Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Two frightening Google things happened today while I was
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 308

Two frightening Google things happened today while I was

Jun 8, 2018, 10:07 AM

searching for a nice gif or vid response to a poast....

First thing....when did Google start indexing #### sites in their video search? Talk about a distraction. Wanted something PG-rated and all I see are #### sites.

Second, and this is even creepier. I have a home network drive that houses a couple of movies. Legit movies, not ####. Anyway, some of the movies are huge blockbusters, and some are smaller indie films. But on the Google image search, I'm finding gifs from movies I watched the day before on my home network server. Not online. Not on my PC. Not on my phone. On the Roku media player app, from a network drive in my house. So how does a obscure movie I watched offline on my network server last night on Roku end up being the second gif I see in the Google image search?

Either Western Digital sent out my viewing or Roku did. I have all the Roku privacy options I can change set to private. Same for WD.

I think I will try the Facebook trick and start talking about something and then start watching the Facebook ads to see if they're listening.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Two frightening Google things happened today while I was

Jun 8, 2018, 10:10 AM

Had the google thing happen to me a few ago, on the work computer. :(

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was searching for a response to your post actually

Jun 8, 2018, 10:14 AM

Wanted a girl wearing sunglasses in a car. Got a bunch of ####, and a gif from a very obscure movie I watched (offline?) last night.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll save you the trouble.

Jun 8, 2018, 10:10 AM

They are listening. I get ads almost immediately for things that were talked about and never searched for.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!

Back when my water line broke in my yard

Jun 8, 2018, 10:12 AM

I found it, got a shovel, and started digging. Maybe 15 minutes later (if that) I get an email from 811 reminding me to call before I dig. I'm like WHAT!!!

^^^This

Jun 8, 2018, 10:24 AM [ in reply to I'll save you the trouble. ]

They have def started listening to conversations and ad targeting to that bc I have had same thing happen lately. I’ll get ads for things I have never searched for or texted; only spoken with on the phone.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've gotten it from conversations

Jun 8, 2018, 10:25 AM

that I was having in person with my phone in my pocket.

GO TIGERS!!

Re: I've gotten it from conversations

Jun 8, 2018, 10:28 AM

That’s super sketchy

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So is my water line example. I did call my wife and tell

Jun 8, 2018, 10:37 AM

her to keep the kids at the inlaws house for a while because it would be a few hours before our water was back working, and I had to go to Lowe's. So they had to listen to the phone call, or at least my talking on the call.

To your first point, I fail to see how that's a bad thing.

Jun 8, 2018, 10:16 AM

To your second point, confirmation bias.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We just had a meeting this morning on how to incorporate

Jun 8, 2018, 10:16 AM

social listening technologies into our product offerings. You would be shocked at the extent of Big Brother tech that is available for use in smaller agencies, not just your Googles and Facebooks. Heck, Clemson has what looks like a NASA control room just for that purpose. We're looking to schedule a tour of that facility in the next few months. It's unreal how granular you drill down to electronically 'snoop' on what's being said online.

https://www.clemson.edu/cbshs/departments/communication/centers/smlc.html

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very last sentence.

Jun 8, 2018, 10:20 AM

They are examining the words people use to describe college sports, patterns and conversations about different sports, and why differences exist in conversations around women and men's college sports.

This is the kind of stuff you get when you let stupid people

Jun 8, 2018, 10:28 AM

think they're intelligent.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Age old adage. It takes knowledge and wisdom

Jun 8, 2018, 10:57 AM

Pretty obvious which of the two are missing at most colleges.

There's a reason you have to be 35 years old to be President. That rule was set when the average life expectancy was 35 years old fwiw.

was your phone in the room while watching the movies?

Jun 8, 2018, 10:25 AM

if so.....

https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/wjbzzy/your-phone-is-listening-and-its-not-paranoia

Yeah, but if listening, they had to then take the audio

Jun 8, 2018, 10:33 AM

and match it to the movie. Odds are Roku or Western Digital sent the data with the file name. Western Digital network drive is MyCloud. I have it "supposedly" disconnected from the internet. Twonky is the media server used on the WD MyCloud drive. Could be them. Then you have the Roku app (Media Player) that plays the video. So there's three potential snoops, plus maybe my phone, which includes dozens of apps that can listen. How this got too Google is beyond me.

I might try disabling the microphone access for Facebook in Android. Facebook doesn't need it anyway except to pry.

I have like maybe 3 apps that I would actually enable the microphone with.

we all worried about Big Brother watching our every movement

Jun 8, 2018, 10:48 AM

a couple decades ago, wondering how to protect ourselves from total exposure.

It turns out we've invited him into our homes with open arms and are totally addicted to him.

It will be our downfall

Jun 8, 2018, 11:00 AM

Now the russians have effed with my router. WtheF?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 308
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic