Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Etienne vs. Spiller
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

Etienne vs. Spiller

Sep 24, 2017, 9:15 AM

I have become a big Clemson fan since my son started school in 2012. I'm curious, how does Etienne compare to C.J. Spiller. Does he closely compare? Does he have a chance to as good or better than Spiller?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Haven't seen enough Etienne yet, but i think Spiller

Sep 24, 2017, 9:18 AM

had more wiggle, but Etienne hits the hole much, much faster. Spiller definitely had a tendency to dance in the backfield whereas Etienne just looks like he's blasted out of a cannon from the time he gets the hand off - which i love. Spiller had freakish acceleration, and so far it looks like Etienne is pretty darn close in that department. I think Spiller was still slightly faster, but not too much so.

That's because CJ never had a hole to run through.***

Sep 24, 2017, 9:28 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's because CJ never had a hole to run through.***

Sep 24, 2017, 9:37 AM

Actually disagree. Clemson had their best OL since the present day during this period. We had the Fry Guys - Roman Fry and Dustin Fry, along with the truly massive Nathan Bennett - inside, and we had the aircraft-carrier-sized Barry Richardson at left tackle. Except for Richardson, who played five years in the NFL, those guys were all right around the same caliber player as Jay Guillermo, All-ACC types who spent time in NFL camps. It was really the only good OL Tommy Bowden ever had.

Yep, 05 and 06 OL were good.***

Sep 24, 2017, 9:54 AM

This might be blasphemy on my part but

Sep 24, 2017, 9:20 AM

I actually think Etienne will end up being better, if not better already. CJ was a guy that you always had to get out in space so he could use his speed and moves one on one vs defenders. Think Reggie Bush. He was never a great between the tackles runner and was kind of boom or bust as far as yardage in games.

Travis on the other hand has shown to be both great inside and outside the tackles so far and has similar speed and escapability. Only time will tell but he's got a great shot to be a legend around here if he keeps playing like he has.

Re: This might be blasphemy on my part but

Sep 24, 2017, 9:27 AM

> I actually think Etienne will end up being better, if
> not better already. CJ was a guy that you always had
> to get out in space so he could use his speed and
> moves one on one vs defenders. Think Reggie Bush. He
> was never a great between the tackles runner and was
> kind of boom or bust as far as yardage in games.
>
> Travis on the other hand has shown to be both great
> inside and outside the tackles so far and has similar
> speed and escapability. Only time will tell but he's
> got a great shot to be a legend around here if he
> keeps playing like he has.

Was writing my own post saying the very same thing.

Sep 24, 2017, 9:29 AM [ in reply to This might be blasphemy on my part but ]

I agree. While it's hard to be better than CJ as an all purpose player I think Etienne is a better "pure running back" based on what I've seen so far. Very excited about this young man's future. Give him an offseason in the weight room and he will be an absolute freak.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 24, 2017, 9:53 AM

Etienne (although smaller than JD ) sort of has a mix of James Davis's power run game and CJ's breakaway speed .
It's actually a rare combo to have both ...like a young Tony Dorsett .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Sep 24, 2017, 9:55 AM [ in reply to This might be blasphemy on my part but ]

CJ made his own space. Ask those two ga tech guys that tried to tackle him

totally agree

Sep 24, 2017, 10:04 AM [ in reply to This might be blasphemy on my part but ]

very good assessment.

Agreed 100%. From what I've seen

Sep 24, 2017, 11:59 AM [ in reply to This might be blasphemy on my part but ]

In limited action this kid is going to be very special. Sky is the limit.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Etienne is as good as Spiller, Flowers, Allen

Sep 24, 2017, 9:23 AM

or any other back that we have had with similar skill set and frame. Time will tell.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Etienne vs. Spiller

Sep 24, 2017, 9:25 AM

Sorry to the purists - and this will offend people - but Etienne is better, at least as a RB. Spiller was also a great receiver out of the backfield and a returner.

Spiller still is probably the single most-electric player to ever don a Clemson uniform - in the open field. He got a step in space and he was gone, and the moves he could put on people had to be seen to be disbelieved. He was also the most lethal punt returner we ever had...teams literally would not kick to him anymore because he seemingly housed every other punt that came to him.

Watch what he does on a simple screen pass against GT here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFIT-3gcAR8

That said, Spiller was a pure edge/space guy, and he wasn't a great pure running back because his ability to read the block, put his foot in the ground, and slash up between the tackles was limited. (Andre Ellington, who succeeded him, was a lot better in this department.) Spiller was sort of a RB/WR hybrid and return man, and a guy who was instant juice for any team. But he was also complemented beautifully for most of his career by James Davis, who did the dirty work and pounded defenses for him. By the time Spiller took the field, it was almost unfair.

Etienne looks like a better pure RB, and he's probably every bit as electric or very close. For sure I've never seen anyone who accelerates to and through the hole as fast as Etienne does, and when he puts in in fifth gear it looks like the Roadrunner getting chased by Wile E. Coyote.

Does he catch as well out of the backfield? Dunno. Haven't seen it yet.

Is he the return man Spiller was? Doubtful. Never seen anybody that good before or since.

Sep 24, 2017, 9:31 AM

You read my mind;)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 24, 2017, 9:54 AM [ in reply to Re: Etienne vs. Spiller ]

Seems like CJ was much more of a kickoff return phenom than a punt returner.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In the return dept, he had a good blocker that was as fast

Sep 24, 2017, 1:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Etienne vs. Spiller ]

and faster in Jacoby Ford leading the way. My favorite play was the return he had against Maryland where he was stuffed, lost his shoe, broke free and took it for a TD. Jacoby had basically quit on the play thinking it was probably over, but as soon as CJ squirt free he put it in another gear I think only he had. That was a really good return duo.

I don't think it's a problem to say he wasn't the best RB we've ever had, but I would say he was the best offensive weapon we've ever had. Rushing, receiving, KOR, and punt return. Etienne may be as good or better as a running back but as a threat from anywhere on the field, time will tell. I believe CJ really was a once in a lifetime type player

Sep 24, 2017, 9:26 AM

As much as I love CJ, Etienne is able to do what he couldn't. CJ had trouble finding holes or getting through them. He was almost uncatchable once he hit the second level. Etienne just needs a tiny piece of daylight for a hole and hits it at full speed. I honestly think he will be better than CJ, Sammy, or Jacoby. But keep in mind, to be fair, our O line is much better now than what those guys had in front of them. But I cannot remember another back that hits the holes at full speed like Etienne does. He is just unreal. Go Tigers!

He doesn't so far.

Sep 24, 2017, 9:27 AM

Maybe it's a little difficult to see right now but CJ had much less blocking than we have today. He never had a QB who could torture a defense with his legs and arm, he never had a receiving crew around him near as good as what we have now and he never had a defense which could get off the field so quickly and wear an opponent's defense down and frankly, CJ's coaching crew wouldn't make a pimple on this coaching crew's buttocks.

People would kick out of bounds rather than kick to Spiller and that was often the smart move. I love ETN and I'm delighted to have him and have no intent on disrespecting anything about the boy but CJ Spiller was and is the best all round player to ever play college football, imo.

That's not to say that ETN won't break a few of CJ's records though. Our present team and the condition of our program is entirely different now. It may be so different it is without measure.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

EDIT:

Sep 24, 2017, 9:36 AM

ETN appears to be stronger than CJ. I can't remember many people laying hands on CJ after he saw the goal line.

Sep 24, 2017, 9:28 AM

I think ETN is a better RB but spiller could do it all.
Haven't seen enough from ETN , as the Coaches are gradually trusting him.
CJ was the center point of the Offense from day 1

Sep 24, 2017, 9:29 AM

See for yourself. Etienne is more a combo of Ellington with his vision and tackle breaking ability and the CJ with his overall top end speed and acceleration.

CJ was better than anyone at stopping on a dime and going from 0-60 instantly

https://youtu.be/MooMhKt-wKw

It's hard to argue that ET...

Sep 24, 2017, 9:43 AM

has a ways to go to be called the best after watching that Montage...

Here's t hoping he does it!

Go Tigers!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No one will be more delighted to see ETN surpass CJ than...

Sep 24, 2017, 9:48 AM

CJ and me but I'll have to see it to believe it.

Sep 24, 2017, 1:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Etienne vs. Spiller ]

Thanks for that. Goose bumps remembering CJ.

ETN has a great chance to be a better running back.

Sep 24, 2017, 9:30 AM

He sheds tackles with power and hits the hole will speed.

Message was edited by: NorthwestPurple®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CJ will always be one of the ""BEST"" -- I had forgotten

Sep 24, 2017, 9:50 AM

all the different ""uniform combos"" we had back in those days !!!! ""Purple Passion"" ___ I'm happy with the standard "business suits"" & ""ALL ORANGE"" combos of late**

E-T-N will make his own name / place in Clemson Football History,along side CJ and all the others great running backs**

Also I just want to point out

Sep 24, 2017, 9:36 AM

What makes Spiller a big name around Clemson is not only what he done on the field but what he's done outside of it and being extremely loyal as a Clemson alumnus. Easily one of my favorite Tigers of all time only behind Tajh and Woody.

Sep 24, 2017, 9:42 AM

Spiller was definitely faster according to their 40 times. Spiller could escape contact.... very agile and quick.

ETN is very fast (just not spiller ...or even Feaster fast according to 40 times) ETN will actually initiate contact. He may not be able to dance and wiggle like Spiller but he accelerates AFTER CONTACT quicker than I have seen. He is a decisive runner.

ETN has the benefit of a better oline and better offense.

Spiller had the benefit of being force fed the ball.

In terms of production it's hard to say but I believe ETN is a better fit at the position.

40 times aside, Etienne is faster than Feaster on the field

Sep 24, 2017, 10:02 AM

right now.

Sep 24, 2017, 9:48 AM

Let's see what ATM can do on kick return , am area CJ was the best in CFB at .
ATM bounces off of defenders well , and his speed is good . CJ needed a little more clearance , but once in the second level he was generally not caught.
Both of them have great acceleration to be sure .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Sep 24, 2017, 12:36 PM

No way to really compare them yet, but I never remember CJ breaking tackles like ETN does. Both accelerate instantly. ETN seems to make his own holes, or at least find them in spite of the play called. :)

Dadgum good problem to have. I love our TEAM. These are awesome times. Not sure if everyone is like what I've become, but I now expect CLEMSON to find a way to win. Even when BC tied us at 7, I didn't even flinch. I'm not sure if that's good or bad, but I do enjoy the games more and curse and throw things less.

Sep 24, 2017, 1:17 PM

It's only human nature to do so, but I'm trying my best to stop comparing players. Spiller is probably my all time favorite player, so for me it wouldn't be fair to compare anyone to him. ETN looks just as great, so I'm just going to love his success, just like with KB. If former players are the best ever, that means no one will ever measure up which leads to disappointment. I'm not longer going to say "well he's no Spiller or DW4." Just my 2 cents. Go Tigers!

ETN will go down as one of the greats, IMHO

Sep 24, 2017, 1:20 PM

He'll have to stay healthy but I told the girlfriend yesterday that I predict he'll surpass Spiller as one of the all-time greats...we'll see if crystal ball is correct.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How many plays of 50+ yds did Spiller have in his Clemson

Sep 24, 2017, 1:54 PM

career? I mean, total: running, receiving & returns.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic