Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Coots have shot themselves in the foot joining the SEC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

Coots have shot themselves in the foot joining the SEC

Jan 9, 2014, 6:34 PM

Programs that were once down like UT and UF will be back up on the rise. It will be an uphill battle for you to even SNIFF the playoffs lol...sucks to suck

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Shot themselves in the foot...or in the arm?***

Jan 9, 2014, 6:51 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Shot themselves in the foot...or in the arm?***

Jan 9, 2014, 7:18 PM

Yup!

Re: Well he was trying to shoot a gnat off his shoulder.***

Jan 9, 2014, 7:43 PM

He was a real shot in the arm

Jan 9, 2014, 9:45 PM

Th the game coot program!

Re: Coots have shot themselves in the foot joining the SEC

Jan 9, 2014, 7:32 PM

Not sure the fact that its tough to win our conference means we suck. You are correct, though, that its a tough hill to climb. Pretty happy with SEC affiliation. Has definitely strengthened us on the whole.

While your team may not suck, his point is very valid about

Jan 9, 2014, 7:34 PM

y'all having a hard time to get into the playoff system.

Re: While your team may not suck, his point is very valid about

Jan 9, 2014, 7:51 PM

I agreed with him. UF will be back. I am not sure UT will ever be the old UT but they will get better. They really have no instate talent base and they can't pull players out of SC, NC, and other states like they once did. They are recruiting very well this year but if Butch doesnt win big quickly that will fall off. You have to win big to recruit out of state like they need to. UGA will always be about what they are. Tough all the time and very good sometimes. With the money we are throwing at facilities and the money I think we will spend to replace spurrier there is no reason we can't stay competitive. UF is the program with the most built in advantages but who knows when they will show it. We can definitely still compete in our division. Do I think we make the playoff next year? No. However, with a few breaks and the fact that SEC teams get a benefit of the doubt from voters the playoff isnt something I see as being unattainable over the next few years. Will be tough but possible.

The voters and polls have nothing to do with the playoffs.

Jan 10, 2014, 4:17 AM

Your SOS will get better and better as UT and UF regain their old status but your win/loss record will suffer proportionally.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The voters and polls have nothing to do with the playoffs.

Jan 10, 2014, 12:07 PM

I should have said that more clearly. I was referring to the fact that the voters give SEC teams the benefit of the doubt and meaning to imply that it was likely to still be the case with the selection committee.

Jan 10, 2014, 12:15 PM

I think you are confusing the SEC with Bama. Auburn didn't jump OSU when they beat Bama. Yes the SEC gets bias in the preseason polls but they don't usually jump teams just because they are in the SEC. Also I think that benefit of the doubt took a big hit this season.

null

Jan 10, 2014, 6:34 PM

I still think a 1 loss SEC team will get the nod over a 1 loss team from another conference. I would agree that the margin of that benefit of doubt will shrink some next year. If the SEC gets a team or two in and wins it will go back up. Other conferences will have that opportunity also. Say any conference got two in and they both made title game. That conference will be the shining star going into the next year. I think the playoffs are going to give us a better picture of confetence strength than the bowl system has and all the big conferences have a chance to shine. Especially if they ever go to 8 teams.

for the gamecocks all conferences have been tough

Jan 10, 2014, 5:20 AM [ in reply to Re: Coots have shot themselves in the foot joining the SEC ]

100 plus years of losing

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

differen thread

Jan 9, 2014, 7:35 PM

Same bs. Being in the SEC outweighs being in the ACC for sure, no matter the lack of championships. Money is better, competition is stronger, exposure is night and day better than the ACC. We keep hearing abouy UT and UF coming bavk but what makes you think we will dtop? For a team who preaches tradition, you would understand that once you reach new heights, the goal is to stay at that level. USC is no longer th doormat of the conference. Sorry!

If you don't like what you read on a Clemson message board

Jan 9, 2014, 7:39 PM

feel free to leave.

As for your tradition argument, if you understood tradition, which you have none of, then when UT and UF do indeed come back you would obviously drop off if we are going by "tradition."

Of course when you reach new heights the goal is to stay there. However, that is a "goal," and you don't always reach a goal. You don't usually get to the top of a mountain and build a house there.

Tradition isn't created in 5 years

Jan 9, 2014, 10:06 PM [ in reply to differen thread ]

This run you are on is an aberration. Enjoy it.

You can't sustain 11 wins a year or the streak over us. Because it has happened three times in a row or five times in a row doesn't make it the new normal. If that were the case, you would never have beaten us again after our run in the 30s, and we would have won 10 games a year forever after our 4 year run from 1987-1990.

Streaks, by definition, end. Otherwise they would not be called streaks.

Gamecocks don't count the first century though.

Jan 10, 2014, 1:21 PM

nmr

I get what you're saying but....

Jan 9, 2014, 10:15 PM [ in reply to differen thread ]

You can't assume that your recent success now means that you're a perennial powerhouse. In fact, the teams referenced (UF and Tenn) were once the perennial powers of the East. It can happen to any team and not just in your division or conference. There's no doubt that you guys are at the pinnacle of your program's existence and despite my burning hatred for all things #### it does make the rivalry more interesting. Just don't assume that it'll last forever. Same goes for Clemson.

I've got a great idea for scar

Jan 9, 2014, 7:35 PM

If your name is Kenny and you play football then you must attend mandatory gun safety classes. Just one idea....

Re: I've got a great idea for scar

Jan 9, 2014, 7:53 PM

Truth is no team in the SE that is not in the SEC would turn that invite down. There is more money there, and more SOS most years, but the most important thing is that it is a 100% FB conference and any school that favors FB over all other sports would want to play in that atmosphere. I for one still hope Clemson one day finds it's way to the SEC, it belongs there culturally and FB wise. Clemson would be an amazing addition to the SEC, it is more SEC already than many current SEC schools. Clemson will get an invite one day, maybe soon. It belongs in the SEC.

Classy Post

Jan 9, 2014, 10:11 PM [ in reply to I've got a great idea for scar ]

Very cla55y

Oh please...

Jan 9, 2014, 10:29 PM

One minute on FGF and you'll come out of there so classy you'll wanna rob a liquor store...

Didn't one of your former RB's nearly kill himself?

Jan 9, 2014, 11:00 PM [ in reply to I've got a great idea for scar ]

Not sure I'd make a bunch of gunshot-related jokes. Neither is a funny story.

he didn't lie about it though...And we all know Kenny didn't

Jan 10, 2014, 2:31 AM

try and commit suicide by shooting himself in the arm...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You do realize that in the best year ever

Jan 9, 2014, 7:58 PM

The coots still finished 4 spots outside of the playoffs. Don't let the silly postseason reshuffle confuse you into a belief that you belong there. The SEC east hasn't won the SECCG since Tebow so good luck with that. The SEC will never send more than two teams to the playoffs. Got to finish better than 4th in your conference to accomplish that.

Re: Coots have shot themselves in the foot joining the SEC

Jan 9, 2014, 9:42 PM

Ranked #4 in the Nation. Best finish in history of the program after floundering for years as an independent. We are happy to be in the SEC. The money is good too.

If that is shooting ourselves in the foot. Give me the gun so I can shoot the other foot.

I keep hearing this about money...

Jan 9, 2014, 10:01 PM

Texas has the most, the real USC pretty loaded as well...and where exactly are those programs? Are they perennial powers? Money =/= success...those are always weak arguments...

Of course no program is going to win every year

Jan 9, 2014, 10:12 PM

but both of those programs have won national championships in the last 10 years and will win another one in the next 20 most likely.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

hope you're not trying to compare Scar to Texas and SoCal

Jan 9, 2014, 10:24 PM

that would be funny

Re: Let's swap with Kentucky

Jan 9, 2014, 10:24 PM [ in reply to Of course no program is going to win every year ]

They are good in Basketball

Starts and stops with the HC

Jan 9, 2014, 10:22 PM

We have ours for the next 30 what about the coots.

Re: Starts and stops with the HC

Jan 9, 2014, 10:58 PM

35-0 streak against Clemson? Sound fun.

At least we get to beat Clemson***

Jan 9, 2014, 10:56 PM

If something happens to our schedule that we have to play

Jan 9, 2014, 11:13 PM

yall at the beginning of the season and say we lose to you, make it to the play offs, then win a NC....I'll take that ANY DAY.

So dream on...the conference that you inbreeds praise its toughness will be the sole reason you never make it. Your coach will leave soon and you seem to think you'll just nab another top notch one lol. What will you sell this new coach about your program? You beat your instate rival? Lol. Good luck with that.

Re: If something happens to our schedule that we have to play

Jan 10, 2014, 12:11 AM

Dream and scheme.....High Five!

Yeah find me the coach that will want to play

Jan 9, 2014, 11:23 PM

UT UF UGA Missouri and Clemson every year plus two from the actually good side of the conference. Oh and live up to the expectations that SOS left behind all while having to recruit from South Carolina. If one of the greatest CFB coaches of all time has proven nothing can be accomplished in many years at SCAR why would anyone else?

You know good and well they'll hire Saban...

Jan 10, 2014, 4:20 AM

when he get too old to do anything but golf.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever

Jan 10, 2014, 6:15 AM

These threads about Carolina sucking in football are really stupid. They have beat Clemson by double digits 5 years in a row.

Apparently you didn't read the entirety of the thread...

Jan 10, 2014, 1:15 PM

You only took the opportunity to say you beat us five times in a row...pat yourself on the back.

spooky

Jan 10, 2014, 6:58 AM

How someone haunts their rivals site. Not a ghosts chance in hell I would do something pathetic like that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

It's the best thing that ever happened to them outside of ..

Jan 10, 2014, 2:36 PM

Spurrier being unemployed when they needed a coach. We're in the ACC and now many championships have we won since SC has been in the SEC? What are our chances next year (very slim), and even when we do it's not as big as SEC would be especially if we lose to SC the same year we win the ACC (oops that happened last time).

You're obviously a coot...stop with the 'we' crap

Jan 10, 2014, 2:51 PM

You're post history looks even worse than the most pessimistic Clemson fan. Go back to FGF...you fool no one.

Re: You're obviously a coot...stop with the 'we' crap

Jan 10, 2014, 4:00 PM

I'm a 55 year old "grown man" and have been a Clemson fan for 55 years. The CRAP that needs to stop is Clemson fans who think the better football team is decided in a debate. There's nothing pessimistic about admitting that the team that has owned us for 5 years is better right now. I am embarrassed for the whole lot of you and it is y'all that are acting like coots.

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic