Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A few random observations...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 3,515

A few random observations...

Sep 3, 2017, 9:16 AM

after most of week one of the 2017 college football season;

1 - Alabama is still pretty darn good. The rest of the SEC...eh !!! In general, the Southeastern Conference has been overrated for the last few years as they still get way too much credit for beating each other. In fairness, if you take the top one or two teams away from any Power 5 conference then the rest of that conference will look mediocre. The SEC is not infallible and they can be beat on any given Saturday by any given opponent; just like everyone else.

2 - Perhaps, just maybe, firing Charlie Strong wasn't the right move for Texas. While I think Tom Herman is a good coach, the 2017 version of Texas looked strikingly similar to the 2016 version of Texas. Fortunately, the season openers are far less remembered than what happened afterward, for better or worse.

3 - Jake Olson’s big moment. With 3 minutes left in the fourth, coach Clay Helton sent in walk-on Jake Olson for his long-snapping debut on an extra-point attempt. Clean snap, good kick and lots of well-deserved love from his teammates on the field. Jake, who is blind, has been an inspiring and beloved friend of the program dating back to when Pete Carroll first invited him to meet the Trojans in 2009. Pretty darn cool !!!

4 - When Malik Zaire left Notre Dame for Florida and Brandon Harris picked North Carolina upon leaving LSU, both aspired to quickly win starting jobs and reinvigorate their playing careers as well as their respective programs. It’s still early, but it’s hard to say those plans are paying off thus far.

5 - If the strength of the 2017 North Carolina State Wolfpack team is the defense, they're in some serious trouble. If you're South Carolina, a team that was out-gained offensively 504 to 246, you left the game yesterday with the realization that some days, it's better to be lucky than good which is the same feeling Clemson fans had after its game against the Wolfpack in 2016.

6 - Lots of worthy candidates for catch of the day, but how about the scramble by Jake Bentley and one-handed TD grab by Deebo Samuel? Not too shabby.

7 - Will Kelly Bryant's performance silence his critics? Probably not but that TD pass to Cain was a thing of beauty. Watching Bryant run the read option this season is going to be very entertaining. The kid is deceptively fast.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: A few random observations...

Sep 3, 2017, 11:38 AM

FSU is a team w talent, but their special teams play is something all their opponents will focus on. and while I hate to kick a guy when he's down, Francois hurt them in the second half. however, FAY defense looked pretty strong for most of the game.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 3, 2017, 11:55 AM

Bama is bigger and stronger than all but a very few teams.

No one has a magic wand to transform an undisciplined team as was Texas when Mack Brown left. It would have taken Strong six or seven seasons to change the culture. He needed three or four more seasons. It will take their new coach three or four years to finish the job which Charlie Strong began.

Putting Olson in the game was first class. I salute the University, the coaching staff, the players and fans and of course, Jake.

The grass is seldom greener on the other side.

Sometimes you get the bear...

Bryan Kelly's arm, legs and brain impressed me more than anything else I saw yesterday. I moved on.

Your last comment was covered in my previous statement.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please - NO!

Sep 3, 2017, 2:17 PM

Not Bryan Kelly at QB! :)

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

where did you copy this from?***

Sep 3, 2017, 11:59 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not for nothing but...

Sep 3, 2017, 12:52 PM

But I love this post.

Message was edited by: Toogie

"Our wide receiver coach has accomplished just as much as your legend."

- The man of a million handles.

Was it a good 'coma'...?***

Sep 3, 2017, 1:20 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's been a ridiculous year and a half...

Sep 3, 2017, 7:03 PM

I'd be more rested by a coma right?

"Our wide receiver coach has accomplished just as much as your legend."

- The man of a million handles.

Sep 3, 2017, 1:18 PM

The Jake Olson play was the coolest thing I saw all day yesterday. That was awesome. Winning is great and all, but those kind of things are what it's all about. If that didn't put a smile on your face then something's wrong with you.

Wolfpack defensive line was able to stop the run cold, but

Sep 3, 2017, 2:22 PM

... but, they couldn't get any pressure on Bentley and this exposed the very average group of DBs.

Also, Ryan Finley, although he ran up huge stats, was not a "money" player when he had to be. Unlike guys such as Deshaun Watson, Finley could not find the open man and make the critical throw when the game was on the line.

SCAR had no business winning that game and if they continue to have the stats doubled on them, they will lose most games down the stretch, but yesterday, they found a way to score more points ... the one stat that really counts.

Replies: 9
| visibility 3,515
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic