Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
RIP, Sailor.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1

RIP, Sailor.

Feb 18, 2019, 12:56 PM

The 95-yr old sailor in this iconic photo died today. RIP.

https://www.snopes.com/ap/2019/02/18/sailor-in-iconic-v-j-day-times-square-kiss-photo-dies-at-95/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re: man, what if the #MeToo was around then....

Feb 18, 2019, 1:19 PM

Imagine a girl getting grabbed, kissed, and not knowing the guy today. Uniform/War/etc.. wouldn't stop the assault case to follow.

I won't be surprised if the triggered don't leap out of the bushes to throw some shade on this. Already see comments that the lady was Gloria Allred's first client.

RIP to the greatest generation

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was a different time for sure.

Feb 18, 2019, 1:31 PM

Wonder if Joe21® has any V-J Day stories?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re: It was a different time for sure.

Feb 18, 2019, 3:23 PM

I was in France on VJ Day and there were no young ladies to hug but there was even greater joy. We were awaiting orders to join the forces in the Far East. Those orders were cancelled immediately. There is no way to adequately describe the feelings all of us felt that day. We "whooped" and hollered and acted like little kids. And after we settled down we gathered together and while holding hands, we had a prayer.

I had already been in service for three years and knew going home was not yet in our plans. Unless there was an unforeseen accident, we knew that when we did go home, we would be walking unaided off the ship. At last, the long war was over and our prayer was that there would be no more. But then came Korea.

Message was edited by: Joe21®

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He would be villified, spat upon, locked up, and sued.***

Feb 18, 2019, 2:28 PM [ in reply to Re: man, what if the #MeToo was around then.... ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Bet JOE21 has a story or two, but

Feb 18, 2019, 3:02 PM

he’s a Clemson Gentleman & won’t tell. LoL

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic