Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It seems that USuCk doesn't get hit as hard w/ the MLB
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

It seems that USuCk doesn't get hit as hard w/ the MLB

Mar 4, 2013, 11:59 AM

draft for incoming recruits as we do.

Is that the case?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They pay better than the minors***

Mar 4, 2013, 12:02 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was until this year

Mar 4, 2013, 12:05 PM

Last year Clemson lost a lefthanded pitcher that went in the 1st round. Wold have been a huge piece in the weekend rotation for 3 years. This year Scar lost their top 2 players to the draft. It's something that gets ignored in baseball recruiting but it matters a lot. Losing those guys will hurt them in the next couple of years unless they can fill those spots this year.

What happend to that good lefty we brought in last yr?

Mar 4, 2013, 12:07 PM

he was a highly rated pitcher but I havent heard anything about him lately

Re: What happend to that good lefty we brought in last yr?

Mar 4, 2013, 12:14 PM

The top lefty from last year's class signed a pro contract. The only other we got last year is Bailey and he hasn't shown a ton so far. I think Irwin is looking pretty good so far this season and hopefully Crownover will get back to full strength soon.

As someone who doesn't give a #### about MLB,

Mar 4, 2013, 12:09 PM [ in reply to It was until this year ]

They need to make these kids go to college for at least a year--the basketball system is pretty stupid but I think it's better than college baseball.

Won't happen

Mar 4, 2013, 12:15 PM

The risk of arm injuries to pitchers is too great.

There isn't a difference

Mar 4, 2013, 12:29 PM [ in reply to As someone who doesn't give a #### about MLB, ]

There's nothing different between baseball and basketball with regards to going pro. Ever heard of Kobe? LaBron? They went straight to the pros like a lot of baseball players do...the difference is they went straight to the big show where most baseball players go to the minor for a few years.

Ummm... where have you been? They changed the

Mar 4, 2013, 12:30 PM

basketball rule to where you can no longer go pro straight out of HS. But you only have to play college ball 1 year.

In baseball you can go pro out of HS but if you go to college you have to stay 3 years like in football.

u-suk recruits in state talent better...

Mar 4, 2013, 12:16 PM

in the pee dee region baseball is very popular and most of those kids end up at usc.jack has always lacked in state recruiting.why?

no Id say Jack has won that battle the last 2 seasons***

Mar 4, 2013, 2:05 PM

Re: no Id say Jack has won that battle the last 2 seasons***

Mar 4, 2013, 2:56 PM

South Carolina does lose some big time guys to the draft. Wil Myers & Taylor Guerreri come to mind.

Re: They did a few years ago before Tanner, but a

Mar 4, 2013, 4:42 PM

decision was made by the SC coaching staff to try to target as many of the 2nd-tier players who are actually going to play college ball.

It may look special during recruiting to have commitments from top round draft picks but if they never play ball on campus all it turns out to be is fodder for the broadcast guys to talk about "imagine how good this team might have been if 'xxxxxxx' had not signed with the Yankees".

Too areas where Tanner and the SC coaching staff have outpaced all other programs is evaluating talent and finding community college kids to fill needs.

Mar 4, 2013, 5:40 PM

If your players are not getting drafted, you're probably recruiting the wrong players. Also, I went to Fridays game and met the USC sports information director. I told him Clemson is real young and he told me when they played Arkansas in the CWS, they started 5 freshman..all from South Carolina. So I looked it up, and he was right. (Pankake, English, Greiner, Montgomery and Martin). Oh well, my "we're young" excuse didn't work.

Mar 4, 2013, 6:15 PM

I think you have to be smart about it. You don't want to recruit an entire class that never makes it to campus. You have to throw your hat in the ring with some big time guys, but also recruit guys you're confident will make it to campus. I think Florida lost like 7-8 recruits from their recruiting class last year to MLB and that's gotta hurt them in the long run. They're already struggling this year.

Re: Maybe I was not clear....the top HS players are...

Mar 4, 2013, 10:25 PM [ in reply to Re: They did a few years ago before Tanner, but a ]

going to sign minor league contracts.

That is why you do not see Clowneys\Bowers type players signing to play college baseball.

The best college players normally come from the ranks of the middle to the late middle rounds. Schools have to know what the cutoffs are for those top players from those levels who are going to not want to go the minor league route vs college route....

The kids that colleges lose to the pros are not from the top 2\3 rounds of MLB picks each year, those players are guaranteed pro signees.

I did not say that SC was signing undrafted kids, only that they were not going after the 30th round to 40th round as much as the 45th to 50th round, knowing that the majority of the 30-40s would likely end up signing pro contracts leaving the team dry after a ton of work.

It seems to have been working pretty well for SC to this point.

Re: As someone who doesn't give a #### about MLB,

Mar 4, 2013, 10:38 PM

That's just crazy talk. You may be the only person in America who actually thinks that.

Baseball is the only sport that has a real, team owned development process. If anything, they do it better than all the other American sports.

Basketball players should be able to go pro if they choose and be required to stay 2 or 3 years if they don't.

yes it is….

Mar 4, 2013, 11:48 PM

and they also have tryouts every year where they string along kids who have small school offers into thinking they can make it, just so they can squeeze out a few gems.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic