Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Brad Brownell has the 5th highest total compensation package
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 56
| visibility 1

Brad Brownell has the 5th highest total compensation package

Apr 3, 2019, 1:00 PM

in the ACC. That's a sweet deal he has there.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Brad Brownell has the 5th highest total compensation package

Apr 3, 2019, 1:08 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I bet jk uses the "grapefruit technique" on brownlee***

Apr 3, 2019, 1:20 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Apr 3, 2019, 1:19 PM

His average finish in the ACC is around 7.5. He made more money this year than Jim Boeheim, Steve Alford, Bruce Pearl, and Will Wade. To say he's not getting the "support" he needs is laughable.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, two of those four coaches are under NCAA

Apr 3, 2019, 1:22 PM

investigation for cheating, and another was fired halfway through the season.

And I have serious doubts that Syracuse reports the full extent of Boeheim's total compensation.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Well, two of those four coaches are under NCAA

Apr 3, 2019, 1:29 PM

They are technically private.

Bruce Pearl probably has a low contract because his market

Apr 3, 2019, 1:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Brad Brownell has the 5th highest total compensation package ]

value was severely damaged by the show cause and the trouble he got into at Tennessee. Only a handful of unscrupulous schools (and Auburn is certainly one of those) would even touch Pearl.

Will Wade might have LSU on probation here shortly so he's probably not a shining example either.

Steve Alford isn't even coaching, is he? Pretty sure he got fired by UCLA a year or so ago.

I don't know why Boeheim isn't making more.

Pearl will get paid this year...

Apr 3, 2019, 1:57 PM

Auburn should pony up and ink a multi-year $4M a year deal with him. He is worth alot just for the branding of the program. People hate Pearl but I think he's a decent guy for the most part. What happened at UT really wasn't the worst thing when you take a step back.

I dont have a problem paying Brownell that much, especially considering last years results and expectations coming into this year. Lets not forget we were preseason Top 20. It shows me the administration cares about basketball, but now the questions is just how much do they care. I tend to think not on a high level...Dabo says dream big, but DRad, I dont believe, has that same vision. If Dabo was AD, he'd write a $5M check and call the Top 15 coaches and get our guy.

Apr 3, 2019, 1:20 PM

And yet the sad thing is that his pay is nearly half of our total spending. Not a lot left for things like Assistants or Raptors

Gregg Marshall at Wichita State make $1 mill more.

The only team that is a good bargain is FSU

So, are you suggesting he pull a Dabo and forego some money

Apr 3, 2019, 1:23 PM

so he can pay his assistants?

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

Re: So, are you suggesting he pull a Dabo and forego some money

Apr 3, 2019, 1:28 PM

Dabo had the 2nd highest football budget at his disposal when he made those moves. Brownell has the 2nd lowest.

DRad is basically saying "Sorry for not supporting the program, but here is some guaranteed money and a signed football". Brad didn't even get a tailgating spot.

The second lowest budget figure us from 2016

Apr 3, 2019, 1:39 PM

I haven't seen figures on 2017 or 18. Would you happen to have them?

Nah, but he’ll be glad to make some up!***

Apr 3, 2019, 7:31 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

link?***

Apr 3, 2019, 1:42 PM [ in reply to Re: So, are you suggesting he pull a Dabo and forego some money ]

And note his buyout as of 4/1/19

Apr 3, 2019, 1:30 PM

is 5.185 million, for those saying that's not a factor

I saw that. That is crazy, if true. Why would DRAD do that

Apr 3, 2019, 1:37 PM

Nobody else wanted him.

Brad is locked in for at least another 3 years regardless of performance.

How do you know that no one else wanted him?***

Apr 3, 2019, 1:53 PM

If somebody wanted him, why would he stay at a school

Apr 3, 2019, 1:54 PM

you portray as having such God awful fan and administration support?

Maybe because he cares about Clemson and wants

Apr 3, 2019, 1:57 PM

to see the program succeed?

And because the administration finally started to provide better support 2-3 years ago with the new facility, increased budget for assistant coaches and support staff, etc.

Re: Maybe because he cares about Clemson and wants

Apr 3, 2019, 2:01 PM

So where's his plan/demands for succeeding?

Again, just because you haven't personally seen

Apr 3, 2019, 2:03 PM

his PowerPoint presentation or Word document outlining his goals and expectations for the program, you assume that he doesn't have any.

Hilarious.

And......you assume that he does

Apr 3, 2019, 2:16 PM

funny how that works, right?

oh and nice edit to your post after I responded to try to change the narrative....

Brad and DRad meet after every season

Apr 3, 2019, 2:29 PM

to discuss the season and the program in general. They talk about goals for the program. If you really think that Brad shows up to those meetings and doesn't have any goals for his performance or for the team's performance, then you really are clueless about how the profession works.

Can you prove it?

Apr 3, 2019, 2:31 PM

What's Drad going to do if brownlee shows up empty handed and ill prepared? Eat all of that terrible buyout to make a point and in the end lose his job because of it?

LOL, prove what? That Brownell has goals for the program?***

Apr 3, 2019, 2:32 PM

I'm done going down the rabbit hole with you.

Apr 3, 2019, 2:37 PM

You've proven that you'll argue either side/contradict yourself in an attempt to protect your precious.

Can't reason/have a real conversation with someone that's willing to do that...

Message was edited by: Anonymous08®

And it started out as such a mature discussion too, what a

Apr 3, 2019, 4:29 PM

shame

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/I-bet-jk-uses-the-grapefruit-technique-on-brownlee***-25279849

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He uses PowerPoint for it?***

Apr 3, 2019, 7:32 PM [ in reply to Again, just because you haven't personally seen ]

Nice edit....***

Apr 3, 2019, 2:19 PM [ in reply to Maybe because he cares about Clemson and wants ]

that's a great question... especially since according to

Apr 3, 2019, 2:24 PM [ in reply to If somebody wanted him, why would he stay at a school ]

Judge Keller® any successful coach leaves Clemson due to poor administration and fan support. He has stated that position many, many times.

He has also stated how much more successful Brownell has been than either Barnes or OP.

So, it only stands to reason, if someone wanted Brownell, he would have quickly bolted... given the poor support here and his success.

You have an amazing talent

Apr 3, 2019, 2:31 PM

of completely misrepresenting and misstating what people say.

None of what you said is accurate. Literally none of it.

just so I'm clear...

Apr 3, 2019, 2:51 PM

You are saying that you HAVE NOT said the following:

"Successful coaches leave Clemson because of poor support".

"Brownell has been more successful than Barnes and Purnell".

Here is what I believe.

Apr 3, 2019, 4:01 PM

1. Rick Barnes is the best basketball coach we have had. I have stated this multiple times.
2. Brad Brownell is the second best basketball coach we have had. I have not stated this specifically, but it is how I feel based on what I've seen watching lots of Clemson basketball over the years dating back to Cliff Ellis.
3. Oliver Purnell is a great program builder, but based on his stints at several schools, seems to reach his ceiling and can't get beyond that. He recruited players to fit his system, but was not good at making in-game adjustments. I have stated this multiple times.
4. Clemson has historically had significant issues in terms of program support. We generally do not fund basketball well, which is reflected in the salaries we historically pay and the facilities we have historically had. We also do not generally have great fan support for basketball. All of this hinders our ability to attract top coaches, get the kind of recruits we want, and have the level of success we desire. I have stated this multiple times.
5. I believe that the main reason why Barnes and Purnell left was due to Clemson's lack of basketball support, with their recruiting misses also playing a role. While I believe that their success was important for us, and we should learn from it, we should also learn from the fact that both left us without giving us a chance to keep them. I have stated this multiple times.
6. I do not feel that Brownell has been more successful than Barnes or Purnell when it comes to postseason tournament appearances, but I do feel that he has been more successful in getting much needed facility upgrades from the administration, winning ACC games, and off-the-court achievements such as team GPA, graduation rates, and general player behavior/community involvement. I have stated this multiple times.
7. I do not think Brownell is a perfect coach by any means. However, I do think he has done a lot of good for our program and I would ideally like to see what he can do with better administrative support before declaring that he isn't good enough to be our coach. That way, we can see what he is capable of with reasonable administrative support. If he excels more, great! And if not, then we will be in a much better position to hire another coach who will hopefully be successful. I have stated this multiple times.
8. The recent facility improvements and increased staff budget over the past 2-3 years are a great step in the right direction. While those improvements certainly do not put us on a level playing field with most other ACC programs, they certainly help. It is not surprising that we have won 20 games each of the past two seasons and are recruiting better over the past couple of years as well. I have stated this multiple times.

Please feel free to refer back to this post when/if you aren't sure what I believe.

It's not talent, he just lies***

Apr 3, 2019, 4:36 PM [ in reply to You have an amazing talent ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Chuck nailed it! Buyout is too much to absorb

Apr 3, 2019, 6:45 PM [ in reply to I saw that. That is crazy, if true. Why would DRAD do that ]

Unless ticket sales continue the downward spiral and I wouldn't want that for certain! I thought at the time Devoe made B.B. Look good last year and the year to come is going to be worse I fear.
We could do much worse than BB however and the longer he stays the better his recruiting should get. That is the key he needs to improve on to turn this program around and I know it isn't easy competing with the cheaters out there.
If he doesn't improve in that area over the next couple of years we will see the program struggle.
Here's hoping he achieves his recruiting goals and can keep star players healthy.

Says more about the incompetence of the Clemson AD***

Apr 3, 2019, 1:56 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Well, he did kill Georgia Tech's football program.

Apr 3, 2019, 1:58 PM

That is not a feather in his cap.

You do have to ask yourself why anyone in their right mind would give Brad Brownell a $5 million buyout after what he's done here. Nobody else wants him.

That's just bad business management.

It's amazing how

Apr 3, 2019, 2:01 PM

you assume that no other schools have been interested in Brownell, simply because you haven't heard about it.

By your logic, no one else is interested in Dabo either, since we haven't heard about any other schools asking to interview him or offer him a head coaching position since we hired him.

LOLOLOL at comparing Dabo to brownlee....***

Apr 3, 2019, 2:02 PM

LOLOL at totally missing the point.***

Apr 3, 2019, 2:04 PM

I can tell you without hesitation or reservation...

Apr 3, 2019, 2:06 PM [ in reply to It's amazing how ]

and with 100% certainty that no other college basketball programs in this country have approached Brad Brownell about leaving Clemson to become their next head coach.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

So who has been interested in hiring Brad Brownell? ***

Apr 3, 2019, 2:08 PM [ in reply to It's amazing how ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

I have no idea.

Apr 3, 2019, 2:15 PM

I don't claim to know, but I think it's ridiculous to assume that no other schools have been interested in him over the past 9 years simply because we haven't seen a news report about it. I doubt it was any major programs, but he is respected in coaching circles and will have no trouble getting a job after Clemson if he wants one. To assume that he hasn't been contacted by anyone else, especially after our Sweet 16 appearance last year, is crazy.

everything you post says, that if that had happened, BB

Apr 3, 2019, 2:25 PM

would have bolted due to the combination of poor support and his ultra-success

Re: everything you post says, that if that had happened, BB

Apr 3, 2019, 3:15 PM

Considering his compensation package and buyout, then it does sound like there was interest from other programs.

That's impossible.

Apr 3, 2019, 4:04 PM

Brad is an awful coach and recruiter who doesn't attract good players, develop them while they are here, or put them in positions to succeed. There is no way anyone would be interested in such an awful coach. The only reason he got a new contract is because our moron AD overreacted to one good season last year.

Am I doing it right?

Re: That's impossible.

Apr 3, 2019, 8:02 PM

Finally you see the light!

Re: It's amazing how

Apr 3, 2019, 3:08 PM [ in reply to It's amazing how ]

You are so right. Dabo has never been linked to any other jobs. I mean its not like people waste time trying to track flights to get a lead on such things. Of course Brownell has had lots of job offers and the media would never cover mere speculation and rumors.

Just to make sure maybe we should check google:

https://www.fitsnews.com/2013/12/15/dabo-swinney-to-texas-not-a-chance/ (2013)

https://www.si.com/college-football/2014/11/22/clemson-football-dabo-swinney-florida-coach (2014)

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/coaching-rumors-don-surprised-texas-considers-dabo-swinney/pmwFcmVaBfylAQI4YmjlDM/ (2017)

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/clemson-ad-prepared-for-alabama-to-try-to-lure-dabo-swinney-back-to-tuscaloosa/ (2018)

https://thespun.com/news/nfl-insider-names-dabo-swinney-a-candidate-for-the-browns-job (2018)

https://rubbingtherock.com/2018/12/06/clemson-football-osu-fans-believe-dabo-swinney-coach-buckeyes/ (2019)

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21476649/flight-tracking-restaurant-sightings-craziest-start-coaching-carousel-ever

Thanks for all of your research

Apr 3, 2019, 4:06 PM

but those are not evidence of legitimate interest by other schools or organizations. A columnist thinking that the Browns or Alabama might be interested in Dabo is hardly the same as someone showing serious interest in him.

For the record, I am sure others have been interested in Dabo, but those inquiries never got to the interview or offer stage because Dabo or his agent have said that he isn't interested in pursuing it. I assume the same is true with Brownell.

Re: Thanks for all of your research

Apr 3, 2019, 5:09 PM

I disagree, the original statement from Chuckston T-man was "nobody wants him" in reference to Brownell. While there is evidence Dabo has turned down an offer, all the links in the original reply are proof that fans, beat writers, and insiders want Dabo at their program. I can not say that I have seen anyone interested in hiring Brownell from Clemson, but I know people have wanted to hire Dabo, regardless of if they have had the ability to make it happen.

Said Evidence
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/dabo-swinney-profile-reveals-that-nick-saban-tried-to-hire-him-away-from-clemson-in-2007/

He gave Hewitt the awful extension as well ***

Apr 3, 2019, 2:14 PM [ in reply to Well, he did kill Georgia Tech's football program. ]

Re: He gave Hewitt the awful extension as well ***

Apr 3, 2019, 2:32 PM

Hewitt did get them to the NC game. At that point you might as well roll the dice there.

Can't fault him for that.

Apr 3, 2019, 7:25 PM [ in reply to He gave Hewitt the awful extension as well *** ]

not true. the AD before drad, dave braine, signed hewitt to that absurd extension. drad inherited it

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 3, 2019, 7:35 PM [ in reply to He gave Hewitt the awful extension as well *** ]

again, drad did not sign hewittto the extension.

Eamonn Brennan
ESPN Staff Writer
Facebook
Twitter
Facebook Messenger
Pinterest
Email
print
The reaction from Georgia Tech fans was not hard to predict. The relief, the resolved angst, the catharsis, all summed up in one tidy word:

Finally.

Paul Hewitt led Georgia Tech to five NCAA tournament appearances in 11 seasons. Joshua S. Kelly/US Presswire
That was the subject of the first comment on this post at From The Rumble Seat, a Georgia Tech fan blog, and it was no doubt the reaction most Yellow Jackets diehards had the moment they heard the news this morning. After 11 years, five NCAA tournament appearances, one NCAA runner-up finish, a massive contract extension, a 72-105 record in the ACC and a disappointing six-season stretch that saw Georgia Tech miss the postseason in four seasons, coach Paul Hewitt has officially been fired.

Yes, Georgia Tech finally decided to bite the bullet and pay the buyout necessary to send Hewitt packing. That terms of Hewitt's buyout aren't immediately available, but Hewitt is likely to receive up to $7 million from Georgia Tech in the offing.

"Hey," you might be saying, "Isn't that a lot of money to pay a coach who won't be working for you anymore?" Yes, dear reader, it is. But Georgia Tech has only itself to blame for the number. Back in the halcyon days following Georgia Tech's 2004 run to the Final Four, the school signed Hewitt to a lucrative five-year deal with a rollover provision baked in. That rollover clause meant Hewitt's contract automatically extended by one year after each passing season. It also means Hewitt always had at least six years on his contract, no matter how much time passed.

From the contract itself:

It is the intention of the Parties to create an automatic “rollover” provision so that the Term of this Agreement will always have six (6) years remaining after the automatic rollover occurs. Commencing April 15, 2005 and on April 15th of each year thereafter, the Term of this Agreement shall be automatically extended by one (1) additional year so that, on April 15th of each year, the Term of this Agreement shall be six (6) years unless the Association determines that an extension rollover not be made and notifies Hewitt of its decision in writing not less than thirty (30) days prior to April 15th in any year during the Term.

In a way, Hewitt could have been Georgia Tech men's basketball coach for life. "How long is your contract?" "Six years." "How about now?" "Yep, still six years." It's kind of crazy, but that's what former Georgia Tech athletic director Dave Braine, perhaps blinded by the Jackets' 2004 run to the national title game, agreed to in 2005.

The flip-side of this agreement gave Georgia Tech the power to fire Hewitt whenever it wanted ... provided the Yellow Jackets also agreed to pay the remainder of Hewitt's contract. In other words, if Georgia Tech wanted to get rid of its head men's basketball coach, it had to buy Hewitt out of six years and $1.3 million per. If there is a Hall of Fame for agents, Paul Hewitt's deserves immediate induction.

Rumblings about Hewitt's job security are nothing new. Many fans grew anxious in 2008 and 2009 following back-to-back losing seasons. Plenty of fans griped before, during and after last year's talented Jackets, who boasted the No. 3 overall pick in forward Derrick Favors, limped to a second-round loss in the NCAA tournament. Hewitt publicly scolded fans on Twitter last season, calling them "judgmental" and chiding them for their lack of support as Tech was on the verge of a berth to the NCAA tournament. Needless to say, Georgia Tech fans didn't appreciate the lecture.

But the vagaries of Hewitt's massive buyout always squelched those complaints. Could a state school really afford to pay its coach $7 million-plus just to go away? Could a season ever be so bad as to justify that price?

Apparently, the answer is yes. Thanks to its truly putrid offense, Georgia Tech went 13-18 this season and won a mere five conference contests. But for a few glimpses here and there, Hewitt's team was never all that competitive, even in a down ACC with plenty of beatable teams. The result was Georgia Tech's third losing season in its past four.

And so the camel's back was broken. Georgia Tech athletic director Dan Radakovich decided to bite the bullet, pay Hewitt his buyout, and open what he called an immediate national search for a replacement.

Who will that replacement be? It's way to early to say. The only recent rumblings have surrounded Minnesota coach Tubby Smith, but Smith recently told reporters he planned to finish his career in Minneapolis (and his lawyer backed it up by promising Smith would sign a contract extension this summer) so it seems unlikely the Gophers coach would consider a move to Atlanta. But Tech is a big job, a quality program in a high-profile conference, and it should draw interest from plenty of noteworthy candidates in the next few weeks.

In the meantime, Georgia Tech fans are done waiting it out. Hewitt might have been fired two years ago under normal circumstances, and that ongoing, inexorable annual question created no small amount of angst among supporters of the Yellow Jackets.

Now, Tech fans can move on. Hewitt got his buyout. A new coach -- whose contract will not include a rollover clause; you can bet on that -- will arrive soon. And, yes, Georgia Tech's basketball program looks to the future with something resembling optimism. Finally.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 3, 2019, 2:14 PM

Just to be "Better than Average."

I should have looked at the bored before I posted this just

Apr 3, 2019, 4:06 PM

now but I saw it and thought that's insane.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 3, 2019, 4:13 PM

If we had us a shoe deal that paid our players, I suspect we would do better.

Replies: 56
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic