Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My Deer Tnetters,
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 49
| visibility 1

My Deer Tnetters,

May 16, 2016, 5:22 PM

My son Phillip, received his first acceptance letter to law school. Of course it's C of Charleston but it's a law school. He is, and has been since Christmas, interning with a Greenville lawyer who got his degree in law there. He really wanted to stay close to Clemson so he only applied there and UGA Law. We haven't heard from them so we can't say yet.

I think if his law boss pushes a little financial offering his way he may decided to move to the low country. I'm thankful for the boy. I know we all talk about how lawyers are scum of the earth but none of us have ever complained when our daughter marries one. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My Deer Tnetters,

May 16, 2016, 5:24 PM

Congrats to you both!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was born in Rockwood.

May 16, 2016, 9:25 PM

I was jerked up by the hair of the head all over the south but mostly there in Rockwood. Were you raised in Knoxville?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wait...

May 16, 2016, 5:45 PM

Your daughter is marrying your son?!?

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Wait...

May 16, 2016, 5:49 PM

The College of Charleston is a very fine school but does not have a law school.
Perhaps you are refering to the Charleston School of Law?
Go Tigers...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lawyers are scum of the earth

May 16, 2016, 5:47 PM

I know this first hand.

Good luck to your son as he's about to go through 3 years of pure he!l, followed by a summer of pure he!l studying for the bar exam!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

He's had five years of pure helll already.

May 16, 2016, 9:14 PM

He worked 50 to 60 hours per week at Little Debbie in Ottawah, TN while attending Cleveland State CC full time and has worked 48/wk at Michelin while finishing his undergrad at Clemson. He took two non-sequential semesters off during those five years.

I've said it before, he's the toughest sumbich I know. He already has a job lined up with help preparing for the bar. I look forward to him sleeping regular hours and not eating at a drive through.

Re: He's had five years of pure helll already.

May 19, 2016, 6:53 AM

FYI: ^^^^^^

"Little Debbie in Ottawah, TN " - Little Debbie is actually in Collegedale TN, which is close to Ooltewah TN (not Ottawah). Primarily run by Seventh Day Adventists, which has one of their universities there.

It's all kinda one little town but you're correct.

May 21, 2016, 5:41 PM

I didn't know collegedale is on the map.

Re: Lawyers are scum of the earth

May 17, 2016, 6:29 AM [ in reply to Lawyers are scum of the earth ]

and then the rest of his life counting his money and eating pond scum.......eck

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

he should look at Mercer.

May 16, 2016, 5:54 PM

I just graduated and attended for the same price as S. Car. Law school at in-state pricing due to Mercer's generous scholarship offers. Mercer has tremendous pedigree and an alumni base in the south. Charleston School of Law is in accreditation and faculty limbo. The founders and deans abandoned the school and it was scooped up by a for-profit company. Many Charleston students do not speak very favorably of the school in its current state. Congrats to your son, if it's not too late, mercer would love to have him. My Clemson degree was very impressive to the admissions staff there.

I appreciate that.

May 16, 2016, 9:15 PM

Thanks, we'll check out C of C's situation and I'll suggest he look into Mercer.

They may have figured out their accreditation situation in

May 17, 2016, 10:00 AM

the last two years, but the rumor mill was swirling that this most recent graduating class was offered to transfer to UNC law in order to obtain a J.D. that would be classified as eligible for a graduate to sit for the bar exam.

If Charleston School of Law has figured their situation out, it would be a fine school... the legal education doesn't change much from place to place. Bottom line, law school is all about finding a job. If he already has one lined up before going, then he could go to law school online if he wants... The hardest part of law school for me was locking down a job offer, which thankfully, I was able to do, but some of my classmates aren't so fortunate right now.

Re: he should look at Mercer.

May 17, 2016, 6:31 PM [ in reply to he should look at Mercer. ]

I'm CT88's son going to law school. Thank you for the advice! Mercer has a good program. And yes to the picky GWP, CofC does not have a law school. It is Charleston School of Law.

The previous owners that had caused the trouble with the program were bought out. They also hired a new president by the name of Bell. The school is currently transitioning to a non-profit. There has been tremendous progress since the 2 greedy guys were booted out.

The drawbacks to going to UGA or Mercer is that I won't be practicing law in Georgia.any of the prosperous attorneys in the Upstate give me advice which usually leads with "go to a law school in the state you're going to practice in." There are several reasons for that, one being BAR examination prep. Another is the contacts that are made are priceless down the road. Rob Ianuario, the attorney I work for actually attended and graduated CSL in 2008 before their accreditation in 2011. He practices criminal defense with a bread basket of DUI defense. He does do some civil suits, but typically refers them out to Chris Pratt, a connection he met at CSL.

Currently, he is one of the most respected and known by many outside the legal field as "the guy to get." It's a major reason I pursued his firm for an internship over others. Given he does have an MBA from Clemson also, he has done well for himself. He's certainly my respected mentor. If your next question is do I act as his personal Monica Lewinsky, it depends on what the definition of is, is.

What I can glean from law schools and a legal education is that it doesn't matter where you go if you have the drive and determination to learn and be one of the best. With that said, if your school files bankruptcy or the government shuts it down like Platinum Plus, the credits will be a hard transfer. Charlestone has put out some heavy hitters, as well as some heavy drinkers and addicts, but that's about any law school. The professors are currently ranked 10 by the Princeton Review and the school is actually ranked higher than USuCk law.

Right now they've offered 10k a year merit-based scholarship off the drop . I haven't even applied for tuition assistance, discounts, or let them know I sometimes eat dry dog food when the fridge is empty. Hopefully, they'll at least be willing to supply me with some Pedigree.

In summation, I have been up and down researching and on forums talking to alumni and where they're at in their careers and it looks pretty good. CSL has a high employment percentage within 6, 9, 12, and 18 months of graduation. Though, if I don't go to jail for playing hide the Vienna with a hooker in public, I have a job waiting for me already. It certainly has been one hell of a trip figuring all of this out. The bad thing is, with every overturned stone, there's a new bed creatures to analyze. I read quite a bit on here, and I'm always open to suggestions and advice. I'll take all I can get. This is an important decision. Charleston School of Law, though, is one bear that I've seemed to have tackled. I have a lot of connections for work, housing, faculty and admin and so on just from working with Rob. I tell ya, I know I produce good work, but he has just been amazingly kind to me and helping direct me. He hasn't once said I should go to Charleston, but that if I decide to, he already knows exactly what I need to do and the people down there to help with it. I don't know if I'll get that anywhere else yet. I have till June 8 to decide.

Ok this proves it ...

May 17, 2016, 8:31 PM

88 ... You done good.

Congrats to both of you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks, TTT.

May 21, 2016, 5:40 PM

I know pride is one of my main faults but after enrolling in Clemson with four kids, graduating with five and having the one born my Jr year actually graduate, I'm effin proud.

+1... as you should be.***

May 21, 2016, 6:29 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It sounds like you got it all figured out. You have def.

May 17, 2016, 9:56 PM [ in reply to Re: he should look at Mercer. ]

done your homework which is important. Going to law school is not something that you should do on a whim. It is a huge investment of time and money. I just received my diploma on Saturday and have accepted a job in Macon, GA pending my passage of the bar exam in two months. I had a handful of CU friends who went to Charleston and had good experiences. I also went to several moot court competitions hosted there and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm glad to hear that the for-profit jacka$$es got booted out of there. Plus, you really can't beat Charleston, amirite?

This is what you outta do... now that you have your sights pretty much set on Charleston. Squeeze some extra scholarship out of them by telling them you are going somewhere else. I did the same thing with Mercer and turned my $14k scholly into $21k. There is always money for the admissions people to dip into if they really want you. You have a lot more bargaining power than they would let you know. (I worked in admissions at Mercer part-time my first year). The money thrown out on people with fairly pedestrian LSAT scores, but solid degrees was comforting to see. Your Clemson degree should carry some weight with them.

Your job situation sounds legit. Most people go to law school hoping to create job prospects for themselves... you sound like you could have something waiting for you after graduation. I initially wanted to come back to S. Car. I worked my first summer at a law firm in downtown Greenville and it was pretty awesome. However, I married a GA peach my 2L year and the rest is history. We both graduated Saturday and we are happy to stay in Macon. We made a lot of great friends in law school and I would go back and do it again. I think it was a really good move for me.

Best of luck with everything. If you ever need outlines, txtbooks, or advice, Just T-mail me.

Re: It sounds like you got it all figured out. You have def.

May 19, 2016, 5:38 AM

Thanks man, yeah I believe I will squeeze them. When the Dean of Admissions asks to speak with you personally when you call, something must be going right. If I can get out of any school without loans I'm going to. Sadly many graduate students go straight for an MBA and don't find extra funding.

I'll keep in touch brother,
PEH

Congradufreakinlations.

May 21, 2016, 5:43 PM [ in reply to It sounds like you got it all figured out. You have def. ]

Waydago, bro.

What a silly thing to say. There are as many female lawyers

May 16, 2016, 6:23 PM

as there are male lawyers, or at least they are within a few percentage points of each other. I would hate for one of my daughters to marry a lawyer. I fully expect them to have a career every bit or better than any man that they might compete with scholastically or in the work place.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

wow. you assume she'd be marrying a male lawyer. how silly.***

May 16, 2016, 7:35 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

My brothers Daughter worked with one of the Supreme court

May 16, 2016, 8:00 PM [ in reply to What a silly thing to say. There are as many female lawyers ]

Justices in DC every other semester as an intern she started at UGA and finished at Harvard law.

She worked out of Greenville but opened a practice with a lawyer who was in DC with he, in Charleston, S.C.

She is marrying a lawyer she met in Charleston. She's sweet as the day is long but is going places when her work is on. Is your son getting married?

I told her I want just one get out of jail free...lol

I started at Coastal Carolina and have many friends in Charleston to the Grand Strand. Hey Reno is that you? Lol

Go Tigers

Congratulations on your son, I had girls but a son would have been nice too. I can't imagine how proud you must be.
My Daughter just graduated too in January, she finished 3rd in her class and teaches school as her husband does. My 1st grandson on the way in December, hope he's a great honest?? Lawyer...lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Family Lawyers are OK.......

May 16, 2016, 7:37 PM

.....depending on what practice they are in and what they do.

One of my twin daughters has an R.N. degree from UVA, a JD from Regency Law, an LLM (Hospital Management) from Loyola (Chicago) and another LLM (International Law) from Columbia Law School (NYC). She now is a USN Pentagon legal advisor, doing Lord knows what.

Re: Family Lawyers are OK.......

May 16, 2016, 8:05 PM

That's awesome too, I must know her too, just in case I need a favor....lol

That's living school(fun) and I did that too but it wasn't because I was working on advancing my education lol. It just took and extra year..lol

I can't imagine how proud you are of her...kudos to you and her!

??????

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

DIVORCE lawyers are scum...

May 16, 2016, 8:29 PM

....personally speaking.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Lawyers are an essential part of the American Democratic..

May 16, 2016, 8:33 PM

system. The average person doesn't have the knowledge to represent themselves when they are in need of legal counsel. Hence, why we have lawyers.

The average person can present themselves very well.

May 17, 2016, 5:40 AM

I've never been seen a court that respects the average person. The courts respect lawyers. A lawyer sells the respect a court gives him/her to us and sometimes we get a fair shake.

I have seen plenty of pro se parties that do a good job, but

May 17, 2016, 10:05 AM

many others that really should have hired a lawyer. Law is a nuanced profession and lawyers know the rules of evidence, procedure, and local courts. Some judges are not willing to waste time on people who failed to hire a lawyer and handle the matter themselves. It is not the judge's responsibility to translate or simplify legal proceedings in order for non-lawyers to understand what is going on.

Some judges do, especially in family court, allow for pro se parties to stumble their way through, but many times, you do yourself a disservice by not hiring a lawyer, especially when the stakes are so high.

I only had bad experiences when I went to court without...

May 21, 2016, 5:45 PM

a lawyer.

May 16, 2016, 8:52 PM

as a matter of fact, most all lawyers are scum. take my sister for example and her hubby.....both libs, Bernie Sanders supporters....don't know live from dead, black from white...up from down....in from out. So many lawyers flock to DC because they want to "work" for gov't, where they don't have to know anything or do anything and they cannot be fired. Tee you are dee's all of them. Recommend that your son become an electrician or motor mechanic. At least he would have his selfrespect.

That's freaking hilarious.

May 16, 2016, 9:22 PM

I was a sheetrocker when I enrolled at Clemson. After a few years I earned a BS in Building Science and became an educated sheetrocker.

nobody likes or respects lawyers... then they need one and

May 17, 2016, 10:10 AM [ in reply to Re: My Deer Tnetters, ]

that all goes out the window. The tables will be turned when a lawyer can help keep you out of jail or keeps you from losing your business, your insurance coverage, or helps you get money when an insurance company offers you jack.

May 16, 2016, 9:06 PM

Be thankful! he got accepted into a great school, and he isn't a coot. God is good! (actually, GREAT!) Congrats to him and to you and your family.

Thank you all for the kind words and advise.***

May 16, 2016, 9:23 PM

May 17, 2016, 6:25 AM

Congratulations to your son!

The Low Country isn't all bad. :) It's good that he's older and less impressionable, lest I'd say you may need to be concerned. And it's not Cocklumbia, so there's that.

Well done son of 88.

I think he's gay.

May 17, 2016, 8:19 PM

He doesn't seem to be real interested in social function this last couple of years so I have no proof one way or the other.

Re: I think he's gay.

May 17, 2016, 8:34 PM

I'm not sure I believe you, but if true, there's no better place to be than downtown Charleston. Either way, he seems like a smart well-rounded young man.

Re: I think he's gay.

May 17, 2016, 8:52 PM

My sexuality usually isn't questioned considering I've slept with at least two women in all your families, including my own cousins...

Have you looked into Charleston School of Law?

May 18, 2016, 4:34 AM

My brother and a few of our friends went there, and are all doing very well. My brother does IP Law, so he just deals with copyright, patent, and/or trademark infringement. They're in high demand, so if he has a technical background (ME, or any other engineering), IP Law is also worth looking into. You do have to take a separate IP BAR, but like I said, there is plenty of work for them once you get through it. Family Law can be extremely messy as you can imagine, so I'd steer clear of that IMO. Good luck!
HTH

Message was edited by: TigerGrant8®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CSL is where he was accepted.

May 18, 2016, 8:33 AM

My bad, I got excited and I'm afraid my emotions buffered between my brain and keyboard.

Fantastic! Congrats!***

May 21, 2016, 5:13 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Eye no your proud

May 21, 2016, 6:10 PM

He's got a pretty good dad.

Flattery will get you everywhere.

May 21, 2016, 7:42 PM

Wanna cam up or something?

J/K, is that a hollow body Fender on your profile page? I have a '02 00028ec Martin,

'72 telecaster thinline reissue

May 21, 2016, 10:08 PM

It is my go to electric. Everyone who has heard it or played it loves it.

Martins are classics. You a Clapton fan, or did that one just have your #?

Who plays guitar that isn't a Clapton fan?

May 22, 2016, 6:39 AM

I spent three weeks learning the first song on his unplugged album. My oldest son and DNL (no pigs) hates that song now. I'm gonna slip off and pick a little now, I'll be back 'direckly.'

Me playing my "blackie"

May 22, 2016, 10:42 PM
image.jpg(72.7 K)

Circa 2001
Ziggys in Winston Salem, NC.

Not a Clapton Blackie model, but it is my '94 black U.S. Strat export.

Re: Eye no your proud

May 24, 2016, 7:47 PM [ in reply to Eye no your proud ]

Undoubtedly I do. I thank God often that I do.

How about that 42 bucks you borrowed and...

May 24, 2016, 8:01 PM

promised to repay today? :)

Phillip says: "What $42? I thought you said keep the change."

May 25, 2016, 12:57 AM

Besides, when he's a lawyer, he can pay for lots of stuff worth more than $42.

Replies: 49
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic