Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Crossroads: Big decisions ahead for Clemson baseball
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

New Story: Crossroads: Big decisions ahead for Clemson baseball

Jun 1, 2015, 12:48 PM

Crossroads: Big decisions ahead for Clemson baseball

To say that Clemson’s baseball programs is at a crossroads is like saying Mt. Everest is a nice little walk – the saying itself doesn’t do the enormity of the task at hand justice. The future of Clemson baseball could be decided this week. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So davidhood, are you saying we should

Jun 1, 2015, 12:57 PM

stay near a computer?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

I will be surprised if something isn't announced THIS week***

Jun 1, 2015, 1:02 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

It almost has to be this week

Jun 1, 2015, 3:21 PM

That way Clemson (and Jack) have time to interview folks and make those kinds of contacts during the CWS. Championship locations are very often huge resume exchanges and we shouldn't miss out on that (and we should give Jack that same opportunity).

The great thing about being a beat reporter is no matter

Jun 1, 2015, 3:24 PM [ in reply to So davidhood, are you saying we should ]

what happens there will be a great story to write about.
If jack stays then it is a story about the future. If
Jack retires another great story line. If Jack is no longer
with the program then you can speculate on the next hire.
A win, win, win situation and they all induce clicks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So davidhood, are you saying we should

Jun 1, 2015, 6:03 PM [ in reply to So davidhood, are you saying we should ]

Don't answer that David, the childish ones on here don't feel you have a right to your opinion and will TD you. They were never taught that it was ok to have a difference of opinion!!! I didn't make it that way, that's just the way that it is!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Crossroads: Big decisions ahead for Clemson baseball

Jun 1, 2015, 1:00 PM

I understand the recruiting argument but at the end of the day it seemed like there was plenty of talent on the team. Enough to win more games than we did. They were just too inconsistent. It's the job of the coaches to help talent maximize its potential and focus on consistent high level performance.

Jun 1, 2015, 1:02 PM

Our talent was better than our final record.

A team that lacks talent doesnt go into FSU and sweep them.

FWIW I think he will be back next year for a final farewell tour.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

the teams greatest weaknesses were in the field & pitching

Jun 1, 2015, 1:08 PM

depth, both played out over the course of the season.

there is talent and when the fielding was solid & starting pitching worked deep into the game, clemson was a strong side[used in support of my nonhetero soccer friends].

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 1, 2015, 1:17 PM

David, can you expand a bit on the financial aid package to out of state players? You mention "not like South Carolina" What does this mean?

I believe other schools have been classifying out-of-state

Jun 1, 2015, 1:25 PM

players as in-state so that they are charged in-state tuition rates. That could be a $30000 or more difference over 4 years.

How can they do that?***

Jun 1, 2015, 2:11 PM

Academic Common Market

Jun 1, 2015, 2:58 PM

It is an agreement between universities in different states where in-state tuition is charged to an out-of-state student from the agreed upon states when a student wants to major in something the state from which they reside does not offer it. So if a Virginia student wants to major in international business, and they don't have that major at any in-state school, they could come to USuC for SC in-state tuition. This then allows a student to get a NCAA allowed 0.25 scholarship for roughly $2500 of the in-state $10,000 and only owe $7500 out of pocket whereas if no ACM was available, that same student would either get $6000 of scholarship on a $24,000 out-of-state bill OR the university would have to give them a much higher scholarship allotment to even out the money. To make an equivalent $7500 out of pocket expense to the student would require a school to offer a 0.69 scholarship and with only 11.5 total...that makes a huge difference.

Re: Academic Common Market

Jun 1, 2015, 3:21 PM

we should have been charging out of state athletics in-state for many years!! stupid not to.. why is Clemson determined to penalize the baseball program in this way???????????????

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Familiar with ACM and I thought we started it this year

Jun 1, 2015, 3:44 PM [ in reply to Academic Common Market ]

So the only difference between us and SCar might be that SCar offers some "custom" degree programs just to squeak into the ACM requirements and Clemson won't do that. In a way similar to our JUCO transfer stance but not as limited or rigid.

Re: I believe other schools have been classifying out-of-state

Jun 1, 2015, 3:24 PM [ in reply to I believe other schools have been classifying out-of-state ]

I thought this huge injustice was corrected years ago!no reason for it to still be a problem!

In state / Out of state at Clemson (REPOST)

Jun 1, 2015, 8:20 PM

In state tuition is used at Clemson also as part of a scholarship regardless of any other factors. Example is say you give an out of state player $10K to play at Clemson. Also say that the difference between in state and out of state rates is $5,000. Then what they do is automatically give the player "In state" tuition via a waiver and then they only pay another $5,000 out to the player to fulfill his scholarship. Unless this has changed and I do not believe it has

See my post above. Clemson does thsi also*

Jun 1, 2015, 8:13 PM [ in reply to I believe other schools have been classifying out-of-state ]

. UNLESS it has changed recently which could be possible

Jack leg

Jun 1, 2015, 1:19 PM

As much as I appreciate what JL has been able to do with our program. I'm tired of poor defense, poor base running, and poor at-bats with RISP. All we have to do is field two routine ground balls to the outfield and we save at least two runs against Pepperdine. We are constantly running ourselves into outs on the bases. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a called strike three with a RISP. Or not being able to get a guy home from third with less than two out.... Yes the players have to make plays. But if enough of them are never making "the plays" there comes a time when defending your players "effort" is just not going to cut it anymore. I think he has got away from the basic fundamentals of baseball or at least not focusing on it. I've seen us GIVE away too many games from poor decision making on the coach and players part, which I feel is the coaches fault for not going over scenarios and having them engraved in our players head.

Jun 1, 2015, 1:20 PM

Change coming, or will NoNad DRad let Jack continue...Jack could make it easy on us by announcing that he is going to retire rather than make us do the deed ( that is always an ugly way to end things--just ask Bobby Bowden ). I'm glad that son Tommy had better judgement and class in football for CU than his daddy did for FSU ).

The only decisions that need making are

Jun 1, 2015, 1:26 PM

1. Who will be our next coach?
2. What are we going to do about uniforms and shoes?

Re: The only decisions that need making are

Jun 1, 2015, 3:18 PM

unis and shoes are absolutely great!! make NO CHANGES there! now coach is another matter

What are other teams doing to "make it work?"

Jun 1, 2015, 2:13 PM

Besides schools like Vanderbilt that are finding money from places Clemson doesn't have, what are other schools doing to work around the challenges?

I think that might have been David's way of saying

Jun 1, 2015, 2:59 PM

"coaching", but that could just be me reading too much into it.

Florida, Florida State, Louisville, LSU, aTm, OkSt***

Jun 1, 2015, 7:35 PM [ in reply to What are other teams doing to "make it work?" ]

Those schools allocate more money to baseball

Jun 1, 2015, 7:43 PM

My question is about how other schools in the same money situation as Clemson overcome it.

Jun 1, 2015, 3:16 PM

we both have 11.7 scollys so HOW can the c$$ts offer more than we can and why??how does Vandy use their endowment money to exceed 11.7 scollys??why does the Clemson admin and BOT allow this to happen?? why does the NCAA allow this to happen?

SC has been in the ACM for years

Jun 1, 2015, 3:26 PM

that and they basically have tryouts every fall. But they other thing they've used is geography and Palmetto scholarships. Atlanta and all its baseball talent is much closer to Clemson but that also means that we are offering more out of state students. Those Atl kids can't use HOPE scholarships in Clemson so they look at Kennesaw St etc.

There is nothing that can be done about using foundation money to offset scholarships if those opportunities are available to all students.

Jun 1, 2015, 3:33 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Crossroads: Big decisions ahead for Clemson baseball ]

IF YOU LOOKED INTO IT A LITTLE BIT LITE YOU MAY LEARN A LITTLE BIT INSTEAD OF BLASTING THE COACH WITH YOUR EVERY POST.

Re: I wonder if Wofford and PC are at a disadvantage.***

Jun 1, 2015, 8:56 PM

Re: I wonder if Wofford and PC are at a disadvantage.***

Jun 1, 2015, 9:57 PM

Most private schools have bigger endowments and/or they have more scholarship $$$/funding available due to the annual tuition, room & board, etc. discrepancies. I discovered this when my son attended college playing soccer at a D-III school.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

JL Issues Remain

Jun 1, 2015, 5:06 PM

I wish nothing but the best for JL but it's time for CU Baseball to move on:
- He has never recruited well in the Charleston area that has produced a bunch of MLB talent over the last 10 years. The area fed our arch rival plenty of talent along with CofC who is still playing. Nobody on current roster from Charleston area.
- His current staff has been ineffective in this new world of baseball. I think JL has had some of the best assistants in the game (O'Sullivan and Corbin as a couple) but this current staff has never produced a confident team. That is his responsibility but I truly believe a lack of fundamentals is a coaching issue more than a player issue.

Big decision myyass, it's easy

Jun 1, 2015, 6:01 PM

Jack does what was done for him. Select the replacement, bring him on staff (if necessary) and announce it's Jack's last season.

-Doc

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Crossroads?!?!? Looks more like a dead end to me

Jun 1, 2015, 6:15 PM

I hope the Rad-Man jumps quick on this and doesn't get stuck with a re-tread or reject from another program. I'm sure many folks will be throwing out Corbin & O'Sullivan as replacements, but can't see them even considering leaving the sweet setups that they have going now. This is a bit of a contradiction on some "new blood" as he is a protege` of Jack, but he is well removed from any real connection as a coach. Native of Dalton, GA & his dad owns the famous "Carpets of Dalton" and I coached him as a 9-10 year old at the Rec Center and he was obviously quite talented even then.

http://gseagles.com/coaches.aspx?rc=229&path=baseball

Radishovich has a busy week of golf...maybe next week***

Jun 1, 2015, 7:22 PM

nm

Jun 1, 2015, 7:31 PM

In my opinion,the only real decision to be made is that of Coach Leggett. Why on earth would a hall of fame coach, who's given his blood,sweat and tears, who's given his all, to Clemson baseball want to return for another season of ridicule and harassment from a bunch of self serving band wagon fans.

As a Clemson baseball season ticket holder the last 21 years, I have been through the ups and downs of the program. The one constant has been Coach Leggett's passion for the game, his loyalty to his players and coaches, and his devotion to Clemson University. The quality of men his has produced far out way any wins or loses.

I've wondered all season what kind of season this could have been if you would of have invested as much of your time in support of the team and coaches as you have in ridiculing it. In this era of "what have you done for me lately" my fear is we have lost focus of what we really have. Coach thank you for the many great memories, you deserve better. For all you "Jack Haters" may I warn you, "be careful what you wish for".

Jun 1, 2015, 7:46 PM

This is easy . We need a new coach. Thank you Jack for what you have done but this program needs a new vibrant coach.

Jun 1, 2015, 9:28 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Crossroads: Big decisions ahead for Clemson baseball ]

I agree. What's worse is potential players listening to this garbage from fans and thinking why the hell would I want to go there

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Jun 1, 2015, 9:48 PM

If JL is still head coach next year, I don't blame them for going some where else. Of course they can always go to the Clemson Insider where the JL cult is worshiping their hero. It's sickening.

Jun 1, 2015, 9:50 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Crossroads: Big decisions ahead for Clemson baseball ]

Sorry Hawkeye, I disagree with your opinion. I'm not a season ticket holder but I AM a former player.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 1, 2015, 11:11 PM

A former player that left disgruntled because of a lack of playing time? Please enlighten us

Jun 1, 2015, 11:06 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Crossroads: Big decisions ahead for Clemson baseball ]

Well said! I could not agree with you more! The negative fans don't help our program for sure. The players and recruits read these posts from the squeaky clueless fair weather fans and it does not help them relax for sure. This season has been played by the players with fans focused on whether jack should be back or not vs rallying behind and supporting the team. Sure does not help players play loose!

Thanks for your input, leggett***

Jun 1, 2015, 11:19 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Crossroads: Big decisions ahead for Clemson baseball ]

nm

Agreed...he has been passionate and loyal...

Jun 2, 2015, 9:58 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Crossroads: Big decisions ahead for Clemson baseball ]

but I believe a change in leadership is needed...Clemson baseball needs a face lift and it starts with coach Leggett. Helluva coach at one time,but time to pass the reigns...imho...

You will always be in the right if you treat others as you want to be treated!

Replies: 43
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic