Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Explain why single payer health system would be worse than
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

Explain why single payer health system would be worse than

Feb 12, 2020, 11:10 AM

our current situation.

Seems like with single payer with a private option makes a ton of sense.

Fortunately, we have a healthy family of 4 paying $1200 for a catastrophe plan 14K deductible. For us to take our kids to the doctor, they've gotta be really freaking sick.

I just don't understand the danger of a having a "medicaid for all" type system with private insurance available for those who choose.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You explain what our government ever did right.

Feb 12, 2020, 11:13 AM

I'm not even going to ask you to find something our government does cheaply.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds like we should do away with gov't altogether.***

Feb 12, 2020, 11:27 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As much of it as possible, yes.

Feb 12, 2020, 11:39 AM

They should build roads and defend borders

Why would you trust the government to build roads?***

Feb 12, 2020, 12:00 PM

Roads should only be for people that can afford to

Feb 12, 2020, 3:01 PM [ in reply to As much of it as possible, yes. ]

use them. Driving to your minimum wage job? GTFO my road.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Funny, I was thinking about limiting gov expansion.

Feb 12, 2020, 12:24 PM [ in reply to Sounds like we should do away with gov't altogether.*** ]

Answer the question.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh I thought you were being rhetorical.

Feb 12, 2020, 1:00 PM

Something the government does well... ok, how about regulating pharmaceutical companies to ensure drug efficacy and safety? I think the FDA does their job well.

I'm just not a fan of the current hybrid system.

Feb 12, 2020, 11:54 AM [ in reply to You explain what our government ever did right. ]

Why not either go completely private or go public with private option if you don't feel like dealing with the gov't system.

There are inefficiencies in the current system, for sure

Feb 12, 2020, 12:20 PM

But the reason we have a hybrid system currently is that we think we have the resources to provide subsidized health care for certain vulnerable populations (the elderly, the indigent) and certain people who've earned it through their service to the nation (the military, veterans). Even with government care limited to those populations, spending on health care is a very large and growing part of every budget/appropriations bill.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You explain what our government ever did right.

Feb 12, 2020, 8:06 AM [ in reply to You explain what our government ever did right. ]

I'm not even going to ask you to find something our government does cheaply.

I know one way to fix healthcare/ insurance. Instead of allowing these insurance companies to spend millions on actors, air time and annually salaries. Have a law passed where only a non profit organization maintains and delegates insurance. I can understand commercializing a service that is wanted, but not commercializing something that is required by law. That goes for car insurance as well. It just sickens me to think while 82 year old Thelma struggles to pay for her prescriptions, Blue cross is shooting another promo and their VP gets another 1 million dollar raise. Also while your kid is going to college and trying to work a less than minimum wage job to help pay for their $60,000 Per year tuition, Geico and progressive is spending millions to see who can come up with the dummest commercials.

why would you choose private healthcare if you have free healthcare?

Feb 12, 2020, 11:13 AM

The only reason I could think of is if the free stuff was crap...which might answer your question.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"free" is not freedom from cost, it is freedom from choice

Feb 12, 2020, 11:26 AM

how much do Europeans pay for "free" healthcare?

Why do many of them then pay for Private plans above those "free" plans? Because they are purchasing Freedom of CHOICE.

Many of those people come to America to get treatment. Why?

I think we should go strictly private, but I feel like that

Feb 12, 2020, 11:53 AM [ in reply to why would you choose private healthcare if you have free healthcare? ]

is a complete pipe dream.

This Hybrid deal we have now is awful.

Re: Explain why single payer health system would be worse than

Feb 12, 2020, 11:27 AM

Reduction in care
Reduction in quality of care
Long wait lines for care
of course overwhelming costs to our country

I think people really think that the quality of our health system will stay the same after the gov takes over.
Doctors will stop going into the business. Some will stop doing procedures since it wont be profitable.
Quality will slowly degrade.

But meh, write it off. After its implemented, its too late. We're stuck forever. You can never take back Free.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

also forgot

Feb 12, 2020, 11:30 AM

once gov takes over your health, they can also start telling you what you put in your body.
They already do that with smoking with super high taxes.
Add in alcohol, Soda, salt in the near future. Bloomberg tried to eliminate salt in NY.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Next they'll tell us we can't have heroin.***

Feb 12, 2020, 11:37 AM

i thought dems wanted to make ALL drugs legal?

Feb 12, 2020, 12:25 PM

Well Pete does at least.

He wants to decriminalize drugs.

Feb 12, 2020, 1:13 PM

Unlike you who apparently thinks they should all be legal. After all, you don't like the government telling you what you put in your body.

Source: https://reason.com/2019/12/30/pete-buttigieg-says-we-should-decriminalize-all-the-drugs/

I'm not sure I can tell the difference between legalizing

Feb 12, 2020, 4:40 PM

all drugs and decriminalizing all drugs:

To be clear, Buttigieg is not calling for the legalization of all drugs, though he supports marijuana legalization. His preference is for drug diversion in the criminal justice system, such as drug courts.

They can't. The US is one of the only

Feb 12, 2020, 11:38 AM

first world countries not to have single payer, hybrid, universal systems. That's a fact. You're only gonna get a bunch of foxnews talking points with this question.

and we just happen to have the best medical care in world

Feb 12, 2020, 12:22 PM

weird how that happens

That is both factually and comically incorrect.***

Feb 12, 2020, 1:01 PM

Yet it is a lie they keep telling themselves.***

Feb 12, 2020, 1:10 PM

Oh, thats right. Cuba!!! I was told by y'all Cuba had the

Feb 12, 2020, 1:28 PM [ in reply to That is both factually and comically incorrect.*** ]

best medical care in the world. lol There were even documentaries on how great Cuban medical care was.

I'll have to make an appt somewhere in Europe next time i need something important done. Since all Americans are flocking to these places to get their care done.

But I'm sure I'll get some WHO website ranking... zzzzzz

How can single payer be a hybrid system?

Feb 12, 2020, 12:23 PM [ in reply to They can't. The US is one of the only ]

I'm confused.

Most of the civilized world has what is considered

Feb 12, 2020, 1:19 PM

single-payer or universal healthcare, it's the label that stuck. Reality is that most civilized countries have a hybrid combination of public/private systems. It's what works, there's plenty of proof all over the world.

Is that why Fox contradicts claims that every...

Feb 12, 2020, 1:24 PM

first world nation has a single payer healthcare system? You seem to agree with Fox on this.

I done tol' you to quit watchin' that channel, granpaw!***

Feb 12, 2020, 1:34 PM

Remember how bad the Obamacare app roll out was?

Feb 12, 2020, 1:06 PM [ in reply to They can't. The US is one of the only ]

That's not a Foxnews talking point, that's clear and concise evidence of how badly they would fugg up healthcare/insurance. It's laughable to me that anyone thinks our government would be able to efficiently and competently handle that kind of responsibility.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was bad, but it's also a bad justification.

Feb 12, 2020, 1:28 PM

There are endless examples of epic failures in the private sector, too. Remember: It wasn't the government that designed the Pinto.

That's one example of many. There are, but there are

Feb 12, 2020, 1:38 PM

consequences for the private sector, not so much with the govt. I wonder how many people got fired at the EPA for turning that river orange in Colorado? Maybe they got fined? HAHA!

Ahh, here we go...Nope, nothing to see here, GFY citizens.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/gold-king-mine-spill-colorado-rivers-epa-claims/

Health insurance as it stands is one giant clusterphuck, but anyone who thinks single payer would make things better is insane.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it was the gvt regulations that necessitated it***

Feb 12, 2020, 4:00 PM [ in reply to That was bad, but it's also a bad justification. ]

$5/gallon gas taxes.

Feb 12, 2020, 11:41 AM

How else will it get paid for?

It turns the gov't into a health care services distributor

Feb 12, 2020, 12:14 PM

Among the many problems with making that the main function of government, it gives government a reason to invade nearly every part of your life. And health then becomes a bigger political issue.

Terming a government system "Medicaid for All" is also just bad PR. Medicaid is the worst of the worst.

The one thing I'll say for single-payer is that some in the health care industry like it because it lessens the administrative burden on them. Thing is, though, that administrative burden all just goes onto the government, which would require huge amounts of funding and an expanded bureaucracy.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I prefer the federal gov't only get involved if/when it

Feb 12, 2020, 12:20 PM

has to. In the case of health insurance (people keep calling it "healthcare" when we're talking about health insurance) I think single payer is the nuclear option. There's a lot the government could do to reduce the cost of health insurance without taking over the industry.

The first thing I would recommend would be disentangling health insurance from employment.

"healthcare reform" was never about healthcare.

Feb 12, 2020, 1:05 PM

It was always about healthcare finance.

But it will affect the quality of healthcare when the reimbursements from insurance companies (and the federal gov't) are all controlled by the federal gov't.

Re: I prefer the federal gov't only get involved if/when it

Feb 12, 2020, 2:08 PM [ in reply to I prefer the federal gov't only get involved if/when it ]

would be disentangling health insurance from employment.

Sounds expensive, how would that reduce the cost?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It wouldn't reduce the cost.

Feb 12, 2020, 3:14 PM

The purpose would be to realign the health insurance industry to a template that makes more sense. We don't get our car insurance through our employers. Why do we get our health insurance that way? It may have made sense at one point, but it doesn't now.

Re: It wouldn't reduce the cost.

Feb 12, 2020, 3:23 PM

No case for change then, through an employer it’s streamlined, handy for making the premium payment through payroll, seems to cost less if the company is self insured, good retention tool.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I used to buy my car insurance through my employer.

Feb 12, 2020, 4:35 PM [ in reply to It wouldn't reduce the cost. ]

We got a pretty big discount, and it was deducted from my paycheck. I loved it.

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic