Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Google play vs spotify
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 477

Google play vs spotify

Feb 21, 2019, 11:26 AM

so the werk people blocked spotify on the wifi network. Just tried google play music and it isn't blocked yet.

How it do?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You got youtube?

Feb 21, 2019, 11:28 AM

I like picking a good song and let the automix work from there

Same. I like seeing what rabbit hole it will take me down.***

Feb 21, 2019, 12:37 PM

Works great for stuff I bought. A bit annoying to upload

Feb 21, 2019, 11:29 AM

new stuff. Example I got a code for the new Tedeschi Trucks Band album. Got it all loaded on the laptop then had to jump through hoops to get it to Google Play.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I prefer it over spotify

Feb 21, 2019, 11:32 AM

disclaimers:
I've used Google Play music a lot longer, having uploaded all MY mp3's to it years ago. Have only subscribed for a year or 1.5...somthing like that (i'll check in a bit, not that it matters, but now I'm curious)...either way, I've got a history there, and being able to freely store your own collection is a YUGE plus, to me (though, it's pretty much inconsequential if that same library is now available to you with subscrip)

I HAVE a spotify subscription, thanks to my sidepiece (not really) and her 'family' subscription....but I really don't use it. The times I've tried, I've always just gone back to GPM, so I might not be giving it a fair shot

that said...

Feb 21, 2019, 11:38 AM

their recommendations (overall, AND especially for New Releases) used to be GREAT (better than great, actually, whatever that'd be).

Since Youtube Music was put out several months back, it's gotten bad. Supposably, YouTube Music is a bit devoid of features (why? no idea, you'd think google would just change a bit of the GPM code, or whatever nerds do), and Google wanted to maintain a feature balance between GPM and YTM....and rather than spiff up YTM, they pulled features from GPM....like simply browsing by genre.

it used to be great...NOW, that part sucks.

Drill down, do you use one of those Google Home things?

Feb 21, 2019, 11:39 AM [ in reply to I prefer it over spotify ]

We got one to go with out Spotify subscription. While I should be more concerned about it listening, I do enjoy being able to say "Hey Google, play so and so." It will always go to spotify over my google play stuff.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've got 7 (lol, but also really)

Feb 21, 2019, 11:40 AM

one's not even out of the box yet

so yeah, we use them

Can you make it pull from your library rather than Spotify?

Feb 21, 2019, 11:44 AM

I don't know that I'd ever really want or need to do this. I'd just like to be able. I also want at least one that is the quality of speaker that my soundbar is.

I believe so...

Feb 21, 2019, 11:49 AM

the speaker on the original Google Home is pretty good

Google Home Max is a lot better, from what I've heard, buuuuut $299 if you find it on very rare sale, $399 otherwise...yeaaah, no.

The speaker on the Google Home Mini is a solid meh/10

The Google Home Hub (Smart display) is somewhere between the mini and original Home...probably closer to the mini.

However, IF you have a Chromecast Audio (discontinued, but can still be found a small handful of places) or a sound bar that has Chromecast Audio built-in, you can 'assign' either of those as the default speaker for a google home device

Agree, the Mini is fine for the area I currently have it in.

Feb 21, 2019, 11:52 AM

Usually have it on when cooking and eating dinner.

It succcc

Feb 21, 2019, 12:00 PM

But I have a Chromecast Audio that is the Jam.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just use it for a smaller area and lower volume situations.***

Feb 21, 2019, 12:28 PM

LOL

Feb 21, 2019, 11:40 AM

I got NO idea WTPH y'all are talking about.

It is the preferred method of music delivery for the Greenr

Feb 21, 2019, 11:57 AM

family. Only because I had 90 days free and I uploaded alot of crap. Now I pay for that and it also comes with Youtube Red subscription. I think I pay $12 a month, but I listen to alot of music and so does Wife.

I've heard Spotify was better, but we were #ALLIN on Google Play so we never switched.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FYI, u prob know...but the uploaded crap is free and not

Feb 21, 2019, 11:58 AM

dependant on subscription....it won't go anywhere if you cancel

LOL

Feb 21, 2019, 11:58 AM

Thats a shame. Clearly music is the time waster in the office, not the interwebs as a whole.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

I've had both, Spotify interface much cleaner IMO

Feb 21, 2019, 1:07 PM

and is also better because of the curated lists like "Release Radar" and "Discover Weekly". I only did GPM because it was free for 3 months, then I immediately switched back to Spotify

GPM has curated lists

Feb 21, 2019, 1:20 PM

it's funny, I've got complete opposite opinion on interface, tho I've only used spotify (minimally) on phone/tablet. I mostly use GPM on computer @ work. Comparing those apples & oranges, I give the nod to GPM

Now, the GPM phone app is NOT car friendly. Haven't tried Spotify while driving

GPM has a desktop interface?

Feb 21, 2019, 3:09 PM

When I had it they used some horrible web-based one

oh, that's what I mean

Feb 21, 2019, 3:16 PM

it's hardly horrible....guess it's what you're used to - i've tried to use Spotify, but give up and go back to what I'm used to

Apparently I can drive GPM through the controls

Feb 21, 2019, 3:16 PM [ in reply to GPM has curated lists ]

on my steering wheel. It is bad clunky though.

Replies: 21
| visibility 477
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic