Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Jake Venables
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

Jake Venables

Feb 1, 2017, 1:10 PM

Will he be given a scholarship next year or will his family pay his way through school to allow for an extra scholarship to be given? I'm pretty sure his dad earns a good salary and can afford it.

I am aware that he is a different level of player than Swinney but I selfishly hope he is not on scholarship so we can try to get another elite player just like him that we would otherwise not have room for.

Opinions?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just reported on WCCP

Feb 1, 2017, 1:12 PM

Jake received an offer from LSU.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Yeah, He's a full scholly player, no matter his father.

Feb 1, 2017, 1:12 PM

He has offers from other schools, LSU and Tex A&M included.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

HeII to the no.

Feb 1, 2017, 1:14 PM

Venanbles earned his scholarship

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

You are right. He earned it. Let him enjoy the recognition.***

Feb 1, 2017, 1:50 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would be willing to bet Venables pays his way

Feb 1, 2017, 1:15 PM

To free up a scholly

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I would be willing to bet Venables pays his way

Feb 1, 2017, 3:44 PM

Bet you are wrong on this. Can see your logic, Brent V can obviously afford it, but I think it is more of a pride thing and giving the kids scholarships if they earn it/are good enough to be a scholarship player.

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Athletic scholarships are not needs based

Feb 1, 2017, 1:15 PM

He earned his scholarship and his father's income plays no part in it (and nor should it).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I get that he earned his scholarship but

Feb 1, 2017, 1:20 PM

put yourself in Brent Venables shoes.

You love the idea of your son going to college for free but you also know the value of one more scholarship in what is expected to be a small class.

I know Venables is more concerned with winning than his earnings. Enough to pay for his son's tuition?

I do want to clarify that I completely agree that Jake is highly sought after and deserves every scholarship offer that he is being given. Once it comes down to numbers I still wonder what Coach Venables will do. If it's up to Dabo then Jake gets a scholarship, but does Coach V overrule and offer to pay to get another top recruit in his son's class?

GOOD POINT AND HIS BONUS FOR WINNING THE NATTY

Feb 1, 2017, 1:23 PM

EVER YEAR MIGHT BE ENOUGH TO PAY FOR HIS SON'S TUITION

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

You are not on swag's happy list ...

Feb 1, 2017, 1:46 PM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=21009598#21009598

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

I think you treat him like the athlete he is

Feb 1, 2017, 1:23 PM [ in reply to I get that he earned his scholarship but ]

He got his offer because he could play (I know you aren't saying otherwise), so he gets his scholarship to go with that.

If Venables decides to do otherwise, that's his choice, but I'd think you treat the player like every other player. You hold him to the scholarship rules and reward him with the scholarship for his efforts.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I completely agree

Feb 1, 2017, 1:24 PM

that Dabo and Clemson should treat the process the same as every other player who is recruited and offered. The only one who can change the plan is Brent Venables himself.

With schollies being as tight as they are, I would pay

Feb 1, 2017, 1:26 PM

if I was Brent, but I wouldn't hold it against him if he chooses not to.

Re: With schollies being as tight as they are, I would pay

Feb 1, 2017, 1:30 PM

Agreed. I feel if I were Venables and knowing the attention and the level of players that Clemson is currently attracting and recruiting I would have a hard time not wanting to get one more.

I do know how much college costs and completely understand him keeping that $100,000 in his pocket.

Re: Jake Venables

Feb 1, 2017, 1:28 PM

Could be wrong but don't the families of employees and the employee themself attend the university at no cost?

Feb 1, 2017, 1:31 PM

I hadn't thought of that. That changes the discussion completely. If that is the case then there is no way he should get a scholarship.

Feb 1, 2017, 1:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Jake Venables ]

hey you are wrong. congrats.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 1, 2017, 1:35 PM

Can you let us all know how you know this? Or are you just spitballing?

Feb 1, 2017, 1:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Jake Venables ]

I have asked that same question elsewhere today but no answer.

Feb 1, 2017, 3:47 PM

as a retired CU employee, i can assure you.... no free or reduced tuition for employees kids.

Feb 1, 2017, 3:59 PM

Thanks, that clears up a lot.

HEII NO!

Feb 1, 2017, 4:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Jake Venables ]

The only discount employees and faculty get is 10% off at the Bookstore.

null

Feb 1, 2017, 1:29 PM

a lot of football players parents make a lot of money. should we ask them to pay their own way also. it aint always about the money. the kids want to belong and feel like they have accomplished something for all their hard work.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We should not ask them to pay.

Feb 1, 2017, 1:34 PM

Are you saying that if they offer to pay their child's tuition to allow the coaches to make their son's team better that we should tell them no so they can be on scholarship?

I understand that it is Venables' call and not the football staff. The football staff must offer the scholarship unless Venables offers to pay.

Someone just brought up that employee's children do not pay for school at Clemson. This changes the whole discussion.

HeII NO

Feb 1, 2017, 4:05 PM

There is no employee, faculty or staff discount except for 10% off at the bookstore.

null

Strange thinking

Feb 1, 2017, 1:39 PM

I understand (somewhat) where you are coming from.

But this is essentially saying to Jake and Brent, hey congratulations on being a smashing success! Kid, you have played well enough to get power 5 scholarship offers and Dad, you make great money... so to reward you for your success and especially for your loyalty to Clemson we are gonna take $100,000 from you over the next 4-5 years and let you pick another family that has a stud football player for a son and give that scholarship to him.

Regardless of BV's loyalty to Clemson or his desire to win, it would be stupid to accept such an idea... especially after he has posted nationally ranked defenses every year he has been here and just one the national championship.

And for Jake, I'm sure he would be much more excited about his family setting aside that money for college (that they don't have to pay because Jake is a baller) and put it in a fund for him as a post graduation gift to kick start life.

Just a thought

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Strange thinking

Feb 1, 2017, 1:45 PM

Why would it be stupid for Dabo to accept this idea from Coach V?

If Venables comes to Dabo and offers to pay so they can recruit another player, how would it be an insult to accept that deal to make the team better?

Feb 1, 2017, 1:55 PM

No disrespect, but how old are you? I'm just curious. I will answer your question but just would like too know to help me answer.

Feb 1, 2017, 2:24 PM

I graduated from college some time ago now and I'm married with a child. I'm not sure what my age matters unless you are guessing that I am in high school or something.

Feb 1, 2017, 3:23 PM

Just trying to gauge where you are coming from. I will admit I guessed you to be fairly young.

Feb 1, 2017, 2:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Strange thinking ]

I didn't say it would be stupid for Dabo to accept it... I said it would be stupid for BV and JV to consider it. BV has proven he can field a great defense and help deliver a Natty. While BV makes over a mill a year, JV does not. And like I said, I am sure JV would rather have the money for his college expenses deferred into something he could actually use down the road to jump start his life. It just wouldn't be wise.

Now, if BV insisted, then it might be stupid for Dabo not to take him up on the offer;)

Feb 1, 2017, 2:30 PM

I understand that for many people it's an obvious decision to save the money and set up a fund. However with no knowledge of BV's financial decisions, I would imagine that the amount of time he has been in the business he may be able to pay for his son's tuition and also set up a nice fund for his son. Maybe not. Again it's not my decision but knowing BV's competitive nature he may opt for the extra help for the team.

If the Davis twins get schollies then a 3* coach's son can 2***

Feb 1, 2017, 1:59 PM

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Just give Venables a raise in the amount of what tuition costs

Feb 1, 2017, 2:38 PM

Then its essentially the same thing and it frees up the scholly.

Re: Just give Venables a raise in the amount of what tuition costs

Feb 1, 2017, 3:40 PM

I remember watching Jimmy Howard play football at Clemson when his father was head Coach. I don't know for 100% sure that he was on scholarship but I do think that he was. He was a good player in high school and in college.

Jimmy Howard would play Clemson football, fullback, under his father in the early 1960's
https://clemsonwiki.com/wiki/Frank_Howard

Feb 1, 2017, 3:54 PM [ in reply to Just give Venables a raise in the amount of what tuition costs ]

sooo.. when Jake graduates, do you then DECREASE BV's salary back to his previous level? for discussion, let's say the cost for young Jake is $15K/year. with BV's tax bracket, you'd have to give him much more than a $15K raise for him to realize enough to pay for jake. then, the university has to pay fringes on the raise you gave BV... and fringes i think run around 35% of base salary. next, if you did decrease the salary when the kid graduates, how long do you think it would be before the ncaa was asking questions?

just let our admn and staff figure it out.. they been pretty successful.

Feb 1, 2017, 4:02 PM

I'm surprised that children of Clemson faculty don't get free tuition. I have family that work at Furman and his daughters get a free education as long as they can meet the academic requirements.

Feb 1, 2017, 4:03 PM

My son and DIL both work for a University and their children get free tuition.

Feb 1, 2017, 4:07 PM

I'm pretty sure there are several players who can afford to pay but they all get scholarships.

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic