Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It should be expected that there are differences of opinion
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 672

It should be expected that there are differences of opinion

Apr 22, 2020, 1:06 PM

On how quickly restrictions from the virus should be lifted, and to what degree. It's a complex issue; there is room for a myriad of opinions.

What we have to do is understand that, for the most part, those opinions are rooted in the same motive. Some people think "opening up" quickly is in the best interest of the American people. Some people think "opening up" slowly is in the best interest of the American people. See how those sentences end the same way? Nobody wants people to die. Nobody wants financial livelihoods to be ruined. Those are strawman arguments, and should not be used.

The interesting question, to me, is why the difference of opinion seems largely partisan. While I believe people genuinely feel that their opinion is motivated by the desire for the well-being of Americans, I do think that it can be colored by political biases. Here are some ideas. Which are true? Are some more impactful than others? Are there others not listed?

1. It is perceived that a longer shutdown will decrease the chances of re-election for President Trump.
2. Restriction of activities is viewed negatively by more "small government"-minded individuals.
3. It's as simple as inherently wanting to agree or disagree with the President.

Let's examine ourselves. We all want what's best for Americans. But do we nevertheless have political motivations? Furthermore, is that necessarily a bad thing?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It should be expected that there are differences of opinion

Apr 22, 2020, 1:18 PM

We have 50 state each has all power not given to federal government. People who don't think the governors are making good decisions have options. They can vote to change governors or move elsewhere. The third option is to refuse to return to work and be patrons of establishments which they feel shouldn't be open.

This is simple for me. I sheltered in place weeks before SC formally shutdown and will continue to do so indefinitely.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 22, 2020, 5:33 PM

Both posts are very inciteful and of course, many of our views are colored by our politics. I'm no different.

I would only say this, if we can, when everything opens up we should flock, as best we financially can, to our nearest small businesses and buy their products or services.

We've become to corporate-centric and need to support our friends in small businesses. They can't get lines of credit from Goldman-Sachs.

They suffer as we suffer.

We need to help them if we can.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go flock yourself.

Apr 22, 2020, 7:22 PM

No way I'm jumping in with a flock of people anywhere anytime soon til we get much more intel on what this thing actually is.

I visit and support local biz often now - mask and a pair of batting gloves in tow - and look forward to small retailers getting things back going and offices back to half full. Tipping to-go restaurant staff strip club money these days - gonna be real rough, and long process, for restaurants that fully closed down to get back up and running. Restocking is pricey pricey and help will likely be half new at that point. Demand will also be far down in the months ahead.

Good time for infrastructure work with costs low and displaced affordable labor at hand.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Go flock yourself.

Apr 23, 2020, 12:24 AM

You shouldn't post when you're drunk.

Just sayin...

+1 for "strip club money"...***

Apr 23, 2020, 10:53 AM [ in reply to Go flock yourself. ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 22, 2020, 6:21 PM

its not complicated, need to open and stay open, individuals can weigh the risk/reward for themselves

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 22, 2020, 6:41 PM

its not complicated, need to open and stay open, individuals can weigh the risk/reward for themselves

History is replete with men who are courageous with "other people's" lives.

We have two separate ideologies

Apr 22, 2020, 7:11 PM

One focuses on the needs of the individual and one on the needs of the community. They shouldn’t be mutually exclusive, yet one is often presented as taking precedent, depending on your ideological bent.

Which party is focused almost uniformly on the needs of individual at the expense of the needs of the community?

Re: We have two separate ideologies

Apr 19, 2019, 12:05 AM

The Democrat Party

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So the Pubs are the commies then?***

Apr 22, 2020, 7:53 PM

Re: So the Pubs are the commies then?***

Apr 22, 2020, 9:00 PM

No, I just gave you an answer befitting the false paradigm you proposed.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You got the point exactly.***

Apr 22, 2020, 9:58 PM

Apr 22, 2020, 10:12 PM

No one wants people to die? Then why are some protestors carrying signs that say "Sacrifice the weak"?

Apr 23, 2020, 12:25 AM

CU17 said:

No one wants people to die? Then why are some protestors carrying signs that say "Sacrifice the weak"?

They're being brave with other people's lives. It's a common trait among the right. If "others" die then it's just nature.

Replies: 14
| visibility 672
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic