Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Jack has been a great coach at Clemson, and I'm not calling
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Jack has been a great coach at Clemson, and I'm not calling

Jun 1, 2014, 3:40 PM

for his head, BUT if he is let go or steps down, it's ridiculous to suggest that Clemson could not hire another top-notch coach who could be wildly successful here. Jack leaving would not be the end of the world for Clemson baseball.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Jack has been a great coach at Clemson, and I'm not calling

Jun 1, 2014, 3:59 PM

absolutely correct! it would be in fact the first step in our return to Tiger baseball glory!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe. My point is, the fear that we may not be able to get

Jun 1, 2014, 4:20 PM

another great coach should not factor in to any decision regarding Leggett. It's very possible that we could hire a dud, but we should be very capable of attracting some very good coaches.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Maybe. My point is, the fear that we may not be able to get

Jun 1, 2014, 7:33 PM

Good coaches,or a coach that can get us back to Omaha.
If you only want a good coach,why not keep Leggett?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I didn't say we shouldn't.***

Jun 1, 2014, 7:47 PM

- H. L. Mencken

Re: Maybe. My point is, the fear that we may not be able to get

Jun 1, 2014, 9:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Maybe. My point is, the fear that we may not be able to get ]

Jack is a bad coach in the last five years. Don't let the door hit you on the way out Jack.

Jun 1, 2014, 4:36 PM

There is no disputing Clemson could attract a top flight coach. But. regardless of what people on here say, you're seeking to replace a great coach not just a good coach. When exactly in the last twenty years has Clemson gone out and made a homerun hire in coaching for any sport? Dabo was a happy accident but most certainly was not a marquee hire. One middle tier mid-major basketball coach after another. And the rest of our sports are treated as less than after-thoughts.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, Jack has been a great coach; I said that.

Jun 1, 2014, 4:58 PM

Whether or not he is still a great coach, or has the program going in the right direction is a legitimate question however, and is a separate issue and irrelevant to my point. Once that has been determined, then my point becomes relevant.

For instance, if DRad decides that JL is doing a good enough job, then case closed. But, if he decides it's time for a change, attracting other great or potentially great coaches will not be a question.

Whether or not we have made "home run hires" in other sports in the last 20 years is irrelevant when it comes to deciding if Jack should stay or go, but is definitely a matter of opinion. There is no guarantee that we would get another coach that would be as successful as Leggett has been, but there is also no guarantee that Leggett will ever replicate his past success. When things are going bad and heading in the wrong direction (IF that is the case), then a change should be made.

- H. L. Mencken

Jun 1, 2014, 7:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Jack has been a great coach at Clemson, and I'm not calling ]

He is not a great coach! Great coaches don't let a nationally relevant program slide to irrelevance. Great coaches win more than 25% of their games against top 10 teams. Great coaches don't lose to the likes of Liberty, Xavier, and Connecticut. Great coaches in their 21st year at a school do not have to defend their program. Great coaches don't have to pray for a bid to make the NCAA tourney. Great coaches don't bunt their clean-up hitter in the bottom of the first inning. Great coaches win. Great coaches respect their school and it's fans.

Jack is not a great coach. Never has been. He was handed a great program on a silver platter and ever since O'Sullivan and Corbin left the program has been in a slow decline. Now it is in free fall.

How anyone can look at what he has done the last six years and call it great is either a relative or lives in fantasy land. If it is the latter please let me know...I would love to live there as well.

Thank you tomcat. These people lost me with great coach

Jun 1, 2014, 8:24 PM

talk. Great coaches have trophies, not their mouth, to show they are great. Jack has run his record up against mid-level teams and now, he can't even beat them more than 50% of the time. He wasn't great in the past, he isn't now and won't be in the future. His time should be over.

Matter of opinion. About 1/4 of his wins have come against

Jun 1, 2014, 8:49 PM

teams ranked in the top 25. Before this season, 125 of them were over teams ranked in the top 10. He's had 6 trips to the CWS (about every 3.5 years). 4 regular season conference titles and 2 ACC Tourney championships. 8 regional titles.

I think a case can be made for "great", but it's okay if people disagree. Either way, the question is not whether he has been great, but where is our program now and where is it headed.

- H. L. Mencken

He's an average coach. Always has been.***

Jun 1, 2014, 8:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Jack has been a great coach at Clemson, and I'm not calling ]

It was that kind of "fear"...

Jun 1, 2014, 4:58 PM

that allowed Jellyfish Bowden to pull that ruse with Arky that ended up costing us big $$$ and years with our football program. By the end it was clear that Bowden was worthless as a football coach - unhireable!

Can Clemson find a great coach to hire for our baseball program? Absolutely!! Jack's effectiveness is at an end. The sooner he goes the sooner we can begin the rebuilding process.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 1, 2014, 5:48 PM

Not even!!! Clemson has sold her self to a many of good coaches. And Clemson will continue to do so!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 1, 2014, 7:31 PM

And which top notch coach do you suggest that would leave a successful program to come to Clemson.

(Remember,if he has not had success at another school,why would we want him?)

Do you not think head baseball coach at Clemson is an

Jun 1, 2014, 7:44 PM

attractive job?

- H. L. Mencken

Good, not great.

Jun 1, 2014, 7:58 PM

Great coaches win championships and beat their rival

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good, not great.

Jun 1, 2014, 9:00 PM

Well stated my friend. Few words............huge message. Bravo!

Jun 1, 2014, 9:38 PM

He has been a good coach not a great one.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic