Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Slive Renews Threat To Break SEC From NCAA(c/p)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1,993

Slive Renews Threat To Break SEC From NCAA(c/p)

Jul 14, 2014, 3:12 PM

SLIVE RENEWS THREAT TO BREAK SEC FROM NCAA

SEC Media Days

HOOVER, Alabama – Southeastern Conference Commissioner Mike Slive opened the league’s media days championing some of the same issues he has for the past several seasons.

Leading the way is threat that the NCAA will have to improve its policies and direction or the Big Five Conferences – SEC, ACC, PAC-12, Big-10 and Big 12 – may have to look in another direction for a governing body.

“The ongoing review of the NCAA governing structure is intended to provide for the introduction of new strategies and new ideas,” Slive said this morning. “With a new structure in place, amongst our goals, we seek to support the educational needs of our student-athletes through the provisions of scholarship linked to cost of attendance rather than the historic model of tuition, room and board, fees and books.”

Slive has been a long-time champion of increased compensation of athletes for their efforts while in college. He has pushed the NCAA on the topic but appeared to take it to a new level this year.

“As I have said before, if we do not achieve a positive outcome under the existing big tent of Division I, we will need to consider the establishment of a venue with similar conferences and institutions where we can enact the desired changes in the best interest of our student-athletes.”

Slive hinted that the big five conferences are ready to act if it feels the NCAA is not acting in the best interest if its institutions.

“It is important that the NCAA governance steering committed continue its support for autonomous decision making among the five conferences, including proper voting thresholds to allow for the enactment of meaningful change.”

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and college football inches ever closer to the "OFF' button.***

Jul 14, 2014, 3:17 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

True. I hear subscriptions for the SEC network aren't doing well.

Jul 14, 2014, 3:30 PM

That should tell Mike Slive something, but he's a legend in his own mind and won't understand.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In the Midlands only Dish Network is carrying it....

Jul 14, 2014, 4:40 PM

Time Warner, U-Verse, Directv, none of those have it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In the Midlands only Dish Network is carrying it....

Jul 14, 2014, 6:12 PM

http://uverse.com/uverse/secnetwork

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's offensive to hear him call their athletes students***

Jul 14, 2014, 3:23 PM

$crew Mike Slive ! Let the SEC jump ship.

Jul 14, 2014, 3:24 PM

Their ego is so over blown they are legends in their own minds and rule the world. Let them go ! Good riddance and take your chicken groupie second cousins with you !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think he is talking about the biggest 64 programs leaving

Jul 14, 2014, 3:30 PM

including the SEC. This has been put out there--Clemson included to break away from the small fries.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Isn't just the SEC, all the big five***

Jul 14, 2014, 3:31 PM [ in reply to $crew Mike Slive ! Let the SEC jump ship. ]

You mean the SEC can't go alone? Impossible ! ;)***

Jul 14, 2014, 3:32 PM

They only need the other four for scrimmages and someone to make fun of.

Re: Slive Renews Threat To Break SEC From NCAA(c/p)

Jul 14, 2014, 3:45 PM

Epiphany time:

When the "BIG %" vote to leave several members of those big five will leave their respective conferences. The next football season the Slive Five teams will play their reduced professional league schedule, have a playoff and crown a champion. Ditto that they will do the same the next year and the next and maybe for quite a while.

Meanwhile those who stay with the NCAA will play amateur football, have bowl games and crown their champion. In time the viewing public will tire of the pseudo-professional Slive Five and viewership will dwindle and the true/more amateur NCAA will regain any lost status.

Should NCAA teams NOT play the Slive Five teams the downfall of the Slive Five will be swifter.

FYI ... I could see Vanderbilt, Stanford, Duke, Virginia, Pitt, Ga Tech, Northwestern staying with the NCAA.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Slive Renews Threat To Break SEC From NCAA(c/p)

Jul 14, 2014, 3:58 PM

the NCAA only acts in the NCAA's interest. They do watch out for the SEC though more than most so I'm not sure what his gripe is

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The NCAA doesn't make money on football

Jul 14, 2014, 4:41 PM

TV deals, the bowls, the BCS, or the new playoffs. The only football money they make is from EA sports and officially licensed products.

I hear these people are looking for some new "campuses"

Jul 14, 2014, 4:15 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correctional_Services_Corporation

Vince Dooley did the same thing in the early

Jul 14, 2014, 4:36 PM

80's when he was president of the CFA. It just that a threat, all the cost of running the other championships, policing the rules is more cost than the conferences would like to pay.

The $EC already doesn't abide by NCAA rules so basically...

Jul 14, 2014, 4:39 PM

they aren't a member of the NCAA as far as football is concerned.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Slivetheren and Lord Valdemort can start a semi-pro league

Jul 14, 2014, 6:32 PM

And pronounce themselves Grand Champions of the World every year......WHO CARES???

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Slivetheren and Lord Valdemort can start a semi-pro league

Jul 15, 2014, 8:58 AM

100% right ... semipro says it all/best. I would pay attention for a season or at least part of a season and would probably then opt for the full pro game.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1,993
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic