Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It's really neat to post to other Tiger Fans & feel that you
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 3,148

It's really neat to post to other Tiger Fans & feel that you

Jul 12, 2012, 3:38 PM

are my brothers in Orange..and even though we disagree at times we have many of the same feelings for this little ex-military and A & M College called CLEMSON..that's located near the Blue Ridge Mountains..surrounded now by Lake Hartwell..that truly loves its football and other sports.

What a blessing it was for Thomas Green Clemson to be a part of the John C. Calhoun estate through his wife and have the vision of a new place of education for the average Joe..and thanks too for "Pitchfork" Ben Tillman to break the tie in the S. C. Legislation by voting for our being a college when the Coots were against it in the late 1890's..and for Dean Sykes to get John Heisman to come up from Auburn in 1900 to show us how to play football..and win big-time..creating a reputation of hard-nosed & winning football teams that had unusual spirit..hence the Tiger..and "Hold That Tiger"..and bold colors..all from our sister school Auburn..another fine institution who loves its football.

Wish more of our fine recruits, students & fans really knew where we came from history wise..and why we so love our football & Dear Ole Clemson College..but they seem to "feel" it from each generation of Tiger's that went before them..and so we are One..and a force that many schools envy and/or admire.

For this, and the internet via TigerNet...I salute all you brothers & sisters of the Orange...that being CLEMSON NATION..a wonderful fraternity of diverse people from all over the World who love this beautiful little spot in upper South Carolina called CLEMSON.

And, always remember to be a true sport and pull for Clemson in a way that doesn't put down another's school..for they love their place too and it's not right or just for us to belittle them and their special place in the sun. We are better than that...for we are CLEMSON!

Thank you for your posts..many being so unique & informative..not to say crazy or mean-spirited against our foes..all which make me come back to TigerNet to see what you think & feel about football or other sports..mainly concerning CLEMSON.

Cheers, and Go TiGERs! Sincerely, "Lightbulb" Bill (Class of '63 if I'd graduated; 1966 in that I did, finally due to being married!).

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LIGHT IT UP BILL !! You tell 'em.

Jul 12, 2012, 3:46 PM

I got there for the '65 Rat Season.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hey "Clover65" then you remember the ratting & military past

Jul 12, 2012, 4:00 PM

Great times, in a way, and something the younguns wouldn't believe. Go TiGERs!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hey "Clover65" then you remember the ratting & military past

Jul 13, 2012, 12:02 PM

And you must have been one of the upperclassmen who tortured us at meal time by making us yell "The class of '69 is different" amongst all the Clemson football cheers. Thanks a lot Bill.

good post lightbulbbill®

Jul 12, 2012, 3:46 PM

I got my degree under a similar circumstance...Funny thing is at least I still have my degree.......

:)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

Know what you mean "CUTigerDave"..kept diploma after divorce

Jul 12, 2012, 4:07 PM

Go TiGERs!

You knocked her up?***

Jul 12, 2012, 5:40 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I meant GO TIGERS!!!***

Jul 12, 2012, 5:41 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TU***

Jul 12, 2012, 6:05 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Awwwww Bill...

Jul 12, 2012, 6:35 PM

I love it when you wax sentimental. I wasn't there for the Rat era, but I still can't sing the Alma Mater without choking back a tear. Do I qualify?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re: Nicely put, sounded a lot like a Bud Light Real

Jul 12, 2012, 6:46 PM

American Heros commercial. Not to take away from the excellent post, I could hear it in the background as I read it!
http://budlight.whipnet.com/

Message was edited by: melamb13®

Here's to a chilled Bud Light Real "melamb 13" & cheers! **

Jul 12, 2012, 7:02 PM

Go TiGERs!

Re: Here's to a chilled Bud Light Real "melamb 13" & cheers! **

Jul 12, 2012, 7:23 PM

Bottoms up! And CHEERS!

Lightbulb Bill, you are one of the best tigers on TNET...

Jul 12, 2012, 7:04 PM

..always upbeat and with good things to say.....

Thx "gleaner63" for nice & appreciated compliment. Ditto! **

Jul 14, 2012, 12:09 PM

Go TiGERs!

Re: It's really neat to post to other Tiger Fans & feel that you

Jul 12, 2012, 7:05 PM

"Lightbulb" Bill, enjoyed your post. I graduated Class of '63. Now I look back fondly on my days in the "rat" system. Family dining with all it's razing from the upper classmen. Getting rid of the rat hat after the carolina game. Going to the "Bumming Line" to thumb a ride home to Aiken. Oh, great memories. I could go on forever.

Yep "tigersam59"...watching food go as you sang, hitching a

Jul 12, 2012, 8:58 PM

ride home out in front of the Administration Offices (use to be library), and wearing that little beanie rat cap til the Coot game was special. Thanks for the memories.

Go TiGERs!

And thanks that Clemson University is now the exact opposite

Jul 12, 2012, 7:09 PM

of Ben Tillman. Unlike the white supremacist and jim crow loving Ben Tillman, Clemson has a diverse student body and diversity on it's athletic teams. Also, we won our first and only National title in Football with a Black quarterback.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: And thanks that Clemson University is now the exact opposite

Jul 13, 2012, 5:26 PM

How would you define a diverse student body?

Clemson is 83% non-hispanic white. Not much room for any other groups. Next largest group is non-hispanic black @ 7%.

It is what it is.

Jul 12, 2012, 9:43 PM

great post!graduated in '68,so i remember all of the great things that everyone has mentioned.still have my rat hat.would like to mention dan's,bolton's,and lester's.also,does anyone else remember the calhoun hotel in anderson?some of my favorite memories reside there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Yep "Hoosicktiger"...Dan's & Rat Cap were unique to us boys

Jul 12, 2012, 10:58 PM

Go TiGERs!

Jul 12, 2012, 10:42 PM

As a fellow member of the class of 66 I salute you!

To "Footballmanager", thank you Sir and to our class of '66.

Jul 12, 2012, 10:55 PM

Go TiGERs!

Jul 12, 2012, 11:33 PM [ in reply to Re: It's really neat to post to other Tiger Fans & feel that you ]

The '66 class was interesting as the school transitioned from A&M to College to University, but I suppose the biggest news to those there at the time was the construction of the girls dorms..... :) I still have my rat cap somewhere around here. I still think Shindler and Stritzinger were some of the toughest math professors there ever were and Knox Landers was a pretty neat guy for a chemistry prof.

Even though I've been called a coot more times than I can count for having somewhat different values than many of today's fans on this board - some of whom probably never set foot in a Clemson classroom - I do enjoy reading the board..... but I do wish there was a little less blind cheerleading and a bit more time spent in rational thought. After all, developing the ability to consider more than a single view (remember mechanical drafting?), learning to challenge convention in a constructive manner and to accept challenges that allowed us to think rationally is a lot of why we spent time there, isn't it? I know it was for me.

Cheers!

EE
Army ROTC
Pershing Rifles
Track & Field
Caravelles

Dang "ColaTiger66"...why is your rating so low since U R so

Jul 13, 2012, 12:00 PM

articulate, have EE training & other fine accomplishments such as being in the fantastic Perishing Rifles?!

You were right in that you have had to defend your being a Clemson Man...and the low % figure shows it. Shameful.

Nice post, and thanks.

Go TiGERs!

Re: Dang "ColaTiger66"...why is your rating so low since U R so

Jul 13, 2012, 4:53 PM

Thanks - the answer is as I said. If you don't cheer everything Orange and are critical of others doing so - even when they want to sugar-coat things that need to be corrected (like Nkemdiche's eventual statement did) - you're a coot and get a bunch of TDs. If you get enough TDs, your posting is then erased from the board. I find that a bit amusing, given the way we criticize the coots for similar behavior.

It is sort of sad, but it's what the world has become, n'est pas?

We were, can and should be better than that.

Cheers!

Jul 14, 2012, 10:09 AM

Great post. I got to Clemson in the fall of 1957 from Greenville. I believe it was either the 1st or 2nd year post military. There were only a handful of women enrolled, living in professor's homes (no women's dorm). Four were real lookers recruited as majorettes for the band. The rest were not so attractive engineering types. Great food in the family-style dining room. Shaved heads, rat caps, keep wearing them until Christmas break if we lost to the coots on Big Thursday .. we almost never did. Dan's and the Esso Club. Living in the old dorm (no longer there) accross from the laundry that looked directly down into Death Valley. That machine the laundry had that automatically ripped the buttons of your shirts and shot them thru your pants.

Great memories like those really give you that special feeling about your school that many do not have.

GO TIGERS!!!

Replies: 26
| visibility 3,148
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic