Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mickey Plyler's Blog: Changing the Culture
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Mickey Plyler's Blog: Changing the Culture

Feb 11, 2013, 1:28 PM

Changing the Culture

Changing the Culture
Yesterday Milton JenningsMilton Jen

Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: Changing the Culture

Feb 11, 2013, 1:52 PM

Jennings is by far the most over-rated recruit we have ever had at Clemson. I will b glad when he is gone. Hate if you want but its true, we would have been better off if Brownell hadn't let him come back.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How would we be better? He contributes alot, even when his

Feb 11, 2013, 1:54 PM

shot is off...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How would we be better? He contributes alot, even when his

Feb 11, 2013, 2:07 PM

agree that he contributes a lot; a lot of turnovers, a lot of poor rebounding for his size; a lot of poor passes;a lot of very bad decisions; a lot of "lackluster attitude"; a lot of poor hustle; do U need more?OOOOO, poor example for smoking "pot" as a senior leader...

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He has as many assists as Dev and KJ combined, and they

Feb 11, 2013, 3:05 PM

turn it over almost as much, he is outrebounding Ray Sykes, and he has been arrested for "medicating" as much as Sammy...

Re: He has as many assists as Dev and KJ combined, and they

Feb 11, 2013, 3:29 PM

Wow,what a positive post there, CM Shack. You fit very well with the other "naysayer" alleged fans of Clemson.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am in the "realistic" minority when it comes to CU BBall..***

Feb 11, 2013, 3:35 PM

Re: I am in the "realistic" minority when it comes to CU BBall..***

Feb 12, 2013, 8:45 AM

Not sure what realistic means here, but if it means accepting what has been in lieu of what could be, then call me a dreamer. There is no reason Clemson can't move into the upper tier of the ACC in basketball except maybe a lack of desire and a preponderance of negativity all over the websites that recruits can certainly see for themselves. How good is Blossomgame, even now? One shooter, or one penetrating guard, or one serious big man could put us into contention. It's not football. You don't need 20 4-star recruits. How's Butler doing? VCU?

I truly believe Butler and VCU are

Feb 12, 2013, 9:47 AM

outworking the competition.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Heavyweight fights have their ring walks. CFB has Clemson's grandest entrance in sports."
Chris Fowler

Re: I truly believe Butler and VCU are

Feb 12, 2013, 4:36 PM

Me too.

Facts not a strong point??***

Feb 11, 2013, 11:21 PM [ in reply to Re: How would we be better? He contributes alot, even when his ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 11, 2013, 2:18 PM

I think change the type of player. Purnell thought athletic players that run the court first and dunk. They really did not need to be basketball players (ie: Booker and Jennings that miss so many shots around the rim). How about recruiting pure basketball players that know the fundamentals of basketball. Stat worth considering is: Jennings has played 597 minutes with 48 turnovers while Howell at his position for NC st. has played 744 minutes with 39 turnovers. That is 1.05 turnovers per game more at that position alone (4-6 points per game) and it is the same across the board at the other positions. You can't win given away the ball. Booker and Jennings never got better on their fundamentals and I am surprised we are as competitive as we are with them as our senior leaders. Fundamental basketball is what Clemson is, and has been, missing for many years (I can argue since Bill Foster) but Rick Barnes brouht it for awhile. Everybody talks about what a great coach Purnell was but I beg to differ. He won his share of games from his athletes but when he got into NCAA tourny time and played deciplined fundamental basketball teams...well record speaks for itself! Just because you can jump out of the gym and run like a deer doesn't qualify you to be a basketball player. By the way in year 3 at Depaul Purnell is 1-9 in his conference. We need to flush out the old and bring in the new before you start talking about how good the coach is. Change the player and the culture will change too.

Feb 11, 2013, 3:59 PM

IF I COULD GIVE YOU MULTIPLE "HIGH FIVES" I WOULD. THAT WAS AN OUTSTANDING POST WITH FACTS TO BACK IT UP. DEVIN BOOKER IS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO BEING THE PLAYER HIS BROTHER WAS AT CLEMSON. IS THAT A NEGATIVE AGAINST DEVIN AS A PERSON, ABSOLUTELY NOT, BUT THE FACTS ARE THE FACTS. SECONDLY, NOTHING PERSONAL AGAINST MILTON JENNINGS, BUT IF HE IS A McDONALDS ALL AMERICAN, THEN I WILL BE TAKING OVER FOR THE POPE SHORTLY. AFTER THOSE TWO PLAYERS WE ARE PLAYING SOPHOMORES. TO TURN A TEAM AROUND LIKE DUKE (THEY DON'T NEED IT) OR UNC, MAY TAKE ONLY A COUPLE OF YEARS, BUT TO TURN CLEMSON AROUND IN TWO OR THREE YEARS IS ASKING FOR THE IMPOSSIBLE, IMHO. BROWNELL CAN COACH AND HE CAN RECRUIT BUT HE WAS FACING A MONUMENTAL TASK AT CLEMSON AND HE IS MAKING PROGRESS. IF YOU TAKE ALL OF THE THE VERY CLOSE GAMES THAT WE LOST AND TURN THEM INTO VICTORIES, ALL OF YOU ALLEGED FANS WOULD BE SHOUTING BROWNELL'S PRAISE, BUT WE DIDN'T WIN THOSE GAMES BECAUSE WE AREN'T THERE YET. REPLACE THE COACH AND WE START OVER AGAIN, WHICH I DON'T SUBSCRIBE TO. GIVE THE COACH THE FACILITIES AND SUPPORT HE NEEDS AND WE CAN MOVE FROM MEDIOCRITY TO EXCELLENCE. RICK BARNES AND OLIVER PURNELL, IMHO, SUCKED THE LIFE OUT OF THE EXITING PROGRAM WHEN THEY WERE AT CLEMSON AND LEFT US WITH A SHADOW TEAM. BROWNELL HAS ACCEPTED WHAT PURNELL LEFT US AND HE IS PROGRESSING AND I, FOR ONE, SUPPORT HIM WHOLEHEARTEDLY! NOW, AD RADAKOVICH, LET'S GET SOME MONEY SPENT ON BASKETBALL FACILITIES TO SUPPORT OUR COACH. I AM DONE, IT IS "HAPPY HOUR" TIME!

I apologize for the CAPS!

Message was edited by: hinds1962®

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with you, and feel we need to start playing

Feb 11, 2013, 4:47 PM

the young guys, with the exception of Booker. For better or worse, the young guys are the future of this program, and they may as well start getting better now.

Re: I agree with you, and feel we need to start playing

Feb 11, 2013, 5:12 PM

I agree also-lets relegate MJ to the end of the bench where he belongs and play the youngters even if they have to take their lumps!

why does Dev get a pass? He has 6 less TO's...***

Feb 11, 2013, 5:18 PM [ in reply to I agree with you, and feel we need to start playing ]

Because Devin booker brings consistent play

Feb 12, 2013, 4:43 PM

Jennings is still as inconsistent as he was when he came to clemson

clearly you haven't watched him his entire career...***

Feb 13, 2013, 2:00 PM

Re: clearly you haven't watched him his entire career...***

Feb 13, 2013, 2:39 PM

Clearly you haven't watched him. He's a freakin SR. and plays like he's still in HS. He is just not good. Sunday he should have given the ball back to hall BUT NOOOOO he wants to be the hero. He was a ZERO

What's up with them gurly looking shoes????
That's not Clemson colors

We were discussing Dev...***

Feb 13, 2013, 2:41 PM

Feb 11, 2013, 7:23 PM

We change the culture by stop trashing our players and coaches, both present and past. And by showing up for ballgames.

Milton is the cancer of the team....

Feb 11, 2013, 8:01 PM

nm

Re: Milton is the cancer of the team....

Feb 11, 2013, 9:24 PM

Have to agree....

Not sure how losing to Scar is a good analogy

Feb 11, 2013, 9:26 PM

We haven't changed the football culture enough to beat them so far.

Very, very frustrating!

Feb 11, 2013, 10:16 PM

The problem is we like basketball but we LOVE football. Until the fan base and administration decide that we will LOVE basketball, give it the resources it needs, give the right coaching staff the time it needs and decide we will NOT continue to accept failure, we will always stand in the shadows. Way back in 1939 we had the chance to say we LOVE basketball and we did not, opting not to play in the postseason in deference to football spring practice. In the 50s and 60s we waited way too long to upgrade facilities and coaches. In the 70s we got stung by a cohort of Mr. Coach K himself and took 10+ years to recover. All the while we just continue to take it as a fan base. Until we make it clear to all that it must change, it will not change. I think Brownell is a good coach and we should work on improving the practice facilities, get the students down on the floor and do whatever it takes to get the right players who can make a free throw at a critical time without their knees knocking so hard they can't shoot the ball. In 1990 after a loss to Southeast Missouri I put a sticky note on my office wall saying Clemson does NOT have a Division 1 basketball program. Little has changed in 20+ years. It will take a revolution for it to happen now.

Feb 12, 2013, 9:30 AM

Wow!! I hate to sat that I disagree about supporting this coach. He has not brought a system that will prove to be worthy of ACC play. He has three years of players that should have produced a 20 win season by now. Clemson let a 20 plus win NCAA appearance coach go by not supporting him but we decide to support a coach that does not have "IT" for the ACC. Take away the players that people say are not his and do even win 10 games under his watch. The answer is big NO.

Bad hire and time to move on in a new direction with a proven system to match. The Clemson fathful have not been behind the basketball program after no support for a winning team and 2010. Go figure!!!

In my lifetime I thought the culture was changing twice.

Feb 12, 2013, 9:45 AM

The first time Texas ended up with the best coach Clemson has had in my lifetime and the second time OP bolted for DePaul.

I like Brownell but so far I don't see any improvements in our culture and Saturday seemed to reinforce the feeling that the culture isn't changing. Great teams and great players hit their foul shots.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Heavyweight fights have their ring walks. CFB has Clemson's grandest entrance in sports."
Chris Fowler

I've see 4 opportunties to have changed the culture ...

Feb 13, 2013, 11:46 AM

#1 was when we let Press Maravich go to NC STate over a $2,000 raise ... #2 was when we paid the Skip Wise class to come to Clemson ... #3 was when we lost Rick Barnes to Texas ... and #4 was when we hire a minority coach in Oliver Purnell and he in turn hired some really good recruiters.

Most discussion always center around Barnes or Purnell, but the roots of our problem go back much further.

The signing class that gave us Skip Wise was our attempt to compete on the recruiting trail with the UNCs, Dukes of the world.

Unfortunately, the sad results of that initative do much more to underscore the basic problem with Clemson hoops than to provide a solution.

Without cheating, we will never in any of our lifetimes, be able to recruit competitively with the UNCs and the Dukes ... or even the NC States and the Marylands.

Clemson, as an institution does not have the tradition or even the desire to make basketball the sort of priority that would accomplish the radical change in culture that keeps being discussed every season.

In the past, we've bent the rules and paid the price ... we've hired hot new up-and-coming coaches, and they've left us for greener pastures, we've poured money into facilities in a luke-warm fashion in the forlorn hope that we can turn things around.

It hasn't happened and it isn't likely to happen because it's just too hard and the price is just too high ... and even if we put in the effort and pay the price, there is still no guarantee that Clemson basketball will prosper.

This is not to say that Clemson cannot compete in the ACC ... we have been competitive and we can continute to be competitive ... but competitive does not mean winning national titles. It probably doesn't even mean winning ACC titles.

What it means is having realistic expectations and recognizing that an occasional top-4 finish in the conference and trips to the NCAA every once in a while is pretty darn good for a school whose athletic department basically gave up on basketball in the late 1950s and settled on aspiring to be the best it could be in football instead.

I started watching Clemson hoops in 1957, when we had a really good coach named Press Maravich. No lesser voice than John Wooden has been quoted as saying that Press Maravich was one of the great basketball minds of his era .. and he was ours. But, for whatever reason Frank Howard would not pay the (minimal) price to keep him from leaving and going up to NC State as an assistant to Everett Case.

If we'd spent anywhere near the percentage of funds during the Press Maravich era to support Clemson basketball as we have spent recently, chances are really good that we'd be a national power today.

We didn't --- and today we are what we are because of it.

PS: Pete Maravich didn't have the grades to get into Clemson or NC State or any ACC school ... but, Clemson officials didn't know that when they let Press bolt for the NCSU job while Pete was still in 9th grade.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic