Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Okay, attached is that kid's resume from 3Time.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 714

Okay, attached is that kid's resume from 3Time.

May 8, 2013, 6:26 PM

The black out just has his name, city & zip (no actual address, just city & zip), phone, & e-mail.

I've told her to just R&R w/ no review and to tell the kid to take it to a career counselor...because that is one awful resume.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Please tell me CPR is an engineering certification and

May 8, 2013, 6:33 PM

not what CPR means to the rest of the world.

No, no, no this is a bad resume. 3TT should write "LOL" with big red letters and return it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

I'm going to go with Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation...yea.***

May 8, 2013, 6:36 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's a good certification to have if he is applying for an

May 8, 2013, 6:43 PM

internship as a lifeguard.

The worst part is there is no organization to the resume, as in some of the text lines up with headings while other parts of the text is bullet pointed. Although I gotta give him credit, he can sure as ###### maximize the experience at Discount Tire into 6 freaking bullet points!

Oh and do people really still put objectives on a resume? What's the point unless you need something to fill space?

To answer the original question, there is no way I would pass that along to anyone who knew me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Yea, she wanted to spend some time to help him, I said

May 8, 2013, 6:45 PM

it's not even worth it. It's better for that kid to start over from scratch.

My complex engineering job is shortened to 3 bullet points, lol, I'm shocked he had 6.

What's the point of having the objective if you have a cover letter? What's the point of a freaking cover letter?

The 2nd Discount Tire bullet point is a bit of a head

May 8, 2013, 6:50 PM

scratcher...did he copy/paste that from a classified ad?

My guess would be yes.

corporate website would be my guess***

May 8, 2013, 7:31 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I found it, I found it!!!!

May 8, 2013, 8:28 PM [ in reply to The 2nd Discount Tire bullet point is a bit of a head ]

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/careerStore.dos

From my years teaching and searching for plagiarists :)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And, a lot more of the resume is c&p'd from that site too...

May 8, 2013, 8:32 PM

ruh-roh shaggy

So, he's efficient.

May 8, 2013, 8:38 PM

give the kid a break.

Alright. Pretend I am an idiot and explain the badness of

May 8, 2013, 7:27 PM [ in reply to Please tell me CPR is an engineering certification and ]

this resume.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

Well, you see zett

May 8, 2013, 7:32 PM

you're an idiot.

;)

It has been confirmed.

May 8, 2013, 7:39 PM

I am an idiot!! :)

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

change skool to USuC

May 8, 2013, 6:56 PM

;)

Let's see yours, smooth.***

May 8, 2013, 7:13 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i told y'all it was bad

May 8, 2013, 7:18 PM

i

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It's Baltimore, Gentlemen; the Gods will not save you."

seriously, change it to usuc. They'll understand***

May 8, 2013, 7:29 PM

It's not THAT bad.

May 8, 2013, 8:57 PM [ in reply to i told y'all it was bad ]

Ok, it's not GOOD. But I see a kid that has no real job experience and works at a tire store. It sounds like some of y'all expect him to have invented a way to print a gun on a printer by this point in his life.

Needs to update the style some. Cut back on the tire store mumbo jumbo some. Since he doesn't list his grades, I assume they are not good. If they are ok he should show that. He should expand on his extracurricular activities if possible. Is he an officer his fraternity or anything?

Again, not good but not awful. Sounds like he just hasn't done much in life so far.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

Re: It's not THAT bad.

May 8, 2013, 9:12 PM

There are several grammatical and formatting errors that severely detract from the quality of the resume.

Under his relevant skills, pretty much the 2nd and 4th bullet point are the same thing.

Should show his grades if they are more than a 2.5/4.0.

Don't included all of the classes you're taking, only go with the relevant ones. Also, is MAT Lab a class or is he lumping his the program in there?

Don't directly copy the job listing bullet points for your description of working at Discount Tire (not only that, but holy crap Discount Tire, that is a poorly written job listing).

Don't have more than 3 bullet points for a job like that.

Really didn't have another job in his whole life? Mowed lawns? Anything?

Delete the kids clubs from older than 2007.

Don't list you went to church unless if you performed community service (list what you did).

Seriously, you only have one certification/registration? If that's the only one, CPR, don't put that on your resume unless if it is at all relevant to what you're applying for.

That's all I have on it at a quick glance. I think it's pretty bad, I had a better looking resume when I was 16 years old...

Other than those points you made it's

May 8, 2013, 9:41 PM

pretty good though right? I mean, I'm assuming he spelled his name right.

Re: Other than those points you made it's

May 9, 2013, 9:27 AM

He spelled his name correctly if his name is a black box.

HTH

The grammatical and formatting issues need to be fixed

May 8, 2013, 9:54 PM [ in reply to Re: It's not THAT bad. ]

for sure. That is a HUGE issue. Just don't think he has much to put on there so he is pulling stuff out of his ###, which actually makes it worse than it is.

MauldinT, where are you???

I expect him to be able to communicate ### he does at the

May 8, 2013, 9:43 PM [ in reply to It's not THAT bad. ]

tire store. I have no problem with him working there or having little experience. But he needs to know the point of having a resume...

And he uses periods inconsistently and incorrectly....

May 8, 2013, 10:43 PM

not sure why, but that's a huge pet peeve of mine when looking at resumes. Next is mixed present and past tense when listing job duties.

Both show a lack of attention to detail IMO.

Next is repeating the same adjectives and his objective sucks.

I would like to see some references

May 8, 2013, 7:28 PM

You know, just to see if his proficiency with Outlook is legit.

Obviously he's an obed

May 8, 2013, 7:35 PM

NC A&T and Kappa Kappa Psy

Will get hired because of affirmative action. Several obeds squeaked their way through Clemson and had resumes comparable to this...one works for Boeing, others got decent jobs too.

3Time missed that train at Clemson.

May 8, 2013, 7:44 PM

And she's a girl. She should have been a CEO by now.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yes. I thumbs downed you...

May 8, 2013, 9:44 PM [ in reply to Obviously he's an obed ]

for insulting me (in case you're wondering).

Kid better hope Obama gets a 3rd term.***

May 8, 2013, 7:40 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he/she could splain why he/she was in Iceland for 3 years

May 8, 2013, 8:09 PM

and what instrument he/she played in the band - more interesting than all the tire installation.

Air Force base there. One of his parents was obviously

May 8, 2013, 8:40 PM

in USAF.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

but isn't that more interesting and resume-worthy

May 8, 2013, 8:59 PM

kid lived overseas/internationally. I figured it must have been a military background (why not note that?)...that is interesting/impressive in itself.

and a musical talent is noteworthy to expand upon, esp if a section leader in a band (how many did you lead?). Leadership qualities are a huge plus, no matter what it is concerning.

^^^I agree here, since he obviously doesn't have much

May 8, 2013, 9:04 PM

work experience he needs to hit on these other things more. Also, he's a junior in college and he has worked at Discount Tire for less than a year...am I to believe that he hasn't had any other jobs in his lifetime? If he hasn't, that's ok and he should expand on the things scooter mentions. If he has, then he should list those as well, if for nothing else to cut out some of the DT bullet points that detract rather than add to his experience.

Hving hired a few in my time.

May 8, 2013, 9:23 PM

I would give him an interview.

The purpose of an reume is to make one stand out, create interest and get to the interview.

having hired a few in my time, this resume wouldn't come

May 8, 2013, 9:41 PM

close to making the cut. The poor formatting and grammar alone would cause me to toss it.

I would hire him in a second if I was looking for someone to

May 8, 2013, 10:29 PM

write a bad resume.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's not good by any means

May 8, 2013, 11:22 PM

but I have seen much worse. I had a guy hand me a piece of notebook paper with 2 paragraphs penciled on it, no punctuation, just a rambling sentence. I tried to help the guy by putting on a computer and making some bullet points out of it, but needless to say it sucked. This one is serviceable with some help. I'd hate to look back at my first resume although I wouldn't have grammatical or formatting errors.

Back to the choices, A or B. If you care then, give him pointers. If you don't then toss it. You NEVER want to pass along a crap resume. It is pointless b/c he is not likely to get the job, and it makes you look bad for endorsing it. Passing along a resume is an endorsement.

Replies: 36
| visibility 714
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic