Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
JFK voted Calhoun as a top 5 senator of all time.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

JFK voted Calhoun as a top 5 senator of all time.

Jun 12, 2020, 9:22 PM

Kinda random trivia.

I wasn't alive, but I'm just skeptical that about Calhoun being a worse human than Clemson.

I mean, Clemson married his daughter and probably had a bunch of the same slaves.

I've got no issues changing the name. I'm just saying, it's hard to know for sure that Calhoun was that bad of a person compared to Clemson. He was a really well respected senator.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The University website has the following interesting info...

Jun 12, 2020, 9:33 PM

In Tillman’s own words in 1912 on the “Origin of Clemson College,” he recounted the events leading to the establishment of the college, along with the discussions that transpired:

The four of us spent nearly the whole day in talking over the new project which Mr. Clemson had in mind in which he unfolded to us. At that time Mr. Clemson had made a will which he showed me in which the scheme was outlined to make of Fort Hill a sort of Mount Vernon a place of pilgrimage for those who admired and loved John C. Calhoun and his political ideas. [16]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yikes. Clemson was buddies with those guys...

Jun 12, 2020, 9:36 PM

You don't say...

Weird deal man. Again. I don't care. But I just doubt that Calhoun was that much worse of a person that Clemson. That's my guess, but I could be wrong.

But they’re cool with the name Clemson. Totally fine.***

Jun 13, 2020, 7:05 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: JFK voted Calhoun as a top 5 senator of all time.

Jun 12, 2020, 10:04 PM

A different time a different culture. You can tear down statures, rename buildings, but you can't change history. You will never move forward by dwelling on the past. Time to move forward is now, or we will be standing still for ever.

Jun 12, 2020, 10:10 PM

I would welcome standing still right now. We are going backward.

Jun 12, 2020, 11:17 PM [ in reply to Re: JFK voted Calhoun as a top 5 senator of all time. ]

You can even put up a wall. No of it matters. Only people can change. You can’t change history.

Jun 12, 2020, 10:41 PM

I havent read on this but heard it mentioned. I'm surprised he was ranked that high even years ago. I have to wonder what their criteria was

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 12, 2020, 11:26 PM

Daniel Webster, Henry Clay, and John C. Calhoun formed what was called the ‘great triumvirate'.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic