Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Clemson LB out with a knee injury
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 54
| visibility 1

FB Update: Clemson LB out with a knee injury

Aug 18, 2015, 4:59 PM

Clemson LB out with a knee injury

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: Clemson LB out with a knee injury

Aug 18, 2015, 5:04 PM

well hot d@m

that sucks.

bowties are cool.

Aug 18, 2015, 5:05 PM

quick recovery kj, hurry back.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

THIS is why you don't give scholarships to the Davis twins

Aug 18, 2015, 5:05 PM

2 more LB on the roster that can't contribute in the wake of all of these injuries. It's especially bad that they both play the same position.

yes, go on...

Aug 18, 2015, 5:06 PM

i'm listening.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^^This Juan tracking his prey as his tail slowly begins to twitch....^^^^***

Aug 18, 2015, 7:54 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Really blows

Aug 18, 2015, 5:10 PM [ in reply to THIS is why you don't give scholarships to the Davis twins ]

Hopefully nothing sirious

Anybody know the scoop on Korie Rogers - has to be more to the story

It's an even harder blow now (no pun intended)

Message was edited by: gville76®

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

At least they're not hurt and they haven't quit.

Aug 18, 2015, 5:13 PM [ in reply to THIS is why you don't give scholarships to the Davis twins ]

;)

People control when they're hurt?***

Aug 18, 2015, 7:25 PM

Re: THIS is why you don't give scholarships to the Davis twins

Aug 18, 2015, 5:13 PM [ in reply to THIS is why you don't give scholarships to the Davis twins ]

Really guy? What if one or both of them turns out to be a good player? And you know what? They have scholarships on the Clemson football team. They were offered to them by a heckuva recruiter who can coach his butt off, contrary to popular opinion. How Bout we just say next man up? Best is standard. Go Tigers

Aug 18, 2015, 5:21 PM

Because they weren't offered scholarships due to their football talents but rather their last name? They didn't receive a single other offer to play football. Do you really believe that no one in the entire country decided to take a look at two twin sons of a former all-american playing the same position as their father and somehow we found diamonds in the rough? If god forbid there are more injuries, knock on wood, players will switch positions to LB and play before the Davis twins ever touch the field.

You're assuming the Davis twins

Aug 18, 2015, 5:24 PM

Took a scholarship away from 2 other linebackers Clemson liked. You really have no proof of this other than you don't like the Davis twins.

Re: You're assuming the Davis twins

Aug 18, 2015, 5:32 PM

Ricky DeBerry? Johnathan Sutton? Pretty much any 3-star prospect in the Carolinas/Georgia? No matter how you look at it, its a waste of two scholarships at the same position on players that are not likely to ever see the field besides special teams.

Can you give my the lotto numbers?

Aug 18, 2015, 6:08 PM

Preferably, I would like the numbers 3 years from next Wednesday. Thanks in advance.

Sep 7, 2015, 6:11 AM [ in reply to Re: You're assuming the Davis twins ]

THIS is why people like gbatt shouldnt be allowed to use his parents computer.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 7, 2015, 5:05 PM

I saw both if then make tackles Saturday. Was the game in hand? Sure, but they maintained disciple and handled their assignment. If you know much about defending the option you know that is harder then many realize when you don't see it a lot. All in all, good hustle by them and I think they will continue to provide quality depth for years. And to the poster who referenced Levon Kirkland, I played against him as a freshman when he was a senior. Dude hit like a freight train hauling an aircraft carrier and ran like a RB. True Beast.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 18, 2015, 5:27 PM [ in reply to Re: THIS is why you don't give scholarships to the Davis twins ]

Then what? Fire Dabo? I, on the other hand, prefer to trust the most underrated and under-appreciated coach in college football. Do you really think he would offer them the scholarships if he thought it would hurt the team in the long run? Shut up

Aug 18, 2015, 5:36 PM

You're allowed to be critical of Dabo ya know. I think he's a great coach, amazing man, and a great ambassador for Clemson. I hope he is at Clemson until he retires (although lets face it, he will probably leave for Bama at some point). He certainly can recruit his tail off but that is part of why I'm critical. He could've recruited far better prospects than the twins. You want all the players you can get that have actually earned their way onto the field. You won't see me complaining if Venables commits. His son is a player, and already has offers from other major programs.

Aug 18, 2015, 8:03 PM

Tell 'em COOT!!!!!

Hey....how 'bout you get back to us...

Aug 18, 2015, 5:29 PM [ in reply to Re: THIS is why you don't give scholarships to the Davis twins ]

...when you are qualified to know anything about this, or accomplish anything in life close to Davis, Dabo...or really about anyone.

KTHXBYE

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Re: Hey....how 'bout you get back to us...

Aug 18, 2015, 5:36 PM

And you get back to me when either one of them ever start a game in a Clemson uniform (they won't)

So starting is the barometer?

Aug 18, 2015, 5:54 PM

Now you aren't even smart enough to keep up this discussion.

Good luck to you...fyi, some feathers are sticking out.

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Re: So starting is the barometer?

Aug 18, 2015, 6:02 PM

A single start in 4 years? That's a fairly conservative one. I'd go as low as 100 total snaps between the two. It sounds like you know they won't start a game for the Tigers and that's the whole point! The coaching staff is not out there offering scholarships to players they hope will one day be able to play on special teams. They're trying to find ones that at the very least can develop into starting players. We'll see what happens with the Davis twins, and I hope I'm entirely wrong, but it sounds like we both know they will never be contributors.

Re: So starting is the barometer?

Aug 18, 2015, 6:11 PM

I'm sure they would give you a different assessment. I understand your concerns, but don't condemn these kids to a long career of benchwarming just yet. How many 4*s have we seen wash out? And how many completely unheralded players become indispensable to the team? It sounds to me like the twins are working their asxes off like everyone else, and we already know what caliber of coaches we have. Good things can happen with that combination.

Care to guess % of 'ship players that start a game?

Aug 18, 2015, 6:39 PM [ in reply to Re: So starting is the barometer? ]

You realize it's under 70%, right?

Do you want to keep pulling stuff out of your ####?

Would it be great to have some high level guys to come in? Sure...but give it a rest on the 'mistake' that was made by the staff.

You can only hope Dabo is gone soon, and you know darn well - the only way his is gone is if he wins a NC or 2 and then Bama calls.

We'd all be good with that (other than you capons).

Re: Care to guess % of 'ship players that start a game?

Aug 18, 2015, 8:08 PM

And you have two twins so the chance of neither of them ever get a start using that 70% is only 9% (.3 x .3). And yet, id take those odds and so would you.

And I love Dabo. Just because I think he's an incredible person, coach and ambassador for Clemson doesn't mean I can't be critical of some of his decisions.

Aug 18, 2015, 5:23 PM [ in reply to Re: THIS is why you don't give scholarships to the Davis twins ]

We could've easily had top-100 player Ricky DeBerry at the position, but backed off due to numbers. No matter how you slice it, 2 scholarships is a lot to throw at guys who aren't expected to play much beyond special teams even by the coaches.

Oh give me a break....***

Aug 18, 2015, 5:19 PM [ in reply to THIS is why you don't give scholarships to the Davis twins ]

Why don't you take it up with their dad? Get in his face &

Aug 18, 2015, 5:31 PM [ in reply to THIS is why you don't give scholarships to the Davis twins ]

tell him what you think. After that, do the same with Coach Venables.

Lol, you think Coach V wanted the Davis twins?

Aug 18, 2015, 5:58 PM

Please.. that was 100% a Dabo move. I support CDS but that doesn't mean I have to agree with every decision he makes. It's nothing more than a self-imposed 2-scholarship penalty, and may well come back to haunt us this year.

Didn't Coach watch them play every single week ?

Aug 18, 2015, 6:01 PM

While watching his son play ?

Re: Didn't Coach watch them play every single week ?

Aug 18, 2015, 6:04 PM

The idea is that Dabo KNOWS they can't play. That's where the criticism comes from. They were taken because of their father and to keep alive the "clemson family" but at some point you have too many of those players on your roster and it starts to affect depth. Dabo may have watched them every week but just because he offered them the scholarships doesn't mean he thinks they will down the line be playing meaningful snaps for Clemson.

BV also saw them play every week.***

Aug 18, 2015, 6:18 PM

I don't do many TDs.

Aug 18, 2015, 5:48 PM [ in reply to THIS is why you don't give scholarships to the Davis twins ]

You are the exception.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What a crappy thing to say!

Aug 18, 2015, 6:49 PM [ in reply to THIS is why you don't give scholarships to the Davis twins ]

I hope Crump removes this tasteless bantor. You do realize that just about every player (and recruit), and most of the parents read these things, right? Why would you publicly humiliate two Clemson Tigers like that? Have some courtesy and respect! Also, I thought they were given grey-shirts...

Greyshirt...

Sep 7, 2015, 1:17 AM

http://www.tigernet.com/update/recruiting/JD-Davis-signs-Clemson---Bio-Highlights-Rankings-14810

Aug 18, 2015, 8:05 PM [ in reply to THIS is why you don't give scholarships to the Davis twins ]

If they show up to practice and participate, then they are contributing to the TEAM.

Sep 7, 2015, 5:37 AM [ in reply to THIS is why you don't give scholarships to the Davis twins ]

I really feel bad for Jeff Davis and his son's especially if they visit these sites. The hatred and anger directed at these two young men, probably by older people is really pathetic.

Aug 18, 2015, 5:06 PM

Great

"Excuse me? I don't go down to your work and tell you how to flip the burger!"

Aug 18, 2015, 5:07 PM

our LB situation = hot mess

State of Emergency Emergency Emergency !

Aug 18, 2015, 5:08 PM

State of Emergency Emergency Emergency at LB ... 6 dbs now with Goodson with Boulware as backup.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's officially getting bad now.***

Aug 18, 2015, 5:11 PM

He'll be back in time for the Louisville game for sure

Aug 18, 2015, 5:16 PM

He redshirted last year so he knows what's going on and he has had a good camp. He is real strong. I think he will have an awesome career at Clemson. Brent and Dabo have said he was looking good.

I think we hit a home run with Joseph and Chad.

I hope he recovers perfectly and is back real soon.

Go Tigers.

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Aug 18, 2015, 5:18 PM

I think there is only one way this Clemson team this year is gonna be stopped. And that's injuries. Hopefully they stop now.

Aug 18, 2015, 5:37 PM

I know Korie Rogers was a shock to everyone, and hopefully KJ comes back healthy in a couple weeks. Still, though, I think the point many are making about the Davis twins is valid. Yes, Dabo has been right before -- Wayne Gallman people thought was a reach to get Nkemd$che. Ryan Carter looks like a good ballplayer now but his signing was widely panned. Grady Jarrett was, what, a 2 or 3 star prospect? Hopefully the staff here again have found two diamonds in the rough.

However, this season is pointing towards the importance of depth at every position. It's not even week 1 and we have been bit by the injury bug already. We're starting a true freshman left tackle (granted one with every accolade you can imagine as a HS player) and have, what, 5 linebackers now? If we spent 2 scholarships on the Davis boys...just to prove how much the "Clemson family" matters -- I think that's a mistake. Sometimes you get so smart you outsmart yourself. Just because you find a Tom Brady in the 6th round once doesn't mean you will every year. Didn't we use to be "Linebacker U?"

I look forward to apologizing for this post in a few years. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Thank God we play Wofford.***

Aug 18, 2015, 5:45 PM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

wofford <----- gotta play assignment football...

Aug 18, 2015, 5:48 PM

or they can make a superior team look bad

blown LB assignment vs that wishbone / option offense can go for huge chunks of yards

not saying clemson gonna lose, but zero depth hurts , even against wofford

Aug 18, 2015, 6:47 PM

Sounds like they just went in and cleaned up some junk. Should be fine in a month .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Aug 18, 2015, 6:52 PM

Wish they would really consider moving Register back to LB, with Yeargon coming on strong this off-season at DE I think they could afford the move, specially now with Rogers quitting and Joseph banged up.

Aug 18, 2015, 6:55 PM

Boulware can play all three LB positions simultaneously , from his dorm room ....in the tub , with a toy submarine.... that doesn't meet bouyancy regulations .

We Good . Unclench .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

EVERYONE CALM DOWN

Aug 18, 2015, 8:05 PM

Clemson is fine at the Linebacker Position. They started with 14 on the roster at the beginning of camp. That's pretty deep. It's not depth, but experience that is going to be the question. The departure of Korie didn't even phase the LB position. When Coach Venables is declaring a state of emergency at the LB position that simply translates to a sense of urgency to spin up the younger guys to create an effective dept chart at that position. However, in matters of KJ going through a scope, that is a 2 week recovery and then he should be full go by the Louisville game because there is an additional 2 week rehab that usually follows. A scope is very common after an ACL surgery to remove any scar tissue that may cause pain or limited mobility after the fact. KJ will be fine, and so will this Clemson Defense.

Another consideration would be that Coach Venables is a Line Backer Coach. So I do not see too much of a concern seeing as he is probably the best Defensive Coordinator in College Football at the moment. Look what he was able to do in just one Spring and Summer camp with an abysmal defense lead by Kevin Steele. He managed to take some Redshirt Freshmen, and Sophomores and turn them into the number 1 Defense in all the land within two seasons. A single season later, our defense destroyed the offense of LSU. I'm not too worried at this point. What will more than likely happen is some cross training of some of the DE and bigger DB that will fill the roles of LB for a drive or two out of each game depending on what defensive package Clemson decides to use for that play or drive. It will be completely fine.

In fact, if I were a betting man, I would say that Clemson should have an Oculus Trophy to match that Oculus in the West End Zone by season's end.

GO TIGERS!

2024 free_orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

I've watched video

Aug 18, 2015, 8:40 PM

I've watched video on both of these young men and came away with an overall positive opinion. The only thing I think either of the lack is speed. Neither of them are burners but that can be improved. Both of them fight off blocks well, have good recognition, are not afraid to lay the wood. They seem to have a knack for knocking the ball loose.

I don't know this for fact but how many schools actually recruit at Daniel? My thinking is very few, simply because it is a waste of their time. Everyone knows if they are at Daniel and get D1 looks, they're going to Clemson. In this case a HUGE Clemson legacy, certainly a lost cause.

Before I throw the Davis boys inder the bus I'd.like to see what both of them can do. Also there are a lot of players on this team that Dabo and other coaches have not mentioned for whatever reason. But their names keep being brought up. If Dabo has no hope of them playing why bring them into the conversation?

I seem to remember a guy that Coach Ford didn't want very much. He was a Linebacker that Danny thought might play on special teams at some poi t if he were lucky. But then he saw his work ethic. He saw a kid who got after it every day, hit the weights, improved himself in every way he could. I had the chance see this "kid" play once in HS. Against the school that would later be where I graduated from. He hit one of our guys near the sideline. He knocked the kid up under the bench in a feroceous display of things to come. The kid refused to go back on the field and literally quit football. Last time I checked he'd been a pro-bowl LB, avotex onto the 1990's All Decade team.....that guy was MR. LEVON KIRKLAND.

Forgive me for thinking that Dabo and Co. Know what they are doing. Forgive me for thinking that Brent Venables might see something in these kids. I'm sure he saw them ay a few times seeing that his son also plays for Daniel. I think I'll leave this one to the staff. Btw, both of the Davis boys, on tape, look better than DJ Greenlee's did when he was at Daniel and Id say as good as Bj Goodson as well.

Re: I've watched video

Aug 18, 2015, 8:46 PM

Levon had freakish athleticism. The twins both lack the foot speed, agility, and hips to turn and move explosively like we need at the linebacker position.

Aug 18, 2015, 11:36 PM

I disagree, not totally but I understand what you are saying and why you think that. I think both of them will provide decent depth in the MLB/ILB role. I could see them being run stuffers from that position. Do I think they will be able to cover top flight ends....nah. But there are plenty of ILB's around the country that also have that issue. In fact, MOST ILB's playing college ball are liabities in coverage.

I just can't see Dabo and BV or even Daddy Jeff using 2 schollies for players that they don't feel can make some kind of impact. I just can't see it.

I know this is a case where Me and you both, hope that I am right. Neither of us would want to see any of our Tigers individually and collectively, fail.

Sep 7, 2015, 1:56 AM

Missed this comment a few weeks ago, but yes, I think they can play as 3rd string run stuffers and special teams enforcers. Let's put it this way, though - if they are ever playing meaningful minutes in games that matter, something is seriously wrong and our defense will not be at the level necessary to win a national championship.
Here's to hoping I have to eat my hat in the next few years.

Replies: 54
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic