Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
football Update: ACC coaches talk anonymously about Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

football Update: ACC coaches talk anonymously about Clemson

Aug 21, 2012, 9:44 AM

ACC coaches talk anonymously about Clemson

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think that last quote came from TNet not a coach***

Aug 21, 2012, 9:49 AM

I'm guessing it was Jumbo Fisher or Frank Creamer***

Aug 21, 2012, 11:40 AM

Re: I'm guessing it was Jumbo Fisher or Frank Creamer***

Aug 21, 2012, 11:46 AM

Frank still hasn't gotten over the 2 smack downs.

Re: I think that last quote came from TNet not a coach***

Aug 22, 2012, 11:48 AM [ in reply to I think that last quote came from TNet not a coach*** ]

All of these qoutes were in the Athlon ACC edition.

Re: football Update: ACC coaches talk anonymously about Clemson

Aug 21, 2012, 9:51 AM

Which ACC coach said which?

Anonymity. It's a hard concept for some.***

Aug 21, 2012, 10:11 AM

ROH

^^^Didn't read title of article^^^***

Aug 21, 2012, 10:15 AM [ in reply to Re: football Update: ACC coaches talk anonymously about Clemson ]

Aug 21, 2012, 9:54 AM

Does everyone think Boyd is a "dual threat" QB b/c he is black? I dunno, he looks more like a pocket passer to me, kinda looks a little slow at times when running the ball.

COLLEGE: A three-year starter at strong safety for Clemson, finished his career with 234 tackles and 11 interceptions.

I don't consider him a runner,but he will get that tough 2-3

Aug 21, 2012, 9:59 AM

yards if needed.With confidence,he might run more often in the future,which is something i think he can do effectively enough to keep defenses honest.

Re: I don't consider him a runner,but he will get that tough 2-3

Aug 21, 2012, 10:03 AM

I agree, i think he has definitely shown that he can scramble a little when he needs to. Even out of high school, wasn't he billed as a pocket passer?

COLLEGE: A three-year starter at strong safety for Clemson, finished his career with 234 tackles and 11 interceptions.

No he wasn't

Aug 21, 2012, 10:40 AM

he was billed as a Dual Threat guy but became more of a pocket passer his senior year playing on a torn ACL (I think, if not then some other knee injury). He's been working to get his running ability back and I think he showed flashes last year.

Aug 21, 2012, 10:17 AM [ in reply to Re: football Update: ACC coaches talk anonymously about Clemson ]

I swear I remember Boyd was recruited as a dual-threat quarterback, and I was surprised when he turned out to be more of a classic pocket passer. Maybe I just misremembered. I think the reason people think of him as dual-threat, though, is not because he's a particularly agile or fast runner but because he will be hard to knock down when he decides to tuck and run. He is not your usual stringbean quarterback.

Either consciously or unconsciously, we've been cautious ...

Aug 21, 2012, 10:37 AM

... with Boyd, because (at least last year) losing him to injury for any length of time would have pretty much ended the season for us.

With a solid, dependable back-up QB, I really believe Tajh Boyd could open up and be a tremendous running threat.

He's not a guy who will break free for a long TD run, but he's definitely a guy who will make a defense pay dearly for ignoring him.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He is a runner in the Big Ben mode

Aug 21, 2012, 11:09 AM [ in reply to Re: football Update: ACC coaches talk anonymously about Clemson ]

He can move around and is hard to take down.

WARNING: all material posted by kfast600 is not to be taken seriously and can make you dumber than you were before, if that is actually possible.

Boyd has never been a typical dual-threat QB. He is not a

Aug 21, 2012, 10:41 AM [ in reply to Re: football Update: ACC coaches talk anonymously about Clemson ]

terrible runner, and is mobile in the pocket, but is more comfortable and much more effective in the pocket. Most recruiting analysts rated him as such, but a few mistakenly considered him a dual-threat, as have many fans; and yes, I think they were simply buying into the stereotype.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Boyd has never been a typical dual-threat QB. He is not a

Aug 21, 2012, 10:45 AM

I thought so, i remember seeing him in our recruits list on Scout, and wondering why a guy who some were talking about as a dual threat qb was running a 4.7 40. I think Scout had him listed as a pocketpasser.

From Scout . . .

Aug 21, 2012, 11:08 AM

Boyd is a leader and a winner. He is one of those guys that makes everyone around him better. He shows a lot of poise in the pocket and is more of a pocket guy than he is a dual threat QB. He has a strong arm and decent touch on his deep balls. Boyd needs to work on his decision making as we see him try and force the action from time to time. He has continued to get better each year and he shows tremendous upside. - Bob Lichtenfels

Rivals had him down as a Pro-Style QB, while ESPN talked about him as a dual-threat. I think I even remember Tajh himself saying he was more of a pocket passer.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

It seems like I remember TB saying he was going to try

Aug 21, 2012, 1:33 PM [ in reply to Boyd has never been a typical dual-threat QB. He is not a ]

and run the ball more than in the past... I agree he doesnt have break out speed but IMO, I believe he will be able to keep the defense on his toes... Time will tell and Sep. 1 is taking too long.

Go TIGERS!!!

The recruiting guys always said Boyd was NOT a runner. That

Aug 21, 2012, 10:44 AM [ in reply to Re: football Update: ACC coaches talk anonymously about Clemson ]

was fabricated by people's opinion... and yes most likely because he's black.

Chad Kelly, however, is a dual threat guy. Boyd's so big, he can be an effective runner, though.

Re: The recruiting guys always said Boyd was NOT a runner. That

Aug 21, 2012, 11:23 AM

He better be dual threat this year

because defenses have him figured
Out Be ready Chad Kelly.

Re: The recruiting guys always said Boyd was NOT a runner. That

Aug 21, 2012, 11:49 AM

Oh really

Explain

Link

Aug 21, 2012, 10:49 AM [ in reply to Re: football Update: ACC coaches talk anonymously about Clemson ]

According to this, Tajh was billed as a DT guy but always considered himself to be more of a pocket passer.

As a jr he threw for 2,000 yards and rushed for another 500, sr year on a bad knee he threw for 1,500 yards and had 3 rushing tds (couldn't find the yardage numbers).

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/andy_staples/01/27/boyd.commits/index.html

ACC Championship does feel like forever ago

Aug 21, 2012, 10:05 AM

the OB? not so much...

New season, new defense. I think we have a good chance to clench our division again. We need to send a strong message to the darlings of the ACC in Week 4 and come ready to compete again against BC. And I can hardly wait to see our new D up against GT.

So friggin ready for Sept 1st!

I really don't know what to say about the OB.

Aug 21, 2012, 11:31 AM

I don't think you live something like that down you just have to try and rationalize it away.

Want me to try?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Never happened!

Aug 21, 2012, 11:43 AM

There, did that work?

Nope, just Googled 2012 Orange Bowl, it's still there.

Dang it!

I'm surprised

Aug 21, 2012, 10:52 AM

with the coaches being granted anonymity you'd expect to see a little more sniping.

One comment on the coach's opinions.

Aug 21, 2012, 11:28 AM

"The sad thing for Clemson is last year’s 8–0 start seems like it was five years ago. Has a conference championship ever felt so dissatisfying?"

How the hail would any of them know what it feels like to win the conference except Beamer?

Beamer is the only coach that knows what it's like to win the ACC. Johnson's win was vacated for ineligible players.

We beat them on defense and "Beamer Ball," last year bich slapping them at their house and in the ACCCCG, ending their reign of terror!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wake's coach knows too.

Aug 21, 2012, 11:44 AM

nm

The sad thing for Clemson is last year’s 8–0 start seems

Aug 21, 2012, 12:26 PM

like it was five years ago. Has a conference championship ever felt so dissatisfying?"

That's exactly how I feel.

What did that asshat win?***

Aug 21, 2012, 4:31 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The last one sounds like one of us said it.

Aug 21, 2012, 3:56 PM

I would have never imagined that winning 10 games and winning the ACC championship would happen in the same year that I felt completely embarrassed and disappointed. I don't even have huge expectations. I would have preferred 9 wins and us not becoming even more of a national joke. I love Clemson as much as anyone, but we shoot ourselves in the foot worse than I will ever understand.

I have no idea why Clemson is capable of such awesome things and then invariably craps on itself soon afterwards. It's a special kind of sports torture for those of us who can't escape to stupid-blind-happy land like some people on here.

Either way, I can't wait for this season. Beat Auburn! Again!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic