Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mickey Plyler's Blog: A Big, Physical Football Team
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

Mickey Plyler's Blog: A Big, Physical Football Team

Aug 20, 2013, 10:15 AM

A Big, Physical Football Team

A Big, Physical Football Team
This football team looks different.

It is what my eyes tell me. It is also what I keep hearing from people who go to practice on a regular basis. This is a big, strong, physical football team.

I know Clemson fans don't want to hear this, but part of

Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope you're right, Mickey! Good article.***

Aug 20, 2013, 10:20 AM

Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: A Big, Physical Football Team

Aug 20, 2013, 10:25 AM

Good review. From the little that I get to see in the practice clips, I would agree that this team is way more physical than in previous years. I also agree that USUC has beaten us primarily because their toughness has improved such that they are dominating us.

They are a legitimate top ten team whereas our team is still trying to get there. Yeah - I know we're ranked there, but we need to beat UGA to prove we belong there. If we lose to UGA, we will NOT be a top ten team probably for the remainder of the year, even if we beat FSU. We will then have to beat USUC to climb into the top ten if that's even possible at that point.

Not so sure about that. UGA is ranked higher then us

Aug 20, 2013, 10:33 AM

While I still find that confusing considering their defense is a bunch of young inexperienced players the fact still remains that they are 5th and we are 8th. If we lose, which I don't believe that we will, and it's close I think he don't fall that far out of the top ten. i could see us landing at 11th or 12th at the absolute worst. Then when we crush everyone to FSU then take them down I can see us back in the top ten.

We can't go out and get destroyed by UGA though. That is the worse case scenario.

Big, strong,mean

Aug 20, 2013, 10:38 AM

guys are definitely the way to go ... but there has to be leadership in that group as well. I am hoping it is there and someone steps up to take Freemans place in that important area.

It seems Shatley does it for the OL and Jarett/Watson for DL***

Aug 20, 2013, 10:50 AM

^^^^spot on ^^^^

Aug 20, 2013, 10:57 AM

that's what i have seen/heard/read, too.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Destroyed by UGA"

Aug 20, 2013, 6:58 PM [ in reply to Not so sure about that. UGA is ranked higher then us ]

Ain't gonna happen. This ain't the 2008 team. They are big, mean, talented, and hungry. I'm predicting a comfortable Tiger win but if I'm wrong it will not be a blowout.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

I want everyone to know.

Aug 20, 2013, 10:36 AM

Had Dabo not produced a line on both sides of the ball I would be crying for his head. He's in the process of endearing himself to our University as did only a few in our history.

It took a full four years for him to reach this goal as was expected by those who understand you can't recruit and develop an entire line in less. I would have given him one more year if this one turned out with only partical success.

I still insist that we will be better next year than this.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed. We'll return the entire DL and msot of the OL

Aug 20, 2013, 10:51 AM

Also I'm hearing that Morris might play up to 8-9 OL most of the year so that will help with experience for the new guys when Shatley and Thomas leave.

I was attacked by...

Aug 20, 2013, 11:13 AM

an adolescent for making that statement. Seems the boy didn't know where a power game starts. Evidently, when Tajh and Sammy leave he thinks our cupboard will be bear.

Linemen were the heart and soul of a Danny Ford offensive squad. We ran over people back in the day. Someday the kids will grow up and look back on these, 'the good ole days.'

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just look at Bama. A great OL makes everything better***

Aug 20, 2013, 11:14 AM

Same with all programs including uGAY.

Aug 20, 2013, 11:28 AM

Give any fairly good QB a few seconds and a TE who can run the same route after a fake to a fairly good running back and you've got a 12 yard gain. He can roll up a ton of yards and look like a world beater in any given season.

Re: Same with all programs including uGAY.

Aug 21, 2013, 11:12 PM

Not cool man...why does GA have to be Gay? This type of thing is not tolerated on Tigernet.

####

Aug 21, 2013, 11:18 PM

;)

Re: I was attacked by...

Aug 20, 2013, 11:34 AM [ in reply to I was attacked by... ]

Is anything sweeter than having a lead in the 4th quarter with 8 minutes to go and handing the ball to a full back or TB and marching down the field 4 or 5 yards at a time and taking a knee at the 5 yard line 3 plays in a row to run out the clock! :)

And nothing is as nasty and someone doing it to us!

This article also reminds me of the bowl game...

Aug 20, 2013, 11:38 AM

against Auburn a few years ago. I think we went into overtime with them and we could not stop their running game when it counted. They just pounded the ball right down our throats on defense and we couldn't stop it for anything. We just looked gassed with no depth, and no physicality. I hope we have closed the gap because I never want to see that again.

Re: This article also reminds me of the bowl game...

Aug 21, 2013, 8:58 AM

The main reason for that was they chop-blocked our NT (whose name is on the tip of my tongue, but I can't recall it without googling it) and took out his knee early in the game. It was a very cheap, disgustingly dirty play. Oh, it was Allbarn, duh.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Re: This article also reminds me of the bowl game...

Aug 21, 2013, 11:15 PM [ in reply to This article also reminds me of the bowl game... ]

West VA was not that physical (despite what some people say about the Big East ) yet an 8-5 WVA team could have dropped 100 on us if they did not keep running into the line for last 20 minutes of game.
Big strides last year. if win 2 of 3 from SC, GA, and FL state without dropping a gimme Dabo can show real coaching progress.

Full body of work over the year will be nice to see.

Re: I was attacked by...

Aug 20, 2013, 7:28 PM [ in reply to I was attacked by... ]

You are so right. I have been preaching that for, at least, 15 or 20 years which is about how long it's been since we had a good OL. DF had great OL's, and we ran right over people. AL does that, too. Add a studly OL to this team, and we will be a force.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

After years and years of undersized lines from Bowden,

Aug 20, 2013, 10:42 AM

this is such a refreshing change. No more getting pushed around in the trenches.

It's a return to the past isn't it? We used to be physical

Aug 20, 2013, 11:02 AM

and dominating on defense and less skilled at every position on offense. And we won a lot of games that way. Now with more talent on offense than we've had in a long time (generation?) and a bigger more physical defense, things are looking up!

James Davis and CJ Spiller never had blockers.

Aug 20, 2013, 11:20 AM

It's wrong to compare today's players and their accomplishment thus far with some of the greats we have during the TB years.

JD and CJ didn't have a chance to reach their potential. Previously these skilled players haven't either.

2006 was a very good OL

Aug 20, 2013, 11:22 AM

But yes Davis and Spiller were great in spite of their OL. Hence Cj doing better in the NFl then any of the recent Bama RBs that were made great by their elite OL. Every wonder what happened to Ingram when he beat CJ for the Heisman?

I'm comparing teams, not players.....***

Aug 20, 2013, 11:24 AM [ in reply to James Davis and CJ Spiller never had blockers. ]

I apologize.

Aug 20, 2013, 11:32 AM

I'm just too sensitive. Much to much in touch with my feminine side, I recon.

Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

You really should see a doctor about that

Aug 20, 2013, 11:51 AM

low T. It can be treated effectively these days.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

I get blood transfusion from hartins, weekly.

Aug 20, 2013, 12:07 PM

He keeps all his manhos up to date with health regulations, shots and the likes.

Since our lines were so pathetic with Bowden,

Aug 20, 2013, 2:40 PM [ in reply to After years and years of undersized lines from Bowden, ]

Imagine how pathetic USuC's lines were during the same time.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

My 8-year old nephew could have written that piece******

Aug 20, 2013, 11:41 AM

You're just saying that because he used...

Aug 20, 2013, 12:16 PM

the SEC for a frame of reference. SEC this and SEC that, gets on my last nerve sometimes. I come to T-net to avoid such, as much as possible.

He's exactly right - that's why we were so dominant in......

Aug 20, 2013, 12:01 PM

the 80s because of our physical size and strength - we intimidated the other teams and could play toe-toe with anybody on our schedule.

We're getting back to that now.

I hate to see these terms used here

Aug 20, 2013, 12:30 PM

Using terms like "sec defensive end" or "sec power" plays right into the propaganda, and here it is right here on our own website!

Agree. +1.***

Aug 20, 2013, 12:34 PM

I don't like these terms either! Like...

Aug 20, 2013, 1:17 PM [ in reply to I hate to see these terms used here ]

Someone makes a good tackle and the announcer says, "Wow, that was an SEC hit!" Makes me sick. But then, who cares if I get sick?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's the truth. "SEC speed" was a stupid myth conjured

Aug 20, 2013, 1:30 PM [ in reply to I hate to see these terms used here ]

up by Jessie Palmer because, in truth, teams all over the country have speed. What most teams all over the country haven't had, and the SEC has had loads of, is huge, physical freaks playing on defense, particularly DL.

Re: It's the truth. "SEC speed" was a stupid myth conjured

Aug 20, 2013, 2:04 PM

you really can't argue with that. skilled talent is spread more or less evenly all over the country. every high school d-lineman knows though that the sec is the premiere conference for defensive tackles and ends. that's the reality. however, i think we need to focus less on recruiting media darling 4 and 5 star players and more on recruiting big, strong, intelligent, coachable players.

Re: I hate to see these terms used here

Aug 20, 2013, 5:51 PM [ in reply to I hate to see these terms used here ]

I hate the terms too.... I would love for the ACC to be the standard in football.... but it ain't! Our Dlines have often been pushed around by big OLs from the Big12 Big10 and the SEC. I hope that trend ends this year! We will see in 12 days!
We have had speed when Bowden was here... we did not have size and speed. Alabama and LSU and Florida have size and speed. We beat LSU, we will know in a few days if we can start a new trend. UGa return 5 starters on the OL, we will see if our DL can hold that line and push the pocket.

Aug 20, 2013, 1:15 PM

Prove it on the field baby!!!

Aug 20, 2013, 7:20 PM

I don't know who would not want to see a bigger, stronger, tougher, more physical team, and especially along the lines of scrimmage. Combine that with the speed we run our offense (and remember, our defense has to be in that same shape to compete with our offense in practice, and we should be a force to reckon with. I can't wait!

You need to add quck, fast or speed.

Aug 21, 2013, 9:41 PM

There are plenty of big strong physical lineman. go ask the big ten how that works without speed.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

Re: You need to add quck, fast or speed.

Aug 21, 2013, 11:19 PM

2004- 30-0 pounding by GA. 2008 30-10 not so close #### pounding by 6-6 bama team from year before.

Home and neutral site....lets see a care less who playing and confident destruction of GA and see what happens rest of year.

Just glad the #1 recruit not getting first touch of year b/c promised as happened 2003-2008.

Lets go Tigers.

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic