Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson Whips N.C. State, 27-9, Improves To 2-1
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 49
| visibility 1

Sep 13, 2008, 8:16 PM

The only trouble with Clemson's 27-9 win over N.C. State Saturday is it didn't seem to settle down any of the grumblings going on about this Clemson football team. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Over the last 10 years, "whips" apparently has apparently

Sep 13, 2008, 8:35 PM

lost its meaning.

You ain't kidding. This is where the program has sunk too.

Sep 13, 2008, 8:47 PM

Whips? LOL

I was thinking the same thing.***

Sep 13, 2008, 8:48 PM [ in reply to Over the last 10 years, "whips" apparently has apparently ]

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

not that I agree with the headline, but a lot of Danny ball

Sep 13, 2008, 8:53 PM

games had similar scores. We had some bad offenses at times. I sure miss the defense and the O lines however.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But w/ DF you knew they wouldn't have a chance to score.***

Sep 13, 2008, 10:04 PM

Re: But w/ DF you knew they wouldn't have a chance to score.***

Sep 15, 2008, 8:27 PM

We did give up those 3......DF shutout all ACC teams. He also counted to infinity twice. The ACC sucks now and was terrific in the 80's.

Re: Clemson Whips N.C. State, 27-9, Improves To 2-1

Sep 13, 2008, 8:54 PM

I think CLemson would have scored over 40 if Davis had not played. The possessions in which he did not carry the ball, the offense rolled. Davis is not a good fit for this Clemson team...we need to go with the speedy back in Spiller and throw a lot. Davis up the middle isn't going to get it done.

James Davis is way too good to not be on the field...

Sep 13, 2008, 9:09 PM

Some people may have forgotten what he has done for this team . He probably saved Bowden's job a couple of times in his 4 years here(Yeah I know I know) He had a good year last year and his freshman year. He was banged up his sophomore year. IMHO, he's been one of the finest young men we have had here. You have to be able to run between the tackles and that is his job. When the OL gets better this year==you'll see how it opens the offense. Don't DIS Thunder!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There are people who support davis or Spiller but

Sep 14, 2008, 3:37 AM

one thing is obvious to intelligent or logical people. When Spiller lined up behind Harper he ran like we want a Tiger to. When davis lined up, he didn't do anything. If you want to blame it on the offensive line then go ahead but Spiller did MUCH MUCH better against the same group of O-line men. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out whos the better back.

Re: There are people who support davis or Spiller but

Sep 15, 2008, 10:49 AM

So...Spiller was the better back in ONE GAME and you want to get rid of the back who has CARRIED THE TEAM for the last 3 years? Sheesh!!

Thanks for coming back to the board.

Sep 13, 2008, 9:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson Whips N.C. State, 27-9, Improves To 2-1 ]

I see you still are an idiot.

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

You are garbage***

Sep 13, 2008, 9:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson Whips N.C. State, 27-9, Improves To 2-1 ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hilarious!!

Sep 13, 2008, 9:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson Whips N.C. State, 27-9, Improves To 2-1 ]

"I'd rather not have the most productive back in Clemson history"

-MHeath2

Sep 13, 2008, 10:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson Whips N.C. State, 27-9, Improves To 2-1 ]

Yes to an extent you're right. But, with me saying that let me point out how you're right. You're right about today in that statement. Davis didn't have a good game. Spiller was an underachiever all year last year. In other words you can't judge a guy on one game. Davis will run better, and hopfully the team will play better as a whole sooner or later. I can't remember a time when I walked away from Death Valley disappointed in a 18 point win. The team as a whole didn't look very good today. Bright spots= Ford, Spiller, Kelly(after the 1st quarter), Grisham, and the kicking game. Yes the defense didn't alow a TD but they were horrible on 3rd down. Just my 2 cents.

Sep 13, 2008, 10:40 PM

I have to also say Cullen played well today except for over throwing a few. 14-18 and 20-28 the past 2 games is not bad at all. And some of those were dropped passes.

I wonder if O'Brien is gonna call Tommy for some advice?***

Sep 13, 2008, 10:39 PM

Re: I wonder if O'Brien is gonna call Tommy for some advice?***

Sep 13, 2008, 10:40 PM

Good one. Lol.

Maybe He should . . . we won and they lost.***

Sep 13, 2008, 11:10 PM [ in reply to I wonder if O'Brien is gonna call Tommy for some advice?*** ]

Spiller needs more touches than Davis at tailback***

Sep 13, 2008, 10:50 PM

Re: Spiller needs more touches than Davis at tailback***

Sep 13, 2008, 11:51 PM

That statement shows that you have NO understanding of this game called Football. Both players are great.........but Davis should be the main tailback. Spiller should be the all purpose X-factor........like Reggie Bush when he was at USC.

A win is a win, but there are plenty of concerns. (long)

Sep 13, 2008, 10:56 PM

N.C. State is a BAD team...very bad! It looked like they had absolutely NO offensive gameplan. They basically ran the same play over and over and over again: the draw up the middle out of the shotgun. Then occasionally they would change things up and fake the handoff, then run the QB outside on a keeper or a pass. Granted, they only scored 3 points against our defense and no offensive touchdowns, but they ran the ball fairly effectively and killed the clock. Our defense is too soft, period! We would have been in lots of trouble against any other team with a hint of talent. Penalties also killed them (N.C. State).

The offense played fairly well, however, but could not maintain momentum...partly because it seemed like after every big pass play we had the officials had to review it!! Today it seemed like C.J. was the one hitting the holes harder and J.D. was kinda tip-toeing and dancing to the line. Blocking looked better overall, especially on pass plays, but there's still much room for improvement. After the first play of the game, Harper had a pretty good game throwing the ball. Ford had a huge game and Kelly was very productive as well. Grisham also had a good game, even on special teams with that tackle.

Shhhh!! But so far this season Clemson has figured out how to excel in the kicking game. I think we were very solid on special teams today. Maners can absolutely punt the heck out of the ball...Buchholz didn't miss a kick and kicked a lot of deep kickoffs. Tackling on special teams also looked pretty solid.

It may have not been pretty, but overall it really wasn't that close. I would have taken an ugly win vs. Boston College last year, wouldn't you? We have a lot of improving to do, but that's why there's 12 games on the schedule rather than just 3. A 1-0 start to the ACC schedule, regardless of the opponent, is very key. Toughen-up the defense, limit the turnovers on offense, and we can still have a great season.

GO TIGERS!!

This is BS. The offensive line looked like a bunch of

Sep 13, 2008, 11:12 PM

little girls today. James and CJ created almost every chance they got. No, I wouldn't say that to their faces. They would kill me. I wish they would try to kill opposing teams defensive lines. Someone needs to get those boys angry.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

davis didn't create anything today

Sep 14, 2008, 4:02 AM

you must just include James in anything that involves Spiller.

I honestly hope none of our boys read these posts.

Sep 14, 2008, 12:49 AM

They go out every week, working incredibly hard to perfect the game they love, and that we love watching, only to have "fans" complain about how they played. I'm sick of the pessimism and the bashing of every aspect of this team. While everyone is entitled to their opinion, I just seriously hope that none of our players read some of these opinions. Instead of critiquing every single facet of our football team, why not try some encouragement? Go watch these boys before a game, after a game, on the practice fields, in the weight room, or while they're studying film, and thank them for being so dedicated to getting better, and for having so much heart, soul, and passion for the game of football. And if you honestly don't think they have that heart, I'd like to see any one of you say that to them in person.

Re: I honestly hope none of our boys read these posts.

Sep 14, 2008, 8:43 AM

Amen Brother, Amen. Preach On!

Sep 14, 2008, 1:36 PM [ in reply to I honestly hope none of our boys read these posts. ]

I hope they do read Tigernet and get mad at what is being written about them.Did you see Joe Bostic call out the offensive line in the paper last week?I would love to see them Saturday come out and get extremely physical.Both lines need to play controlled angry.It would be nice to see an offensive lineman hit a defensive lineman so hard that he needed medical attention.It would be nice to see an opposing teams running back on the ground and could not get up after a hard lick by a linebacker.As a team,we play like a powder puff team.

Sep 14, 2008, 2:08 PM [ in reply to I honestly hope none of our boys read these posts. ]

If they are working as hard you say,its not showing on the field.

Sep 14, 2008, 9:11 AM

I'm no Bowden fan, I wish he were gone, but have we as fans come to place where we cannot even enjoy a win? God help us.

Davis should not be in the game? A man who could potentially break the all time rushing mark at Clemson should be watching from the sideline? How quickly we forget!! Keep your day job buddy, you have no future in analyzing the game. Wait!! I take that back. Mark and Lou show everyday on ESPN you be an idiot and still make a living at it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 14, 2008, 11:42 AM

I certainly agree! Do any of you guys remember all the things Davis has done for this program? Do you remember all the posts last year begging him to stay at Clemson? Some of you guys really really need to get over yourselves and let the guys play football. You base your entire identity on a bunch of 20 years and refuse to ever be happy with ANYTHING! What would it take for most of you to EVER say anything positive.

Am I happy with the way the season has started? No, but we have 9 more games. Can we please TRY to get behind this team with some positivity and not beat them up repeatedly?

Sep 14, 2008, 1:05 PM

The definition of whipping must have changed over the years if that is what we did to State yesterday.Alabama gave us a whipping;we let a bad State team stay in the game.On the positive side,CJ Spiller had a good a good game as well as Bowers,Thompson,and Stanley Hunter.Jacoby Ford had a good game.However,the negatives that came out of the Alabama game are still very much a problem.We are still not physical enough to compete with the better teams on our schedule.Our linebackers dont have a clue what they are supposed to do.Our interior defensive line is being pushed around way too much.If a physical team can go north/south on us ,we are in trouble.Look at thr third down success by State yesterday.Maryland looked solid yesterday.We also know that Wake,BC,and FSU will attack us at our weak spots.I am still not sold on the offensive line.Whose fault is this?You have to put some blame on the coaches for not preparing this team to be ready physically and mentally.Tommy is a poor motivatior with no fire in him.The players share some blame in this area as well.I am not advocating that we fire any coach at this time but let the season ride itself out.We have one game left to work out the kinks.If we can achieve this improvement,we have the talent to be ACC champs.However,failure to reach that game is a sign that we have stagnated as a program.Tommy Bowden has been at Clemson for ten years with nothing football wise to show for it.Given the talent he has this year,he has no excuses.He asked for better facilities and got them.He recruited better players,but the results have been the same.If we fail to win the ACC ,a coaching change has to be made for the good of Clemson football.

Sep 14, 2008, 1:29 PM

Let me add one thing to this post.The BOTS,Dr. Barker,and TDP are only concerned about the national academic standing of Clemson in the country.They want a competitive football program but ACC championships are not required.If you gave them their choice,a top ten ranking in US News and World Report is far more important than a top ten finish in football.Until this policy at Clemson is reversed, we neeed to be prepared to accept a mediocre football program.With this policy in mind,i have one question.Why do you charge the amounts for tickets that we do?Why ask big donors to pony up more money when athletics dont matter?

I literally laughed out loud at this post.

Sep 14, 2008, 1:51 PM

If you gave them their choice,a top ten ranking in US News and World Report is far more important than a top ten finish in football.Until this policy at Clemson is reversed, we neeed to be prepared to accept a mediocre football program.

What a shame that we have a university president that would take a top ten ranking in US News and World Report over a top ten finish in football.

Geez. Some of you people need to step away and get some perspective.

null

Re: I literally laughed out loud at this post.

Sep 14, 2008, 2:00 PM

Laugh all you want but just ask all the big time Iptay donors what they want.They dont pay thousands of dolllars a year to see a mediocre football team.

Re: I literally laughed out loud at this post.

Sep 14, 2008, 2:12 PM [ in reply to I literally laughed out loud at this post. ]

Remember the AARC fiasco two years ago?What was it about?

No one is saying that we don't have issues, Bobby, but

Sep 15, 2008, 12:45 PM

THIS is just too funny.

If you gave them their choice,a top ten ranking in US News and World Report is far more important than a top ten finish in football.Until this policy at Clemson is reversed, we neeed to be prepared to accept a mediocre football program.

If you want to root for a school where this program is REVERSED, my I suggest looking to the mighty SEC for your poison? I think you'll find it more to your liking.

"Reversed". Lol.

null

Re: No one is saying that we don't have issues, Bobby, but

Sep 15, 2008, 9:58 PM

I am Tiger to the core.I will withhold any money that might help academics and encourage others to do the same.

What!?!?......I know you're upset, but you can't be

Sep 15, 2008, 10:02 PM

serious about that!

There's a reason its called Clemson UNIVERSITY, not Clemson Football, INC

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lol. Good luck with the anti-academics campaign.

Sep 15, 2008, 11:58 PM [ in reply to Re: No one is saying that we don't have issues, Bobby, but ]

Not in the most unimaginative southern football movie would a booster say something so ridiculous.

Again I say, you may want to consider the SEC or perhaps the NFL.

null

Well dad gum I cain't buh-leave tha prez-uh-dee-yunt wawnts

Sep 14, 2008, 2:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson Whips N.C. State, 27-9, Improves To 2-1 ]

Clempson to ejumacate youngsters! Wat about the foot-bawl team? That's what matters! Yee haw!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Well dad gum I cain't buh-leave tha prez-uh-dee-yunt wawnts

Sep 14, 2008, 10:35 PM

I am not saying that academics is not important in college.The truth is tha 1a college football is about big business not education.There is no reason that our student athletes cannot get a degree from Clemson.However,you cant be Harvard in academics and a school like Florida in athletics.There has to be a happy medium.Success in any major BCS college football program is measured by championships and wins and losses.It is not measured by gradustion rates.Can anybody show a major accomplishment in Tommy Bowdens ten years at Clemson?

Re: Well dad gum I cain't buh-leave tha prez-uh-dee-yunt wawnts

Sep 15, 2008, 2:16 PM

Major Accomplishment: Tommy and Nick Saban are the only 2 active FBS coaches without a losing season, ever!

Prez SHOULD value academics over football. No contradiction.

Sep 15, 2008, 12:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson Whips N.C. State, 27-9, Improves To 2-1 ]

Barker is shooting for a Top 20 academic rating among PUBLIC universities, as he should. He's not trying to compete with private schools like Harvard. There is no reason why Clemson can't be a perennial football powerhouse AND a Top 20 academic institution (like Michigan). I'd say that the two goals are symbiotic. A perennially top tier football team would attract better (non-football-playing) high school seniors in near toss-up situations, and it would draw better students from around the country. Unfortunately, Barker just doesn't consider championship football to be one of his priorities.

Re: Prez SHOULD value academics over football. No contradiction.

Sep 15, 2008, 9:53 PM

If we fail to strive for ACC chamoipnships,then why compete?The goal of any sports program is to be the best.Academics can coexist with athletics at Clemson.This war started after Danny Ford was forced to resign and continues to this day.Why did we recruit James Davis or CJ Spiller?Was it so that they could get a good education?I hope they graduate with honors,but the real reason we recruited them was because of their football skills>Their job is to win games.I take you all back to 1981 when we won the national championship.Out of state admissions skyrocketed the next year because of our athletic prowess.For all you academic ivory tower dreamers,a strong athletic program is the enticement that attracts students.Also, 1a college football has nothing to do with education.It is a multi million dollar business.If the kids get their degrees,thats great.Dont lose sight of the real reason they are there.

OF course academics are valued higher and they shoudl

Sep 15, 2008, 2:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson Whips N.C. State, 27-9, Improves To 2-1 ]

CU is an academic institution. surely you are not suggesting they move football ahead of education are you? if so, find another team because that priority will not change.
they charge what they do for tickets b/c they can. however, to state that athletics do not matter is going over the top.

+1 everything has changed for the better.....

Sep 15, 2008, 10:37 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson Whips N.C. State, 27-9, Improves To 2-1 ]

faciltity, recruiting etc... but the only thing that hasnt changed is the coaching! If he doesnt prove this year that he can take us to the next level... something has to be done!

Re: +1 everything has changed for the better.....

Sep 15, 2008, 11:39 AM

Our pessimistic view of the team a lot of times spurs from ESPN blowhards ranking teams in ridiculous spots before the season as well as handing out "pre-season" awards. No one knew how well Harper would play or how the o-line would do...no one knew how well Spiller and Davis would do. These are 20 year old guys doing their best. Lets be happy with our wins, sad with our losses and look to coaching to take care of the rest. Be mad and raise hell when Delhomme blows a game, since he make a couple of million, but when Harper throws an interception, we should be saying, "we are behind you, just make better decisions next time. At least our coach isn't named Spurrier and worship a ####. Be proud that our parents taught us right from wrong and we are Clemson fans!!!!

Sep 15, 2008, 7:14 PM

Agree

Sep 15, 2008, 9:42 PM [ in reply to +1 everything has changed for the better..... ]

No ACC title this year!If that happens,Tommy should be run out of town.

Sep 15, 2008, 7:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson Whips N.C. State, 27-9, Improves To 2-1 ]

Agree there is much to address and Whips is probably a lot strong, but will take an ugly win over a loss any day. As for Spiller/Davis my thought on that is who ever has the hot hand sould be on the field and on that day it was Spiller. I saw a fire in the running of Spiller and Ford (after the catch) that I haven't seen in a while, I hope it continues.

Replies: 49
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic