Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is this for real?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 51

Is this for real?

Feb 23, 2013, 3:00 PM

Have a friend whose daughter got "bridged " yesterday contingent on her going to Tri-County Tech and staying in housing owned by someone connected to CU...is this how it works...sounds a little shady.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes.

Feb 23, 2013, 3:06 PM

and it is sketchy.

Re: Yes.

Feb 23, 2013, 3:24 PM

Tell your friend to get ready to be overcharged for housing you have to live in.

Yes, Bridge is a "racket".

Re: Is this for real?

Feb 23, 2013, 3:18 PM

My daughter did it a few years ago. It's not a bad program at all. She is now a junior a clemson. Bridge students can do everything a clemson student can do except rush fraternities/sororities and play sports. They can use Fike and play intramural just not on a team that is NCAA regulated.

Gotta fill all those Winkopp developments some how...***

Feb 23, 2013, 3:26 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

$800 per month per student for housing.

Feb 23, 2013, 3:31 PM

At Highpoint it's about $800'per month per student for housing.

Quite high for apartment living in Clemson.

You can go to TCTC and take the same courses as a Bridge student, set up your own housing and save a ton of $$.

Yep - nothing sketchy - totally legit:

Feb 23, 2013, 3:34 PM

I know quite a few kids who are doing it: http://www.clemson.edu/admissions/bridge/index.html

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

it is sketchy and totally legit:***

Feb 23, 2013, 3:36 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Feb 23, 2013, 3:43 PM

Living at Highpointe is $400 month plus utilitites for non-Bridge students.

Definitely shady, possibly illegal, certainly unethical. Might turn out to be one of those scandals that can tarnish legacies..

Yes it is ...

Feb 23, 2013, 3:45 PM

fine...I know of three that have been thru it and all today are Clemson Grads doing fine. It is a great program for those who want to go to Clemson and was unable to get in on the major they wanted, had borderline scores and helps with a young person coming from a small school or needing help in studying. Not a thing wrong with it and they get a lot more one on one that some that just barely missed it and will be entering Clemson as a regular student. Anything that will help a young person get their degree from Clemson....I am all for it. As for the housing...some people were just ahead of the game and thought about what would be needed. So they are making money off of students living there...give me a break...I wish I had been the one that came up with the dorms....Tom W has built his business and you are going to complain...It is free enterprise. He saw a vision and did it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Forethought had nothing to do with it....

Feb 23, 2013, 3:55 PM

TW flooded the market and overdeveloped the Clemson area. Then, when faced with the high, pre 2007 construction costs, and units not being sold/rented... he had to do something. Voila, a shady deal is struck with Clemson and everyone lived happily ever after.

"Excuse me? I don't go down to your work and tell you how to flip the burger!"

Pretty much...***

Feb 24, 2013, 3:31 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i've got to disagree. i can understand having to have

Mar 30, 2013, 7:44 PM [ in reply to Yes it is ... ]

certain grades, certain classes, etc. but to have to live at certain places is way past wrong. many colleges/universities make freshmen live on campus, but to go to a school that has no housing and be told that you have to live at certain privately owned-public type housing, or not be accepted to clemson from the bridge program, leaves the door open to think -exactly- what has been posted in this thread. to even have a clause in the program that invites this scrutiny is proof that it is wrong.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Read this...

Feb 23, 2013, 3:45 PM

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/clemson-university/870963-heres-scoop-bridge-program.html

"Excuse me? I don't go down to your work and tell you how to flip the burger!"

Feb 23, 2013, 3:46 PM

There are some other options. Coastal Carolina has a dual degree program for engineering with Clemson. You go to Coastal, do 3 years in physics or whatever. Then there's a guarantee to transfer into Clemson engineering. At the end you get a BS from Coastal in the major you started and a BS from Clemson in whatever engineering you transferred into. I think the benefit is the guarantee of transfer.

I guess they don't have a similar program for degrees that Coastal also offers, and it's very difficult to transfer into any architecture program.

http://kingfish.coastal.edu/physics/dual_degree/

Winkopp and TCTC

I believe at one time he was on TCTC Board of Trustees.

If so, that sounds very "fishy" as to how Bridge was put together.

Was there an open bid process on the housing arrangement?

Does Clemson get a piece of the action?

I have always been suspicious of the whole deal.

The entire Bridge Program is a scam

Feb 23, 2013, 3:53 PM

Some folks who think everything Clemson does is gold will say otherwise, but the entire set up is shady. There's no excuse for many of the students who get "bridged" to be put in there. Their grades and SATs are more than enough for admission to Clemson.

In some cases, kids who have better accolades are getting chosen over kids who don't.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Correction

Should read kids with better accolades are NOT getting chosen over kids who don't.

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

If your from Pakistan with camel dung...

Feb 23, 2013, 5:06 PM

you can get in, but not from South Carolina. Thank you Barker.

that dosent make sense***

Mar 30, 2013, 5:25 PM [ in reply to Correction ]

I hadn't heard about that. I just know quite a few kids who

Feb 23, 2013, 4:00 PM [ in reply to The entire Bridge Program is a scam ]

has worked well for.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Yes, the kids who really want in

Feb 23, 2013, 4:03 PM

Usually work well and get into Clemson. I know several who have done that.

But Clemson and Tom Winkopp still get their kickbacks off them.

Meanwhile, several great kids who really wanted to go to Clemson wind up going elsewhere while people less qualified than them somehow wind up getting accepted into Clemson.

Why do you think that is, about less qualified kids getting

Feb 23, 2013, 4:28 PM

in? Does that have anything to do with the Bridge program? Just curious.

- H. L. Mencken

Beats me.

Feb 23, 2013, 6:06 PM

Doesn't make a lot of sense.

I know a kid who just got accepted to Bridge, and the kid was also accepted to Furman and was in the running for a huge scholarship from FU. Yet students less qualified than this individual were accepted into Clemson.

Wow - that is weird.***

Feb 23, 2013, 6:10 PM

- H. L. Mencken

And probably not true or perfectly reasonable when all the

Feb 24, 2013, 7:39 PM

facts are available.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Oh we'll in that case...

Feb 24, 2013, 7:39 PM [ in reply to Beats me. ]

It has a lot to do with declared major, the spots available for that major etc. You can't use hearsay to back up your argument.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson gets a kickback from everything. What's your point?***

Feb 24, 2013, 7:37 PM [ in reply to Yes, the kids who really want in ]

Re: I hadn't heard about that. I just know quite a few kids who

Feb 23, 2013, 4:13 PM [ in reply to I hadn't heard about that. I just know quite a few kids who ]

me also!! IMHO this is GREAT PROGRAM!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The entire Bridge Program is a scam

Feb 23, 2013, 4:07 PM [ in reply to The entire Bridge Program is a scam ]

Disagree.

Re: The entire Bridge Program is a scam

Feb 23, 2013, 5:19 PM [ in reply to The entire Bridge Program is a scam ]

So how are they picking then? Out of a hat?

You can't prove any of that.***

Feb 24, 2013, 7:36 PM [ in reply to The entire Bridge Program is a scam ]

Bridge + housing

Feb 23, 2013, 4:17 PM

is less than tuition and housing at Clemson. They are hardly getting scammed

Re: Bridge + housing

Feb 23, 2013, 4:23 PM

well that is as it should be. nothing short of Clemson is worth what you pay for Clemson

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What.

Feb 23, 2013, 5:07 PM

Dude,

If you learned what you just said, at Clemson, please tell me you never graduated.

Yes they are.

Feb 24, 2013, 6:04 PM [ in reply to Bridge + housing ]

At least if the figures in this thread are correct in what Highpoint and the other fees cost.

It's apples and oranges to compare cost of 4 years at Clemson to the cost of the Bridge program. A more appropriate comparison would be the cost of the Bridge program versus the cost of two years of tech school and two years of Clemson without the Bridge.

2010_donor_pickem.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bridge is a one year program

Feb 24, 2013, 6:36 PM

and has guaranteed admittance to Clemson. Having to stay at Highpoint for one year isn't a scam with the end result.

Re: Bridge is a one year program

Feb 24, 2013, 8:20 PM

Yes, but why make native Sandlappers (CU legacies, at that) wait a year to get into our school? Academic rankings? Even worse, money? There will be many more indignant folks in a few years when they realize their children are not getting into school b/c of an uneven playing field. Greed is getting in the way of doing the right thing. That is NOT what the Clemson Family is all about.

Yes. If someone from NC has better accolades than someone

Feb 24, 2013, 7:42 PM

from SC, the NC student deserves the spot.

Re: Yes. If someone from NC has better accolades than someone

Feb 24, 2013, 7:50 PM

I disagree w/ you drummer.....obviously. I would love to hear the "facts".

Btw, been meaning to ask you abt your kit since I've noticed your posts. I've been playing for close to 40 years and have gone through plenty. Have finally settled on DW....Axis pedals and assorted cymbals. Always interested in talking w/ fellow drummers.

My daughter's tuition is $800 a semester

Mar 30, 2013, 6:12 PM [ in reply to Yes they are. ]

She'll transfer to State as a junior in engineering. She wanted to go to Clemson, but we've got two others entering college right behind her. Community college was a smart choice for us. Room and board is free. Classes are really small. The program is set up for easy transfer. $800 is a bargain compared to full tuition.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson subsidizing Winkopp***

Feb 23, 2013, 6:15 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes

Feb 24, 2013, 5:33 PM

Tri-County bridge students can stay in the same apartment complex's as actual Clemson student. EX: High Pointe

Re: Yes

Feb 24, 2013, 5:54 PM

I've heard all sorts of nasty rumors abt the BRIDGE program. From wealthy alumni/donors making a killing to Clemson padding our academic stats (and coffers
from oos students). What I do know is that many children from Clemson legacy families are doing well academically and not being admitted except through this program. In fact, most of us who attended Clemson 10 or 20 years ago couldn't get in today. I understand the need to be able to tout high admittance standards and get the extra money from oos students but we MUST look after our own. Is that being done now? To me, that is the fundamental question....not what USNWR ranks our school. Getting off my soapbox now.

Bridge is a scam

Feb 24, 2013, 6:10 PM

The costs of the Bridge program are dramatically higher than the costs of the same education (2 years of tech school + 2 years of Clemson) outside of the Bridge program. But with the Bridge program, you're buying guaranteed acceptance over other equally qualified kids who are not enrolled in Bridge. You and the other kid would be getting the same education, but because you padded Winkopp's and Clemson's pockets by buying into the Bridge program, you get in and they don't.

It's Capitalism, and it's completely legal. It's just shady and deviant. And if money is a larger concern than your desire to attend Clemson, you can get the same education elsewhere for far less.

2010_donor_pickem.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Like, wait for it, coot U?***

Feb 24, 2013, 7:43 PM

Free enterprise for Tom W yes Bridge student not so much.***

Feb 24, 2013, 6:23 PM

Bridge program

Feb 24, 2013, 6:26 PM

They will scam you when you move out for any small scratches or repairs to the W property as well - just another way for W to make money

Mar 30, 2013, 5:59 PM

The ONLY reason the Bridge program exists is because of Jim Barker's USNWR top 20 aspirations. By accepting them into Bridge, their SAT/ACT scores aren't counted. Almost all who are accepted to Bridge have really good scores, just not quite top 20. Once they transfer in to Clemson, their scores don't count toward Top 20. It would definitely make sense to go to Tri County but not as a Bridge student if those are your only two choices. It is much cheaper, and it is not at all hard to transer in to Clemson. Remember, the scores don't count for transfers. I have no problem at all with Tom Winkopp building the housing. Glad to see free enterprise and capitalism at work.

Replies: 48
| visibility 51
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic