Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
UNC defensive game plan was great and will be copied
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

UNC defensive game plan was great and will be copied

Sep 29, 2019, 5:51 PM

They stacked the box, played tight single man on the outside, with 2 deep. Sometimes very deep and protected the sideline. The middle of the field was open, very open. Our offense has relied on getting the run game and screen game going, then hitting the go route. Teams are going to bait TL to throw over the middle from here on out. Throws need to get down.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: UNC defensive game plan was great and will be copied

Sep 29, 2019, 5:54 PM

After reading that one thing is obvious...you're not Brady, Tom

Sep 29, 2019, 6:08 PM

Even the best OC must realize at some point in time when a play does not work. We obviously are getting paid for the number of screen and bubble passes we attempt with minimal gain or a loss. It continues to be used all game long and is a failure. Head scratcher.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 29, 2019, 8:28 PM

Agreed. The wide receiver screen/bubble screen hardly ever goes for more than a couple of yards, and an interception waiting to happen. Erase that play from the play book. It baffles me why we still run it.

I hate the sideways pass. Hate it.***

Sep 29, 2019, 8:53 PM [ in reply to Re: UNC defensive game plan was great and will be copied ]

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 29, 2019, 6:17 PM

My take is Swinney and OC's were confident the Offense could put UNC away with an unsophisticated game plan. They were saving the big guns other average teams Clemson will play in regular season, South Carolina, UVA in ACC championship and playoffs. Clemson coaches were surprised when the whole time crafty old Mack Brown was sweet talking and sand bagging Swinney about the lack of UNC talent, he was also telling UNC players they could shock the world by hitting the Tigers in the mouth with his coordinators' game plan. It almost worked.

Defense is still the strength of this Tiger team and BV is still the best coach, but the talent on this Offense means they're always uber-capable when motivated with a respectable game plan.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So how long before we see a real plan?***

Sep 29, 2019, 8:55 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 29, 2019, 9:25 PM [ in reply to Re: UNC defensive game plan was great and will be copied ]

O-Line play was atrocious all game long. All the 5 star skill players can’t do a thing when the QB is running for his life all day!

Idk people said the same thing after TAMU last year

Sep 29, 2019, 6:26 PM

Sep 29, 2019, 6:28 PM

I hope our unagressive play calling will not.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 29, 2019, 6:38 PM

They didn’t play that great , we just played very sloppy. Very bad penalties, a missed easy FG and a careless fumble when we started to get it going.
We play a normal first half the game is over

How exactly are you stacking the box when both safety's...

Sep 29, 2019, 7:30 PM

are plating back deep?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How exactly are you stacking the box when both safety's...

Sep 29, 2019, 7:51 PM

Maybe that means drive killing false starts.

This is how you stack it with 2 deep

Sep 29, 2019, 8:25 PM [ in reply to How exactly are you stacking the box when both safety's... ]

Sep 29, 2019, 8:28 PM

Teams have tried to stack the box all year but other than A&M and UNC didn't have much success. But both A&M and UNC slowed down their play on offense to eat into the Tiger's time to run plays. Here's a couple stats:

Clemson ran 61 plays against UNC and 68 against A&M. In both games Clemson was held to under 400 yards and lost the time of possession battle. So far this season, the Tigers are ranked 75th averaging 69.3 plays per game. Last year they averaged in the mid-70s and were ranked 57th.

Stack the box on defense and slowing down the game is impacting the Tigers. One way for the Clemson offense to increase the number of plays is to reduce the time between plays. I believe it's coming when more depth is developed on Defense.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 29, 2019, 8:37 PM

I would be happy would we demonstrate greater tempo.

as for opposing d's, not too worried, but when teams snap before our d is set, well that bothers.

Sep 29, 2019, 9:31 PM [ in reply to Re: UNC defensive game plan was great and will be copied ]

UNC has a talented corps of receivers that exposed our secondary. Turner is not quick enough to cover, and with Muse out, we were reeling. Depth has got to improve and develop quickly. FSU receivers are surely licking their chops!

Sep 29, 2019, 10:15 PM [ in reply to Re: UNC defensive game plan was great and will be copied ]

I think the the tempo game was needed yesterday to get the offense rolling and it never was utilized.

Also, hindsight being 20/20, the coaches need to strike a better balance between developing depth and getting our 1s and 2s necessary reps to develop rhythm confidence and continuity.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is this like the blueprint..

Sep 29, 2019, 9:28 PM

Uscjr gave everyone last year regarding our defense? How'd that work out.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic