Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Auburn botched Asa Martins redshirt..... link
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Auburn botched Asa Martins redshirt..... link

Dec 7, 2018, 12:55 PM

http://s.al.com/QoUXf5X

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's definitely a bad look for the Auburn staff***

Dec 7, 2018, 1:06 PM

It sounds like Auburn clearly dropped the ball here, but...

Dec 7, 2018, 1:25 PM

why are the parents taking such an active role in this?

The young man has his own voice and knows exactly how much he has played.

Speak-up son !!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

No way the kid should be at blame here...

Dec 7, 2018, 1:37 PM

It's easy to say he should have spoken up, but it's clear the coaches are either incompetent to track participation or they could have other intent. In either case, what is the kid going to do in the middle of a game, tell the coaches this is his fifth game so I can't go on the field? He's only 18 (or 19), so it's refreshing to me to see the parents taking an active role in all of this.

It will be interesting to see if any actions are taken by the family because of this error. I don't know what they would be, but I doubt we have heard the last of it.

Did you not read the article? Clearly the child was lied to

Dec 7, 2018, 4:17 PM [ in reply to It sounds like Auburn clearly dropped the ball here, but... ]

about his role going forward

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah. The best case here is total incompetence by the

Dec 7, 2018, 6:04 PM

Auburn staff. Worst case is flat out lies and deception.

They definitely lied to him about his role going forward.***

Dec 7, 2018, 7:41 PM [ in reply to Did you not read the article? Clearly the child was lied to ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They definitely lied to him about his role going forward.***

Dec 8, 2018, 9:03 AM

Lies or incompetence ..... take your pick!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Auburn botched Asa Martins redshirt..... link

Dec 7, 2018, 1:48 PM

Could you ever imagine Dabo or coach Scott overlooking something like this, in a million years? Ummmm no.

Dec 7, 2018, 3:04 PM

Reminds me of the time Hatfield ran the ball against GT while in FG range with no time outs and 13 secs
remaining in 1st half.

Ahhh, the painful to watch old days! Thanks for Dabo!!***

Dec 7, 2018, 3:15 PM

Tommy West did something similar...

Dec 7, 2018, 4:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Auburn botched Asa Martins redshirt..... link ]

during a Thursday night game against Georgia Tech except Clemson still had timeouts left that but, for whatever reason, he elected not to use.

As much as I liked Tommy West, he was not a particularly good coach and it was a poor hire for Clemson.

Re: Tommy West did something similar...

Dec 8, 2018, 8:50 AM

We ended that game with timeouts and the ball, down 1 score. We had gotten the ball with like 2 minutes left in the game and moved like 15 yards. I said, "Well, that ought to do it for HC West at Clemson," that night and I was right.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2018, 8:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Auburn botched Asa Martins redshirt..... link ]

I am so glad somebody remembers that game. I was so mad. In fact I’m still not over it. Pure stupidly on Hatfield’s part. He should have been fired on that move alone. Although I thought that drive started with more than 13 seconds and that he did indeed have timeouts.

Dabo is detailed and organized, but if he made a mistake

Dec 7, 2018, 7:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Auburn botched Asa Martins redshirt..... link ]

he would own it. That’s why he is the best

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He often says...

Dec 7, 2018, 7:58 PM

that he has never coached a perfect game and is always self-evaluating in an ongoing attempt to learn and improve.

Great mentality.

Did Malzahn ever get that buyout renegotiated?

Dec 7, 2018, 3:15 PM

If not, maybe he wants to hold tight a few more weeks.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2018, 4:17 PM

Malzahn just wants to make sure he has to play against Asa Martin for 1 less year when he's an assistant for Alabama next year.

Dec 8, 2018, 9:49 PM

Article below that one says Asa Martin has annonced he's transferring out of Auburn .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: the least incompetent way i can see this

Dec 8, 2018, 10:42 AM

According to a fan, Martin only played one play vs Arkansas. Since a penalty was enforced on that play, he technically didn't play, though it caused confusion. (Why are we having to believe a fan? A mere fan should not be the one arbiting or communicating this.)

Mama warned the coaches before Miss St that he had reached his limit of 4 games(based on his participation vs Arkansas)--SHE is the one who wanted Asa to RS--but Asst Coach Harris said they weren't going to RS but give him valuable playing time. He played vs Miss St.

Whoever was tasked with determining if Martin's participation vs Arkansas counted dropped the ball, or failed to communicate adequately with the parents. Harris and HC Malzahn were proven to be Blowing Smoke at Mrs Martin when her son DNP for the next 5 games. If they truly intended to give him PT, there were opportunities.

Then in Game #11, the 53-0 blowout vs Liberty, the coaching staff removed all doubt, going All In in burning the RS by having him play numerous plays.

(Please don't be angry at the irreverent use of All In.)

Mama has struck the perfect tone in her complaint vs the coaching staff. She was not seeking increased PT for her son as a freshman; she had wanted him to RS. He is not seeking a transfer that would burn another year of eligibility. She is not even looking for assurances of increased PT in the future. She simply wants to know that the coaching staff has a plan for her son's career, competence to keep it on track, and honesty and transparency if anything changes. So far, they are not.

And ultimately, she also questions the integrity of a coaching staff who, if they cannot be trusted with the careers of young men with someone looking out for them, certainly can't be trusted with the careers of young men who have to speak up for themselves.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic