Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ER report. It's not COVID-19 they're seeing the most of.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

ER report. It's not COVID-19 they're seeing the most of.

Apr 20, 2020, 11:57 AM

Last night I was on a conference call with a state organization for which I serve on the Executive Committee. We're all psychologists and many work in hospital settings. One guy said their ER is not seeing tons of COVID cases and they are certainly not overwhelmed (I've heard the same here although I do not work in a hospital). But he said they are seeing lots of suicide attempts and alcohol abuse. I believe it. The cure is worse than the disease for many.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm guessing that's pretty dependent on the location....

Apr 20, 2020, 12:27 PM

but speaks to the larger point of targeted shut-downs vs complete shut-downs IMO.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed. This was a metro area in Virginia, not Northern VA.

Apr 20, 2020, 12:28 PM

would be different in NYC

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Need to reopen where it's not bad, close where it's bad

Apr 20, 2020, 1:36 PM

reopen when it gets better where it's bad, and close where it's better but gets bad. Just have to manage it. It's a big country, lots of urban, suburban, and rural areas, and each will have different capabilities to reopen to different extents. Like a big game of whack-a-mole

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amen. We're not all NYC.***

Apr 20, 2020, 2:17 PM

Re: ER report. It's not COVID-19 they're seeing the most of.

Apr 20, 2020, 12:41 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How many suffer from pre-existing mental health conditions?

Apr 20, 2020, 1:20 PM

is this a relevant question in the context of life threatening situations?

There’s been discussions highlighting that the Covid-19 fatalities are predominately associated with pre-existing physical conditions often found in older populations. The insinuation is that if one is young and healthy, then why should “protecting” this population impact them? Similar logic could apply to those that are suicidal or suffer from substance abuse.

So regardless of any type of pre-existing condition, one population has significant physical health considerations and another has significant mental health considerations. Maybe just my Christian upbringing, but both populations require thoughtful public policy actions.

Re: How many suffer from pre-existing mental health conditions?

Apr 20, 2020, 1:27 PM

Many times suicides are attempted due to a simple internal debate of fight or flight.

I learned this after my mom tried. She had never given it a thought. But an argument in our family caused her to literally flee and hide in a hotel for days and make the attempt.

So a job loss, loss of a house, loss of a loved one could trigger that, like instantly. I whole heartedly disagree with you that they are all mental unstable or noticeable or actionable mental health considerations. It just happens.

APM, you are the expert, so please correct me if I am out of line.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

not APM but a mental health professional

Apr 20, 2020, 1:37 PM

you're absolutely right. suicide attempts often aren't predicated by a plan and can be very impulsive in course of action. that being said i think it is safe to assume that being "locked down" for those with pre-existing mental health conditions has exacerbated a lot of environmental factors in these patients' lives. hell, even the happiest among us are becoming annoyed with our surroundings during these times, imagine if life absolutely sucked before COVID-19.

Speaking from personal experience that is

Apr 20, 2020, 1:42 PM [ in reply to Re: How many suffer from pre-existing mental health conditions? ]

both are correct BUT, in times of distress those without pre

Apr 20, 2020, 1:53 PM [ in reply to Re: How many suffer from pre-existing mental health conditions? ]

existing MH conditions are more likely to have suicidal urges, actions, etc.

Look at the suicide hotline numbers in some states.

Just one example:

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/04/19/suicide-help-hotline-calls-soar-in-southern-california-over-coronavirus-anxieties/

APM thanks for info. Did not know that about suicide risk.

Apr 20, 2020, 2:34 PM

Something for all to keep in mind.

Re: How many suffer from pre-existing mental health conditions?

Apr 20, 2020, 2:24 PM [ in reply to Re: How many suffer from pre-existing mental health conditions? ]

I am no expert, but I feel confident you are correct.

Apr 20, 2020, 2:08 PM

Makes sense.

It is a little concerning that APM is a psychologist

Apr 20, 2020, 3:31 PM

although, he seems more sane when talking about something other than politics, usually.

Many hospitals aren't seing many patients because of the cancellation of elective cases and because some people are staying away from hospitals even because of emergencies. If the area where you are only has a few COVID cases, then obviously the ERs in that area aren't going to see a ton of COVID patients since somewhere between 15-20% of infected people will require hospitalization. However, if you're in a big city with thousands of cases, then your hospital is likely to see a bunch of COVID patients. Another thing to consider is that COVID patients aren't supposed to be coming into ERs to begin with.

I would be curious to see numbers on suicide attempts and drug/alcohol abuse, though. Obviously, drug abusers now have more time to sit around and abuse drugs. And not being able to have plans/projects for the future is pretty depressing, so people who cope with that using substances probably aren't having a great time.

Message was edited by: camcgee®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Somebody seems to have gotten a hold of his login lately

Apr 20, 2020, 3:48 PM

like all his posts are making sense.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It is a little concerning that APM is a psychologist

Apr 20, 2020, 3:51 PM [ in reply to It is a little concerning that APM is a psychologist ]

$1200 does buy a lot of booze, he could be onto something.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 21, 2020, 3:00 AM

Hold the phone....you're a Psychologist and you come in here?

Come on over, lie down on this couch and let's talk about it Alt Paw Man.

Were you molested by a cat in the 3rd grade? Let's talk about that.

How did you feel after the cat 'gave you that cat look' and walked away

uncaring, disinterested as cats are. Did you feel used? Disrespected?

Go ahead, get it out. That cat was a son-of-a-bitch! Stop blaming yourself!

Stop torturing yourself over something that wasn't your fault by coming into

TNET and forcing yourself to read #### like this!

Let the "good Alt Paw" out of your insides and be free.

Speaking from very personal experience

Apr 21, 2020, 6:33 AM

I totally believe this.

My seizure a couple of weeks ago landed me in ER/ICU for 24 hours

Stress? My job(s) are dependent on gatherings of more than 10 people, how do you think that’s working for me? When will be able to operate normally again? How much money am I losing? Will we still be a functioning company next year?

Everybody handles stress very differently. I should probably go for a run instead of having a beer. Others may turn to harder substances.

I’m not suicidal by any stretch, but can totally see how the change in lifestyle and uncertainty of the future for many could lead them to those thoughts.

I’ve been on tigernet way less during this whole ordeal, I think I need to be here more and maybe the overlords can lift the ban on LBOD’s to keep us all mentally safe.

In conclusion, we are all dealing with this thing in our personal and work lives in some way, shape or form. Be kind to others (on the webs and in real life) because you never know what they are going through and how they are handling it.

Keep yourselves safe and healthy from the Rona and the potential side effects from everything else discussed.

OMG YES!!! Let's petition Crump & BMeist for LBODS!!!***

Apr 21, 2020, 11:25 AM

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic