Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What defensive scheme was used last year against Tua?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1,548

What defensive scheme was used last year against Tua?

Jan 16, 2020, 2:33 PM

Was it the same 7-1-3? I know we had the power rangers, but not having them surely wouldn't cause us to shrink our DL and LB presence THIS year on the field no? Seems like not having them would make us rely on our LB's MORE not less.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Last year we could get consistent pressure w/ our front 4...

Jan 16, 2020, 2:37 PM

due to the lack of talent and/or experience and/or production on the Dline compared to last year BV had to get creative to get pressure.

don't strain yourself...

Jan 16, 2020, 2:38 PM

he'll ask this same question in about 4 more different ways today

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Last year we could get consistent pressure w/ our front 4...

Jan 16, 2020, 2:38 PM [ in reply to Last year we could get consistent pressure w/ our front 4... ]

So we couldn't get pressure with 4, so we drop to 3 on DL and 1 on LB to get MORE pressure?

Re: Last year we could get consistent pressure w/ our front 4...

Jan 16, 2020, 2:40 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

yes and strategically blitzed to try and confuse JB.....

Jan 16, 2020, 2:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Last year we could get consistent pressure w/ our front 4... ]

considering the mismatches that BV had to deal with w/ LSU having essentially 5 WRs every play I think he did a good job.

Our offense was the bigger problem.

Re: yes and strategically blitzed to try and confuse JB.....

Jan 16, 2020, 2:54 PM

So let me get this straight. Our defense was WORE SLAP OUT because Trevor couldn't hit a wide open man, and Chad Smith couldn't provide any relief to our men on the field???

anybody on the board know if Chad Smith is from Hartwell?***

Jan 16, 2020, 3:06 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2020, 3:11 PM [ in reply to Re: yes and strategically blitzed to try and confuse JB..... ]

Jan 16, 2020, 7:03 PM [ in reply to yes and strategically blitzed to try and confuse JB..... ]

If you give up 600 yards on defense - that is a problem.

The offense had some real problems but they were not the only ones.

You are trying to make a stupid comparison

Jan 16, 2020, 2:39 PM

Alabama last year and LSU this year were completely different offenses and styles of attack as well as our defense had different strengths.

Please cease and desist!

It’s really not that hard

Jan 16, 2020, 7:10 PM

1. Last year we got a ton of pressure with 4 DL
2. This year DL was not a strength, so we switched to a 3-4 base. This doesn’t mean only 3 rush the QB - it means the 4th rusher is variable and disguised as to who is covering and who is blitzing, as well as a faster (relative to DL) player. Additionally, Simmons could serve as blitzer/LB/DB and seamlessly change roles each play.
3. Specifically for LSU, other teams had SOME success playing a ton of DBs in coverage with a relatively lighter pass rush, so we did this as well. Less risky as LSU not heavily reliant on run game, so run stoppers not needed per se, or less valuable relative to pass coverage against Burrow. Problem was, they were too talented, got open, Burrow dropped dimes and they scored six touchdowns.

Re: It’s really not that hard

Jan 16, 2020, 7:20 PM

This is the most logical explanation I've heard regarding our defensive scheme. I still have concerns why Chad Smith wasn't brought in especially after Skalski went out and our entire defense was gassed. Also, there's still the ETN problem on the offensive side that really didn't make sense.

Chad didn’t play bc the base scheme played only

Jan 16, 2020, 7:57 PM

One Lb, who was Skalski. When he was ejected, Venables was put in bc he is technically Skalskis backup at that particular LB position. One could argue chad smith may have contributed once Skalski left, but Venables stuck to his scheme and filled next man up at that position

Replies: 13
| visibility 1,548
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic