Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Disney/ESPN acquiring Fox/Fox Sports
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Disney/ESPN acquiring Fox/Fox Sports

Dec 14, 2017, 10:51 AM

Is this good or bad? Anyone worried that ESPN will have way too much power with sports and college football?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/disney-espn-will-foxs-regional-sports-networks-152019773.html

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Murdoch keeps Fox News & Fox Sports***

Dec 14, 2017, 10:58 AM

It's just the Regional Sports Networks (RSNs)***

Dec 14, 2017, 10:58 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

It gives ESPN the lion-share of regional MLB coverage.

Dec 14, 2017, 11:08 AM

They also inherit Oklahoma's third tier rights (as their RSN affiliate was the home of their "Network").

Given ESPN's divestment of the majority of their baseball assets (they essentially gutted Baseball Tonight, and Sunday Night Baseball is losing the majority of their on-air talent), it's an interesting play.

But the reality is that the RSNs are losing a lot of programming with the advent of conference specific cable networks - the Big East, PAC-12, Big XII and ACC gave these networks hours of programming during both football and basketball season, the majority of which is being ported to dedicated linear channels going forward.

My guess is that ESPN is going to use the content to further supplement their BAMTech acquisition from earlier in the year, but it will be interesting to see how they deal with the current plurality of linear channels presented by the RSNs.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Awful Announcing...

Dec 14, 2017, 11:22 AM

And Awful Announcing's article on the acquisition specifically references ESPN Plus (their direct-to-consumer internet play, which was the focus of the BAMTech acquisition) and the acquired controlling stake in HULU as the major technology pieces of the play.

http://awfulannouncing.com/espn/disney-purchase-fox-espn-plus-stake-hulu.html

Re: Awful Announcing...

Dec 16, 2017, 11:43 AM

Getting a lot of popups.. ads saying I won a phone etc. cannot back out of it I have to close the article several times before being able to read it through to the end. Any thoughts

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Re: Awful Announcing...

Dec 16, 2017, 11:54 AM [ in reply to Awful Announcing... ]

I should have read the article.. sorry. It appears that this affects mostly streaming and the RSA’s. Don’t know that it’s going to be cheaper to watch regional games unless you subscribe to another package. I have direct tv and subscribe to the sports package so maybe that stays in that package but may increase in price.

Re: It gives ESPN the lion-share of regional MLB coverage.

Dec 14, 2017, 11:49 AM [ in reply to It gives ESPN the lion-share of regional MLB coverage. ]

The loss of on air talent for their baseball shows was just a capital money savings move to improve the bottom line for investors & major plays like this one. Now they have a larger talent pool to pick from & move around.

The RSNs aren't losing content because of the conference networks. The. Clemson games that people always complain about being blacked out on the WATCHESPN app are now on the Fox RSN. They're the lower tiered games that are still contracted.

As far as baseball is concerned it's going to be very interesting because the MLB app I buy every year to watch the Cubs on was run on BAMTECH which is now majority owned by Disney also. Now that they have the streaming & RSN it could get pricey. Hope not.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Disney/ESPN acquiring Fox/Fox Sports

Dec 14, 2017, 11:12 AM

Cartoon characters on the sidelines , just as it should be .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Dec 14, 2017, 11:24 AM

With first down markers showing Disney princess theme....loooove it.

Dec 14, 2017, 11:25 AM

Actually enjoyed Fox Broadcasters. Nice change from same old ESPN guys.

Extraordinarily Bad and possibly illegal

Dec 14, 2017, 11:53 AM

This should get antitrust scutiny as it's basically monopolizing sports entertainment. Now, only CBS and NBC are the outliers with the AFC, some SEC games, the NCAA tournament, the Masters, and US Open. Now Iger has almost all of sports to push his social agenda and 2020 presidential campaign.

I hope they get rid of Joe Buck he's an awhole***

Dec 14, 2017, 12:05 PM

Re: I hope they get rid of Joe Buck he's an awhole***

Dec 16, 2017, 12:08 PM

Doesnt effect Fox Sports.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How much asz kissing can the SEC take?***

Dec 16, 2017, 11:36 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 16, 2017, 11:38 AM

I think it’s bad. Any media outlet they already own has no middle ground. George Soros is heavily invested in Disney media which says a lot to me. Regardless of political affiliation coverage and news need to be factual and non biased

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic