Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anyone here ever live in Bristol TN/VA
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Anyone here ever live in Bristol TN/VA

Jun 24, 2012, 12:02 PM

What is it like?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Anyone here ever live in Bristol TN/VA

Jun 24, 2012, 12:10 PM

Visited there for a job offer after college 20 years ago. It seemed nice.

Jun 24, 2012, 12:23 PM

I lived in both Johnson City (25 miles away) and Bristol growing up. Left at age 14. That was a long time ago ... I am 73 now ... but I have been there numerous times on business over the years. Beautiful mountain scenery and great weather if you like somewhere with 4 distinct seasons. Tri-Cities airport has good service. Kingsport is the third town. They are in a triangle roughly 25 miles apart. Kingsport's claim to fame is a huge Eastman Kodak plant. Johnson City has East Tennessee State Univ. and a large VA facility. Bristol is famous for it's state line running down the middle of main street. Srores on one side of the street are in Tennessee and the ones on the other side are in Virginia. All three towns have good hospitals and schools. Hope that helps.

Some of my people work "up at the Eastman".

Jun 24, 2012, 1:21 PM

Or at least used to.

You covered it well. Growing up I had relatives in Britsol and outside of Kingsport (Churh Hill). My dad was born in Johnson City.

Like SW VA, where I now live, not a rich area, but also not overly crowded and a fairly low cost of living.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you guys***

Jun 24, 2012, 1:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyone here ever live in Bristol TN/VA ]

Jun 24, 2012, 2:07 PM

Brother and sister-in-law, both from Greenville, have lived in Kingsport, which is part of the tri-city area which includes Bristol, since they married in 1967. They all love it. We have visited many times over the years. It is a really nice area in which to live.
They do get a lot more snow than we do, though.

Jun 24, 2012, 2:08 PM

Born and grew up in Kpt. Each town that makes up the Tri-Cities has good secondary school systems. Each of the major HSs have good athletic programs and traditions (TN High won the mythical national championship in '70 or '71, Science Hill has had temendous basketball teams in the recent past, and my alma matar has most HS basketball wins in the nation, 3rd most HS baseball wins in the nation, and football has the most wins in the state of TN). The mountains are very nice (the AT goes through Hampton), lakes are nice, and the climate is a little cooler thean here in SC. Oh ... the state tax rate is zero, but you almost make up for it in sales tax. Either town or area would be a great place to settle and raise kids.

Jun 24, 2012, 4:45 PM

We live in Knoxville but have visited the Bristol area a good bit in our 12 years in the area. I will concur with what the others have said about the area with one addendum ... you MUST visit a PAL's for a burger and peachy tea!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It depends on your age.

Jun 24, 2012, 5:00 PM

I lived in Johnson City, TN and worked in Bristol, VA right out of college for almost two years and I can't say I had the greatest experience. The mountains are pretty, but they are mostly marred with cheap architecture, nasty billboards on the highways, and trailers. The towns are rundown and junky looking. There are very few semi-beautiful historic-type buildings. Also, as I was in my early 20's at that time, I had a really hard time finding quality friends. Most of the people I met in my age range were methamphetamine addicts, which is not good at all. As someone said, cost of living is dirt cheap, but there's a reason for that--you get what you pay for. That being said, I agree about PAL's peach tea. I'm probably glad I never saw the nutritional information for that place though.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 24, 2012, 5:09 PM

I live in New Castle, VA. Its a couple of hrs away. But it still has the same type of view. And I go through there atleast 3x every year. Bristol is a nice place. It's big enough to offer you all the things of city life. But small enough for a small town feel. The crime rate is very low, and the school system is quite good

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic