Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Your thoughts on this please
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Your thoughts on this please

Jun 20, 2019, 2:23 PM

IF Danny Ford was a young assistant coach today at a big time school what are his chances at being hired to head a major program? Danny was a super coach at Clemson and was developing a winning program when everything went south for the Tigers. I was a BIG fan of coach Ford, as many of you were, and was sorry to see him leave Clemson. The game has changed considerably since the eightys and a lot more talent is out there to choose from. It would be very interesting to me to see how he could do today in a game that has changed dramatically. What coach Ford did in 1981 is certainly comparable to what Dabo has done more recently. Nebraska was a big time opponent in 1981 just as Bama is now.

There’s only one Dabo however and I suspect that there is no other out there who can match him.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Everything has to fall into place perfectly ...

Jun 20, 2019, 2:30 PM

What if Venables had decided to stay at Oklahoma ?

What if Elliott or Scott didn't want to share OC duties and one left ?

Too many variables to consider.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Everything has to fall into place perfectly ...

Jun 20, 2019, 2:32 PM

What does that have to do with Fords coaching ability ????

Re: Everything has to fall into place perfectly ...

Jun 20, 2019, 2:45 PM

" What coach Ford did in 1981 is certainly comparable to what Dabo has done more recently. "

I think when you made this comparison, it opened the door for some extended discussion. Just saying.

Maybe avoid comparing Ford to Dabo to prevent that.

Re: Your thoughts on this please

Jun 20, 2019, 2:33 PM

IMO Danny was always a strong recruiter---I think he'd do just fine in that department. Where I think Danny may struggle in today's environment was how he deals with administration.

As far as scheme and game planning are concerned, coaches evolve with the game. I don't think Danny would have any problem with today's offensive/defensive schemes.

Just my $0.02 worth.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Re: Your thoughts on this please

Jun 20, 2019, 2:41 PM

Good answer and I agree. He was a good x and o coach! I would like to see him lead a team with the talent that the Tigers have available to them today. Better than Saban or Myers I bet. Even Muschamps!

Danny would have no problem with our current Administration***

Jun 20, 2019, 2:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Your thoughts on this please ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Danny would have no problem with our current Administration***

Jun 20, 2019, 2:58 PM

You may well be right. But "political correctness" was never Danny's strong suit. Just sayin', in today's world where one poorly phrased thought can lead to public outrage....

Screw Calford.

It wasn't coach Ford who had a problem, it was Lennon

Jun 20, 2019, 3:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Your thoughts on this please ]

and a couple of BOT. He had no problems getting along with previous admin. But, when he felt he had to stand his ground in the late 80s, he did. He had major clout because of the success of the program and he may have felt a little too strong because of that, but he wasn't hard to get along with until he was backed in a corner.

He was a master recruiter, motivator, and judge of coaching talent, and he instantly lit up a room when he walked in because he was just one of those people. He would do fine now if he was the age he was then. He thrived in the environment he was part of. Clemson was the perfect storm for him and I believe his heart was never really in being at Arkansas, thus the lackluster results.

Besides, coach Howard loved him, and that's good enough for me. He was a great coach.

Re: It wasn't coach Ford who had a problem, it was Lennon

Jun 20, 2019, 3:25 PM

Glad to distribute a TU for that post.

Re: It wasn't coach Ford who had a problem, it was Lennon

Jun 20, 2019, 4:51 PM [ in reply to It wasn't coach Ford who had a problem, it was Lennon ]

I had the good fortune to get to know Coach Ford during and after his tenure as CU's head football coach. First time I met him was in his office at Jervey. A spittoon on his side of his desk, and one beside my chair. When I asked him about it, he told me that the spittoon on my side was for Coach Howard. I expect they spent many hours sitting, talking shop, chewing Red Man or Levi Garrett and therefore, spitting.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic