Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Gene Sapakoff of the Charleston Post&Courier wrote
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 2,846

Gene Sapakoff of the Charleston Post&Courier wrote

Mar 6, 2014, 4:26 PM

a column recently (after the usuck series) chiding Clemson pitchers for "pumping their fist" after a strikeout or after getting a big out.

And yet, after usuck basketball coach Frank Martin humiliated another player with a profanity-laced tirade during their game against Florida or after the chicken crowd was assessed a double technical foul for throwing debris on the court, ol' Gene's been noticeably quiet.

Perhaps there WAS something to a letter written to the editors of the P&C last week and signed by two current presidents of Lowcountry IPTAY clubs and one former president taking the newspaper to task for an obvious bias thats permeates their sports pages.

Then again, I suppose all us Clemson fans could be mistaken about the local media.

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's not like he did it at their dugout

Mar 6, 2014, 4:35 PM

I don't see anything wrong with baseball players showing some emotion. I'd say that getting a double play (I think that's what it was) when they were threatening to tie the game up is something worth getting excited about if you have a pulse. As stuffy as these guys are, I wonder what they'd have done if we reacted the way they did to Greiner's GS or to getting out of some jams we put them in.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Gene Jack (errr Sapakoff) is a moron....

Mar 6, 2014, 4:40 PM

working for a Capon propaganda rag (The Charleston News & Spurrier).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

My wife asked me this morning if I wanted to cancel the

Mar 6, 2014, 4:41 PM

Post and Courier subscription because I complain in the mornings about their obvious bias against the Tigers in their sports coverage.

The beat writer for Clemson is an obvious SEC sycophant who goes negative all the time. It seems to be a department wide problem.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I stopped subscribing to that rag a couple of years ago.

Mar 6, 2014, 4:48 PM

Their sports section is a joke, and their coverage of Clemson is minimal.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I stopped subscribing to that rag a couple of years ago.

Mar 6, 2014, 10:24 PM

Some Gamecock fans have called him Gene "Tiger" Sapakoff for his pro-Clemson pieces. Fans always think the media is out to get their team.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I stopped subscribing to that rag a couple of years ago.

Mar 7, 2014, 6:47 AM [ in reply to I stopped subscribing to that rag a couple of years ago. ]

I know they do not cover Clemson in any positive way but if U think they are bad U should try that RAG in c$$tville

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Gene Sapakoff of the Charleston News&Courier wrote

Mar 6, 2014, 4:43 PM

No you are correct. I have been reading the Post and Courier since I was a teenager and it has basically been turned into another "The State". Sapakoff is an SEC homer, Ryan Wood is a coot beat writer who never writes anything negative about USuC and sees it as the ultimate university, and they publish Korncoot's fiction each week. I don't even bother reading the sports section anymore. But, don't worry, they will answer the Letter to the Editor about them being bias. It will be a very sarcastic response.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's a travesty what McClatchy did to The State

Mar 6, 2014, 4:48 PM

The State used to give each team pretty fair treatment back when I was in high school (early 2000s). USC would typically get the front of the sports page but Clemson would get the entire back page. Seems about right for a paper based in Columbia. It would have color photos for both though, and The State had a beat writer for each.

Now it is seriously a Coot U propaganda rag EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR. I kid you not, all throughout the year they are on the FRONT page (either a picture and headline at the top or an actual story), not just the front of the sports page. Next to zero Clemson coverage anymore, just stuff copied from the Greenville news or Anderson Independent Mail. I just can't see how that is a better business model than trying to be a paper that appeals to the entire state (as its name suggests).

Message was edited by: CTiger423®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Gene Sapakoff was my baseball coach years ago

Mar 6, 2014, 5:00 PM

I'm talking little league, and he was super nice then, but of course being a journalist he has to write what people want to read. And unfortunately in Charleston, that is mainly pumping Scar.

And his son is a huge Clemson fan.***

Mar 7, 2014, 1:16 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Who reads the paper anymore?

Mar 6, 2014, 5:55 PM

Just trying to grab an audience to sell more papers.

It doesn't make a lot of sense for a paper to alienate the

Mar 6, 2014, 6:00 PM

fans that can actually read.

Thanks for the post....While I'm not familiar with the

Mar 6, 2014, 9:15 PM

Charleston paper, if it's anything like "The State" here in Columbia, then it's only a shell of its former self.

The leadership here has given itself to pandering largely to Gamecock interests, while giving Clemson short shrift, even considering the thousands of CU alumni and fans residing in the Midlands. Perhaps, the greatest blunder of recent memory, one that brought scorn across the nation from other media types, was the Morris/Spurrier fiasco.

Their argument, of course, would be one of economics. My counter would suggest balanced, non-prejudicial coverage would, also, reap greater revenue from business leaders loyal to Clemson. Additionally, in my opinion they are guilty of a lack of journalistic integrity with the obvious bias in their writing. The Clowney speeding series comes to mind.

Lastly, I have no doubts that the likes of Herman Helms, Bill Rone and Bill Workman, all former editors at "The State," among others would cringe at the paper, as it now exists. It's no longer a major daily...it's a local fish wrapper.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did a couple of good stories about Pro day and Q B compete

Mar 6, 2014, 9:31 PM

competition today - at least they have a beat writer for us, who does a pretty good job, unlike The Coot!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He also missed the USuC pitchers doing same in game one

Mar 6, 2014, 9:35 PM

and two of the series.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Gene Sapakoff of the Charleston Post&Courier wrote

Mar 7, 2014, 4:36 AM

Wow....you missed the whole point of that article. Martin cussing a player is NOT going to motivate the other team. He suggested that the Clemson players pumping their fist was a motivation for the South Carolina players to bear down and take care of business. Two different episodes with two different possible results.

I think people are reading too much into both episodes.***

Mar 7, 2014, 11:29 AM

Mar 7, 2014, 10:22 AM

Isn't Sapakoff a Clemson grad?

Don't think so.***

Mar 7, 2014, 11:37 AM

Mar 7, 2014, 10:30 AM

if this had been a Clemson coach it would have been on the front page... but since it is c$$t coach they said that the one article would be all said about it..more EXTREME BIAS!!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 2,846
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic