Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is this the year ND learns they must join a conference?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Is this the year ND learns they must join a conference?

Nov 11, 2017, 7:46 AM

Imagine this scenario- Bama and UGA make the playoffs with one combined loss. Clemson, ND, and Oklahoma win out. I believe Notre Dame is left out in that scenario. 538 backs this premise,

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2017-college-football-predictions/

If that happens, I believe Notre Dame will see the handwriting on the wall and join. The ACC. That could mean a TV contract that equals the SEC, and evens the money with the SEC and Big 10.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sadly us or Ok would be left out before ND***

Nov 11, 2017, 7:53 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Possibly, but there are ADs & former coaches on the committee

Nov 11, 2017, 8:06 AM

who may not be too fond of Notre Dame's holier than thou attitude, that they are too good to be in a conference. If I knew they would get left out, I could almost pull for them to go 11-1.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

HAHAHA...a 12-1 ACC Champ. makes the playoff

Nov 11, 2017, 8:22 AM [ in reply to Sadly us or Ok would be left out before ND*** ]

...no matter what. "Sadly to say" for ND it doesn't matter what they do if Clemson wins out.

An undefeated ND team may knock out a 2-loss ACC Champ, not a 12-1 Champ. unless it's Miami (unless beat them and its the tie-breaker).

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sadly us or Ok would be left out before ND***

Nov 11, 2017, 8:42 AM [ in reply to Sadly us or Ok would be left out before ND*** ]

You provide no data to support your assumption. 538 uses a high level statistical model. The most important criteria are conference championship and head to head when deciding between 2 teams. I’ll trust 538 over your assumption, but thanks.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In you scenario, 2 teams are left out including one that is

Nov 11, 2017, 7:53 AM

in a conference. Who do you suppose that team is and how does being in a conference benefit them?

Dream Scenario

Nov 11, 2017, 8:02 AM

ND joins and gets Penn State to come w them who as always felt out of place in Big 10.
ACC North: ND, PSU, Louisville, Pitt, BC, VT, UVA, Cuse
South: Clemson, 4 NC schools, GT, FSU, Miami
9 conference games: play other 7 in your division and alternating 2 from other each year so all teams are played every 4 years.

SEC grabs OK and OK st
PAC 12 grabs the Texas 4
Big 10 grabs Kansas, Kansas St, UConn

4 power conferences all agree for 9 conference games and two power 4 games against other conferences. 8 team playoff with division winners eliminating polls/computers/human bias picking and conference championships as semifinals.

If you only have 4 P5 conferences, why do you need a 8 team

Nov 11, 2017, 8:12 AM

playoff? The conference championships would basically be your first round anyway.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is my thought as well

Nov 11, 2017, 8:26 AM

but it doesn't seem to be too popular

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wish we played the 4 NC schools every year

Nov 11, 2017, 8:25 AM [ in reply to Dream Scenario ]

I hate playing Sarahcuse and BC instead of Duke and UNC. I'd like to play white meat every year too

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I wish we played the 4 NC schools every year

Nov 11, 2017, 10:51 AM

Give me UVA now and then as well.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Penn State loves the Big Ten

Nov 11, 2017, 10:39 AM [ in reply to Dream Scenario ]

Their two major rivals are just a few hours drive away.

Re: Dream Scenario

Nov 11, 2017, 10:59 AM [ in reply to Dream Scenario ]

Hahahahahaha

If ND wins out, they are unquestionably in

Nov 11, 2017, 8:47 AM

The playoff. Blowout wins over USC (the real one), Mich St and NC state, wins v Stanford and Miami and a 1 Point loss to Georgia. No way they get left out and rightfully so.

Re: If ND wins out, they are unquestionably in

Nov 11, 2017, 8:59 AM

This is not true. ND lacks a conference championship and the 13th data point. If you go to the site, you can see these things matter. The committee looks at resumes and data points, not feelings. Notre Dame has a good resume, but lacks those last 2 data points. Conference championship is at the top of inclusion criteria.

Nov 11, 2017, 9:01 AM

I'm thinking he was trolling.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 11, 2017, 9:00 AM [ in reply to If ND wins out, they are unquestionably in ]

They don't have to play in a conference championship game and are penalized for it. This is fact. A 1 loss Conference Champion will always be preferred over a 1 loss ND.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 11, 2017, 10:20 AM [ in reply to If ND wins out, they are unquestionably in ]

I think y’all are putting way to much emphasis on that 13th game when one of the 13 was against an FCS opponent while ND played 12 P5 opponents. I don’t think it will matter that the 13th game was for a CC, it will still be just the 12th game against a P5 opponent. It will also be against a game against a team ND has already beaten if they are still in the discussion which means they will have beaten the Canes today.

I’m thinking we better root for the Canes and Auburn today and for Bama to hand the dawgs their second L in their CCG to make dang sure of it because all of this is just speculation and opinion on what the committee will actually do. I would rather be sure than them having to discuss it.

Nov 11, 2017, 11:03 AM

That 13th data point has kept the Big 12 out before. Notre Dame will not have a conference championship, there is no debate about that.

Most likely No. If they go 11-1 it will reinforce they dont need to under most scenarios.***

Nov 11, 2017, 9:01 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is this the year ND learns they must join a conference?

Nov 11, 2017, 10:51 AM

Haha good one, ND learn

Re: Nothing will change ND's attitude toward money.

Nov 11, 2017, 11:16 AM

They can't take a paycut to join a conference now. Until the brand falls so far that the networks stop giving them the big contracts they will continue as they are now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic