Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: Clemson DC coaching search
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

Football Update: Clemson DC coaching search

Jan 13, 2012, 11:39 AM

Clemson DC coaching search

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice!

Jan 13, 2012, 11:43 AM

I hope we can get this guy

No

Jan 13, 2012, 11:45 AM

That OU defense looks real great, huh.

Isn't big 12 known for offense?***

Jan 13, 2012, 11:46 AM

Re: Isn't big 12 known for offense?***

Jan 13, 2012, 11:48 AM

There is not a good defense in the big 12. Not a good hire imo. If it happens hope I am proven wrong

So why is he leaving Oklahoma? I love Clemson as much

Jan 13, 2012, 12:54 PM

as anyone, but I can't consider DC at OU to DC at Clemson a lateral move.

Also, his defensive ranks over the last few years - albeit against better competition than we face - don't exactly excite me.

Can anyone explain the deal here?

There's something in these here hills.

Jan 13, 2012, 12:58 PM

h
t
h

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Anywhere from Oklahoma is, at best, lateral...

Jan 13, 2012, 1:04 PM [ in reply to So why is he leaving Oklahoma? I love Clemson as much ]

My understanding is the top locations vying for him are Auburn and WVa. Clemson easily has as much, if not more, to offer than they do.

Unless he wanted to try his hand in the NFL, or become a head coach, no place was a step up from Oklahoma. but when the HC gives your job to someone else, it's time to move on.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As far as his leaving...

Jan 13, 2012, 1:12 PM [ in reply to So why is he leaving Oklahoma? I love Clemson as much ]

When Stoops's brother was fired at Arizona, he came back to OK as co-DC, that may figure into Venables' desire to leave.

Plus, given Venables is making a good deal less than Steele was, so if he has a mercenary streak...

Re: So why is he leaving Oklahoma? I love Clemson as much

Jan 13, 2012, 7:40 PM [ in reply to So why is he leaving Oklahoma? I love Clemson as much ]

Here is the deal. Randy Shannon would be I honestly believe the very best for Clemson. He knows our recruiting area a 10000 times better than the other two. Shannon could and would elevate our recruiting in Florida. And he has a H&LL of a resume as a winning DC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So why is he leaving Oklahoma? I love Clemson as much

Jan 13, 2012, 8:00 PM [ in reply to So why is he leaving Oklahoma? I love Clemson as much ]

Money

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Venables was the first guy that came to my mind. Dabo has to

Jan 13, 2012, 1:09 PM

hire a name in this situation and Venables would be one. I'm sure Dabo has already gotten an agreement from said replacement before letting Kevin Steele go.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgtnt_user_logo.pngbadge-ringofhonor-elswann.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bob brought Mike in and made him a co-coordinator. BV

Jan 13, 2012, 2:24 PM

has been rumored to be a HC candidate in the past. Not sure what is up with this but I trust that BV can coach. Blood is thicker than water and BV may be on the outside looking in.

Yep. I'll bet that Venables feels at least a bit slighted by

Jan 13, 2012, 2:54 PM

moving the family in as "Co-DC", plus, he would stand to make a good bit more here at Clemson... particularly if he can get a hold of Steele's agent's number.

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks; but I do fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times. - Bruce Lee

I agree ...has to hire a name....

Jan 13, 2012, 8:05 PM [ in reply to Venables was the first guy that came to my mind. Dabo has to ]

You don't get rid of a coach with Steele's pedigree and then hire a HS phenom from South Alabama. Not at Clemson. Think about it...Swinney is a young HC and has not a clue about defensive coordinating. If Clark gets in over his head there is no safety net of support. And if Clark falls flat on his face Dabo looks like a fool for firing Steele and bringing in a HS coach. He could get away with it with Morris coming in behind the green Napier, but not this time. I'd prefer Shannon because I think he has a better upside for recruiting and his track record for D performance is better. Venables is the obvious #2 pick. Clemson putting the concerns about Shannon and the Miami scandal above hiring the best defensive coordinator shows that we still aren't quite ready for primetime IMO.

Chad hire

Jan 14, 2012, 4:39 PM

dismisses your argument.Solid hire and in his first year won the ACC.His record and style of offense made DS get him.

Re: Football Update: Clemson DC coaching search

Jan 13, 2012, 2:48 PM

Slanted statistics really #### me off! The OU D gave up 40+ plus points in 3 losses against spread offenses last year! This is not the right guy, maybe he can stop Usuc, GaTech and Vatech but I don't think this is the guy. What about recruiting???

Jan 13, 2012, 4:09 PM

We would have our two main coordinators from TX and OK... That could really open up that area. Also, we have Dabo and Scott on top of everybody else! Who else do we need to recruit? If we start blowing opponents out, that (in itself)will be our main recruiter.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2012, 7:45 PM

We "may" get one recruit a year from WAYYYYY out there. Families want to see their kids play FB.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good point***

Jan 14, 2012, 8:38 AM

Agree

Jan 13, 2012, 4:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: Clemson DC coaching search ]

This could be big mistake hire just get a "Big-Name".He would also wont a huge contract off the get go.We need a "pay per performance" guy that can prove his #### first.

What about the 2011 stats?***

Jan 13, 2012, 4:06 PM

Makes u wonder

Jan 13, 2012, 4:18 PM

you were meant to see what they want you to see.

2011 was a debacle

Jan 13, 2012, 4:16 PM

for OU defense and is strangely not addressed by B-Meist.Everyone wants a "Big-Name" hire and appear the PR machine is pumping it hard.

Bill Clark is the other serious candidate in play and his career defense numbers are ridiculous.

In South Alabama's first two seasons, the Jags' defense has held its own.

In 2009, it allowed 5.9 points, 60.7 yards rushing and 173.1 yards passing per game, made 14 interceptions and recovered 8 fumbles, and had 35 tackles for a loss and 14 sacks.

Last season, against better competition, the Jags' defense allowed 13 points, 81.2 rushing yards and 173.4 passing yards a game. The defense recovered 10 fumbles, added 15 interceptions, and made 67 tackles for a loss and 24 sacks.

Assistnat Head Coach/ Deefnsive Coordinator at University South Alabama 2008-Present
Only 41 points scored against his USA defense in his first season coaching st the college level
USA undefeated in first two seasons of college football
Head Coach Prattville HS, ALbama 1999-2007 with a 107-11 record, a .907 winning percentage
Two-time 6AAAAAA Alabama State Champion, 2006 (Hoover) and 2007 (Spain Park) while winning his last 30 games in a row!
Over 9 seasons and 118 games at Prattville HS, Alabama, his defenses averaged 9.5 points per game allowed
In 2003, his defense allowed ridiculous 3.8 points per game for their 13 game season
Of the 118 high school games, his defenses shut out their opponents 31 times (over 25% on the games) including 7 shutsouts in 2003 and 6 shutouts in 2007
He set an Alabama State record for 56 consecutive regular season wins
Ranked #2 in USA Today's 2007 National High School Football Poll
2007 Alabama High School Coaches Association Coach of the Year
2007 Schutt Southeast Regional High School Coach of the Year
He is Prattville High School's all-time winningest Coach since they began keeping records in 1949, .907 winning percentage
Won 7 consecutive Alabama Region 4, 6AAAAAA titles (2001-2007)

Re: 2011 was a debacle

Jan 13, 2012, 4:36 PM

sounds good to me

welcome newby***

Jan 13, 2012, 8:15 PM [ in reply to 2011 was a debacle ]

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sold.

Jan 13, 2012, 4:34 PM

somebody get him an orange shirt

Coach Bill Clark

Jan 13, 2012, 4:58 PM

Is the best up and coming defensive coordinator in the country!
And the OTHER legit candidate for the job.Look at hire bio and career,the defensive stats are STINGY!

In South Alabama's first two seasons, the Jags

In 2009, it allowed 5.9 points, 60.7 yards rushing and 173.1 yards passing per game, made 14 interceptions and recovered 8 fumbles, and had 35 tackles for a loss and 14 sacks.

Last season, against better competition, the Jags' defense allowed 13 points, 81.2 rushing yards and 173.4 passing yards a game. The defense recovered 10 fumbles, added 15 interceptions, and made 67 tackles for a loss and 24 sacks.

Assistnat Head Coach/ Deefnsive Coordinator at University South Alabama 2008-Present
Only 41 points scored against his USA defense in his first season coaching st the college level
USA undefeated in first two seasons of college football
Head Coach Prattville HS, ALbama 1999-2007 with a 107-11 record, a .907 winning percentage
Two-time 6AAAAAA Alabama State Champion, 2006 (Hoover) and 2007 (Spain Park) while winning his last 30 games in a row!
Over 9 seasons and 118 games at Prattville HS, Alabama, his defenses averaged 9.5 points per game allowed
In 2003, his defense allowed ridiculous 3.8 points per game for their 13 game season
Of the 118 high school games, his defenses shut out their opponents 31 times (over 25% on the games) including 7 shutsouts in 2003 and 6 shutouts in 2007
He set an Alabama State record for 56 consecutive regular season wins
Ranked #2 in USA Today's 2007 National High School Football Poll
2007 Alabama High School Coaches Association Coach of the Year
2007 Schutt Southeast Regional High School Coach of the Year
He is Prattville High School's all-time winningest Coach since they began keeping records in 1949, .907 winning percentage
Won 7 consecutive Alabama Region 4, 6AAAAAA titles (2001-2007)

http://www.thetotaldefense.com/3-4-defense
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/08/jaguars_coach_bill_clark_build.html

Re: Coach Bill Clark little league coach

Jan 13, 2012, 6:52 PM

Dabo has big names interested. Hiring from colleges minor leagues at this is no different than hiring from within the staff.Clark may be great big DC one day,but I don't remember a time lately when big name coaches were interested in Clemson.

........^^^^^Perfectly stated....time to start making....

Jan 13, 2012, 8:08 PM

decisions that are commensurate with what Clemson fans deserve.

Chad Morris

Jan 13, 2012, 11:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Coach Bill Clark little league coach ]

says hello

Weird how Wikipedia says TigerNet says Venables hired.

Jan 13, 2012, 6:45 PM

The first paragraph on from the T-Net article was copied from Wikipedia. The rest was copied from the OU website.

But oddly, the Venables Wikipedia article says:
"In 2012, Venables replaced Kevin Steele as Clemson's defensive coordinator" says TFL of Tigernet.com.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brent_Venables

Jan 13, 2012, 7:46 PM

Something tells me Bill Clark is the guy we need.

Jan 13, 2012, 7:53 PM

H&LLLLL NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

better record than anyone else

Jan 13, 2012, 11:42 PM

being considered on any level.

Wanting big names has been a waste of time and money at Clemson.

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic