Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Could the NCAA institute a playin game?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Could the NCAA institute a playin game?

Nov 1, 2018, 8:03 AM

I know that a lot of the playoff format has been set for several years in advance, but how much flexibility do they have? My suggestion would be to add a game for the top 2 teams not playing in a conference championship to play each other. That would prevent teams from backing in like Ohio State and Alabama the last two years, and also keep an independent such as Notre Dame from getting a bye week. Does that make sense, and would it be feasible to institute in the near future?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Could the NCAA institute a playin game?

Nov 1, 2018, 8:09 AM

They have zero flexibility until 2026 when the contract is renewed. Of course the interested parties can agree to do something earlier which I hope they do by expanding to eight.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I disagree. Four is plenty.

Nov 1, 2018, 8:16 AM

There are not 8 teams worthy of going to post season play every season. You’ve got to earn it during the season. Oklahoma, Washington State, etc. have not earned post season inclusion. Increasing it to 8 would be awful.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Nov 1, 2018, 8:39 AM [ in reply to Re: Could the NCAA institute a playin game? ]

With 8 teams there would be even more issues with teams getting in without making their championship. You would not have to require a game as long as it could be given as an option. I think you would find teams anxious to play it in order to impress the committee and it does not increase anyone's schedule any more than what most of the better teams already play.

I reject your proposal. if you dont win your conference

Nov 1, 2018, 8:14 AM

you don't go to the playoffs.

we need to get to a true playoff and stop trying to subjectively pick who should be the national champion.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

It’s not that simple

Nov 1, 2018, 8:19 AM

I do agree that conference championships need to be the first metric included. But there are plenty of other factors. OOC games, SOS, even the dreaded eye test. It’s hard not to say that Alabama was clearly one of the top 4 teams last season.

no..no

Nov 1, 2018, 8:27 AM

no..

that is not a playoff. .that is subjectivity.which is why the system keeps failing. the nc has always been plagued by "people" having to chose who they think was the best team.

it is still that way today which is why it is still flawed.

a playoff doesn't care who the top 4 teams are.

your conference sends it's best team via a conference champ game.

your conference chooses , however they want, which 2 teams play in the conference champ game. the winner goes on.

no polls, no indexes,

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: no..no

Nov 1, 2018, 8:49 AM

Actually, that IS a playoff. The playoff only begins once the 4 teams are selected. Everything before that is NOT a playoff at all.

The goal of the CFP Committee is to put the 4 BEST teams into the playoffs. They have to CHOOSE the 4 best teams. Therefore, the playoff only starts after they choose the teams.

Also, how can you say the conferences each send their champion when there is 5 conferences and 4 spots (also excluding the UCFs of the world)? Are you also advocating for an increase in the playoff?

This current system is working well and as intended. I hope they don't change it. Even a blind man could have seen that Alabama was one of the top 4 teams last year.

"the 4 best teams"

Nov 1, 2018, 9:04 AM

is 100% biased. we went from 20 poll in the BCS to 1 12 person poll.

poll
poll
poll

people should not decide who should be the NC. people should not decide who the best teams are.

the conference champ games would be the 1st round of a true playoff.

the 1st step is changing the mind set of college football. get away from polls and committes, and opinions.

to answers your specific question.
there are currently 4 spots. if I was in control, the playoff committee's only role would be to pick wich 4 conference champs would go. Bama would not have been in last year, osu would not have been in the year before.

if you didn't win your conference I wouldn't even consider you. I don't give a turd what espn, the ap, or coaches think.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

Nov 1, 2018, 8:49 AM [ in reply to no..no ]

You either play your way in or you play your way out.

This subjective eye test bull$#!7 needs to end.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Win your conference or shut that trap. Alabama should not

Nov 1, 2018, 8:59 AM [ in reply to It’s not that simple ]

have been in last year. Did not win conference or even play in conf champ game. OUT! If you want your conference to select best 2 for champ game, then get rid of divisions and go big12 route. But win your conference or shut up and go home.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I reject your proposal. if you dont win your conference

Nov 1, 2018, 8:30 AM [ in reply to I reject your proposal. if you dont win your conference ]

Well, what is a true playoff and how do you decide who gets in if it is not subjectively? Should teams in weaker conferences get in solely because they are conference champs?

"weaker" is a subjective adjective

Nov 1, 2018, 8:41 AM

and that is why the cfp playoff will always fail.
peole just can't let go of their bias.

the common sentiment on this board is that ND gets special treatment which is bad for fooball.

well you are doing the same, trying to give special treatment /consideration for metrics you feel are important. there is no difference between SOS and THE EYE TEST.

let the conferences determine who their best team is on the field. if you think your conference is holding you back, change it. change your conference. ..don't hold the rest of college football hostage like ND does

Nov 1, 2018, 8:15 AM

I doubt seriously if the NCAA could scratch their rear ends without getting approval from Notre Dame, who [probably]laughed in their face, and the ACC by joining as a "non-" football member.
Besides both Alabama, and Ohio State to play in a conference that has a playoff, so what does that tell you about what kind of power, or clout the NCAA has, which is
1)"Zilch"
2)"Nada"
3"Zero"
So I would say while it would make sense, don't expect it to happen in your lifetime.

Was 'subjectivity' really used as an argument

Nov 1, 2018, 8:46 AM

Against expansion? Subjectivity is all OVER the current process. At day's end, that's really the driver because there's little H2H comparisons/results to use. Some call it 'eye test', others refer to it as 'transitive' and, yet again, others talk potential teams down, rather than build others up. How is ANY of that not subjective?

In reality, the criteria need to be based on 12 games, or 13 games. Using 12 eases a transition to expansion as the season doesn't lengthen and, in fact, could still enrich bowl match-ups as the four losers of round 1 (played the current Conference Championship Weekend) could still go to a bowl game.

As for worthiness, if TL missed a game due to injury...or even Tua, and the team lost, yet won all the rest, is either team any less of a Top 8 simply because of the 'L', or due to the reason for the 'L'. If that can't be recognized, then it's folly to think any process recognizes the best teams.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 1, 2018, 8:56 AM [ in reply to Re: Could the NCAA institute a playin game? ]

I think that Notre Dame does mainly what they want due to money and I imagine such a game could provide revenue that teams would be interested in. Personally, I think the biggest hurdle would be logistics. You could potentially have a West Coast team have to play an East Coast team on short notice where the teams and fan bases had little time for preparations. Although, I would not expect a large turn out for the game itself, I do think that a TV contract could be profitable.

Except bama did not play in champ game last year..........***

Nov 1, 2018, 9:00 AM [ in reply to Re: Could the NCAA institute a playin game? ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 1, 2018, 8:55 AM

It should be so simple. The 4 highest ranked conference champions. That's it. No team should get a week off like bama did last year. Its not sporting.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 1, 2018, 9:14 AM

It should be simple but conferences and particularly divisions are not equal. No one in the ACC Coastal, the Big 10 West, or the PAC 12 South deserve to go regardless of what happens in the championship games. Some years things will work out that most agree on, but I think that will be the exception. There will still be debate regardless of how many you have. The more I think about it, I don't know if it is logistically possible, but my original thought was simply that it would give another good data point for the committee to consider since conference championships seem to me to hold little weight regardless of what the committee says.

Nov 1, 2018, 9:18 AM

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but I think CFP is independent of the NCAA. I'm sure the NCAA has some involvement, but the CFP is a separate contract between the 5 power conferences, ND, the group of five conferences, the affected bowls, and most importantly, the TV media. The television networks hold the purse strings and therefore has the biggest influence on the how the CFP works. If the NCAA ran the playoff it would look more like the basketball, baseball, soccer, waterpolo, etc, etc,etc NCAA playoffs.

you are correct

Nov 1, 2018, 1:16 PM

cept I'm sure cocaine and hoookers played some role as well

Yesterday I had THIS suggestion to fix things...

Nov 1, 2018, 9:19 AM

...with regard to a non-conference champ sneaking in after getting to rest while the other CFP contenders are beating each other up...IN SOME YEARS, it would make things interesting.

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/How-about-this-as-a-NEW-RULE-24376812

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yesterday I had THIS suggestion to fix things...

Nov 1, 2018, 9:55 AM

Great. Sorry that you are defensive about "I called it first." Did you say something before last week?

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/Re-ND-and-UCF-Should-Play-a-Play-In-Game-For-Spot-4-24318853#24318853

Defensive????

Nov 1, 2018, 9:57 AM

I'm just pointing out a link for a suggestion I made yesterday. Easier to include the link than retype. If anyone has their panties in a bunch take a look in the mirror. Have a great day...sheesh.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pride of authorship is

Nov 1, 2018, 10:09 AM

Yuge! Yuge in these parts! ;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don’t believe

Nov 1, 2018, 10:11 AM [ in reply to Defensive???? ]

That the ncaa will do anything to add more games to the schedule. I’ll be very surprised if the eight team playoff becomes a reality. Football isn’t like basketball where you can have a large tournament field. A week between games would be necessary because of the nature of football and you are talking about extending the season into February., it’s not going to happen. Imo

ESPN has. 5.5 billion dollar contract that lasts for several more years so nothing can be done until then. The system we have perhaps isn’t perfect but it’s working.

Re: I don’t believe

Nov 1, 2018, 10:36 AM

Just to clarify, my suggestion is kind of the NIT of football conference championships. I think that we probably have 2 teams the committee would have interest in that are not in a conference championship game. Let them play each other the week of the Conference championships. They are not playing any more than the other teams being considered for the CFP and New Year's Six Bowls.

They already were supposed to have.

Nov 1, 2018, 11:45 AM

They're called Conference Championship games.

Too bad they don't use them much.

Nov 1, 2018, 12:21 PM

Why do people always have to screw with stuff?

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic