Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Charleston Restaurants - Upcoming Trip
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

Charleston Restaurants - Upcoming Trip

Aug 22, 2015, 11:59 PM

I posted about a month ago regarding restaurants in Charleston.

Gonna visit Charleston soon.

First night will be Poogans Porch

Next day will be at Magnolia Plantation in the morning and then later that day hitting some bars and restaurants in downtown Charleston to watch some college football. (The Griffon, Queology)

That night we will eat at Hanks

Following day we will eat lunch at Dukes BBQ and then stay in for a home cooked meal.

Final day will be a brunch at Magnolias

Dinner at Fat Hens.

Do those eats sound good? Any other restaurant I should fit in?

Probably will be too full for breakfast on Saturday or Sunday.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Charleston Restaurants - Upcoming Trip

Aug 23, 2015, 12:03 AM

You have to check out Bowens Island Bar and Grill. Best hole in the wall ever. Have the oysters.

Aug 23, 2015, 12:08 AM

Yes, Bowens was recommended to me when I posted before. For whatever reason, my sister who lives there, scrapped that idea. Do not recall why but it does look pretty cool.

Aug 23, 2015, 12:14 AM

Never, ever, listen to your sister again. You make the decisions, she makes the sammiches. Understand!?

Bowens Island has a great view, open feel, but

Aug 23, 2015, 7:33 AM [ in reply to Re: Charleston Restaurants - Upcoming Trip ]

Its mostly fried food and it is not oyster season.. I would not call it a hole in the wall anymore. It was hole in the wall when the tables were plywood and the dock had holes you had to avoid. :)
Love me some Fat Hen.
Have fun!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Aug 23, 2015, 7:33 AM [ in reply to Re: Charleston Restaurants - Upcoming Trip ]

Its mostly fried food and it is not oyster season.. I would not call it a hole in the wall anymore. It was hole in the wall when the tables were plywood and the dock had holes you had to avoid. :)
Love me some Fat Hen.
Have fun!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Love me some Fat Hen.
Have fun!

null

Re: Bowens Island has a great view, open feel, but

Aug 23, 2015, 11:51 AM

If you post the same message 3 times does it make it come true?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em - The Webb Wilder credo

only because you were there to hear it***

Aug 23, 2015, 1:44 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

On your way to Magnolia Plantation....

Aug 23, 2015, 12:08 AM

if you have time for breakfast, you should stop at Early Bird Diner. Get there around when they open at 8am and there won't be a wait.

Re: On your way to Magnolia Plantation....

Aug 23, 2015, 12:11 AM

What breakfast dish do you recommend?

Aug 23, 2015, 12:11 AM

If you like beer, take a quick ride out to COAST Brewing (about 15 minutes from downtown on the old naval base in N. Charleston)

Aug 23, 2015, 12:12 AM

Are the grits good there. The person I am bringing on the trip with me has never tried grits?

geechie boy grits = good grits***

Aug 23, 2015, 1:46 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

Be sure to check their hours...

Aug 23, 2015, 2:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Charleston Restaurants - Upcoming Trip ]

Most days thru the week COAST is only open from 4-7. Agreed though. The beer is good. Their new brown ale is great and Blackbeerd is incredible.

Aug 23, 2015, 7:50 AM

Edmunds Oast - great small plates, menu changes nightly, farm to table deal AND has the best small batch bourbon list in the city (including dark corner, a small distillery out of Gville, that I had never heard of)

Husk - it's straight up fancy pants food (top of all the "hot restaurant" lists) but my wife and I sat out on the 2nd story porch last week late on a gorgeous unusually cool evening, drank wine and got fatter. Super wine list and also a place that changes it's menu nightly.

Two to consider

Aug 23, 2015, 10:54 AM

Edmunds Oast is awesome. The beer there is incredible - both their own stuff and overall selection

There are a lot of really good restaurants.

Aug 23, 2015, 8:11 AM

Cypress is great (right next door to Magnolias and owned by same ppl), Peninsula Grill is very good, Fleet Landing down on the water has good seafood, Halls and Oak are two high dollar steakhouses that get great reviews (paying that much for steak isn't really my thing though so ive never been to either), and there's actually a very good restaurant at Middleton Place which is right next door to Magnolia Plantation.

Pearlz Oyster Bar on East Bay

Aug 23, 2015, 8:32 AM

is consistently great, and not just for the oysyers (which are awesome). Everything is good, and they make these unbelievable corn fritters.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Swig and Swine--support a Clemson man-swigandswinebbq.com

Aug 23, 2015, 8:45 AM

Fantastic bbq, bourbon, craft beer. One of the owners is a Clemson grad. On Hwy 17 south.
swigandswinebbq.com

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All for one and one for all.

OMG i ate there Thursday night for the first time and

Aug 23, 2015, 10:29 AM

it was insanely good. Best brisket I've ever had by a long shot, and they also had a ridiculously good pork rinds with pimento cheese appetizer. Beer list is good too as you said.

Aug 23, 2015, 10:14 AM

The Grocery, The Ordinary, and R Kitchen. Halls for Sunday brunch. House of Brews in Mount Pleasant for craft beers (owned by a former walk on UNC football player, but he is an awesome guy)

FIG is a no brainer.

Aug 23, 2015, 10:15 AM

It's a lock.

IMHO

Aug 23, 2015, 10:39 AM

you can do much better than Dukes on JI for bbq. Try Hometeam. Even though owner is a Dawg.

Poogans is great for brunch...bloody Mary's and mimosas

Bowers island is a bit overrated. A must visit one time, but once is enough.

Went to 39 Rue de Jean last nite. Love that place! If you like mussels, it is a must visit.

Agreed about Dukes, go to Hometown, try

Aug 23, 2015, 11:42 AM

Coast Bar and Grill on John St., downtown Charleston.

I don't think you have enough time!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

Re: IMHO

Aug 23, 2015, 11:49 AM [ in reply to IMHO ]

Well I think we are going to Dukes because it is all you can eat. I've eaten at HomeTeam before. It was okay.

I'm fine with either but I usually can beat the house when it comes to all you can eat ;)

To the others I've thought about FIG and HUSK but I had to finally settle and choose. HUSK was actually full and couldn't get a reservation and I think FIG may be too expensive and probably doesn't give large portions to satisfy me. (I'm a growing boy).

The steakhouses that are top notch. Considered but I can't find a great steakhouse anywhere and basically the trip is for my friend who has never been to the South or even eaten pulled pork BBQ or grits for that matter.

Curious. For someone that has yet to try good southern fried chicken, which place would it be. My sister says Magnolias serves very good Fried Chicken and we have that on the list.

Poogans serves very good fried chicken.***

Aug 23, 2015, 12:00 PM

As someone who grew up with THE Dukes

Aug 23, 2015, 1:08 PM [ in reply to Re: IMHO ]

bbq in Orangeburg, I am saying that Dukes JI is a disappointment. Bed singers is better if AYCE is what you are looking for.

JB'S Smokeshack....

Aug 23, 2015, 2:02 PM [ in reply to Re: IMHO ]

Is about a mile down the road from Fat Hen and their fried chicken is incredible. Definitely is a "shack" but worth the drive to Johns Island if you want good fried chicken.

Jestines Kitchen. Period.***

Aug 23, 2015, 2:14 PM [ in reply to Re: IMHO ]

null

Definitely do go to the Fat Hen

Aug 23, 2015, 1:49 PM

Moe's cross town is good for brunch lunch and booze

Edmunds Oast is great.....

Aug 23, 2015, 2:09 PM

It's a little different vibe there. They call themselves a brew pub but the food there is really upscale. All of their hoise brews are reallt good and they usually have about 6 house brews on tap plus another 30 or so along with a great wine list if you're a wino! Not like any brew pub I've ever visited. Got a little bit of a hipster vibe and it's kind of tapas style but the wife and I enjoy it from time to time.

Aug 23, 2015, 2:11 PM

The Wreck on Shem Creek it a great dive eatery.

Aug 23, 2015, 3:00 PM

My 3 faves are Cru Cafe,and Hominy Grille in town, and Long Point Grill in Mt. Pleasant

Aug 23, 2015, 3:15 PM

All of those restaurants are good, like most in Charleston. Stop by Sunflower Cafe on your way to Magnolia Plantation (the owner is a Clemson Girl). They serve breakfast and lunch from 8:00 until 2:00. Food is awesome (Magnolia and Middleton Place bring tour buses there quite often). You won't be disappointed.

Hanks and Magnolia?

Aug 23, 2015, 6:35 PM

So many good restaurants to choose from.

Only going to be in Charleston from Friday night to Tuesday morning.

Probably will be too full to eat at all of these places.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Anyone like Hanks or Magnolias? Should I switch my Sunday brunch at Magnolias for something else?

Re: Hanks and Magnolia?

Aug 23, 2015, 11:23 PM

Two really good reasonably priced options that are a bit of a drive are Seewee Restaurant up Hwy 17 and Chez Fish on Main Rd. near Kiawah. Both are great....

Agreed. Two restaurants that I highly recommend having lived

Aug 23, 2015, 11:51 PM [ in reply to Hanks and Magnolia? ]

there.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

skip magnolia

Aug 24, 2015, 11:23 AM [ in reply to Hanks and Magnolia? ]

no longer top tier, imo..the rest are good choices..my current favorite for local fried seafood is roadside seafood on folly road, jim island..for the best hamburger in town, go to moes crosstown, on rutledge across from hampton park.

GoTiguhs!!

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic