Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: ACC needs to add to the good news and realign the divisions
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 76
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: ACC needs to add to the good news and realign the divisions

Apr 30, 2013, 9:55 AM

ACC needs to add to the good news and realign the divisions

The ACC's announcement last week of the media grant of rights fees means the conference should be stable and viable for years to come. However, the conference could make an even bigger statement by realigning the divisions. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like that plan...that's a good idea

Apr 30, 2013, 10:01 AM

former ACC and Big East in divisions...need to split up Louisville, Clemson, and FSU.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I like that plan...that's a good idea

Apr 30, 2013, 12:59 PM

The way it stands now with the ACC championship game. About the only way to make that game exciting, would be for Clemson, Fla St or Louisville have to play that game with second string QB's. The way the coastal has been the last several years. That would be about the only way to make the ACCCG exciting. With GT every body has figure out how to beat the chop blocks. VT has the old man syndrome for a HC. Then there is Miami and UNCheat that can't get past the cheating. Then there is the fact that Swofford has done absolutely nothing to improve the ACC reputation in FB and he doesn't intend to now that he has the ACC LOCKED down to prevent any school from moving. That move was made only to prevent FB schools from increasing their value in a FB first conference. Welcome to Swofford's basketball world. Swofford has finally gotten what he has wanted for his Alumni ever since he became the ACC commissioner. A basketball first conference with several good FB schools to help him support his precious BB conference.

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

VT went to the Sugar Bowl 2 years ago.

Apr 30, 2013, 1:11 PM

Not to mention winning 4 ACC championships over their first 7 years. It is amazing how one bad year by one team and Clemson stringing together 2 good years turns into "the last several years".

"Swofford hasn't done anything to improve ACC FB" except adding Miami, VT, and a very good at the time BC team. Or bringing in ND who will play 5 ACC teams every season. Or keeping the conference together through all of the nonsense rumors.

Re: VT went to the Sugar Bowl 2 years ago.

Apr 30, 2013, 4:55 PM

yes they did! and promptly got ROBBED! and did swoffie complain and support them in any way??of course not!he only cares about basketball and UNC!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But Miami would

Apr 30, 2013, 3:54 PM [ in reply to I like that plan...that's a good idea ]

have to do a lot of long traveling.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

David: Why do they not want to realign? They tell you it

Apr 30, 2013, 10:03 AM

isn't going to happen. Why? Sigh.

Message was edited by: AThomas®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lots of reasons.

Apr 30, 2013, 11:33 AM

UNC doesn't want to be separated from either Duke or UVA, and they like getting to Atlanta every other year because of recruiting and a large number of alumni there. They also realize that in the foreseeable future the easier path to Charlotte lies in the Coastal.

UVA doesn't want to be stuck in a northern division with teams they have little history with beyond VT (26 total games against the rest of the proposed ACC North teams other than VT.

VT doesn't want to be stuck in a northern division without an assured game in NC every year.

GT, while originally pushing for a move that put them in a division with FSU, now like UNC sees that the easier path to Charlotte lies in the Coastal than the Atlantic.

Re: David: Why do they not want to realign? They tell you it

Apr 30, 2013, 4:57 PM [ in reply to David: Why do they not want to realign? They tell you it ]

it is a good idea but then??? why bother to try to improve things??

Re: Front Page Story: ACC needs to add to the good news and realign the divisions

Apr 30, 2013, 10:07 AM

Realignment talk is interesting and has some valid points, however, the strength of the teams is in a state of flux and is ever changing. I'm not sure that the conference leaders are ever going to be willing to be constantly tinkering with the divisions. I would like to see the original members moved into the same division.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

success will fluctuate but support for the programs over the

Apr 30, 2013, 10:12 AM

past 10 yrs is about the same today as it was in 2003. Clemson, FSU, and VT get tremendous fan support and it's a tremendous priority to win. GT has ok fan support at best. Miami the same. NC will always be a basketball school. Now you add in Louisville to the mix and you have the heavyweights with fan support tilted to the Atlantic.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: success will fluctuate but support for the programs over the

Apr 30, 2013, 4:58 PM

don`t try to impress Swoffie with the facts! his mind is made up that this is best for basketball and UNC

I don't understand the need for a cross div rival game. With

Apr 30, 2013, 10:09 AM

7 teams in each division, you play 6 teams and a rival every year. If you rotate a home and home, that would mean it's going to take 13 years before you would even play that school again. Throw in there the fact you have to play ND at least once every 5 years and wow.

It may be 15-16 years before Clemson ever plays UNC again.

That's why I would not have a cross division rivalry game.

Very Good point

Apr 30, 2013, 10:40 AM

I do like seeing the different teams on the schedule each season.

I like the idea of playing GT every season like it is, but VT wouldn't be bad. Miami would not be bad either.

Re: Exactly.

Apr 30, 2013, 6:44 PM [ in reply to I don't understand the need for a cross div rival game. With ]

I think a better solution is as follows:

Atlantic
FSU
GT
Clemson
UNC
NCSU
UVA
VT

East
Everybody else

UNC/NCSU can play Duke and Wake OOC if they want, and FSU can do the same with UM, as they did for years. Meaningful rivalries and overall access to Florida, and NC are preserved by alignment. Rotate two/yr, preserving decent access for everyone to Florida, Georgia, SC, VA, and NC.

Re: Front Page Story: ACC needs to add to the good news and realign the divisions

Apr 30, 2013, 10:09 AM

How does Miami get in the North?? I agree with you that FSU and Clemson should be in different divisions. The powers that be will decide this, not you and me. I enjoy your articles.

It puts them with their former Big East rivals

Apr 30, 2013, 10:17 AM

I wonder if they would consider such a move worth the increase in travel budget for non-revenue sports teams though.

divisions aren't strictly adhered to in non-revenue sports

Apr 30, 2013, 10:41 AM

so I don't think that would matter too much. The divisions are mostly used for football due to championship game. They use it in baseball, too, but they wouldn't have to.

They'd almost have to split it differently in baseball

Apr 30, 2013, 10:46 AM

come to think of it.

There isn't much quality college baseball north of Virginia. I don't even know if Syracuse and Pitt have teams

Of the incoming schools

Apr 30, 2013, 11:22 AM

Only Syracuse doesn't field a team. We will have two 7 team divisions when Louisville eventually comes on line.

Apr 30, 2013, 10:10 AM

I like the idea and love the thought of playing in those divisions but just like teams want to play in Florida once every two years I think you are missing out on some exposure by not playing anyone outside of the South. Clemson has the edge on teams like BC, Cuse, Pitt, UVA in recruiting but many players want to play close to home from time to time. Giving them that opportunity every other year could be what Separates Clemson from other southern schools.

null

Using that same logic

Apr 30, 2013, 10:21 AM

you could also get a kid from Chapel Hill who wants the chance to beat up on his hometown team every year, so he picks VT or GT instead of us because we only play them twice every 5 or 6 years.

we only speak with emotion here....no logic***

Apr 30, 2013, 10:23 AM

Re: we only speak with emotion here....no logic***

Apr 30, 2013, 10:52 AM

What emotion could I possibly have for wanting to play the Northern Schools? I live to the South of Clemson and will have far less opportunity to visit away games in the current divisions, but I can see the benefits on the recruiting front. I do think we should move Louisville to the other division just to insure a solid opponent in the ACC Championship but I'm not sure a complete overhaul is needed.

null

it was a joke...nothing more***

Apr 30, 2013, 11:08 AM

Re: Using that same logic

Apr 30, 2013, 10:48 AM [ in reply to Using that same logic ]

You are correct but we are also playing in North Carolina once a year and that allows his extended family to come see him play. I am not talking about out recruiting teams in the ACC because besides FSU/Miami we already do that. But the biggest difference for kids in East coast states between Clemson and schools like Auburn and UGA is we would play close to their home occasionally. I am sure us playing in the same division as Cuse played a role in Ebo's decision to commit to Clemson.

null

Re: Using that same logic

Apr 30, 2013, 11:04 AM

You've got a point, but I guess the question is do you take the risk of losing a couple of guys from New York or Maryland every year in exchange for increasing your presence in the talent-rich South?

I'd lean towards the latter, you prefer the former, there's not really a good way to prove who's right.

Apr 30, 2013, 10:13 AM

In this scheme there is no need to keep the cross-division rival. Other than FSU-Miami there are no natural rivalries between schools in the north/south divisions. I think it would be better to vary the games across the division than be locked in with only 1 varying game a year.

Even with these realigned division this conference seems so blah :/

Apr 30, 2013, 11:27 AM

Well that's b/c it is just sooooooooo blahhhhh.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The key question is whether Louisville will have a better

Apr 30, 2013, 10:14 AM

program than UNC, VT, GT, and Miami the next 10 years or so. I'm not so sure. Last year, Louisville scrapped out many close wins, beat UNC by 5 at home, beat Southern Miss by 4 away, beat USF by 2 at home, beat Cincinnati by 3 at home, won by 3 at Rutgers, got clobbered by Syracuse on the road, and lost to UConn on the road.

If I was going to bet money, I'd think Miami, VT, and UNC will be as good or better than Louisville the next 10 years.

Louisville had a great year last year but I wouldn't be surprised to see them back track a bit next year, and a lot in 2014 when they join the ACC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll take that bet anyday of the week***

Apr 30, 2013, 10:15 AM

I'm down. UNC, Miami, and VT have more football

Apr 30, 2013, 10:24 AM

potential than Louisville.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we've got a night at the Esso on this one

Apr 30, 2013, 10:27 AM

I'm enjoying suds on your dime :)

2023 FSU game?***

Apr 30, 2013, 10:29 AM

I'm there.....you're calling me a cab :-)***

Apr 30, 2013, 10:32 AM

Thank you for saying that...

Apr 30, 2013, 10:54 AM [ in reply to The key question is whether Louisville will have a better ]

at least there is one logical person on here when it comes to Louisville.

They are a solid program right now and are on the up and up, but get way too much credit.

I mean, people watched them beat Florida in the Sugar Bowl and now they have a better program than VT? Not seeing that and they are maybe on par coaching and talent wise with both Miami and UNC.

Its tough to gauge UofL bc of their conference affiliation and who they play. Like you stated, they nearly lost 5-7 games last year (one correction - they lost to UCONN at HOME - makes it look worse).

UofL may become an elite program in the future, but some folks need to stop acting like they are an elite team right now.....they aren't.

they are still WAY better than who we replaced them with

Apr 30, 2013, 11:09 AM

Maryland wasn't, isn't, never will be a good program over a sustained period of time.

Oh I agree...definitely an upgrade...

Apr 30, 2013, 12:32 PM

I just think they get a little too much hype right now.

Re: The key question is whether Louisville will have a better

Apr 30, 2013, 3:30 PM [ in reply to The key question is whether Louisville will have a better ]

As long as Charley Strong is there, I'll put my money on him to win. And also, they didn't give him that big raise to stay and lose. IMPO, I think that Louisville will be one of the better FB schools in the ACC as long as he is the HC.

My two Divisions:

Apr 30, 2013, 10:14 AM

The Swofford Division:
- Tarholes
- Dook
- NC Stayut
- Pitt
- Syracuse
- Wake
- UVA

The Football Division:
- Clemson
- FSU
- VT
- GT
- Miami
- BC
- Louisville

Louisville and NC Stayut are floaters depending on how good they are at football (i.e. how much their fans pretend to only care about basketball).

That way we can keep to our own.

Re: My two Divisions:

May 1, 2013, 11:15 PM

Why would we make the divisions even more unbalanced?

http://ryankantor.com/2012/11/28/how-the-acc-could-realign-divisions-to-preserve-tradition/

GOOD news?!?

Apr 30, 2013, 10:15 AM

Grant of rights is nauseating

Next time, vote Jabba like you're supposed to.

you've got to follow the company line...it's a good thing***

Apr 30, 2013, 10:19 AM

I hope you have a great mind...

Apr 30, 2013, 10:36 AM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?forumID=1&threadID=1208449&messageID=13530087#13530087

Interesting Archive!

Apr 30, 2013, 10:49 AM

I think it would work

No more "permanent rivals". They suck.

Apr 30, 2013, 10:40 AM

No more "permanent rivals" except FSU and Miami:

Atlantic Coast Division:
FSU, GT, CU, UNC, NCST, Wake, Duke

Big East Division:
Miami, UVA, VT, L-Ville, Pitt, Syracuse, BC

UNC is not going to go for that

Apr 30, 2013, 11:45 AM

They think of UVA as more of a rival in football than NC State.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South%27s_Oldest_Rivalry

Think UVA would mind being in the Big East division despite

Apr 30, 2013, 10:42 AM

being a member since the first year?

If you think about it, cross border rival wars and other

Apr 30, 2013, 10:48 AM

games in the states 1 or 2 over make the SEC.

In the ACC Clemson has historic rivalries with the UNCheat (a border war game that we have not played many times since adding BC and Miami and VT), GT (a border war game), FSU (one of those 2 states away but still close), VT (one of those 2 states away but still close (who we have not played many times), and NC State (a border war game--Textile Bowl). If Clemson played these 5 games a year it makes for great cross border and near border clashes and builds tradition and interest. Clashes far north in BC, Syracuse, and Pitt are not like cross border clashes. Most people cannot drive to them--you have to get on an airplane. You don't interact with those people like most do with Tarheels, Crackers, Floridians, and Virginians.

The ACC needs to work on building or re-building border clashes.

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message was edited by: AThomas®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 30, 2013, 10:52 AM

PLEASE - PLEASE - PLEASE follow the recommendation to name the divisions NORTH and SOUTH!!!

If anyone - any sticking one - actually continues to call them Atlantic and Coastal after a realignment - they should have certain body parts removed. PERIOD!

Sheesh - how stupid can anyone possibly be???

Would the idiots that named our divisions please step forward? Please make them do a lot of community service for 'stupidity'.

Nah

Apr 30, 2013, 10:56 AM

Miami needs to be in same div with us and fsu

Brutal travel for Miami. All opponents are VA to New England***

Apr 30, 2013, 11:08 AM

Apr 30, 2013, 11:30 AM

While they are at it they should update the brand logo including blue/beige color combination

Apr 30, 2013, 11:42 AM

It makes sense to keep rivalries that take years to develope together which this plan does. In addition travel costs are reduced and funds can be put to better use.

Switch Miami and Wake and I agree.***

Apr 30, 2013, 12:11 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Switch Miami and Wake and I agree.***

Apr 30, 2013, 1:44 PM

^^Agree with this, but I would switch Miami with NCST or UNC to keep divisions more balanced. But division need to make sense geographically.

How about this...

Apr 30, 2013, 12:46 PM

I know that Duke and UNC don't want to be split up but they could be cross division rivals. Also, even though FSU and Miami would be in the same division each team would make it to Florida at least 2 out of every 3 years from the opposing division.

Div 1:
Boston College
Louisville
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Virginia Tech
North Carolina
North Carolina State

Div 2:
Clemson
Duke
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Wake Forest
Miami
Virginia

Rivals:
UNC - Duke
Virginia - V Tech
Wake - BC
Miami - NC State
Clemson - Syracuse
FSU - Pitt
G Tech - Louisville

Not sure I would characterize our signing away any chance of

Apr 30, 2013, 1:10 PM

getting out of the ACC as good news.

The alternative was what?

Apr 30, 2013, 1:13 PM

Wait it out? That was not an option.

The SEC was not going to happen.

The situation in the Big 12 would be no better than the current ACC. Most likely worse.

You guys kill me with the mindless ACC/Swofford bashing.

Clemson's rivalry with UNC, UVA, and VA Tech is dead!

Apr 30, 2013, 1:22 PM

Clemson will only have 1 home and home series with UNC in a 26 year period. Likewise UVA and VA Tech.

UNC, UVA, and VA Tech may as well be in the PAC-12.

In fact, we may play a team from the PAC-12 in a bowl game more often than we play UNC, UVA, or VA Tech over the next 20 years.

Depending upon your age, you may only have one more chance to see Clemson play in Chapel Hill, Charlottesville, or Blacksburg.

When did we

Apr 30, 2013, 4:42 PM

have rivalries with any of those three schools?

We have won almost 2/3rds of our games vs UNC and VT. We have won over 80% of our games vs UVA. While we are culturally aligned with VT because of academics and a football first attitude the only thing we share in common with UNC and UVA is we are members of the ACC.

The only thing we share with Scar is that we are in the same

Apr 30, 2013, 8:49 PM

state.

It violates the Blue Rule.

Apr 30, 2013, 1:57 PM

Which states: Any divisional realignments must allow for UNC and Duke to possibly meet in the ACC Tournament Finals.

There aren't and haven't ever been Basketball Divisions

Apr 30, 2013, 2:01 PM

(and of course Duke and UNC are in the same division for sports that do use the divisions.)

Eject Duke, Wake, UVA & Cuse. Round-robin a REAL conference!

Apr 30, 2013, 1:58 PM

Yeah... I know... It's a fantasy, and we need contrived divisions and championship games to make money.

But I hate dividing conferences into 2 divisions and I despise permanent-rivals, both of which enable teams to win their division and/or conference based on luck of the draw rather each team playing every team in their conference.

I wish the NCAA had mandated a maximum of 10-teams per conference with mandatory round-robin schedules.

I guess I'm just a crusty old man.

Why would Miami want to be right back on an island within

Apr 30, 2013, 2:02 PM

its division just like it was in the Big East? Why on earth would VT and Virginia agree to such an alignment? Talk about one division being much stronger than the other, this would do it. What about everyone getting exposure up and down the coast?

I like the ACC's zipper approach and see the reasoning behind it. Tweak one team, maybe, but aligning them to resemble the old Big East and ACC is not good.

Make it easy North / South!!!!!!

Apr 30, 2013, 2:16 PM

Nobody outside of the ACC knows who is in the Atlantic and Costal divisons. You would be hard press to find people who even know what the divisons are named.

Change it asap.

Easy to remember. Easy for VT to win North, but South brutal***

May 1, 2013, 12:08 PM

Apr 30, 2013, 8:28 PM

There are a ton of long-term benefits to realigning geographically.

To not do it at this point and time is absurd.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemmer.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Please explain how locking us in the ACC

Apr 30, 2013, 9:13 PM

for the next 20+ years is good news?? We suck in basketball, always have and always will. Basketball doesn't pay the bills, never has and never will at Clemson!!

As long as ESPN is running College Football and John Swofford is ACC Commish, we will be screwed.

Going back into hibernation until 8/31!!

Re: PS and thank God, Barker is gone!!***

Apr 30, 2013, 9:15 PM

Re: Please explain how locking us in the ACC

Apr 30, 2013, 9:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Please explain how locking us in the ACC ]

i guess you maybe forgot that revenue in every sport is split between the member schools.

Where do want to go, that we had any chance of

Apr 30, 2013, 9:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Please explain how locking us in the ACC ]

attaining?

SEC - usc would not let us in.

Big 12 - no natural rivals, shaky conference and long travel to a different time zone.

B1G - not happening and no natural rivals.

Independent - funny

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Maybe this is a dumb question, but why do we need divisions?

May 1, 2013, 2:01 AM

Why not have a random schedule each year, except for perhaps one or two "rivalry games." Otherwise, you get who you get. The top two teams play for the conference championship.

What is the problem with this?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

If ACC wants to be "Big Boy" football, it should have a ....

May 1, 2013, 5:58 AM

"Big Boy" division.

Clemson
FSU
VT
Louisville
GT
Miami
NC State (or maybe Pitt)

Winner of the division gets to host the ACC Championship.

May 1, 2013, 3:42 PM

Realignment looks like it makes too much sense for Swofford to consider. I like your alignment except for travel reasons, I would swap FSU and Miami.

May 1, 2013, 11:14 PM

Completely agree 100% with your division breakdowns. Way back in November I suggested they put all the ACC Charter schools in the same division. I wouldn't mind playing UL every year and I know FSU wants GT to be in their division so I think your breakdown makes the most sense. FSU/Clemson/GT and the NC schools. UL/VT/Miami. That works out to be somewhat balanced, although the FSU/Clemson side is still stronger.

http://ryankantor.com/2012/11/28/how-the-acc-could-realign-divisions-to-preserve-tradition/

Replies: 76
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic