Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Why Not Brent?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

New Story: Why Not Brent?

Jan 28, 2014, 5:06 PM

Why Not Brent?

Defensive coordinator Brent Venables has changed Clemson's defense for the better, but when head coaching jobs open up across college football, his name is rarely mentioned. That's a shame for Venables, who has fashioned an outstanding career. However, it's good for Clemson. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If it came down to keeping Morris or Venables, I would

Jan 28, 2014, 5:29 PM

rather keep Venables!

Me too, because we'd still have Jeff Scott***

Jan 28, 2014, 5:30 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: If it came down to keeping Morris or Venables, I would

Jan 28, 2014, 6:43 PM [ in reply to If it came down to keeping Morris or Venables, I would ]

Without a little piece of doubt in my mind, I would 1000 times rather lose Morris than Brent Venables. If we can stop teams from scoring a ton of points. We could win double digit games with Rob the bubble Spence. Actually I believe that Jeff Scott could manage enough points with our offense to win with BV as DC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Careful, 2010 ring any bells?***

Jan 29, 2014, 8:06 AM

It's obvious he gives 100%, and he is such a humble guy too.***

Jan 28, 2014, 5:44 PM

Be Careful What You Guys Advertise, TNet Writers ----

Jan 28, 2014, 5:47 PM

Sure one day Morris and Venables may take other jobs.
But no way has Clemson built the sustainable, consistent,
standard legacy that we and the staff would like to
have and hang our hats on just yet.

Continuity is very important nowadays in coaching staffs
and player relationships. When you are trying to build
something and you are on that right track of doing so,
you don't just give away your main pieces so quickly.

So if you want to change or advertise our valued coaches
away, go ahead and tell us how it feels when
Clemson is facing even more/worse mediocre seasons. Try
explaining to the fans why you would advertise your
key components far too early when there is SO MUCH WORK
still to be done.

If the coaches choose to leave prematurely then thats
another thing. Maybe its me, but if I was trying to
finish perfecting a masterpiece and I'm making progress
in doing so, I would hate to be taken off of it. It
would haunt my conscience knowing I left something
unfinished for selfish gain or more money.

But if I'm truly focused none of these so-called push
temtations would or should bother me if I love where I'm
at and love what I'm trying to accomplish at a program.
So I'll guess time will tell where and how long Clemson
is in the heart of our coaches....without the added push
to leave us.

Re: Be Careful What You Guys Advertise, TNet Writers ----

Jan 28, 2014, 7:08 PM

I think Clemson should make sure Morris and Venables are paid well enough that they only leave for an HC job.... I expect Venables to leave sooner than Morris. I do think that both of them want to be part of a National Championship team... I think Venables has done that but not as the DC.

Jan 28, 2014, 7:33 PM [ in reply to Be Careful What You Guys Advertise, TNet Writers ---- ]

Well I think it has been clear that no part of the T-Net staff cares more for Clemson, than they do for something to write about. That is why they will take one whole story, and clip it into 3 or 4 days. Bringing the readers back daily, keeps their daily numbers up to show advertisers. If they did care about Clemson, they wouldn't allow as many coots talking all negative crap about Clemson while pretending to be a real Tiger. If we can pick them out after a couple of post, they can also. Its all about the member numbers when selling space for advertisement. You don't have to donate to be a member. Donating members mean no more than the total number of the complete picture. The big picture is sell sell sell advertisement on T-Net. The more Tigers and coots improve the big picture numbers that creates more money. The only thing Clemson means to this site is the name Clemson. Its a tool to bring the Clemson fan base to the advertising world as long as they write about Clemson sports. The coots are an addition to the advertising numbers.

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

Jan 29, 2014, 9:52 AM

The only reason I logged in was to respond to this very unfair and wrong post.
I don't believe for a minute that David Hood doesn't care about Clemson and I do believe that you are sorely mistaken.
I don't know David and have never met him but his love for Clemson just oozes from his writing and I can't believe anyone that reads his articles could ever believe he cares more about what he writes than he does Clemson University.
Shame on you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, people on this site complain too much and take things

Jan 28, 2014, 8:11 PM [ in reply to Be Careful What You Guys Advertise, TNet Writers ---- ]

for granted. Anyone who know anything, should be grateful for what our program has to offer right now.

As if ADs nation wide read & value T-Net for HC choices!***

Jan 29, 2014, 11:40 AM [ in reply to Be Careful What You Guys Advertise, TNet Writers ---- ]

Brent "WINABLES"***

Jan 28, 2014, 5:47 PM

why is it assumed that great defensive or

Jan 28, 2014, 6:06 PM

offensive coordinators automatically must be moved to head coach and will be great head coaches?

History is riddled with examples of this.

One example is I remember a few years back Guthrie(?) was a UNC basketball assistant for thirty years and was the obvious next guy for head coach. He lasted one year.

Re: why is it assumed that great defensive or

Jan 28, 2014, 7:20 PM

Just look up north to VT, perfect example of someone who may be happy as a coordinator vs a head coaching roll somewhere. Bud Foster has been pretty much the only consistent thing there for 20 years.

Well said...

Jan 28, 2014, 6:18 PM

I have preached this notion to the heavens all year. While I hope the best for Coach Venables in the future, I wouldn't mind seeing him here for a long time to come

We as Clemson fans can quietly respect the job Venables

Jan 28, 2014, 7:09 PM

has done. I think after next season you will hear his name mentioned for Head Coaching jobs. Morris came on like gangbusters and scored a lot of points and made a name for himself quickly. Venable on the other hand has had to rebuild the defensive side of the ball. I think we have a top 3 defense next year and the suitors will come calling. I love the staff Dabo has assembled and the longer they stay together the better it is for Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hopefully

Jan 28, 2014, 7:21 PM

we'll be like Florida State was a few years back where their DC was content to stay in that position forever. Is there a rule that you have to keep trying to move up? Perhaps he sees that a HC has to put up with a lot of media and other "politics" and BV is very content to do what he does best....and the money is not too bad.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We as Clemson fans can quietly respect the job Venables

Jan 28, 2014, 7:35 PM [ in reply to We as Clemson fans can quietly respect the job Venables ]

No doubt.

Not everyone wants to be a head coach!***

Jan 28, 2014, 6:19 PM

Re: Not everyone wants to be a head coach!***

Jan 28, 2014, 7:45 PM

I think coach V does. His Alma Mater;Kansas State, will probably be calling in the future. I don't know how much longer coach Snyder will stay. I couldn't be happier for coach V, but I will sure hate to see him go. The attitude of the defensive players is the best I've seen in many years. I truly hope he's found a home in Clemson. That being said, I also hope coach Chad and the entire staff has too.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll conclude this by saying ....

Jan 28, 2014, 7:37 PM

thanks Coach for bringing defensive respectability and soon to be defensive dominance back to The Tigers!

Re: New Story: Why Not Brent?

Jan 28, 2014, 7:49 PM

I have rather seen a story about how much Brent is like Bud Foster, one of the best DCs in the business, who has been at Va Tech for 19 -20 years!

AMIKIE...

Jan 28, 2014, 8:00 PM

We can only hope Coach V will stay with us that long!

THANKS BRENT. WE DO LOVE YOU AS A TIGER. ;)***

Jan 28, 2014, 8:14 PM

Re: THANKS BRENT. WE DO LOVE YOU AS A TIGER. ;)***

Jan 28, 2014, 10:17 PM

Yes I do. I admire what he has done to improve our Steele defense that he took over. And in a short time, he has made remarkable improvement IMHO. Thanks Brent Venables, I think I can speak for Tiger Nation as a whole. We are ### glad you came to Clemson and has made a Clemson that has been proud in the past of our strong defenses we had fielded for years, but was very weak when you got here. Thanks for the quick turn around you are bringing back to our Clemson defense. I have total faith that with very good recruiting, BV will bring back the Clemson D of the past, FEARED!!! With our opponents Mothers saying on live TV, they are killing him, they can't get any protection against that Clemson defense.

Thanks Coach V!

Jan 28, 2014, 8:22 PM

"Go watch film.”

Love it!

He's my favorite,

Jan 28, 2014, 8:33 PM

What he has done in 2 years is awesome. I like his personality and demeanor as well.

Hope we have him for a long time, but would be a fan of wherever he might go as a head coach someday.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Too many big plays, usuc, Fsu?***

Jan 28, 2014, 10:14 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UGA and OSU had a few

Jan 28, 2014, 10:49 PM

Unfortunately for those two teams the Clemson D had their share of big plays too.

As concisely as possible, starting DB's have been below avg

Jan 28, 2014, 11:23 PM

DL and LB's have really stepped up under BV, and he deserves his share of credit for the improvement.

Once D backfield is sorted out through better recruiting, BV will receive additional recognition and interest. Good recruiting certainly results in good coaching.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

? Coach Venables

Jan 29, 2014, 9:37 AM

This guy won me over as soon as his " Glad to be a Tiger" presser upon being hired. He has that edge that you see in the good Defensive coaches and his intensity is rubbing off on his players. Did you see Shuey in the O-bowl ? You could see that Venables has these guys playing with increased abandon and intensity. It will only get better from here with the system firmly entrenched and Venables recruiting guys he knows fit that best . Our defensive stats speak for themselves. Hard for me to fathom any drop off this fall ...if anything our defense will be even better. Our front 7 ( V's group specialty) is going to be as good as wr have seen since the 88-92' era , and if the depth gets developed this spring the Dawgs better expect to start again with another loss. Our QB will be better than theirs , Gurley will get his yards but I bet Coach V makes them super one dimensional by halftime. Love the hire Dabo made in this guy . Huge fan !
Go Tigers !

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

2 cents

Jan 29, 2014, 10:07 AM

for the most part, I think Swinney has put a good staff in place. BUT...I do think it needs alil' more tweaking.

but not a lot to complain about. Just saying, to win the
BIG GAMES, and to get to the next level. May need to make
a couple moves.

Brent..doing a good job.

Why Not Dabo? Nobody tried to steal him either.

Jan 29, 2014, 12:54 PM

When big head-coaching jobs come available, we always hear leaks about potential candidates-- one of whom almost always gets the job. And we've heard of Morris being considered and/or interviewed, so it's not like there's a unique cone-of-silence over Clemson. But we've never heard of anybody wanting our previously-very-affordable, ACC-champion, multiple-10-win season head coach or Venables for better HC openings.

I think many Clemson fans just have an unrealistically high opinions of Clemson's coaches and players. I remember many Tommy Bowden fans claiming that Tommy was so great, and in such high demand that he deserved a big buyout. They made all kinds of excuses about why we never heard Tommy's name mentioned as a candidate for better HC jobs (until Tommy used his Arkansas AD friend to bluff Clemson-- even though the newspapers reported that Arkansas never really considered hiring Bowden according to their BOT chairman). But Tommy is still unemployed despite saying (the week that he was fired) that he wanted to keep coaching. Similarly people thought Spence, Napier, & Steele were great but they never went on to hold D1 coordinator positions. Many Clemson fans thought Cullen Harper, CJ Spiller, Tajh Boyd, et al would be Heisman finalists, if not Heisman winners.

I think the checkered records and reputations for Dabo and Venables have kept them from serious consideration for better jobs-- though that could change if their resumes improve. For example, Venables defenses at OU generally declined after Mike Stoops left as co-DC, and Venables' defenses at Clemson have been decent, not stellar (though the player-talent has been an issue). Dabo's three "10-win" seasons came only after Morris joined and occurred during the 3 weakest-Sagarin-ranked seasons in ACC history, he's lost 5-straight to his comparably-talented (though slightly less talented) in-state rival, he's 2-7 vs. teams that finished in the AP Top 25, he presided over Clemson's 1st losing season in decades (despite having more player talent than most of his opponents), he took 2 record-setting, national-disgrace butt-whuppings from WVU & FSU, and it appears that Clemson will play 2nd-fiddle to FSU for the foreseeable future. Dabo's and Venables' checkered records just aren't what many programs (especially top tier programs) are looking for in a head coach. That's why it was so foolish for D-Rad to grant Dabo such a big, lopsided buyout.

What makes you think nobody has tried to steal Dabo?***

Jan 29, 2014, 1:32 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Read the 1st paragraph of my post. Got evidence otherwise?***

Jan 29, 2014, 1:39 PM

You're being obstinate.

Jan 29, 2014, 2:26 PM

If Dabo were contacted and flattly refused to consider a coaching job elsewhere do you think they'd 'leak,' that information?

You made the statement that Dabo isn't being consider for other jobs, now back it up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're being silly.

Jan 30, 2014, 12:50 AM

Of course the AD of the suitor school doesn't leak the information. Leaks come from investigative reporters who check inside sources, underlings, travel records, school--owned-airplane flight-plans (which are public record), BoT members, etc. Apparently you don't read college football news much, because if you did, you'd know that such leaks are reported for practically every major head coaching or coordinator opening, year after year-- and one those rumored candidates always ends up getting the jobs. Is it really your contention that Dabos suitors, and only Dabo's suitors, are immune from such leaks? C'mon. Be realistic.

Oh... and let me guess... Dabo turned down those more lucrative, more prestigious head-coaching jobs at Texas, USC, & Florida, etc. because he's just a Clemson man through and through. Heck, he refused to even take the phone calls, right? Don't be silly.

I remember people making your same silly excuses to me about why Tommy Bowden's name never came up for better HC jobs and how he was in high demand and therefore he warranted a big buyout. All of Tommy's suitors were supposedly strangely immune from leaks and investigative reporting. But 6 years later, Tommy is still unemployed even though he said (the week that he left Clemson) that he wanted to coach again. I was right about Tommy too.

It's a good thing I wore my boots.

Jan 30, 2014, 11:27 AM

Coaches contact schools if they are interested. If the Universities don't have the applicants they seek they contact the coaches they want to talk to. If the coach flatly turns down the invitation to apply by refusing to submit a resume the schools do not 'leak,' the information, ever.

Name one school that has admitted that a coach refused to be listed as a possible hire.

I never said a thing about Tejus, ND and the other jobs you mentioned. That's a straw man argument. You created it out of emotional distress.

You should have worn your reading glasses and thinking cap.

Jan 30, 2014, 3:11 PM

I explained that the leaks come from investigative reporting but you keep pretending that the only way that such candidate-search information can get out is if the suitor school or coach makes an official announcement or a deliberate leak.

Don't you remember when people were tracking the publicly available flight plans for Clemson's airplane (#N91CT) during Clemson's HC search? Haven't you ever seen examples of such investigative reporting? If not, you obviously aren't knowledgeable enough to discuss the topic.

Here's one example from the recent USC head coaching search.
http://tracking.si.com/2013/12/01/chris-petersen-no-longer-candidate-for-usc-job/

Here's one example from the recent Texas head coaching search.
http://www.ibtimes.com/texas-longhorns-coaching-candidates-briles-franklin-strong-top-choices-replace-mack-brown-1525112

If you search, you can find hundreds of other such articles over the last few years based on investigative reporting-- except regarding Dabo as a candidate.

BV is a fine coach but that's not the end of this story.

Jan 29, 2014, 1:31 PM

Just as The Chad, he happend along about the time Dabo's recruiting started to take effect. There's no sense in blaming our previous coach but THAT WAS TOMMY'S DOWNFALL!

I'm not saying our OC and DC don't deserve credit for running Dabo's style of football, I'll give them both their earned praise.

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic