Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Older (50+) lunge denizens....question....for you....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 49
| visibility 1

Older (50+) lunge denizens....question....for you....

Nov 27, 2018, 1:08 PM

I was but a middle schooler in the heyday of the mid-1980s. I know all the materialistic pressures I felt just being in 6th grade in that particular era....it was RUFF.

So what was it like going bar hopping during the pinnacle of the Miami Vice yuppie era? Did you wear a lot of pastels? Did you spend a lot of time getting your hair feathered *just right* before going out? How long did your braided loafers last before they got too smelly to wear? Did you feel the unspoken judgement in the parking lot if you didn't pull up in a Bimmer or a Porsche?

What got you pumped up for the evening when you were getting ready to go get lucky---Glenn Frey? Huey Lewis?

Please, I'd like to know these things.....let me into your world for a few minutes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not quite 40 yet, and can't/won't answer most of this,

Nov 27, 2018, 1:11 PM

but Huey Lewis STILL gets me pumped

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm not quite 40 yet, and can't/won't answer most of this,

Nov 27, 2018, 1:12 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzN3qO-qc8U

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

never actually seen that movie...

Nov 27, 2018, 1:20 PM

is there more Huey Lewis than just that little bit?

No, that's pretty much the only Huey Lewis reference.

Nov 27, 2018, 1:22 PM

There's a similar Phil Collins scene though.

UNSUBSCRIBE***

Nov 27, 2018, 1:27 PM

WHOAH! SPOILER ALERT!***

Nov 27, 2018, 1:38 PM [ in reply to No, that's pretty much the only Huey Lewis reference. ]

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Phil Collins was on an episode of Miami Vice

Nov 27, 2018, 2:18 PM [ in reply to No, that's pretty much the only Huey Lewis reference. ]

as was Ted Nugent
Gene Simmons
Glen Frey
Willie Nelson
Frank Zappa
and others

highlights of the one w/Nuge in it (he is a drug dealer, fights w/Crockett over a chick and gets shot at the end):
https://youtu.be/JWnBBf4JQeE

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yes, "Phil the Shill". He drove a white Lamborghini Jalpa

Nov 27, 2018, 6:47 PM

That's right....I just admitted it. I love Miami Vice.

It also gave Bruce Willis and Chris Rock their starts.***

Nov 27, 2018, 6:47 PM [ in reply to Phil Collins was on an episode of Miami Vice ]

Well, at least tag

Nov 27, 2018, 1:18 PM

them

henry®

celtic_tiger®

PGTiger

metiger

bengaline

wilbur82®

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Weren't, at least, a couple of those guys retired by then?***

Nov 27, 2018, 1:21 PM

Ouch.

Nov 27, 2018, 1:56 PM

And thanks for not putting me on the list. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I bet that really funny in a humorless kind of way.***

Nov 28, 2018, 10:03 AM [ in reply to Weren't, at least, a couple of those guys retired by then?*** ]

Being on the low end of that number

Nov 27, 2018, 1:24 PM

and spending a fair percentage in my younger 20's either in Clemson, unemployed, or just working when I felt like I had to, I don't remember much about all that stuff. It must not have mattered, at least I don't remember it mattering. I sporadically had a few motorcycles and went to the beach and out on friends boats a lot so none of that other stuff seemed to matter much.

I remember being broke a lot and not caring, but wishing I had enough money to have more stuff. About 26 or so I finally figured out sleeping on someone's couch for a couple hundred a month probably wasn't the best way to start out. After that it seems all I did was work way too much from about 27 until..I dunno..about 3 years ago.

I do remember, in comparison, that not having cell phones nor the Internets was probably a lot better than now. Just checking out for a few days at a time and no one would know (or really care) where were you were wasn't a big deal, because there wasn't a good method of keeping up with anyone to the minute like there is now.

Whale, since you asked. I remember the big hair on the

Nov 27, 2018, 1:40 PM

wimmen and listening to Duran Duran, U2, Queen, Bon Jovi and yes Michael Jackson.

Most of the 80's for me were spent in Barnwell (unfortunately) so unless we took off to Augusta it was a kinda local redneck bar, Harry's on the Waterfront". Still played a lot of golf, drank a lot of beer and worked long hours at Milliken.

Don't think I answered your qwerstion, but it is wat it is....

FYT

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Was there a resident alligator to feed at Harry's

Nov 28, 2018, 7:35 AM

Back then?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

I think he lived in the pond on #7 back then.***

Nov 28, 2018, 8:33 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Miami Vice was a small subsection of that era

Nov 27, 2018, 1:51 PM

I think that was more of a high society bigcity-dweller look. I don't recall many of my running buds wearing pastels. It was a mishmash of looks in the mid-80's. There were much stronger fashion influences than Sonny Crockett, I can tell you:

the Magnum PI Hawaiian look, mustaches and 5 o'clock shadow were in
the Hair Bands big hair, bright colors - Van Halen, Poison, etc
alternatively, the Billy Idol, Joan Jett, Judas Priest, Motley Crue leather
whateverthehell Madonna was trying to do. Shoulder pads and crap.
And the weirdass Wham and Frankie and MC Hammer massive t-shirts, parachute pants, bandannas and such. Ack.
black folks had both the Jheri Curl and the Kid'n'Play fades (and Prince, kind of the male Madonna)

"The Wedding Singer" movie did a good job of stereotyping that era.

Late 70’s thru late 80’s was epic time

Nov 27, 2018, 2:13 PM

Party time!

But to your question....no feathers that I recall.

Mclovin in the 80s be like

Nov 27, 2018, 2:19 PM

Man, I hope that

Nov 27, 2018, 2:35 PM

CS02 was done with whatever he had planned for the rest of the day...

This before or after you put your finger in your sister?***

Nov 27, 2018, 2:57 PM [ in reply to Mclovin in the 80s be like ]

Couple of things here assshole

Nov 27, 2018, 3:04 PM

Don't joke about Fatz calabash chicken. It's not funny, and I take it very seriously.

misspelled "HER assshole"***

Nov 27, 2018, 3:17 PM

Wow. You people have special nicknames for everyone here.***

Nov 27, 2018, 6:55 PM [ in reply to Couple of things here assshole ]

I'm of that era, but I never really saw those people in bars

Nov 27, 2018, 2:25 PM

I was in my punk/underground band chasing years and the majority of folks in those clubs were probably just as douchey, but there were ZERO white sport coats, pastel pocket Ts, or braided loafers. Pretty much the exact same style you would see today at the Salvation Army homeless shelter.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^was country before country was kool***

Nov 27, 2018, 7:18 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You pretty much nailed it.

Nov 27, 2018, 2:27 PM

I did have the long hair and at least one unstructured sports coat.

Sadly, no fancy car.

And the cocaine. Don't forget the cocaine. 8-ball or GTFO.

Or so I was told by friends.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

henry liked the disco

Nov 27, 2018, 3:05 PM

but he didn't disco dress

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I just want to know how accurate Cheers was.***

Nov 27, 2018, 3:47 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was EXACTLY like every bar in Bahston I’ve been in.

Nov 27, 2018, 6:54 PM

EXACTLY

I imagine how Barley's was back in the day..............

Nov 27, 2018, 6:57 PM [ in reply to I just want to know how accurate Cheers was.*** ]

'Where everyone knows your name'

Probably still like that I just haven't been in awhile. But they know my name. ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's how Casa B's was....you ever go there?***

Nov 27, 2018, 9:49 PM

I did, until one night shots were fired through window. ....

Nov 28, 2018, 11:07 AM

No more after that lol.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like Barley's but it sure does get loud.***

Nov 28, 2018, 8:22 AM [ in reply to I imagine how Barley's was back in the day.............. ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've always liked going on a Sat. or Sun..............

Nov 28, 2018, 11:08 AM

afternoon. Usually laid back then.

Your ignorance offends me.

Nov 27, 2018, 7:16 PM

It was the Bee Gees and Roberta Flack and I drove a 1966 Chevy II SS w/327, vette angle plug heads, Orange rocker arms, Zero valves w/ a 3 angle valve job pushed around by a Phase 3 Z28 cam, Edelbrock alum intake with a Holly 800 double pumper sitting on top, TRW 12.5:1 pistons with perfect circle chrome rings, pink rods, a steel crank, Z28 balancer on the other end and behind all that a 40lb flywheel, Zoom purple pressure plate, Borg Warner super T10 w/264 low gear, Lakewood blow proof bell housing, brute U joints a 12 bolt chevy rear end which came in the model and a 513 gear and pinion. AP (JC Penny) headers because that's all that fit this car unless you were stupid enough to cut for fenderwell headers.

If I though there was any chance I'd pull up beside a Charger, Challenger, Superbird, Roadrunner, Vette, Porche, MB SL, or anything from Italy I'd put my cheater slicks on the axles and half track them light to light.

So #### you and your half-aszed condescention.

J/K, but not about the car or the equipment and that's what I drove until my first ex asked for it in a divorce settlement.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To modify a Lewis Grizzard quote........

Nov 27, 2018, 9:53 PM

A woman that'll take your muscle car will cut ya.

Uh, help please

Nov 28, 2018, 8:18 AM [ in reply to Your ignorance offends me. ]

Obed can you translate this for us ?

Sure, here you go...

Nov 28, 2018, 8:31 AM

“I wasn’t into the bar scene back then. I drove around in a car that made me look like I carried a butterfly knife in my sock, while street racing unsuspecting strangers for merriment.”

Hold on a minute.

Nov 28, 2018, 10:03 AM

I Discoed from Uncle Sam's in Knoxville to Clancy O'Toole's in Chattanooga. The only thing I had in my pocket was rolling papers and a bag of weed. I also hung out in a biker bar in Chatts too, it was called Leathers. Who wears socks?

Obed misspelled that

Nov 28, 2018, 10:13 AM

he meant "scoks"

a 40lb flywheel and zoom clutch?

Nov 28, 2018, 9:55 AM [ in reply to Your ignorance offends me. ]

That's a bad combination..unless you just like resurfacing flywheels and replacing pressure plates.

In fact..a 40lb flywheel is really an old way of thinking. Somebody somewhere thought you made more torque with one because it tool so long to rev the engine, When in reality, all it did was slow down a high revving engine.

Re: a 40lb flywheel and zoom clutch?

Nov 28, 2018, 10:13 AM

It about 7500 rpm hole shots w/9" wrinkle walls. Sorry about saying zoom clutch, it was a purple zoom pressure plate.

All the zoom clutch pressure plates were purple

Nov 28, 2018, 10:20 AM

I went through about 2 or 3 of those in a fox body Mustang I had all hopped up back in high school. I eventually went to a Hayes and fixed that problem. Just moved the weaknesses further down the driveline.

Was that in the English?***

Nov 28, 2018, 10:01 AM [ in reply to Your ignorance offends me. ]

Re: Was that in the English?***

Nov 28, 2018, 10:15 AM

Bee Gees, a foreign group of singers...

Singers??? Is THAT what they were??

Nov 28, 2018, 10:21 AM

I thought they were a living advert for the anti-dentites.

I'm almost 52 and wasn't legal to drink until 1988.

Nov 28, 2018, 8:03 AM

So I can not answer this question.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 49
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic