Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Re: 9 ACC games per year. How much $ would we lose
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1,132

May 30, 2012, 8:44 AM

by only having 6 home games every other year?

I've already stated I like the 9 ACC games because it helps the more talented teams like FSU, Clemson, VT, and Miami, and hurts Wake, BC, GT etc. because the more games the more the cream rises to the top.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 30, 2012, 8:47 AM

I think eventually all conferences that have 14 or more members will go to a 9 game conference schedule

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't see the SEC doing it....that will hurt their chances

May 30, 2012, 8:50 AM

to get a team into the playoff and it hurts their teams by losing a home game. They negotiate their TV from a position of strength...they remind me of the Masters in how they deal with the media. This is the SEC way and you deal with it or don't...we're still going to do it our way. The ACC couldn't negotiate in that manner and needed to offer more inventory on the objection of Clemson and FSU but simply caved and gave another game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The SEC might be forced into it by TV

May 30, 2012, 8:53 AM

TV will need the content. And ESPN would rather show another conference game than an extra game with La Tech or Memphis.

they aren't going to be forced into anything...

May 30, 2012, 8:59 AM

they are dealing from a position of strength...win 6 national titles in a row and you dictate terms. It's such a difference to what we are used to in the ACC. We used to think that way but it was primarily due to basketball. Now basketball has been passed so far by football that it hardly matters anymore.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: they aren't going to be forced into anything...

May 30, 2012, 9:04 AM

Eventually the third tier tv money will be hard to pass on 9 conference games...Now it may never happen..but if they do go to 16 I think they will

they are going to make such a windfall from this SEC

May 30, 2012, 9:09 AM

tv network throughout the south that money probably isn't going to be an issue. It's amazing how the SEC how grown into this enormous giant over the past 20 years. I would say in 92 when FSU joined the ACC and SC/Ark joined the SEC it was fairly even between the conferences....now....wow....it's a muscle man and a tiny little weakling.

Re: they are going to make such a windfall from this SEC

May 30, 2012, 9:30 AM

I think it has more to do with the perception that the whole conference is great just because the top dogs are, but yes the conference has lead the way in all the inovation imo

It makes Clemson decide between....

May 30, 2012, 9:42 AM

It makes Clemson decide between series like UGA in noncon or getting an extra home game.

I won't pretend to know how much the UGA series is valued at. I do know your fanbase would rather play those games than go to the Carrier Dome every other year.

As for the lost home game...

Estimated value per attendee- 100 bucks
Clemson draws almost 80,000 per game IIRC

8m left on the table.

So if Clemson goes with the appealing series it loses that 8m.

If Clemson goes with the extra home game it's losing X number of dollars in donations.

Ticket prices vary between quality of opponents. The UGA

May 30, 2012, 10:02 AM

game would easily be $60, maybe $65. The cupcake team like Ball State will be $35. Georgia game will bring a solid 82k fans, while Ball State will bring 75 or so. It'll actually be almost a wash between having one home Georgia game and two home cupcakes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Being reported on other sights

May 30, 2012, 9:57 AM

that the SEC will also be forced into 9 conference games by ESPN. They're not upping the $$$$ that much (or at all),standing firm on the current contract. So it seems you 9 conference game whiners were wrong. If and when CU and FSU go BIG 12, they'll play 9 conference games and will be contracted to play at least 1 SEC game per forthcoming ESPN contract and SEC/BIG 12 conference agreement.

The problem with the ACC schedule is not the 9 conference games(upped the TV contract) but the pansy a$$ move by the Commish not requiring all ACC teams to play an SEC(or any major conference) team.

ACC teams consistently play more OOC games against BCS

May 30, 2012, 11:19 AM

schools than other conferences. The problem is that we usually lose them other than against the Big East.

I doubt they go to 9 games unless espn offers 4m

May 30, 2012, 10:01 AM

Each team in the SEC save Vandy averages over 50k attendance.

100 bucks per attendee gets anywhere from 5-10m for those schools with the extra home game. Divide that by two as its one extra game per two year period and you get 2.5-5m being made right now annually.

Any tv increase has to cover that.

Big 12 would play 8 league games at 12 teams.***

May 30, 2012, 10:03 AM

It's not just tickets. It's tickets + concessions + gameday driving additional merchandise + anything else

May 30, 2012, 10:04 AM

It adds up.

why would we only have 6 home games?

May 30, 2012, 11:24 AM

I havent seen how the years line up, do we play at south carolina the same year that we have 5 acc road games?

we could just have 8 home games the other year to balance it out

Replies: 15
| visibility 1,132
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic