Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It was obvious our defense wasn't prepared - no pass rush...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

It was obvious our defense wasn't prepared - no pass rush...

Nov 24, 2018, 11:26 PM

and the pass coverage was totally confused. Now, we know our D is better than they showed tonight.

For whatever reason(s), our D wasn't ready. I blame our coaches but am confident Dabo will correct this problem before the ACC title game.

Let's think of it as a blessing in disguise so we'll know what needs to be corrected.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It was obvious our defense wasn't prepared - no pass rush...

Nov 24, 2018, 11:43 PM

Our "blessing" was disguised pretty well. It seemed onvious that our offense would have scored as many points as necessary, but the secondary looked like TAMU sequel. If we gotta score 50, we score 50 ! Seriously, the big breakdowns with guys running free are going to derail us if not fixed. Disappointed that things did not look drastically different after a chance to adjust at halftime. Oh well - great win, and the offense looked unstoppable !

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

when we don't get instant pressure secondary gets exposed***

Nov 25, 2018, 12:07 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hopefully Dabo will shore up secondary

Nov 24, 2018, 11:47 PM

problems like he did our sometimes questionable rushing D we had that year Pitt beat us. After that game seemed no one could run up the middle on us.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

#### Todd Ellis said their OL would manhandle our DL and hey did

Nov 24, 2018, 11:57 PM

Wish I could say otherwise

Only 90 yards rushing says Todd was wrong.

Nov 25, 2018, 12:09 AM

We won by 21 points because the only way SCAR could get into,the end zone was via the long ball.

Credit Bentley for his best game ever, but it’s hard to say the SCAR OL did all that much.

We stopped them when we needed to and won in a rout.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: #### Todd Ellis said their OL would manhandle our DL and hey did

Nov 25, 2018, 1:18 AM [ in reply to #### Todd Ellis said their OL would manhandle our DL and hey did ]

Statistically their OL had a poor game.

They usually give up 1.5 sacks but tonight gave up 3. They only gained 90 yards on the ground.

But our safetys repeatedly got burned in one-on-one coverage, TEs were uncovered down the seam (again on the safety), CBs missed tackles and loose coverage, and LBs were slow to drop into coverage when they ran play-fakes, even though their run game was ineffective.

Basically our pass coverage has gotten spoiled only having to cover receivers for 3 seconds.

Wallace was frozen looking into the backfield on Deebo's 75-yard TD. He stood still and watched him run by, as though he expected an underneath curl route.

Pitt is a poor passing team this year, so the secondary should get 2-3 weeks to work out the kinks; unless Narduzzi (?) finds a lethal gimmick like the TE shovel pass that killed us 2 years ago.

Also their OC pulled some stuff that caught us flat and unprepared. I imagine Mus had a hand in it, too, since he knows us better than McClendon does.

Nov 25, 2018, 1:34 AM

We play Pitt next week

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He means Pitt is a non-factor; 2-3 weeks to prep for playoff***

Nov 25, 2018, 1:16 PM

also, they gameplanned to offset our pass rush with quick

Nov 25, 2018, 1:13 PM [ in reply to Re: #### Todd Ellis said their OL would manhandle our DL and hey did ]

Outs and funky sets. I don’t think they over powered us. He threw away passes or was off the mark under pressuremany Times.

My 3 sack Frosty will taste so good.

Nov 25, 2018, 1:22 AM [ in reply to #### Todd Ellis said their OL would manhandle our DL and hey did ]

Helps when you can grab a handful of jersey as they blow by and “hold” them up just long enough to let 5head get rid of it. Saw RB and numerous OL, still gotta cover but it was ridiculous

Nov 25, 2018, 12:04 AM

Just reminding everyone that a few weeks ago Bama gave up 31 points to Arkansas...

That does not count ... Arkansas is an SEC powerhouse.

Nov 25, 2018, 1:50 PM

And being tied with Citadel at the half last week was strictly because of that blasted "unfathomable" triple option attack run by those 1-star athletes.

Neither situation means anything because ... well, Alabama.

Nov 25, 2018, 1:53 AM

No candy coating...to quote venables our D was pathetic...I hate those bastages w a passion, but 5head played lights out, and their OL in pass pro and their skill, plus their GamePlan was the best we’ve seen so far. Too bad Deebo and likely Edwards are gone as well as their best O lineman...thank God there defense sucked and I hope boom continues to teach them to tackle the football and not the player

Nov 25, 2018, 1:37 PM

The challenge is that Muschamp shared precisely their offensive game plan for Clemson early in the week and we apparently did think much of it. Being egotistical because we are real good is not a good place to be. I'll admit our D was very disappointing, fully agree with BV's post game appraisal. However, I still struggle with the #1 defensive line in CFB not able to pressure the Coots virtually all game and then our secondary coverage was either non-existent or very poor. The preseason assessment had our secondary being the #1 concern. Apparently it still is. However, we've got great players in the secondary. Maybe depth as problem. Maybe it's just me, but SC receivers just seemed faster than our defenders. Also, in setting for each play, our players are always looking and waiting for signals from the sideline, which tends to be very slow coming in and against a "hurry-up" offensive scheme, that's not good.

I do admit that I have complained all season that our offense is too slow is getting plays in and off. We have seemed confused all season. And last night, I felt a lot of improvement in getting plays in and playing our version of hurry-up. However, in spite of the huge rushing yards last night, our running plays are clumsy, obvious and slow. It has been all season and last night was still the case. And in spite of this, we must have great players overcoming these obvious shortcomings.

I feel Dabo's pain, in that both an alum and Tiger, I struggle with expecting perfection. And so does Dabo. Sometimes, he just needs to let up. He kept chewing in CW for the celebration penalty, and kept chewing and chewing, and finally CW just kind'a pushed Dabo off, like enough, I got the message. And everyone on national TV got a full dose of it to.

At one point, I'm not sure what was going on with Dabo. They kept the camera on him, with no commentator comments, when Dabo was kneeling, with his head bowed, and making repeated yawns with his mouth and it was at a stressful poor performance by the defense. This viewing lasted for several seconds, which was odd.

I'm hopeful our injuries were minimal, and that we are healthy for the ACC Championship game. It's sad how poorly Pitt looked against Miami and falling out of the top 25. And yet they will play Clemson next weekend like their life depends on it.

^ Perfect assessment..& Coots played like their lives depended on it..

Nov 25, 2018, 1:48 PM

and it did, and showed but to no real avail due to 21 point loss.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Perfect assessment" is a stretch. "Pessimistic" is better

Nov 25, 2018, 1:54 PM

... since we have had a much worse performance against a much worse opponentsin in a year when we played for and won the National Championship.

To me, getting too down on the team about last night is a bit silly given what we've seen in the recent past.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic