Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Season tickets for students? Fixing attendance on the hill? DRad looking at all options
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

New Story: Season tickets for students? Fixing attendance on the hill? DRad looking at all options

Jan 25, 2018, 1:36 PM

Season tickets for students? Fixing attendance on the hill? DRad looking at all options

Student ticketing for football and attendance on Clemson’s iconic hill were all hot-button topics during the 2017 season as students bristled at the new ticket distribution format and the hill appeared empty for some home games. What will 2018 hold? Clemson Athletic Director Dan Radakovich is looking at ways to improve both. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for trying David.

Jan 25, 2018, 1:46 PM

But after reading DRad's response I'm left feeling like.

Re: Thanks for trying David.

Jan 25, 2018, 1:58 PM

I’m just pissed off that according to these rules, I will never have the opportunity to go sit on the Hill, even if just for a few plays, with my children. Apparently even if one day they are students.

Take a one hour on-line class.***

Jan 25, 2018, 10:25 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thanks for trying David.

Jan 25, 2018, 2:43 PM [ in reply to Thanks for trying David. ]

On most issues, I've been happy with D-Rad, but this is a complete f-bar! Like most of the posters, I didn't see a problem with the hill seating other than the ND game a few years ago. As to the reasoning of the Student Gov on the block seating, the students can vote the problem-causers out of office. I don't know why the hill cannot be full, why the student section can't be seated so that friends can attend together, and why we have to charge students for tickets.

This should be an easy fix. Go back to the way it was a few years ago, and have some uniformed officers (not the green-shirted folks) to make an executive decision on when the hill is full. Whey they say "no more" on the hill, it is closed. If you want to sit there, you arrive early.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story:

Jan 25, 2018, 1:56 PM

When I was in school you could buy a set of season tickets at a discounted rate as a student. With those tickets you could;

a) Exchange it for a ticket beside you if you picked one up, essentially a date ticket, or

b) Use the ticket for yourself, essentially promising you a ticket for all home games.

If you used that ticket it was general admission and only for the Hill, and the cost was around $250-$300. I used this process every year I could because it was simply easier than having to fight through lines or online, etc.

I wish more people would follow the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" motto on most things.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just sell Hill tix for cheap and fill it up with kids again.

Jan 25, 2018, 1:57 PM

Get off my Lawn!

my method

Jan 25, 2018, 2:00 PM

use the airliner method and give out 2x as many student tickets as we have room and then put the excess on the hill

DRad...I'll tell you the part that "old videos" don't

Jan 25, 2018, 2:06 PM

At the front of the stadium just behind the West Zone, two ladies would sit there and you could buy for $6 a General Admission (Hill) ticket, which was great for very young kids or students who didn't get a ticket allocated. You had to meet certain criteria to be able to purchase these. You guys stopped selling them...may be time to re-think that.

Re: DRad...I'll tell you the part that "old videos" don't

Jan 26, 2018, 8:05 AM

I remember those days and as a High School student it game me exposure to Clemson Football and the University. I still fondly remember watching Joe Montana and Notre Dame barely defeating Clemson that afternoon in 1977 sitting on the hill. High school students no longer have that opportunity. It made me want to come to Clemson and be a part of something great. The mentality today I can't quite comprehend. Even today sitting in the stands I still look towards the hill and wish I could sit there just one last time.

Fixing attendance on the hill? DRad looking at all options

Jan 25, 2018, 2:08 PM

So we had a system of the dedicated fans getting in line earlier than those who aren't, replaced it with a true lottery system which put tickets in the hands of people who don't give a crap, and instead of going back to what works we're going to charge the kids who are $$$ to get the seats they want? Great...
It's not rocket science, the old system of waiting in line and camping out for the Marquee games worked great for YEARS. Any student who complained about missing class for tickets is full of it, or has literally 0 friends to hold their place in line.

Also, making the hill only students at all costs is ruining it for everyone. If there's a safety issue for bigger games them setup some extra security just for those games, not the snoozers against Furman where everyone just wants to chill on a half empty hill with their friends, without getting patted down to do it.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

From a student's perspective.

Jan 25, 2018, 2:17 PM

My problem with the hill. (And no I am not making excuses for students who do not showing up) But as a student who has now experienced 4 football seasons as a student (and many more before that), there was something different about the hill this year. The past three years, there was railings all around the hill that, even though against the rules, this would allow many more students and even fans to pile onto the hill. Now they have fenced off all of these railings and and installed two skinny walkways as the only entrances on the hill. So along with there only being these 2 entrances, the EPI staff is impossible to reason with and are over the top strict. I have been denied getting on the hill when I put in for a hill ticket and even had the confirmation email but they wouldn't have any of it.

It is also very strange to me when I am on the hill and do see a few adults with smaller children. Now I am all for allowing general admission tickets for non students to be able to sit/stand on the hill, but it is very confusing to me when they are so strict about students trying to sneak on or in general just use their tickets and get denied yet I see non students.

I believe that the hill should be filled every home game no matter what (obviously) and making it next to impossible to get onto it is not a step in the right direction.

Umm No

Jan 25, 2018, 2:18 PM

I read this as he sees no other option besides making students pay for tickets. Sorry, but that's not the answer. Free tickets are a perk to being a student!

What was wrong with the previous distribution - Seniors on Mondays, Juniors on Tuesdays, and so on and you had to walk up to the IPTAY office to get it? Granted, I graduated 5 years ago, but we didn't have a problem filling to hill. I personally didn't like sitting on the hill so I had no issue opting for the upper deck, if the lower deck sections weren't available. However, if I had to pay for a ticket (not matter seat location), I wouldn't go because I couldn't have afforded it. Therefore, dividing the haves and have nots.

Student Government - bring back the blocks. What's the big deal? We never sat in the same place as a block over the 6-7 home games.

Also, who cares if the hill has students vs. non-students??! It's not like the rest of the stadium is solely full of alumni!

Stop trying to monetize everything, sometimes it's not about value, but the experience!

There are only two options.

Jan 25, 2018, 3:00 PM

You either make the tickets more difficult to get... i.e. camping and waiting in line for them so it feels like you earned them. Or you install consequences for those that don't use their tickets... e.e. if your allocated ticket doesn't get scanned in during the first half of the first quarter and scanned out during the fourth quarter, you don't get a ticket for the remainder of the season. (or both).

Students have done nothing to "earn" their tickets. I am a recent graduate (2016) and I camped out for several days for many games. If they aren't paying for the tickets, then they don't deserve the right to dictate how they receive or use these free tickets.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Well that was a complete non answer...DRad is more concerned

Jan 25, 2018, 3:15 PM

with getting more premium suites constructed than he is student seating. The allocation process was broken last year. More than once my daughter, who is student IPTAY and a senior, was online at the exact time she was supposed to be only to wait and wait and then not get selected for the lottery. Ended up buying her a ticket for Auburn.

In the past if a senior missed their day they could log back in on Junior, Sophomore, or Freshman day...but not last year. We'll gladly pay for tickets if that is what it comes down to. Our Freshman Bridge student paid for tickets for every game last year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A huge contributor and an easy fix...

Jan 25, 2018, 3:22 PM

Police and stadium staff block off the passage at the top of the Hill way too early. So many people enter from Gate 1 and Gate 5 and are trying to go around the Hill, but can't because it's already shut down. This backs up traffic so that people trying to get in the Hill can't even get close. It takes them about 30 seconds to stop traffic and pull up the ropes. Why can't they wait until the buses are pulling up to do this? Rather than inhibit students and fans alike from accessing other parts of the stadium.

Wait a second!

Jan 25, 2018, 4:11 PM

I thought that the hill attendance issue was a fire marshal problem?????

DRad - U are paid a whole lot of money...fix the GD problem & quit

Jan 25, 2018, 5:16 PM

making it so complicated!! If u can’t easily fix this little problem then what the HeII do u do about major problems & why do we pay u??? Also, put in a new, giant ### Video Screen...ours is embarrassingly weathered looking & outdated compared to big football schools!!

Jan 25, 2018, 5:17 PM

making it so complicated!! If u can’t easily fix this little problem then what the HeII do u do about major problems & why do we pay u??? Also, put in a new, giant ### Video Screen...ours is embarrassingly weathered looking & outdated compared to big football schools!!

Jan 25, 2018, 5:17 PM

While they are improving the video

Jan 26, 2018, 6:54 AM

screen, I wish they would work on the tiger on top. That tiger is so faded and in need of a coat of paint. That has bothered me for a while now. I love the tiger up there, but he needs a make over.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Methinks DRad is doing a whole lotta talking

Jan 25, 2018, 5:50 PM

and not a lotta listening.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

It's not that hard

Jan 25, 2018, 5:57 PM

I attended Clemson from 2011-2015, so naturally we had some marquee matchups (UGA 2013, FSU 2013, FSU 2015, ND 2015, etc.) and I went to pretty much all of them barring illness or being out of town, which almost never happened.

Let me talk you some of the issues, from a [former] student perspective. (sorry in advance for the text wall)

Block Seating - I actually think removing this was a great idea, and let me tell you why. If a group had a block and a guaranteed seat, they wouldn't show up for the start of the game and would rather stay outside shotgunning a few more beers. My S/O was in one of the sororities that had a block and they would openly admit it - they'd wait til halfway through Q1 to avoid the lines, head out halfway through Q2, and then half of them wouldn't come back. Her response: "why would I wait in line? I didn't have to fight for a seat like everyone else, I already had one." This made terrible looking gaps in the student section before kickoffs, and would really kill the vibe. There were exceptions of course for certain games, but if we were playing BC or SC State - you could forget it. You can still get tickets together in the online process (I sat with my girlfriend all of 2015 when we switched to that), so if you want a seat you squeeze in.

Online process - I just touched on this, and it definitely made things convenient when it was working, but I agree with other posters - camping out was part of the experience, and I tell people all the time about how we slept in tents for two weeks and the line wrapped around DV for UGA '13. It also meant that people were serious - if you slept in that parking lot for two weeks, you weren't wasting your ticket anymore.

Hill - the new restrictions are absurd. They used to open the gate and it was a sprint to the hill to get down to the bottom. I always tried to get to the flat part in the middle, but I had to be there 90 minutes early if I wanted to make it happen. I agree with other posters here as well - EPI is ridiculous with their requirements and turn people off from going over there. The headache gets to the point where it's like "if I get a hill ticket, I just won't go".

Unused Tickets - this one is simple. Return your ticket by Thursday 8 pm, or it's claimed to your student ID. Miss the first one, things happen, but you claim a ticket twice and don't use it? You lose ticketing privileges for one year from that date. Tickets that are returned: students that received Hill tickets have first opportunity to swap for a regular seat, cut it off by noon Friday. Returned Hill tickets and anything left over there go on sale to the public at noon. The Hill will be full one way or another. Also, charge people a ticket fee and be done with it. You pay the fee, you can go camp and wait in line for a ticket. You don't pay the fee, no tickets. This eliminates the blanket "Athletic Fee" that everyone riots over for the kids that don't want to watch football, and again, if you had to pay for the right to buy them you're probably more likely to go use them. Most of the kids that are going to complain about this are the same ones that blow their money on booze every weekend. I took 15-21 hours a semester my entire time at Clemson, and worked 1-2 jobs the entire time. Keep the fee reasonable - if the students want to go, they'll figure out a way to get there. They do it for booze all the time (I am guilty of that as well), they can do it for football.

rant over

I have a zany idea...might be too over the top for some....

Jan 25, 2018, 6:07 PM

Go back to how we've done it for 30+ years before you guys royally screwed it up this year.

I'm sure we paid some consultant 5 figures to give us this current method, and it's hard to just flush that down the toilet, but it's time to move on.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have a zany idea...might be too over the top for some....

Jan 25, 2018, 6:41 PM

Back in the 80's every student was guaranteed a ticket. Students went to the games. We had over 85k numerous times. I realize there are more students now,
The problem is many students that want to go can't get a ticket. This is one of the reasons blocks are not best method as why should frats have benefits over the rest of the student body (btw I was in a fraternity with block seating). It was ok back in the 80's as all students were guaranteed tickets.

Do what other schools do, if you get a ticket and don't go(or return your ticket) you lose ticket privileges.

Also for everyone that wants the general public on the Hill, would iptay ticket holders be willing to give up there good seats to student distribution. Students used to get tickets up to the 40 in the 80's and we were pretty good back then.

Re: I have a zany idea...might be too over the top for some....

Jan 26, 2018, 7:31 AM

I would also give in-state students priority on getting tickets. Locals are more likely to have grown up Tiger fans and care about the games. The admissions office doesn't seem to care much about in-state students, but perhaps the athletic dept could help make up for that.

Not hard to fix it

Jan 25, 2018, 9:27 PM

It isn’t hard problem to solve.

The student tickets (excluding the Hill) are distributed using the lottery system. Could also do a portion as season ticket. Doesn’t really matter to me. This leaves a fair number of students without tickets. Students not getting tickets or those just wanting to sit there line up at the stadium. 2 hours before kickoff the students in line, or the first 3000 anyway, get in and sit on the Hill. That way you get people actually want to be at the game and thus increase the likelihood they are actually at the game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2 comments

Jan 26, 2018, 9:16 AM

(1) I thought students already had to pay to get lower-deck tickets. Was that scrapped? I know there was a big brouhaha about it...

(2) The Hill should always be *primarily* for students but you know what? The Hill needs to be for *kids* too. Especially when the game is out of reach. Kids love The Hill. Their parents also occasionally love being on The Hill, whether it's to watch their kids have fun or to enjoy a bit of nostalgia. I don't see any reason why it has to be *only* for students.

I also think they desperately need to re-think Hill access

Jan 26, 2018, 9:17 AM

The biggest reason the Hill looked so bare last year is they made it extremely difficult to get on the Hill, even if you have a ticket. That has got to change. It was ridiculous and, frankly, dangerous.

used to bring my son to the hill when he a kid, what happe

Jan 27, 2018, 9:37 PM

what happened to being able to do that? In the 80's it was a fun place for high school and kids and students and others. And the hill was full and don't remember any major incidents. One time an old security guard got hurt when they tore done the goal post and he got in the way. Other than that it was a great tradition and somebody messed it up.

Why is this such a problem?

Jan 28, 2018, 12:22 AM

Back in the Dark Ages (late 1970s), seniors picked up tix on Tuesday, juniors on Wednesday, and so on. Obviously seniors got the best student tix and if you missed your appointed day you just got a ticket in the next seating area. If a group wanted to sit together, I believe one rep could take 6 "activity cards" and get their seats together. Bigger groups required a little more co-ordination but come-on.....college kids will figure it out.

Some of the best times we had at Clemson were game days when as many folks as possible somehow managed to get tix together or close enough we could swap around and make it work. Everyone went to the games, even the students who didn't give a crap about football (and yes, there were quite a few). We had so much fun it was the best free ticket in town and who wanted to give that up?

And since those were the years when football started to come into it's own, it was easy to get excited about every game.

Aren't they making this too difficult?

My view: Tickets should always be "free" for students. For all on-campus events. Given all the TV revenue and post-season game revenue football has generated in just the past 3 years, it's hard to believe that charging students to attend games is even a discussion. If managed well, those "free" tickets (nothing is actually "free") would pay off in spades in donations to the university, academic and athletic.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic