Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It's kind of sad from my thread below that Raymond
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 4,173

It's kind of sad from my thread below that Raymond

Apr 7, 2016, 5:15 PM

Priester gets hardly any respect. He's our career rushing leader and played on average teams with average offensive lines.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Priester was a good back, but he gained a lot of yards on

Apr 7, 2016, 5:29 PM

HORRIBLE teams...He isn't in the Top 5 of RBs that played at Clemson, regardless of his stats...He is the Ed Scott of RBs

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just curious who your top 5 would be if the leading rusher

Apr 7, 2016, 6:41 PM

in school history wouldn't be in there...

I'm not saying he's the GOAT but he'd easily be in the top 5, regardless of how many "bad" teams he played against.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What??? Please name 5 who are better.

Apr 7, 2016, 9:47 PM [ in reply to Priester was a good back, but he gained a lot of yards on ]

Also, how many great Clemson RBs didn't rack up yards against horrible teams?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

In no order, I would put CJ, Terry Allen, Terrance Flagler,

Apr 8, 2016, 12:04 AM

Kenny Flowers, Wayne, Ronald Williams and JD ahead of Raymond

Don't forget

Apr 8, 2016, 12:14 AM

Kevin Mack

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In no order, I would put CJ, Terry Allen, Terrance Flagler,

Apr 8, 2016, 12:32 AM [ in reply to In no order, I would put CJ, Terry Allen, Terrance Flagler, ]

Agree 100%. Great list. Not to take anything away from Priester of course, but all those guys were just better.

agree 100%, meant no disrespect to Raymond***

Apr 8, 2016, 12:49 AM

So the #1 all time rushing leader at Clemson is

Apr 8, 2016, 8:36 AM [ in reply to In no order, I would put CJ, Terry Allen, Terrance Flagler, ]

in your opinion somewhere around the 8th all time best rusher at Clemson? All those guys were obviously very good, but getting 1,300+ yards over a span of 12 games, two years in a row cannot be overlooked. Especially considering the team was just awful. Wayne has had 1 really good year, so I'm not ready to elevate him just yet. I'll give you CJ because rushing stats don't capture everything he did for the team. I really liked JD, but he's not above Priester. Terry Allen, maybe...he's the only one with a higher yards/game than Priester. Statistically Kenny Flowers had 1 good season and he was more than 1,000 yards behind Priester. Flagler had over 1,000 yards his last season but before that his previous season high was 350. Meanwhile Priester had 343, 1322, 1345, and 956. Ronald Williams never had more than 1,000 yards, in fact (in order) he went 941 (11 games), 585 (6), and 298 (8), I'm not sure how you can put him ahead of Priester and I'd put Andre Ellington ahead of Williams.

It's splitting hairs ranking these guys because it's a really good list, but I think you have to put the #1 all time school rusher at 2 or 3 at worst.

(all stats were from sports-reference.com)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: So the #1 all time rushing leader at Clemson is

Apr 8, 2016, 9:31 AM

Kenny Flowers split playing time with Flagler, Steve Griffin and Stacy Driver plus Kevin Mack at fullback. Just sayin'.

I'm aware, but that's not an argument for putting him or any

Apr 8, 2016, 9:47 AM

of them ahead of Priester. Just sayin'.

why not? Why is the argument tied to production instead of

Apr 8, 2016, 3:06 PM

ability? If any of those other backs had played on mediocre teams and got all the carries, they would have produced just as much if not more

Maybe because actual production trumps perceived ability...

Apr 8, 2016, 11:01 PM

...pretty much, I don't know, about 100% of the time? You know, historical facts versus "what coulda been"? Just spit-balling.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

I didn't say perceived ability...I wasn't basing it off of

Apr 9, 2016, 12:21 AM

potential, but actual ability, just not as many reps as Raymond

Apr 8, 2016, 9:31 AM [ in reply to So the #1 all time rushing leader at Clemson is ]

Kenny Flowers split playing time with Flagler, Steve Griffin and Stacy Driver plus Kevin Mack at fullback. Just sayin'.

Apr 8, 2016, 9:48 AM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=19266087&

Stats are only a small part of being a good RB

Apr 8, 2016, 3:49 PM [ in reply to So the #1 all time rushing leader at Clemson is ]

You absolutely have to look at who each player played against, who they shared a backfield with, and how many carries they got.

Priester has the rushing record, but his 805 carries were 52 more than any other running back in school history. 12 Clemson RBs since 1970 have had at least 2000 yards rushing, and 6 of them (Davis, Spiller, Ellington, Austin, Allen, and Flagler) had more yards per carry than Priester, and a 7th (Flowers) matched him. The difference is, Spiller, Ellington and Davis all overlapped at Clemson, and so did Austin, Flagler, and Flowers. Terry Allen also was in a backfield filled with talent, so none of those guys racked up massive amounts of carries. Priester, on the other hand, didn't split carries after his freshman season.

As for Ronald Williams, his 2nd year he rushed for 581 yards in 5 games and then tore a ligament in his knee. His JR year he clashed with the coaching staff a bunch and decided to leave Clemson after that season and try his luck in the pros. Mark him down as more squandered talent under Ken Hatfield.

None of this is to say that Priester wasn't a good RB

Apr 8, 2016, 3:52 PM

He was extremely good and I loved watching him play, but Clemson has been consistently blessed with RB talent since at least the '80s, and many had their numbers suffer because they were sharing the backfield with so many other great ball carriers.

Re: Stats are only a small part of being a good RB

Apr 8, 2016, 10:28 PM [ in reply to Stats are only a small part of being a good RB ]

TU to you PT! That's some pretty serious research on past players.

Thanks!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Fred Cone***

Apr 8, 2016, 11:52 PM [ in reply to In no order, I would put CJ, Terry Allen, Terrance Flagler, ]

Partner, Priester was on horrible teams himself. He had to

Apr 7, 2016, 10:07 PM [ in reply to Priester was a good back, but he gained a lot of yards on ]

break a tackle most every time he ran just to get to the line of scrimmage......

The horrible teams I was referring to WERE his***

Apr 7, 2016, 11:59 PM

So, he's our career rushing leader but played on...

Apr 8, 2016, 10:41 PM

...horrible teams? By your logic, his stats were nothing short of Herculean. I have the confuse.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

he got a ton of carries on some fairly unimaginative

Apr 9, 2016, 12:27 AM

offenses...He's our leading rusher because he has more carries than anyone else

So, despite playing in a "fairly unimaginative" offense...

Apr 9, 2016, 12:54 AM

...he's our all-time leading rusher? Just imagine what could have been.

I have posted before that I always refer to him as

Apr 7, 2016, 5:32 PM

Mr Priester, out of respect. It started in this game. We were sitting on the metal add-on bleachers at UVA (way before they spruced the place up), and the weather deteriorated from a nice day to blowing snow by the time we left. We were limping along with no passing game. But the Hoos could not stop the run. And our Tigers could indeed stop Tiki Barber. Surrounded by UVA fans, every time we stoned Tiki, I yelled out "Tiki WHO?", which confused the Wahoo fans at first, till they realized what was happening. My brother-in-law, a UVA fan, never went to a game with me again. Scott Stadium has always brought out the obnoxious in me.

That game was one of many that Mr Priester was not to be denied. For him to be the career rushing leader with no long break-away runs is unbelievable.

http://articles.dailypress.com/1996-11-10/sports/9611100013_1_cavs-clemson-coach-tommy-west-tim-sherman/2

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your post underrates his OL worse than anyone is underrating

Apr 7, 2016, 5:51 PM

Raymond Priester.

His Offensive lines were actually very good. It was mediocre coaching and a vanilla system with mediocre QB play that kept us from being much better on O.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's kind of sad from my thread below that Raymond

Apr 7, 2016, 10:49 PM

In my response below, I meant no disrespect for Mr. Preister. I simply gave my opinion that TA was better. Remember that TA went pro early so he didn't play as long as Preisrer. Preisrer was , in fact, a great running back.

Re: It's kind of sad That you started a new thread about

Apr 8, 2016, 8:58 AM

your old thread!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's kind of sad from my thread below that Raymond

Apr 9, 2016, 5:17 AM

Probably has to do with TA having had a solid NFL career, and having played on better teams at CU. Both were all-time greats..

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 29
| visibility 4,173
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic