Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What is the problem on defense?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

What is the problem on defense?

Sep 18, 2012, 9:09 AM

I still can't put my finger on it exactly. Is it lack in size, speed, talent, experience, or just bad play against teams they know they should beat. Like most things, could be a combination of everything. It does seem to me however, that the overall speed of this years defense is lacking. The defensive line is getting decent penetration, but it seems like once we are there we just can't seal the deal. This is a problem that is very correctable and with time hopefully will improve. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

people have to do their job, and not worry about someone

Sep 18, 2012, 9:22 AM

else's...

for example... the DL, under BV, needs to keep the OL off the LBs. The secondary needs to let our LBs play, and not play with their eyes in the backfield.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

It varies by level.

Sep 18, 2012, 9:23 AM

The DL is just experience. They are tenacious and have heart but our DTs are young and still learning how to stay in their gap and not allow themselves to get moved out of position. Goodman is good at this but still not a good pass rusher and Crawford and Beasley are still learning.

LB is that they are going too fast. Anthony is still learning on the job and Willard is making plays but sometimes taking himself out of position. To put it simply they are reading and attacking so fast that they take themselves out of the play and an experienced RB can cut back and get yards. Last year they were frozen from thinking too much, this year they are attacking more but need to need to stay fundamentally sound.

DB is a lack of depth and talent imo. Brewer should be a CB not a safety. Hall is coming off of knee surgery and Meeks is inconsistent. The best of the bunch right now is Breeland but teams are picking more so on Brewer and Robinson. I think we need to put Blanks out there.

Our D will get better but with a lack of experience and a new system under a new DC it will take a year long process to really work the kinks out.

could not have said it better...

Sep 18, 2012, 9:27 AM

speed of our defense is not an issue. are we undersized??? maybe. compared to what we will see from FSU and the top 2 SEC teams...yes we are undersized. but with that said we have young guys playing that still need to grow into thier bodies. hopefully this is being addressed by S&C.

this is new scheme with young inexperienced players. it will take time to learn. defense is much harder to learn than offense. defense is more predicated on "read and react." these guys are having to break the old habits. still learning to trust thier reads. i would say by end of this season we will see a noticable difference in our defense.

I've noticed a lot of over-running by some of our players

Sep 18, 2012, 9:30 AM [ in reply to It varies by level. ]

seems like every time a pass is caught on the outside or a back gets out there, our defensive backs and linebackers can't quite get their feet set and end up playing catchup to the ball carrier. In years past, we may have had the speed to catch back up, but this year we just don't have it. I know everyone is in love with Anthony, but he can be one of the worst at this. IMO he has got to get better if the defense has any chance of improving. I know he is young, but that can't be an excuse anymore. He is the leader of the defense whether he likes it or not. I think he has the type of character and leadership to get it done. Wouldn't suprise me if the game this weekend "turns the light on".

Is the MLB really responsible for passes in the flats?

Sep 18, 2012, 9:37 AM

I'd have thought that would fall to the WILL or SAM in which case Willard or Christan should be making a play.

Assignments***

Sep 18, 2012, 9:25 AM

According to Venables,

Sep 18, 2012, 9:33 AM

it's two or three inches.

;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

He'll fix it this week.***

Sep 18, 2012, 9:36 AM

Re: What is the problem on defense?

Sep 18, 2012, 9:34 AM

I thought it was Steele

The scheme was Steele's fault. It was too complicated

Sep 18, 2012, 9:38 AM

now it really falls on the players to grow up fast and play well.

Re: The scheme was Steele's fault. It was too complicated

Sep 18, 2012, 9:50 AM

X brewer stated on an interview it was lack of players not studying film.....= Toast

And...

Sep 18, 2012, 10:28 AM

Did the reporter ask him was that his excuse too?

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic