Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Recruit Update: Brownell checking out SG prospect
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Recruit Update: Brownell checking out SG prospect

Apr 25, 2011, 10:14 AM

Brownell checking out SG prospect

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's pretty clear that coach Brownell is pursuing

Apr 25, 2011, 10:55 AM

primarily players that are getting lots of offers from smaller or less successful programs, as opposed to the high profile, All-American blue-chip types.

I assume this is due to one of the following, or perhaps a combination:

1. He is still utilizing the connections he had at Wright State, and has not yet built sufficient relationships beyond that.

2. He has made a conscious decision not to pursue the high profile players either:
a. As part of an overall strategy to target a certain kind of student athlete that will fit his system and stay for 4 years.
b. As a concession that we simply can not compete (yet, at least) with the UNCs, Dooks, etc of the world, and are wasting our time for the most part when pursuing the 5 and high 4 star prospects.

As long as he is successful with it, I don't care. I certainly have no reason to doubt him based on what he has shown so far. I just hope this isn't a concession that we can never compete with the big boys; and I hope that some day we will be able to attract that type of player.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

not telling why he does it but the man knows his stuff

Apr 25, 2011, 11:21 AM

He gets result. so I support his approach- no matter what it is.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hard to argue with results.***

Apr 25, 2011, 11:21 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

well, we don't know if his recruiting results work yet

Apr 25, 2011, 11:26 AM

at a bigger school like Clemson.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Which is my point - thanx.***

Apr 25, 2011, 11:27 AM

- H. L. Mencken

Re: well, we don't know if his recruiting results work yet

Apr 25, 2011, 11:41 AM [ in reply to well, we don't know if his recruiting results work yet ]

And you don't know that it doesn't either!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

uh, thats what i said.***

Apr 25, 2011, 11:58 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's pretty clear that coach Brownell is pursuing

Apr 25, 2011, 11:21 AM [ in reply to It's pretty clear that coach Brownell is pursuing ]

Brad Stevens say "Hi!"

No doubt. I hope BB can build that kind of success here

Apr 25, 2011, 11:26 AM

and maintain it.

I wonder if Stevens and Butler will be able to maintain that level going forward, and I wonder how good they would be competing in the ACC game-in-game-out during the regular season. They certainly look good come tournament time.

- H. L. Mencken

you won't have to worry about CBB's recruiting

Apr 25, 2011, 12:13 PM

if dufus tdp doesn't "show him the money".

it is obvious by how long whatever our slumbering AD is doing is taking that it is not a big priority for t dufus p, i am sure just as obvious to cbb.

Apr 25, 2011, 11:39 AM [ in reply to It's pretty clear that coach Brownell is pursuing ]

Has it crossed your mine that, when BB takes those types of players and win with them. That the higher profile players will see he must be a great coach when he can take those types of player and compete against them with them....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It has crossed my mine that if BB is successful with the

Apr 25, 2011, 11:59 AM

lower profile players, he may be able to attract the higher profile players at some point (if that is what you are saying). I alluded to that already.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: It has crossed my mine that if BB is successful with the

Apr 25, 2011, 12:30 PM

Then we both agree that this will be the best way for BB to build Himself and Clemson together. I believe BB has it in him to do just that. If, like another poster has stated. TDP better make the pay check right before another school does....

Maybe, it is, maybe it isn't. That's why I posed the

Apr 25, 2011, 12:55 PM

question.

When we are making the sweet 16 or better on a fairly regular basis, then we will have progressed to the next level, and I will agree that it worked. Until then, I'm a realistic optimist.

- H. L. Mencken

Apr 25, 2011, 4:39 PM [ in reply to It's pretty clear that coach Brownell is pursuing ]

BB recruiting is different from football in that you get players for how they will work in your system. Its not as clear as to who the #10 point gaurd in the nation is as the #10 LB in football. I think there is more subjectivity in BB. A great basketball player is more easily overlooked. Just because small schools recruit someone, doesn't mean they aren't a great player.

Re: Recruit Update: Brownell checking out SG prospect

Apr 25, 2011, 1:30 PM

Don't you think we need some size? So far it doesn't seem like we have any big men committing. Does anyone know if he going after any?

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic