Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It's hard to be excited about the new AD when he made a questionable hire in the sport our fanbase values the most
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

It's hard to be excited about the new AD when he made a questionable hire in the sport our fanbase values the most

Oct 29, 2012, 3:22 PM

Paul Johnson will have limited success at GT. He cannot recruit elite athletes to his system, although one could argue GT has never been able to recruit at an elite level. His GT team rarely wins when opposing teams have more than 1 week to prepare; he still hasn't won a bowl game there. Would be be comfortable with a program with that kind of a ceiling at Clemson? They will never win the national championship as long as PJ is the coach. Sure, we might not have much a shot most years, but at least there is a slim chance. GT has absolutely no chance under PJ. To me, that was a "loser's mentality" hire. I suppose it could be argued that GT fans are OK with that type of success (I don't buy that) or that GT is severely limited for other reasons as a program (academics? monetary support?). As a fan, that would be hard for me to stomach.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's hard to be excited about the new AD when he made a questionable hire in the sport our fanbase values the most

Oct 29, 2012, 3:28 PM

Paul Johnson was considered a great hire at the time. Really, how many times do we have to go over this...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's hard to be excited about the new AD when he made a questionable hire in the sport our fanbase values the most

Oct 29, 2012, 4:03 PM

Anyone who thought that was a good hire probably thinks Tim Tebow has a chance to be a NFL QB.

That system is not sustainable in major college football anymore. It works on lesser opponents and at the service academies where the players are more disciplined than people they play.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 29, 2012, 4:18 PM

I seem to recall that O of Ga Tech kicking our butts more often than not.. Seems to do pretty well IMO

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That clearly has more to do with our deficiecies, as opposed

Oct 29, 2012, 4:44 PM

to GT's sufficiencies. Teams with better coaching, talent, or both handled them easily.

I seem to recall many who had the foresight at the time to

Oct 29, 2012, 4:13 PM [ in reply to Re: It's hard to be excited about the new AD when he made a questionable hire in the sport our fanbase values the most ]

recognize that his system would only work at lower tier schools where there will always be a significant talent gap. There were many people who theorized he would do well with Channel Gailey's recruits but then not be able to retain that level of recruiting. It would seem those people were correct and I believe that it didn't really take a lot of foresight to forsee these things coming to fruition.

We don't have to worry, we have Dabo for a good while.***

Oct 29, 2012, 3:28 PM

Oct 29, 2012, 3:29 PM

That is hilarious. Paul Johnson was "the next big thing" much like tommy was when we hired him. Things sometimes just don't work out. But to say it was a bad hire is just ludicrous

Oct 29, 2012, 3:33 PM

I totally agree. A ridiculous statement.

I completely disagree, please see my post above.

Oct 29, 2012, 4:39 PM [ in reply to Re: It's hard to be excited about the new AD when he made a questionable hire in the sport our fanbase values the most ]

I seem to recall many on this website among others who had theorized that Paul Johnson's system was not a good fit for a major D1 program like Georgia Tech's. Recognizing that his offense has particular limitations as it relates to recruiting did not require a particularly large amount of foresight in my eyes.

Comparing him to Tommy Bowden just seems like comparing Apples to Oranges to me. Tommy Bowden came from an elite, easily-identifiable coaching pedigree, ran a progressive style of offense (at the time) and had an undefeated season at a D1 program on his resume. The only thing comparable about the two is that they were both hot names at the time they were hired.

TLDR: Paul Johnson's lack of success at GT was much easier to foresee than Tommy Bowden's at Clemson.

paul johnson was a good hire. Hard for anyone to recruit

Oct 29, 2012, 3:33 PM

there because of their requirements

Re: paul johnson was a good hire. Hard for anyone to recruit

Oct 29, 2012, 3:36 PM

Yes GT acually requires football players to be able to spell "cat". And actually score something on their SAT test. Otherwise GT would join the SEC. :)

Re: paul johnson was a good hire. Hard for anyone to recruit

Oct 29, 2012, 3:54 PM

I guess the new AD at Clemson will be right at home then. Last time I looked, our football team was doing pretty well in the classroom .... and no AF/AM major either!

Ga Tech was in the SEC ... and left to be an independent.

Oct 29, 2012, 4:15 PM [ in reply to Re: paul johnson was a good hire. Hard for anyone to recruit ]

But, that's ancient history ...

I personally don't think that Ga Tech is all that handicapped by academics when it comes to recrutiting.

Under Chan Gailey, Ga Tech was recruiting really well, they just weren't winning.

Their 2007 recruiting class was stacked! Paul Johnson got to benefit from the high level of quality that class brought in as he began his tenure with the Jackets.

Since that time, their offensive scheme has made it extremely hard to attract top offensive talent and it is beginning to show.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it's not just their requirements......

Oct 29, 2012, 3:56 PM [ in reply to paul johnson was a good hire. Hard for anyone to recruit ]

had we hired paul johnson in '08 we would be where GT is in recruiting rankings as opposed to 10-15 every year.

no sammy, no nuk, no tajh, no ford, no peake, no bryant

we would have a bunch of HS athletes that accept a clemson scholarship b/c they are the only big name school that offered.

Bingo

Oct 29, 2012, 4:01 PM

No 5-star recruit wants to go play in a triple-option system where they won't get the experience necessary to transfer their skills into the NFL, plain and simple.

His system doesn't require 5-star recruits.***

Oct 29, 2012, 4:22 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

true, but it does take more than h.s. athletes.

Oct 29, 2012, 4:28 PM

defenses are now, for the most part, to fast sideline to sideline for that system to be effective on a very consistent basis. give a team time to prepare, and it can be stopped consistently. teams that play gt every year are now starting to stop it, along with teams that have multiple weeks to prepare.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that explains why navy was so awful***

Oct 29, 2012, 4:54 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The AD is a part of the Tiger nation and if you don't

Oct 29, 2012, 4:21 PM

support the AD then you're a coot!

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic