Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
And there we go. I knew it was coming
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

And there we go. I knew it was coming

Dec 7, 2019, 10:14 AM

Kirk suggests that Georgia could still get in with a close loss.

Pathetic

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Again, it's a farce, that anyone or any group can actually

Dec 7, 2019, 10:18 AM

determine which teams are "the best" (Herbie's argument is that Georgia is one of the 4 best and even with a close loss should be in). THAT is THE problem with the current playoff.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Smiling Tiger

Dec 7, 2019, 11:55 AM

Smiling Tiger® You must establish some criteria for getting in. If the "eye test" is all you go by then anyone who wins more than they lose who had a stronger perceived strength of schedule - always wins out!

The SEC would get 3 teams in the argument every year and the rest of the conferences would fight for the other spot. Heck, then the Herbstreits of the world would still argue Auburn deserves to be in as well or Florida or whoever the 4th best SEC team is. Because of the "gauntlet" they face and still come out with a winning record.

Well, Herbstreit would only do that in years where Ohio State has no shot.

Most deserving?
Or best eye test?

Eye Test criteria must be spelled out and explained for all to see if that's the case.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe you misunterstood me.

Dec 7, 2019, 1:26 PM

I oppose all subjective methods of determining who gets in and who doesn't. The criteria should be: Conference champions automatically in; don't win your conference, you have been eliminated. My point is, it should be determined entirely on the field, and rankings and every other subjective criteria should be totally banished. We have to decide whether we want actual games to mean something where winning/losing is the ultimate, unquestionable verdict, or whether we want to continue a beauty contest in which the "winners" are largely determined by judges (CFP Committee). My contention is that judges get it wrong, over and over, on an extrodinarily consistent basis (that much is an indisputibale fact). I understand that under the current setup with 5 major conferences, a legitimate 8-team minimum playoff is problematic, but we need to admit that it is terminally and fundamentally flawed, quit pretending everything is okay, and start moving in the right direction of a legitimate playoff. I know it won't be easy and there are serious hurdles and objections, but it absolutely can, and I feel must be done.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

So we can have five teams that don't deserve to be there

Dec 7, 2019, 1:34 PM

and the days of having to be elite to win a national championship can end.

The committee has gotten it right every year except maybe one (don't think Alabama deserved to be in, even if they ended up winning it, in '17).

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You have absolutely no idea if they got it right.

Dec 7, 2019, 1:51 PM

You have an opinion - that's it. That's all they have. The facts actually indicate they probably got it wrong. Here's what we do know (facts): Last season, the CFP had Alabama ranked ahead of Clemson in their final ranking. That was wrong, as Clemson went on to pound Alabama. In the 2017 final rankings, they had Clemson 1st and Alabama 4th; that was wrong. If they are wrong about who is 1st and who is 2nd, 3rd and 4th, they could very, very easily be wrong about who is 4th and 5th. In fact, it stands to reason that they probably are wrong. They are wrong time and time agian when it comes to predicting who is better than who by means of a ranking.

- H. L. Mencken

They played 1 less game and had more time to heal & prepare

Dec 7, 2019, 1:54 PM [ in reply to So we can have five teams that don't deserve to be there ]

No way they should have been in.

Them winning it all only “validated” the “remarkable foresight & incredible wisdom” of the committee.

I agree with Smiling - the subjectivity of it all has gotten completely out of control.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Right. The original idea of the CFP was to get away from

Dec 7, 2019, 1:58 PM

subjectivity/eye test and have objective criteria. Yet here we are, moving away from those criteria and talking about eye test, resume and SOS, all of which are almost totally subjective.

- H. L. Mencken

SmilingT, to expound further on your argument against subjectivity...

Dec 7, 2019, 1:40 PM [ in reply to Maybe you misunterstood me. ]

As long as it is a four team playoff, the primary criteria should be conference champion. Just let the committee decide which one gets left out. This eliminates most of the subjectivity!

For those who say,"Oh no...we could have a three or four loss conference champion getting in!", that team would be bypassed by the other four anyway! But just in case of the possibility of two multiple loss conference champs, I would make the following exception:

A non conference champ could only make the playoff, IF they have less losses than the conference champ they would replace.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not perfect maybe, but that would be a huge improvement.

Dec 7, 2019, 1:54 PM

There are only two reasons I can think of that are preventing doing it the right way: Simple resistance to radical change, and those who have a vested interest in the current system.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: Again, it's a farce, that anyone or any group can actually

Dec 7, 2019, 2:22 PM [ in reply to Again, it's a farce, that anyone or any group can actually ]

The only problem with the system I see is that winning your conference outright should be a requirement to qualify for the playoff.

Re: And there we go. I knew it was coming

Dec 7, 2019, 10:19 AM

I want Georgia to get in. They suck.

Dec 7, 2019, 10:22 AM

Not an ice cubes chance hail. No two loss team will make it. Ever. I guess by his standard, Oregon is still in it too?

Dec 7, 2019, 10:24 AM

Herbstreit has always seemed to be a Georgia homer. Not sure I understand that since he went to OSU.
Maybe his wife went to Ga. He wanted them in bad last year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2019, 10:27 AM

His wife went to OHio State (She was a Cheerleader).

pigs In cheerleader uniform?

Dec 7, 2019, 12:09 PM

or it didn’t happen...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He keeps lobbying for UGA to get in with 2 losses, so why didn't he send his twins to Georgia if they are sp great. I like him, but I am getting tired of his UGA bs.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yeah. I thought it was completely ridiculous last year

Dec 7, 2019, 10:29 AM

When he wanted to move Geórgia up to 3 after losing. Can’t believe he’s doing it again

Yeah that was bad. Two losses, one of them to South Carolina at Home

And no Conference Championship either. That was dumb.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was absurd to suggest that last year

Dec 7, 2019, 10:58 AM

And all based on the premise that last years bama team was the best team in the history of college football which was a farce, but I think there’s a legit argument this year because after LSU, OSU, and Clemson, I’m not sure there’s any difference between teams 4-8. I think UGA is better than OK or Baylor. After last night, I’d likely make an argument that Oregon could be the 4th best team.

His point is that if you’re going 4 best teams, UGA could still be #4 even with a loss and I can see that this year just because outside of 1-3 there’s not much difference from 4-8.

Dec 7, 2019, 11:00 AM

Herbie loves him some UGA, it's a bit odd. Sorry, but that SC loss is DISQUALIFYING

Re: And Pollock this morning said

Dec 7, 2019, 11:28 AM

if Ga were so good then they shouldnt have lost to the coots

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: And Pollock this morning said

Dec 7, 2019, 11:43 AM

And just as We thought , Long segment on Bama and Tua that are finished and not playing today
Than the segment on Clemson who is playing today , they cant hide

Corso was cute saying Virginia could sneak up on us and the 28 point spread like that
has any bearing on the game

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree maybe if their 2nd loss would have been to UF or

Dec 7, 2019, 11:59 AM

Auburn, but when it’s to a 4-8 team, no way.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Agree maybe if their 2nd loss would have been to UF or

Dec 7, 2019, 12:05 PM

josephg® said:

Auburn, but when it’s to a 4-8 team, no way.

Agreed. The year Clemson got the #1 seed after losing to Syracuse everyone else lost too! So, you hit the reset button and go - who are the best of the 1 loss teams.
Georgia having lost to a 4-8 team "at home nevertheless" is a different thing because other teams 1 loss was to much better teams! If there were 3 more spots available then yeah, they get in. Georgia is one of the best teams in the country. But, just like back in the day, you couldn't afford any mis-steps. This year b/c you have 3 teams with perfect records - and a bunch of 1 loss teams like them with much "better losses" they lose out. Had it been Auburn or Florida as you said - no question - they get in. If Baylor were to beat Oklahoma - they should be in. They would have only lost to a top 10 program that was top 4 majority of the season.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what a moron no way a two loss non conference champ

Dec 7, 2019, 12:24 PM

gets in over a one loss big 12 champ.

He's been nut riding UGA the last two yrs trying to get them in the playoffs

Dec 7, 2019, 1:43 PM

Maybe he should've sent his twin boys there instead of Clemson..

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It won't be close. *

Dec 7, 2019, 2:00 PM

!

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic