Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Cussing students not a Clemson only issue
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Cussing students not a Clemson only issue

Sep 11, 2019, 1:31 PM

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/local/2019/09/11/expletive-you-chants-msus-spartan-stadium-concern-alumni/2262318001/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Cussing students not a Clemson only issue

Sep 11, 2019, 1:38 PM

Students are going to use bad language at football games. Lots of other fans will as well. That is something that everyone needs to accept.

However, I don't think it reflects well on a school or fan base for groups to organize and yell those words in unison or as a chant.

This applies just as much to other fans as it does to students, although students are the most likely to start a chant in a stadium.

I know there is a group that says, "everybody says it and hears it so it's no big deal" but having random people yelling those words amidst the roar of the crowd is not the same as a very clear chant.

Sep 11, 2019, 1:42 PM

It is a poor reflection on our students and society as a whole that people seem to be utterly incapable of speaking a simple sentence without using the F word. I must have heard it 50 times in casual conversation Saturday and with small kids around. It's to the point it is not a "cuss" word anymore because it is constantly used.

I'm sort of on both sides of the issue...

Sep 11, 2019, 2:29 PM

I'm a parent, so I respect parents rights to teach their kids to use language that society considers respectful. For this reason, out of respect for others rights, I do not use foul language in front of children, or strangers unless I'm in a sports bar (w/ no kids) or something.

However, from a logical standpoint, it would be better if there were no offensive words. There is nothing actually immoral about any combination of letters. It's what we decide, arbitrarily. No single word SHOULD be offensive, but we choose to make it that way. That said, short of changing society, I choose not to use most profanity around kids.

But, I'm also not taking my kid on the Hill, because that would be asking for it. Students are going to cuss. They should be allowed to cuss. People should get over it... unless students are being wreckless with their profanity. If a student section chants the f word in unison, knowing that thousands of kids will hear it, then those students are being trash. Students should be civilized enough to moderate their profanity based on circumstances. Not for morals, but just out of respect for others. People who don't respect others do not deserve respect shown to them.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2019, 2:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Cussing students not a Clemson only issue ]

Agree. Nothing worse than hearing that F word out loud though. If people only knew how trashy they sound and appear. When I hear people use it like in a public I just shake my head and think to myself "trash".

Correct. I think foul language should be corrected in general

Sep 11, 2019, 3:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Cussing students not a Clemson only issue ]

kids shouldn’t have to hear it. We foster, and take pride in, a family atmosphere and that’s everyone’s responsibility.

But to envision a world where there’s NO foul language at all, at a football game, with 80,000 packed together, and alcohol has been heavily involved, and emotions are running high...that’s a tough thing to expect.

The student body incorporating foul language into Clemson cheers in unison is something completely different. It is an embarrassment on the school and the students, and creates that absolute wrong environment and image.

null

Sep 11, 2019, 1:41 PM

We had a group of recent Clemson grads sitting near us during the A&M game and it was a constant "F" bomb. I could tell by their accents they weren't born south of the Mason-Dixon line.

An occasional glare would slow it down. I would have had to say something if there had been children nearby. I've dropped the "F" Bomb more than once in my life time but not in a setting like that.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2019, 1:53 PM

One thing I've noticed in my work place is that folks who are 40-45 or older do not use bad language in public. But many of the younger ones think nothing of dropping F bombs.

None in the world are worse that the students at..........

Sep 11, 2019, 1:51 PM

Sanford Stadium in Athens. The Georgia students don't care who they cuss out or how young they happen to be, etc.

It a f6c31ng football game

Sep 11, 2019, 1:54 PM

not a Sunday School class. I’ve heard similar complaints from people at our stadium.

The cheers of the 50-60s era were just as “lively” and kind.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Re: It a f6c31ng football game

Sep 11, 2019, 1:55 PM

I’d love to have a cheer book from the rat era

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

I'll tell you what! I was upset

Sep 11, 2019, 1:54 PM

With the Oakland Raiders' student section on Monday night shouting, "F##k AB"! Dang near had to wash my ears out. Unsettling...

Coot students yell "go, fight, win, kick ###, #### Clemson"***

nm

Message was edited by: CTiger423®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It’s shameful when the school has to step in because their

Parents didn’t teach them manners.

Sep 11, 2019, 2:11 PM

https://www.sciencealert.com/people-who-swearing-cursing-rude-words-better-vocabulary-science

Students chanting cuss words....bad form.

Cussing in front of kids....inconsiderate.

Cussing, it's just a word. If you don't like it, its sounds like a you issue.

This issue shows the lack discipline from those 1990's and

Sep 11, 2019, 2:26 PM

up parents with their kids. The under 40 crowd are a different breed of people today. They are not all like this but it is very common to see this kind of behavior among kids today. I notice cussing among the kids during the chants at both home games. During my young days in the 1980's you rarely heard cussing to this degree in Death Valley. It is really sad.

The definition of offensive changes with the times. Always

Sep 11, 2019, 2:34 PM

It used to be offensive to dance with your hips.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The definition of offensive changes with the times. Always

Sep 11, 2019, 3:36 PM

Off-topic...but my dads favorite religion joke...why don’t Baptist’s have sex standing up? Someone might see them and think they are dancing.

You ought to walk around campus. You'll hear girls with

Sep 11, 2019, 2:43 PM

mouths that would make a sailor blush.

Re: You ought to walk around campus. You'll hear girls with

Sep 11, 2019, 3:58 PM

Not possible.

Now maybe an Airmen would be embarrassed, or you'd have to explain it to a Marine. But never a Sailor.

And here's the reality, it's not any worse than its ever been. People have always cussed.

One of the most notorious cheers of my era in the 60's

Sep 11, 2019, 9:44 PM

was the "Rat sh*t, bat sh*t" one, which actually stunned when I first heard it on the Loggia performed for male and female students.

Being on the cheerleading team for three years, I led the cheer on occasions, but always away from DV.

I'm no saint, but the younger crowd throws out the F bombs and other profanities publicly the likes of which are surprising even to me.

I never heard my Father utter a word of profanity in his life, and although no prude, he simply remarked that true gentlemen and ladies would never lower themselves to using coarse language in front of others.

He had a point.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic