Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It's really a shame that Stoudt,
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

It's really a shame that Stoudt,

Sep 7, 2014, 1:01 PM

who has done nothing but been the model of patience and consistency in his time at Clemson, and with great numbers to show for it, now has to try to win over some of you fans who are way too impatient and are seemingly always ready to jump to the "next big thing" without even realizing how good Stoudt has been. He shouldn't have to prove anything more than he already has. Yes, I'm excited to one day see Watson lead the team too, but he's not there yet. Some of you can't even enjoy a 73-7 win without finding something to complain about and it seems to have taken the form of an overly-impatient, overzealous small group of fans creating a QB controversy. I would go so far as to say that I bet more than a few of you are probably quietly hoping that Stoudt struggles against FSU,(a team that most every QB they face is going to have a tough time with) just to give you more ammunition for your bellyaching.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Thank you...TU

Sep 7, 2014, 1:08 PM

Now on to let the Falcons break my heart one more time.

Not this time Too

Sep 8, 2014, 12:18 PM

Awesome win yesterday!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re: It's really a shame that Stoudt,

Sep 7, 2014, 1:11 PM

Great numbers? Against who?

Your name, "ImissCJ" speaks volumes

Sep 8, 2014, 8:10 AM

to your pessimism

Agree. Watson's day will come and we should all just..

Sep 7, 2014, 1:16 PM

trust the coaches who see these guys everyday. watson is impressive for a freshman, but he will struggle at some point when he is #1. Count on it. The position will be his when the time is right and that isn't quite here yet. We have other positions where early freshmen development is more important...RB. Choice is coming.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it's a shame that people think Stoudt's patience should count for something

Sep 7, 2014, 1:44 PM

If Watson is better, he should play. If Dabo pulls a another Kyle Parker again this season it will be a real shame.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: it's a shame that people think Stoudt's patience should

Sep 7, 2014, 1:52 PM

I just don't see Dabo throwing his hands in the air and saying" Okay Tnetters you were right! So, Cole just go sit down on the bench until Watson falters, then those football gurus will be chanting your name." Yeah, that's really going to happen.

Are you an idiot? You sound like an idiot. If you think

Sep 7, 2014, 2:47 PM

only those on TigerNet think Watson is better than Stoudt then you are an idiot. It got to the point with the media that Dabo had to make the point that Cole is going to be the starter no matter how good Watson does. It's not that if Cole doesn't get the job done, then Watson will play. We saw way too many 3 and outs at UGA and Cole stayed in until the game was out of hand. If that's not Kyle Parkering this team again, it's pretty darn close.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Sep 7, 2014, 1:54 PM

So you're saying we would have to be losing to UNC before you would call for a change.

I'm saying exactly what I said.

Sep 7, 2014, 2:05 PM

You're welcome to read it again. If you need further thoughts on the matter I would suggest contacting Chad Morris or Dabo Swinney in the Clemson Ath. Dept and see what they think.

null

Stoudt doesn't have to "win over" any fans. Just play.***

Sep 7, 2014, 2:02 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 7, 2014, 2:28 PM

VS UGA
-------------C/ATT-----YDS-AVG-TD-INT-QBR
Cole Stoudt 16/29-----144--5.0----0----1---22.5

Unfortunately, Cole's "great numbers" have been against lesser opponents. Yes, I'm aware of his few snaps vs. GT and Wake or BC or whoever it was. But he also threw two or three balls into the hands of SCST defenders, who just happened to drop them yesterday.

He is not very mobile, in fact he looks like a statue at times. He doesn't have great arm strength, and shows inconsistency with the medium range and deep balls.

Stoudt is a good QB, but not for this system. He is a square peg in a round hole. At some point, you have to put the best players on the field. The offense looks better and smoother with Watson out there.

Sep 7, 2014, 2:48 PM

I have no problem with the excitement for Watson. .....The booing of Cole is inexcusable

I don't think I've ever had as much...

Sep 7, 2014, 3:09 PM

respect for you as I have now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's not hard to move the needle off of "NONE" . . .

Sep 8, 2014, 8:57 AM

And I agree with you and the coot.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

While I agree it is a shame....

Sep 7, 2014, 2:53 PM

Dabo created this situation. Don't get me wrong, I am a HUGE Dabo fan and supporter, have been since Day 1. But when you play two quarterbacks, and the "backup" plays at least as good as the "starter", you are going to have this "controversy". Especially when the backup has more years to offer than the starter. This is true at every school. One of my close friends is a TOSU fan and he wanted Kenny G playing against us in the OB rather than Braxton. Even at CU, how many people were calling for Willie Simmons to replace Woody Dantzler, for Will Proctor and Willy Korn to play as backups, and yes even Stoudt last year as Tajh's backup.

Dabo had to know this was coming when he said going into the year he was going to play 2 quarterbacks. If Watson played well, he was going to overshadow any accomplishments from Cole. As I said earlier, huge Dabo supporter, but in this case he created this situation.

It's a shame our coach isn't allowed to play a back-up

Sep 8, 2014, 8:14 AM

to get experience without "creating" controversy. The vocal minority of never-satisfied fans are creating the controversy by opening their mouths while not appreciating the fact that we have 2 very good QB's on our team.

He can, its just a matter of when you play the backup

Sep 8, 2014, 1:42 PM

you play the backup in blowouts. The starter has earned the right to play all the meaningful snaps. Dabo did it with Kyle Parker when tajh was teh crowd favorite. He did it with Tajh when the fickle crowds wanted Cole. Now, he's not doing it for Cole. Dabo has brought on this QB controversy himself.

He should either state Cole is #1 and treat him as #1, or openly state there is a QB competition and let them earn it.

Re: It's a shame our coach isn't allowed to play a back-up

Sep 8, 2014, 1:52 PM [ in reply to It's a shame our coach isn't allowed to play a back-up ]

Usually a QB is played to get experience during garbage time. When the "backup" comes in against the same defense as the starter, but looks much better, it's difficult to ask people to not wonder why the better player isn't getting more time.

If Watson came in and looked out of his element, then you wouldn't hear anything. The problem is he has come in and looked stellar. The whole offense looks better with him on the field.

He hasn't "proved" anything.......

Sep 7, 2014, 2:54 PM

The "numbers" that he's "racked up" has been in garbage time after we r up 17+ and the game is over.

I also haven't seen anything "special" this year from him. Even sc state shoulda picked him off twice.

If there's no qb controversy then the coaches should treat is as such. Pick a QB and give him starter time then when the game is in hand put in the backup. If stoudt gives us the best chance to win then don't take him out down by seven in Athens.

disagree with that way of getting a back-up qb time, always

Sep 8, 2014, 8:15 AM

have. when a team is starting a sr. qb, and the "future" starter is already on campus, the 2nd string guy needs to get VALUABLE reps, with the game still on the line. this has been an opinion of mine for a long time, but our coaches have been pretty consistent through the yrs.(even before our current staff) of waiting until the game was decided, one way or the other, to get the back-ups any reps, and we end up starting the next yr. with an "inexperienced" qb.

Please stop making this about crapping on Stoudt.

Sep 7, 2014, 2:59 PM

It has absolutely nothing to do with that. The simple fact is that there is a better player at the QB position and that player should play no matter how much time/energy/tears were spent by the other player to get there.

This is college football, not rec league. The only thing Stoudt has on Watson is time in the system, and even then Watson is STILL the better looking player on the field.

Also, honest question, do you think we are winning any championships with stoudt this year? Probably not. So if that's the case, what is the point of keeping the best QB on our roster, and oh by the way, the starter next year from getting the most reps?

It just doesn't make sense. Play the better player and play him now. I like cole and support him just like every other tiger but he is absolutely getting an unfair leg up on a better play and it seems like his dad is a little too involved if you ask me.

/endrant

Sep 7, 2014, 2:59 PM

the LAST THING we need is a Q/B contriversity(sp?)!! that can tear a team apart fast.. IMHO the fans are driving this and however it turns out this will HARM OUR TEAM!!just shut-up and let the coaches handle things

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Contriversity"

Sep 7, 2014, 3:23 PM

noun

a virtual educational institution designed for examination Clemson's football team, both quarterbacks for students of the game of football, awarding points in lieu of steak knives

Making fun of us all brother, not just you. K?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes cole has been good & good #s,Watson has been better

Sep 7, 2014, 3:29 PM

with better #s,it will be hard to beat Fla. St. without the best players on the field.Fla. St. had the same situation last Yr. Their coaching staff was not afraid to play Fr. Winston & look how that turned out.Ga. was afraid last week either.

Sorry but the best players should play, best not being most

Sep 7, 2014, 4:14 PM

most talented but best being best chance to win games which is a combination of talent, experience, head, all sorts of things.

I will trust that the coaches know Stoudt is still ahead in total and THAT is why he is starting, not because of a feel good story or "time put in", those are the wrong reasons to start.

we wanted stoudt to play last year***

Sep 7, 2014, 4:34 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Stoudt was not given a chance last year when Boyd struggled.***

Sep 7, 2014, 5:13 PM

Sep 8, 2014, 8:04 AM

Good point!

Please explain what you've seen that makes you think

Sep 8, 2014, 8:13 AM

Watson isn't ready. I'll hangup and listen.

Re: Please explain what you've seen that makes you think

Sep 8, 2014, 1:53 PM

What makes you think that playing Watson and risking injury to our future is the best for Clemson. We have a pretty good senior QB in Cole that will only get better everyday. That's like throwing away the Rib Eye :( that was just grilled, b/c you have a Filet in the fridge. If we can win with Cole, play him and save Watson for our future. Is risking injury to our future worth 1, 2, or even 3 more TDs over the score we would have won with. Now I will hang up and listen.

Re: Do you send those Ribeyes in dry ice?

Sep 8, 2014, 2:54 PM

Do you send those Ribeyes in dry ice?
GO TIGERS!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 8, 2014, 8:52 AM

All he has done is be a back up, who cares about all that other stuff. It's football, put the best player on the field

Sep 8, 2014, 1:21 PM

You are so right about other QBs and teams struggling against FSU. Fact is, FSU has won 18 consecutive games. I do hope that there isn't any of our own hoping that Cole will struggle against FSU. Our D is playing good, and if Cole and our offense plays good, we win the game. So hoping that Cole will struggle, is just like hoping we lose, b/c if he struggles we will lose. This game could be decided by one TD or less, lets hope that one FG/TD isn't from a struggling Cole. If it is, the ones hoping he will struggle will get what they have wished for. I do believe that if Cole plays his best game so far on the 20th, FSU won't get their 19th straight win off of us. If Cole can get us through this season, it lessons the risk of Watson being injured. It gives Watson more time to get bigger and stronger that will lesson his risk of season or career ending injury. Where would we be without Watson next year, who would start for us. Hopefully Cole plays well every game, so we can save Watson for next season when he is bigger and stronger for taking nasty hits. Wishing Cole the very best only protects our future. And Cole will have a better chance with the fan base cheering for his success. Gooooo Cole, Gooooo Tigersssss!!!

I like Stoudt, but the QB that gives us the best chance to

Sep 8, 2014, 1:52 PM

win should be playing. If Dabo thinks it's Stoudt, so be it. But playing some b/c they showed patience and consistency during his time at Clemson isn't a reason to be a starter.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers!!!!!!!

Sep 8, 2014, 2:07 PM

Beat FSU!!!!!!

memo to Jameis:

Publicks is having a BOGO on crablegs September 20th from 7-11pm at all Tallahassee locations.

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic