Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It really does not matter on reporting Covid cases
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 439

It really does not matter on reporting Covid cases

May 21, 2020, 8:00 AM

any longer. Why? Well it is because we are not going back in to shutdowns and we all know the virus is gonna spread. When States reopened they tossed it all to you to make your own choices on what to do and where to go. Now having said that it does not mean isolated shutdowns/lockdowns in a hotspot but I very much doubt we will see it being ordered State wide again. Even with hotspots it is futile unless you put up road blocks to prevent leving /entering.

All the talk of doing deep cleanings, precautions etc . are just fluff. It is only clean until the 1st person enters or touches and instantly it is no longer possibly virus free. In the end it is a huge waste of time and money to make you feel good.

Dems want it to stay shut down so they can point to their UBI and Universal health care as the way to go, Pubs want to fling it all open to save the economy. If one lives in a Dem stronghold you may see shutdowns again as they will not give up on pushing that agenda . Pub areas are gonna put it on people to choose. This event sets the stage for some epic battles over the direction of the US in the future. Who wins, really does not matter to me. Neither side is right and both work for the same masters and in the end not much will change.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It really does not matter on reporting Covid cases

May 21, 2020, 8:55 AM

The prison of two choices is the problem. Neither '#### the torpedoes full steam ahead,' nor the 'If you are caught outside your home you will go to jail,' is a practical solution.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It really does not matter on reporting Covid cases

May 21, 2020, 8:57 AM

Yup, we did our time to allow a stocking of PPE, not overwhelm the hospitals and now it is a personal choice on what one does and where one goes. Also what choices they make to protect themselves, though I do wish we had PPE on shelves for the public to buy along with wipes/sanitizers

exactly. sending kids to school/daycare doesn't fit in those

May 21, 2020, 9:39 AM [ in reply to Re: It really does not matter on reporting Covid cases ]

2 worlds. My wife is probably more at risk than others, so we want to limit our exposure. but our ability to work and provide, coupled with my child's emotional and mental health require him to be in school/daycare something. So we can decide to send him bcack, but then we open ourselves up to all the other families. So even if we limit every other interaction in our life, we are still exposed to 5-10 (whatever the number of kids is in his class) other nodes on a daily basis.

I can't control what those families do. All I can do is hope my 5 yo remembers some rules of distancing, maybe remembers to pull up his neck gaiter and hope that other kids will think it's cool and wear their's as well...idk.

flipping mess. I literally just pray that summer will help temper things a bit and that people stop being so bullheaded and start considering others.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It's Baltimore, Gentlemen; the Gods will not save you."

Re: exactly. sending kids to school/daycare doesn't fit in those

May 21, 2020, 9:43 AM

Yes it does suck in that regard for folks in your situation, thankfully mine are all grown and we do not have that to consider. Until we have a normal functioning shool sytem open it is gonna be a drag on a lot of things going forward.

Good take. I will add that putting peoples lived back in

May 21, 2020, 10:05 AM

their hands is not actually about saving the economy. To me, its about a much larger issue than that. But yes, a collapsing economy, bankruptcies and poverty are what happens when an autocratic authority supplants the individual.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good take. I will add that putting peoples lived back in

May 21, 2020, 10:22 AM

Priority one is the economy at this point, really does not matter who isin office if we are doing Great Depression 2.0. I tend not to get too wrapped up in the Constitutional aspect as there is a point to be made that during an extreme event certain things are temporarily put on hold. Though it also means and end game for what is temporary too. Not perpetual with shifting goalposts.

I agree. I agree because I believe each individual has the

May 21, 2020, 2:33 PM

right - one not granted by the state - to manage his/her own risks to feed themselves. Even if that wasn't best for the economy, which clearly it is for reasons that don't have anything to do with corona, I would still be anti-lockdown.

Analogies can be illuminating. Consider this one:

We remain an agrarian species: Stop farming, most of us die. Only in the last sliver of history have we not been a agrarian culture. In thousands of years of human history, only in the last 150 or so have most people not had to farm, so farming analogies contain a lot of principles that don't go away by assuming an industrial culture. So imagine that you grow wheat, your neighbor grows corn, and your other neighbor grows cattle. You trade with each other so all necessities of life are met. It is now harvest time for the wheat and corn. It has to come in now, or it doesn't come in. The government steps in and says, "No, you guys cannot help each other do that. You have to remain indoors."

At that point there is no need to philosophize. That is an idiotic thing for the govt to do, for reasons obvious to all. Its a death sentence in response to a risk, the act of an ignorant autocrat. There are overriding principles here that go far beyond the need to eat, but the practical idiocy of such a governmental act illuminates the underlying principles, imo.

Message was edited by: CUintulsa®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 439
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic